The terrain-unwise Romans

also if you really want to get rid of a city w/ like 50+ units in them in like 1 turn nuke them & about half disapear and get really badly hurt :) its really really fun... the only cruddy thing is, is polution & the other AI will Declare war on you

I think Choxorn already knows that and he's gonna do it.

Well, I'll use nukes if the AI uses them on me, or if there's a city with too many defenders... :mischief: :nuke:

Chapter 42: Advancing down the West Coast

Hannibal looked out at the sea from his palace view. It was a wonderful view due to Carthage's location, as Carthage was a wonderful city to live in. Well, it was starting to degrade due to Fascism and due to bombardment from Roman Ships, but Hannibal still loved the city. Little did he know how little time he would have to keep it under his control.

Farther North, the ruins of Hippo left a mark on the landscape. An ugly mark. Or, they did, as these ruins are now invisible thanks to a new city, Eburacum, being built on top of it's ruins.

And now, time for the bombs. Yay bombs! Better yet, 2 Intercepting fighters were destroyed in the bombings, although so was one bomber. On the ground, an Infantry unit and a radar tower were destroyed.

Hadrian's Army and the recaptured artillery were in an awkward position. If they continued North, they would only keep being bombarded by Carthaginian artillery. But, they could attack Leptis Magna. If they succeeded, the awkward position would be no more. But, it might not be a good idea if Leptis Magna is too heavily defended. So, Agent Green was sent to do an investigative report of the city:

The city is not very heavily defended, so it will be attacked. Better yet, if the attack suceeds, 5 Jet Fighters and a Destroyer will be destroyed. So, the city was bombarded. In the battle, one of the Bombers was shot down, but so was an Intercepting Jet Fighter. Another Jet Fighter ws destroyed before it could take off.

Hadrian's Army attacked the defending Infantry. It managed to defeat one unit, but was so heavily damaged that it cannot attack again. So, Germanicus sent in his army, and a defending TOW unit and a defending Infantry unit were killed. The Fifth Army killed the remaining Infantry to finish the job. Leptis Magna has fallen, and the remaining Jet Fighters, plus the Destroyer, are scrap metal.

Near Oea, a unit of Tanks was present. Now they are spare parts. The unit of Tanks that did that job now attacked a unit of Infantry defending a Radar Tower on a mountain to the Southeast of Leptis Magna. They did some damage, then retreated. The next Tanks to attack were pwned. The third unit finally got rid of the Infantry and destroyed the Radar Tower.

Near Carthage, a unit of Tanks destroyed a Guerilla unit and a Radar Tower. Hannibal is in trouble.

Near Leptis Minor, another Radar Tower, plus the unit of Infantry defending it, were obliterated by Titus' Army.

Another Radar Tower and a Guerilla unit near Utica were destroyed by the 8th Army.

Carthage now counter-attacked, and destroyed 4 Roman Tank units, losing one tank unit themselves.

In the new world, the Maya recaptured Medina and China destroyed Cuello.

Back on Carthage, the city of Sabratha decided it liked Carthage better than Rome:

The citizens of Sabratha have just earned a one-way trip to Razeville.

Unfortunately, Sabratha's destruction could not be caused in 1986, since Carthage cheated and got 4 TOW Infantry units to the defense of the city (It is really, REALLY cheap that the AI's can do that). Only one of those TOWs were destroyed in 1986.

Back Near Leptis Minor, Titus' Army destroyed a Tank unit, and then escaped to Oea. Near Oea, the 8th Army did the same.

Bombing then commenced, and a Jet Fighter was destroyed, as were all of the TOW units in Sabratha. Why didn't they bomb first?

Tanks then attacked Tanks, and 3 Carthaginian Tank units were destroyed, although so was one Roman Tank unit.

Another great discovery was made by Roman scientists in 1987. "We can make Synthetic- that is, non-natural- Fibers that can do anything, depending on how we make them. For instance, we can make Tank Armor stronger than Alluminum!" "I am interested," said Caeser, "Please outfit this armor onto Roman Tanks."

This would be done, but the Tanks must do their job and attack first. Near Sabratha, a Tank unit killed a Carthaginian Tank unit. A second Roman Tank unit repeated this, and also killed a TOW in Sabratha. Germanicus then sent in his army to finish off the Tanks defending Sabratha, and the city was destroyed.

Carthage now came under attack. The new, "Modern Armor" units led the assault (I don't know where these came from. I know the weren't upgraded, as I didn't upgrade Tanks until after the Battle of Carthage, I know they weren't Transported, as I can't get Transports from the mainland to the Carthaginian island in one turn, and I know they weren't airlifted. So, I don't know where these came from, I'm just reading my notes and looking at the screenies.), but not before 3 Cruise Missiles were launched at the city. However, it would seem as if they are no better than Tanks at defeating TOW's and Infantry defending such big cities. So, Carthage was bombarded, and in the process, all of Carthage's defenders were killed. So, all a Tank unit had to do was walk into the now undefended Carthaginian Capital and claim it for Rome. Some Carthaginian Artillery was also Captured.

Hannibal and the Carthaginian goverment have moved East to Utica.

East of Oea, the RS Dominator II Dominated a Carthaginian destroyer. It's name was unknown.

More bombing was then done, at Utica, and one bomber was destroyed.

Back near Oea, the Carthaginian Battleship CS Hunter destroyed the Dominator II. The Dominator has become the Dominated. Progress on the Dominator III is underway.

Somewhere, a Carthaginian Tank unit destroyed 2 Roman Tank units.

In what was once Babylon, the Maya captured the city of Ellipi. The Maya now control every still-existing (one Babylonian city was destroyed by China a long time ago) city that was built by Babylon, except Nippur, which Carthage controls. Or at least, they will control it, until Rome or China decides to take control of it.

Elections for Secretary-General of the UN continue to be postponed until the Punic and Maya-China Wars end (And likely, will continue to be postponed after that).

However, they might be ending soon. Caeser gave Chine the secrets of Ecology for their entire treasury of 2238 gold, and then Traded the knowledge of making Synthetic Fibers for the knowledge of making Computers (SETI, here I come!), which is useful in almost everything, namely making Mechanized Infantry to defend areas. China and Rome now have both Modern Armor and Mechanized Infantry, and Maya and Carthage have neither. Rome and China have a huge advantage now.

Utica was now bombed, and an intercepting Jet Fighter was blasted out of the sky.

Near Calaris, a TOW Infantry unit attempted to destroy a Carthaginian Tank unit. At this, they failed. A Modern Armor unit finished their work.

Hadrumetum, to the south of Carthage, was next to be attacked by the Roman Army. First, it was Bombarded, and then, Marines attacked a Guerrila unit defending a Radar Tower nearby. The first unit ended up dead, but the second unit succeded in destroying the Guerrilla unit and the Radar Tower.

The city itself was now attacked. Modern Armors proved not very good at killing TOW Infantry, and there were 2 losses and a retreat to start the battle. However, this was followed by 2 wins against the now heavily injured TOW Infantry garrisons, and then 2 more Modern Armor units came in to kill the defending Infantry and finish the job of capturing the city. A Jet Fighter was destroyed, and another Carthaginian Artillery Captured.

Near Nora, a Modern Armor unit was killed by Infantry defending a Radar Tower.

Carthage is falling fast. It is only a matter of time before they are conquered, especially since they concentrate all their cities into building TOW Infantry and Jet Fighters for Defense, Plus Tanks for attack. And their military only gets weaker, as shown by Agent Green's reports. Here is their current military:

Last edited:
Hey, where did everybody go? :scared:

Update to come tommorow, as it is too late here to write it now.

Short Preview:

-The entire Carthaginian Island is mine. Carthage survives on 3 somewhat far-away island cities: Macao (Their capital), Gades, and Nippur.
-The Maya are really kicking China's a$$. In this update, they've recaptured Groningen (which China captured in 1982), and destroyed a Chinese city called Anyang, and although they've lost Medina again, they'll probably recapture it soon. Thus, they are at a net gain of +3 cities since the war started (I think they built Uaxactun after it started). 2 Mayan cities, Uaxactun and Cuello, were destroyed shortly after their founding, and the Maya have also destroyed Anyang as earlier mentioned- and I don't think this one was an autoraze. To sum it all up, the Maya appear to be winning. I find this strange since China has Computers and Synthetic Fibers, and thus MA and MI, when they have neither, and I'm pretty sure China has a stronger military. Is a human player controlling the Maya? Or perhaps Mao is a complete idiot?
-Due to the Maya's war gains, they are now higher in Population percentage than China. If I understand how the UN vote works, that means the two candidates will be me and Maya. Right now, that means nothing- Carthage will vote for Maya, and China will vote for me (They are polite right now), but as soon as Carthage is finished, I could just declare war on Maya (Mao is probably only polite with me right now due to both of us being at war with Carthage) and win by UN vote. Of course, that would be anticlimactic, and I'd much rather conquer the world. :evil: But, I just thought I'd point it out. And it might not even work anyway. The UN vote comes every 11 turns at the very beginning of the turn (it switched from "1987" to "1988" immediately before it was called in 1988), meaning the next one is in 1999, 8 turns from now. I need to get my ships and my troops in position, meaning there's a chance Hannibal might survive until then, and China and Maya might make peace before 2010.

What, no comments on what I said?

You guys suck. :p

Anyway, here comes da update.

Chapter 43: Conquest of the Carthaginian Island

The Mayan and Chinese Tanks continued appearing and fighting near Amsterdam in 1988. Caeser wishes to tell them both to find somewhere else to fight.

Meanwhile, near Utica, a Carthaginian Tank unit attacked Roman Modern Armor. The Tanks are now smouldering piles of scrap metal.

Speaking of Utica, it was the first target of Roman attacks in 1989. After it was bombed, Titus' Army killed 2 units of Infantry and a Tank unit. Heavily Injured TOW's remain. The modern armors that had earlier held off Tanks now attacked. It beat the first TOW unit, then ended up blown to bits when attacking the second. The 8th Army killed those TOW's, plus another TOW unit, and the Carthaginian government had to re-locate again, to Nora in the far Southwest.

Unfortunately, Nora was in range of Roman Modern Armor. But first, they dealt with a Radar tower and defending Infantry to the Northwest of it. The first Modern Armor killed 2 units of Infantry in Nora, and they were led by a very brilliant military leader named Trajan...

Say hello to a Modern Armor ARMY!!!!

But, back to Nora, 2 Marine units now came out of boats and attacked the city. The the result was 2 dead Carthaginian Infantry units. A third Marine unit then took out some Carthaginian Tanks, and the city was Roman. The Carthaginian government has re-located to Rusicade, just to the Northeast. Better yet, Nora's capture yielded some Carthaginian Furs, and an Artillery.

Rusicade was also within striking distance of Roman Modern Armor. A Radar tower was nearby, defended by Infantry. Modern Armor thought that would be a piece of cake- well, they almost succeded. Roman Cavalry did no better (What? The Infantry was redlined!). Hadrian's Army finally put an end to the nonsense, killed the Infantry, and destroyed the Radar Tower. Due to these insane losses, no attacks can actually be made on Rusicade this year.

Near Amsterdam, Chinese and Mayan tanks continue to battle it out. For some reason, the supply of Silks vanished.

And, much farther south, the Chinese city of Anyang was captured by the Maya (Did I say it was destroyed? Oops. :blush: This means the Maya have a net gain of +4 cities. No, wait, it's +3, they've captured 4 and lost 1. :crazyeye:).

But, back to Rusicade, in 1990, bombardment by artillery and Bombers happened, and 1 Intercepting Jet fighter was destroyed, as were 3 units of TOW Infantry. Hadrian's Army then dealt with 3 Non-TOW Infantry. A Modern Armor unit then finished the job by killing some Tanks. Rusicade has fallen, another Artillery is captured, more Furs are Roman, and the Carthaginian capital is now in Theveste.

Those furs, plus some other luxuries, were now traded to China for the missing Silks:

Caeser finds what his advisor just said to be hilarious.

The same modern armor unit that had captured Rusicade now went North to deal with a Radar tower near Cadiz, and the Guerrila defending it. At this, they were successful.

Another Radar tower and an Infantry unit bit the dust near Theveste thanks to Modern Armor. Yet another Radar Tower- this one near Leptis Minor- was destroyed soon after by Titus' Army. Strangely, it was undefended.

A 4th Radar Tower, near Saldae, now felt the wrath of Roman Marines. Caeser finds it strange that Marines can kill Infantry defending Radar Towers when Modern Armor can't.

Speaking of Marines, they now attacked Saldae itself. 2 Carthaginian Infantry units were killed, and unfortunately, so was one Roman Marine unit, but Saldae has fallen.

Near Cadiz, the last 2 Radar Towers on the Carthaginian island were destroyed by Modern Armor and Germanicus' Army. A Guerrilla unit and an Infantry unit were now destroyed.

In Leptis Minor, one final attack was made: The 9th Army, which had been created a while ago and had Modern Armor in it, attacked and killed a unit of Defending TOW Infantry.

Leptis Minor was also the site of Carthage's only counter-attack: A Battleship, the CS Strangely, came out of the harbor and sunk the RS Uh..., which had been traveling nearby. It then went right back into Harbor.

2 Changes were made in the China-Maya war this year: The Maya recaptured their city of Groningen, and China captured Medina once more.

1991 would be Carthage's final year occupying their home island. On Sabratha's rubble, a new city, named Arretium, was built.

During Bombing, 2 Roman Jet Fighters were shot down, and it was decided that these Carthaginian Fighters must be destroyed before bombing can continue. Most of them are in the city of Cadiz, so Cadiz was now to be attacked.

The first attack on the city was by Modern Armor against TOW's; they were pwned. Another Modern Armor attack retreated, then attacked Infantry and was destroyed. Finally, there was one win against Infantry, then another loss. Finally, Germanicus' Army came in and killed the TOW Infantry and Infantry causing the problem, and capturing the city. Many annoying Fighters and Jet Fighters have been destroyed.

With the Interceptors gone, bombing could now continue. 1 TOW Infantry unit was killed in Theveste. A Modern Armor unit then killed an Infantry unit and a TOW unit.

But, it now had to wait for reinforcements, and Leptis Minor did not, so Leptis Minor was now to be attacked. Titus' Army killed an Infantry unit and a TOW unit. The 5th Army then killed a TOW unit, and the city was captured, and the battleship that had earlier sunk the Uh... destroyed.

And, back to Theveste, the 9th Army killed a TOW unit, and then Trajan's shiny new Modern Armor Army killed a Tank unit, and Theveste had fallen. The Carthaginian Island is now completely under Roman control.

Well, mostly. There are some unowned areas, and it is believed that this is how the Carthaginian government managed to create a new capital in Macao. But, with only 3 cities left, Carthage's destruction is inevitable.

Last edited:
Wow, this might be the first time I've completed an update before noon (In my time zone, that is). :eek:

But, don't expect it anymore. School starts tomorrow ( :mad: ), meaning:
A. No more pre-noon updates (Not that I did very many to begin with :rolleyes:), unless it's the weekend.
B. Update pace may slow down a little. But, I'm pretty sure I can finish this story before October. I hope I can, at least.

Last edited:
I've noticed that, seeing as you haven't shown up in a while (the only ones who post here regularly besides me are mythmonster and CivRulesAll)

In answer to your questions:

1. That depends on when I research Satellites. :mischief: :nuke:

2. Yes. :nuke: :nuke:

Don't worry Choxorn, there are plenty of lurkers like me out there who read your story. Keep up the good work.

I'll try. If I don't, I'll send some Modern Armor to destroy my school. ;)

Grr...

I was bombing Macao and the game crashed :mad:

Gades has already been captured.

Of note in the Maya-China War:

The Maya now beat China in both Land area and Population!!! What's up with losing to a slightly backwards and weaker civ, Mao?

The Maya destroyed a Chinese Rubber Colony, Without it, China doesn't have Rubber and is limited to Riflemen, TOW Infantry, and Marines. I wonder if they can beat the Maya?

Of course, they'll probably just re-build the colony...

...Unless I decide to build a city there. :mwaha:
I certainly could, as the Rubber they were colonizing is just outside my territory in ex-Holland.

Going to try to kill Carthage now...

Chapter 44: Scipio

A Chinese Modern Armor unit appeared to the East of Utrecht in 1991, then went into Mayan territory. It later re-appeared, half-dead. Perhaps Mayan TOW's are giving Chinese Modern Armor trouble?

The Chinese city of Mansura, on the East Coast, fell to the Maya, who are now ahead of China in both Land Area and Population. Caeser is amused that the Maya are whooping the a$$ of a nation who appears to be stronger than they are. Or perhaps Mao is an idiot?

The Modern Armor were beaten by Mayan Tanks in 1992.

A Chinese Rubber Colony just outside of Rome's Dutch territory existed, and had existed for a while. But it existed no longer: Mayan tanks assaulted the Colony in 1993, easily beating Chinese Infantry. China now lacks a source of rubber. They are in trouble now, without the ability to build any modern units, other than Marines and TOW Infantry.

Medina was also recaptured by the Maya in 1993. Medina is the new "Tug-of-War" City, probably by now having been captured and recaptured even more times than Vitcos.

While all this happened in the war between Maya and China, The Roman army planned to amass a force large enough to finish off Carthage for good. A man named Scipio Africanus leads the invasion.

In 1994, the Invasion neared Gades Island. A Carthaginian Submarine was spotted on Radar. A Roman Submarine attacked it, and was completely destroyed without doing much damage at all! Caeser finds this strange, as Submarines are much better at attacking than defending, but, he had seen some strange things happen in his 6000 or so years of leading the Roman Empire. One of those things also happened in 1994: A lot of Deja vu on June 6th. Others also found that many things happening on that day appeared to happen more than once (Yes, this is a reference to Code Lyoko- it's the day that Franz Hopper used the "Return Trip" Function of the supercomputer a very high number of times- 2,546, according to Wikipedia- to finish work on Lyoko). But, back to Gades, The Destroyer RS Scouter sunk this so-called invincible submarine. The Island was now bombarded, and a Carthaginian Destroyer was Destroyed, as was an Infantry unit.

Marines Captured an undefended worker crew, and also destroyed an Infantry unit and a Radar Tower outside the city of Gades before attacking Gades itself, which proved to be no problem at all: 2 Carthaginian Infantry units fell to Marines, and Gades was a part of the Roman Empire.

The Mayan city of Groningen, in what was once the Netherlands, is no more. Chinese Troops take the credit for this city's destruction.

A massive battle took place at Medina in November and December, 1994. Caeser wonders why both Maya and China want that city so badly. After much fighting, China controlled the city for a few weeks, only to have it recaptured by the Maya.

Macao was the target of the Roman army in 1995. A Jet fighter stationed there attempted to intercept, but was obliterated. The entire Carthaginian Navy- 2 Destroyers and a Transport- were also sunk.

At that point, taking Macao was a piece of cake. Scratch 2 Carthaginian TOW Infantry units and 1 Infantry unit.

Scipio sure is a great military commander, who knows how to use bombardment well. Caeser wishes he could give him great leader status, but something known only as "The MGL list" ( :rolleyes: ) prevents that.

Back to the Maya-China war, China apparently succeeded in capturing Medina in the Fall of 1995. In 1996, Eindhoven was captured by China- and then recaptured by the Maya a few weeks later. In 1997, the Maya recaptured Medina. Caeser wonders if China will ever give up on that city and just pick a less difficult target.

Nippur was in range of Roman Bombers in 1998, and now a Jet Fighter, a Bomber, a Tank unit, and a Radar Tower are no more. A Chinese Destroyer also joined in the bombardment.

The science of Rocketry was an interesting one- the rockets could go high in the sky, and the maximum height continuously got higher. Eventually, one was launched so high that it never came back. The effectiveness of Gravity has a limited reach. As such, this was soon developed into finding out more about this "outer space" beyond Earth's gravitational pull. Eventually, humans were sent in to space to learn about it. The new "Space Flight" has proven to be a great help in science, and there's no telling how far it might go. It also finally allows for the construction of nuclear missiles that can get high enough in the sky to reach a target far enough away to be effective. Look out, world, The Roman Empire has Nukes!

An idea has been suggested as to how to use this new space flight. So far, no manned spacecraft has ever gone farther than the moon, and probes have gone no farther than the edge of the Solar System, and they've shown that no other planet appears to have any signs of life, with the exception of Mars. However, if getting beyond the system was possible, to another solar system, say that of the closest star, Alpha Centauri, then there could be people- and the Roman Empire- on more than one planet. That would certainly bring greatness to the Romans, to have an interplanetary empire! But, Caeser figures that he should conquer his own planet before heading off to other ones. A program for this has already been theorized, though.

Speaking of the earth, the election of the UN Secretary-General continues to be delayed as long as Carthage still lives. Which will not be very long (Yes, I know, "Yes" is selected in this picture, but I clicked No).

Nippur was bombarded again. In the process of which, the entire Carthaginian military was destroyed. Scipio then led some Marines into the city and straight up to the Palace. The Carthaginian government tried to flee and create a "New Carthage" somewhere else, but the Marines found them and killed them all. Scipio vs. Hannibal: Scipio wins.

Only 2 more to go, and Caeser will rule the world.

Last edited:
Maya. I'll only have to wait 2 turns for a deal I have with them to expire, whereas I'll have to wait considerably longer to kill China.

He'll probably be the only one to taste ICBM's, but I might just use a few Tactical Nukes on the Maya. :mischief:

Speaking of the Maya, I captured 8(!) cities on the first turn at war with them!

Of course, 4 were ex-Dutch, 1 was ex-Chinese, 2 were ex-Arabic, and 1 was ex-Babylonian.

Modern Armor Armies rule!!!

(makes post so update will be on the next page and load quicker)

Update soon to come, although I might not be able to write all of it. If that be the case, I'll edit the update post to finish it, which I may even have to do more than once.

Top Bottom