RBTS2 - Defense!

Nice screenshots. :) (You can never have too many Bowman v. Monster Tank pictures.) By the way, how long was your round?

how long - oh, about 8 rounds ... maybe 10.

Round 20: The Storm

Here we go, the final battle, the last hurrah for this scenario. I wish that I had enough money for an Anti-Tank gun, but no such luck! (Not faulting anyone for that, as we had more important stuff on which to spend our money.) I use our final 2131g on four longbows, a trebuchet, and a scout. No point in saving money for future rounds!

According to the game setup information, we have 288 enemies approaching us this round! :eek:

(The above shot taken using debug mode after the fact, to help illustrate this report.) Ranged against them is our mighty force of 69 stalwart defenders! :D

25 longbows, 12 melee units, 9 scouting units, 8 mustkets, 7 catapults, 6 trebuchets, and 2 rocket carts. They shall not pass! :hammer:

This final round saw a few of our old friends show up again:

Pretty funny to watch lions and bears walking between the legs of the giant Monster Tanks! :crazyeye:

A couple units are moving around our defenses in the southern desert. I'm moving some of the melee units we have in our back lines down there to prevent any funny business from taking place... Yep, that took care of it.

Ironically, after some hairy turns at the beginning (the overflow from rounds 18 and 19), the turns actually started getting much easier! The tanks ran out, to be replaced by lions/bears/wolves. Observe:

Of course, after that the enemies began increasing in difficulty again, but at a more reasonable pace. Just another result of the bizarre overlapping turns phenomenon.

We got to see some more of the suicide grenadiers:

But their numbers weren't large enough to pose much of a threat. They seemed... weak, if anything. Or maybe it was just that our army had swelled considerably since the last time we fought them. Units with 1 movement point just aren't too dangerous...

As their numbers fell, the enemies tried to rally. They even managed to get a kill at one point: :mad:

(Looks like a couple of these enemies aren't sticking to the safe spots!) But it was naught but a futile gesture for the purple armies of doom, who continued to fall under a hail of arrows and catapult boulders.

One of our lookout scouts actually fought off a 5-pack of zombies in the closing turns!

Don't mess with our Scouts! :spear:

It became obvious at the end that there would be more units incoming than the number on the counter:

Clearly there are more than 15 units left. So (now that the game was in the bag) it was time to break out the big guns:

Say hello to our ANTI-TANK GUN!!! :ar15: (Placed for fun via debug mode - we certainly had no need for it. And indeed, it's only marginally better than the Rocket Cart. Way too expensive to be even the least bit useful...)

Rather than winning on turn 369, I leave one unit alive so we can play one more round. How far into the negative numbers can I get the enemy unit count? As it turns out, it would get to -22! :crazyeye:

I couldn't quipe wipe out the last of the zombie/suicide grenadier super-stack, but I would have finished them on the next turn. According to debug mode, there were 15 units left that we were unable to kill before running into the end of the scenario. We lost a total of two units on my final round (one scout and one mustket), and none of our cities were the least bit threatened. Now that's some Domination! :hammer:

Here's the killed chart:

And what we lost:

1195 kills to 26 losses. 46 to 1 ratio - I actually thought it was better than that! :lol:

Final save file, for the curious:

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ4/SG/RBTS2/RBTS2-AD-5950.zip

Nice work from everyone, I think we handled this scenario very well. :goodjob: The later turns were actually a bit boring (and this final one was definitely on the tedious side, as I waded through some 300 units), but I really enjoyed our strategy discussions. Maybe someone can type this into a strategy article for the War Academy (?) Not me though, I don't have time to do it! In short, we had a great run through the scenario - and now there's no need to play it ever again. Just as I predicted in the beginning, heh.

All of you (including sunrise) are invited to join my next succession game, when we tackle another one of the BTS scenarios. More details to follow shortly at Realms Beyond... :mischief:

lurker's comment: Great work guys! I find scenarios utterly boring without some sort of introduction like this. I can't wait to see whats next. :)

PS: I'm still waiting for Epic Fourteen :lol:

Ah. I had read that earlier and some how believed that the games would be delayed after Epic 14, but it was actually Adventure 22. I'll just hope no one will see my blunder and think that I'm a fool. :lol:

Well done on the last round, Sullla and well done everyone else (except sunrise! :D) - it was, well, fun. Rounds turned out slightly easier than when I played this game privately. Guess that shows the power of the SG.

Great game everyone, this one was an absolute blast! Everyone who calls this the "Worst Scenario" needs to actually give it a try. It probably would be worthy of the title "Buggiest Scenario," but it was still quite a bit of fun. Great work Ruff and Sullla on the last two rounds btw.

:goodjob: Congratulations everyone, you were much better prepared for the final assault than i was in my game (Those huge stacks got through my defenses, but not far away).

FYI, I've opened a thread at Realms Beyond Civ discussing the sequel to this game. Zeviz, scooter, sunrise, and Ruff - let me know if you want to stick around for another scenario-based succession game. You won't hurt my feelings if you say no! :)

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2474

Thank you to Sulla for organizing this fun game and to Ruff and Scooter for making it so fun. :goodjob:

This went a lot better than my own attempt. I'd like to do this again with another scenario, and it looks like Sulla already started the signups. :)

:goodjob: :king: ;) :) :cool: :clap: :worship: :bowdown: :hatsoff: :woohoo: :yeah: :yup: :run: :rockon: :dance: [party] :salute: :trophy: You guys rock! That was awesome! Chalk up another one of sullla's successful sucesstion games. YEAH!

Hey I totally love this post, but just having picked up the game, I noticed that you can apparently build with your cities over time in this game. Yes, build units from the cities. Wondering how this would impact the strategy. I just noticed it and haven't played it out yet, but thought you guys might want to know.

Tanks just started appearing on my map and I have jungle fighters. This is getting annoying...

Round One is called "Lion Tamer". All the enemies are lions, units with 4 strength and 2 movement. Our melee units should eat them alive, but no need to take chances. On the right side of the screen are listed both the turn timer, and the number of enemies remaining (10 for this round). The AI units don't just appear randomly, but move onto the battle screen from openings on the right side:

The four white circles show where the enemies spawn. The yellow arrows designate the AI's favorite attack paths, as near as I can determine. The thicker the line, the more AI units head that way. We'll have to pick our spots to defend as time goes on, drawing a "line in the sand" somewhere that they aren't intended to cross. I don't know where that will be exactly, but we'll find it eventually!

The first couple turns are occupied with scouting around, looking for huts. On Turn 7 we spot our first hut - aha!

However, here comes the first lions as well - yikes! :eek:

The hut yields 33g, rather on the low end but better than nothing. Our tundra fighter is forced to retreat to the north to heal up, after surviving a battle against his first lion. Fortunately, our Jungle Warrior is in position to meet the charge, and on his favored terrain too:

Down it goes, without even a scratch for our guy! :hammer: More lions are on the way, however, pushing hard against us in the north. Our Forest Warrior to the south moves towards Athens to serve as backup in case they break past the Jungle guy. Meanwhile, the Hill Fighter is way out to the east, still scouting for more huts. That was unintended, but you've got to go with the flow!

A quartet of lions threatens:

"You shall not pass!" roars our Jungle Warrior as he takes out the first one, against without taking a hit. I use our injured Tundra Fighter to take out another, but that still leaves two more to go. Hmmm.

The lions have pulled a tricky move. Rather than walking to their death on the Jungle Warrior's fortified tile, they've pulled the old end-around!

Fortunately, now our Forest Warrior is in position to take down one of the lions, along with our Jungle dude. Along with a promotion to Combat I for the Tundra fighter, all three threatening lions are killed:

Unfortunately, our Tundra Fighter is then taken out between turns by the remaining lion. Nuts. :( It was a 50/50 shot on the battle, and the dice went against us. That stinks. Sorry about messing that up, everyone, but I'm far from perfect. I kill the remaining lions without issue. I was unable to find any more huts with the exploring Hill Fighter; guess I was unlucky there too.

We have 200 more gold to play around with now, with a total of 273. What do you think we should spend it on? We could get another city for a cost of 200g, which would pay for itself after a single round. We could also invest the 200g into Scouting technology, which would open up Scouts, very good early game units that can fight animals and pop huts (scouts are also dirt cheap; I think they only cost like 15g). We also need to get a couple more warriors out, just for more bodies on the ground. Decisions, decisions! Well, things to think about in any case!

Overall, kind of a poor turn from me to lose that unit, but them's the breaks. (I was expecting the lions to move mostly through the south, not the north. Still no excuse, of course.) Hopefully Zeviz can do better on his turnset. :)

Sullla
Zeviz <<< UP NOW
scooter <<< on deck
sunrise089
Ruff_Hi

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ4/SG/RBTS2/RBTS2-AD-0760.zip

Wish us luck! I think this is going to be fun. :cool:
i like it very much (thanks for the links)
:):(:p:lol::mischief::spank::wallbash::badcomp::ar15::sniper:

Top Bottom