Many Leaders Game 4 - The Cultured Monarch

Ozbenno

Spoiler :
I'm not sure how far my conquest of Joao will go. But I will try to diminish him as much as possible. Surely the Taoist holy city is a prime target, but I will take what I get. It may very well be that Roosey or Hannibal need some :hammer: too, so I'm far away from the classical culture game. Still it is fun although I won't finish in the top places...

I know the 3rd legs and stats are still missing, however is there a consenus about the number of turns to play for the next round ?

I was thinking 40 again - it shouldn't be too much of a burden given the lack (hopefully :please:) of war.

Some comments - sorry if I missed any, tiredness to blame!

Spoiler :

Ozbenno - Horse whispering! Woo!

Very impressed with your diplomacy and Great Artist gathering - nice collection for a non philo civ! :)

Curious as to the 10 city goal. Is that to give some slack for spreading temples around?

Swiss Pauli

Wow - that's some big first 2 legs you've got there!

Good idea on smacking roosie about. Although his 3rd city doesn't look threatening right now?

I did indeed DOW brennus at Zaras request - seemed like a no lose at the time. Although it actually was a bad decision - really poisoned Hannibal against me when I met him. Ah well!

Greyfox

Enjoyed the insertion, expansion and resting of the Wang! Those reports are nice. :)

That Divine Right that early is damn scary! Wonder if the AI GP bulbed it or something? Perhaps desperation as you have so many?

Talking of which - 5/7 religions is really impressive as well. Gotta be a good setup!

Hope the AP swings back to you soon!

Ralph Jackson

I love that plan you've got there. A really nice early science switch off has to rock! Take it you're using the pyramids?

And another nice stockpile of GA's there. :)

Good think on the AP and war prevention - neat thing. What was the war tech gap like?

Yena

Looking solid there!

Liking the GP golden age, think those are great?

Pawelo

Mayo eaters. :)

That's one big old financial powerhouse you've got steamrollering along there. And the double GA is just gravy!

One :stupid: - kind of question :

Does a GA influence your culture output ? :hmm:

I know the 3rd legs and stats are still missing, however is there a consenus about the number of turns to play for the next round ?

I was thinking 40 again - it shouldn't be too much of a burden given the lack (hopefully :please:) of war.
Forty seems fine to me.

Aztecs, 800 AD - 1300 AD:

Spoiler :
Turn 150: Clearly I need to improve my economy and research rate. CS is due in 8 and I will concentrate on economy building now. I think I will make do with 9 cities for now.

Turn 151: I am the largest civ. :banana:

Turn 155: National Epic done in Osaka (2nd city).

Turn 156: CS -> Currency. Revolt to Bureaucracy.

Turn 157: A GS is born and lightbulbs Phio + Taoism in Sarmatian.

Turn 160: Currency -> Drama.

Turn 163: Drama -> Metal Casting

Turn 166: Four barb axemen appear in the hills north of Texcoco.

Turn 167: Hannibal says 'hi'.

Turn 168: Metal Casting -> Machinery.

Turn 169: Texcoco falls to barbarians IBT but is immediately retaken.

Turn 173: Sistine done in Techno.

Turn 174: Machinery -> Compass.

Turn 178: Compass -> Optics

Turn 179: Islam FIADL.

Turn 180: Roosevelt completes AP. Good, at least I won't get jihaded.

Turn 181: I get voted head of AP - even Toku voted for me.

Turn 183: Optics -> Paper. Time to find out what lies out there.

Turn 190: Sees a vote to open borders amongst the Confused. Hannibal is planning an invasion, probably against me or Roosevelt. Said Yankee is still teching away madly but does not seem interested in the Liberalism path. I traded techs sparingly not to accelerate the tech pace. The economic push was successful and the Aztecs are now 1st in GNP.

They IIRC also increase the GPP-generation.

[relurking]

I think you're right but not sure.

As for next turns, 40 seems OK. Its been around a week for this round, so if people want to continue on from tomorrow, feel free. Zargon and Bindamel are oop at the moment I think as well.

@r_rolo

1600 AD
I already played, simple couldn't wait any longer :blush:

Willem the 5th, Almost Cultured 1300 A.D. - 1600 A.D.

Spoiler :

Now that the official blessing was issued, I have seen no need to wait any longer! :woohoo:

So, I went on after the next forty.

When I left our merry, pretty scum-looking (my personal opinion) guy last time, the cathedrals were in the middle of the build effort, Democracy was in and, well, we were still party-timing, though we didn't have artists.

Having waged options, I decided to launch the culture offensive asap.

Using the GA extra civics-swap, I switched to US, Emancipation, Free Speech and Pacifism.

With money on hand, I rushed the Tao Pagoda in Urtrecht.
Slider went up to 60%, using some extra money for temple and last cathedral rushes.

On turn 197, my fantastic age ended, after 24 turns... :sad:

I finished Gunpowder and started Guilds.

Some randow event engine sensed my Gunpowder finish and offered me this quest:

I said ok, why not, with research cut (aside cities building it) and my border pushing on Rexers territory I needed the gun-smoking guys anyway.

I trade Drama and Music for Guild with Rossy. I still want to get to those Rifles, even without research on my own.

Resarch goes on Banking

Last Mosque is up in Urtrecht - this one has a heavy culture output right now and will probably be my first leg in the end - I spent some more time on other stuff, aqueduct, eco etc.

As another Great Scientist is born, I part-bulb Chemistry with it. I have all required Academies in every single legendary anyway.

Trade Music for Banking with Joao and start Replacable Parts.

I learn, with much surprise, that the Dutch are the most cultured :D

Nice, and probably last, wonder:

Kyoto is the first city to start building Culture

Revolt in the US city of NY, badly squeezed between Middelburg, Urtrecht and Nijmegen.

Oxford in Amsterdam

Another 20% on the culture slider, as our cottages have matured enough to sustain the eco.

I refuse Gunpowder for Economics to Rossy (no kidding)

With a GProph, which popped at very low odds in Kyoto, I settle the Tao shrine in Urtrecht for more culture.

Nice turn in diplo terms.

First, this happened :

Then I contacted the poor guy and proposed :

Et voilà, Rossy is friendly :cool:

Amsterdam starts culture, having constructed the last Confu Academy

RP - Rifling

A very nice turn too.

First, a fine event for a legend city :

Then the quest reward:

[party] once again!

Lousy GP continues, another GS in Amster. Settled an academy in a cottage-city of Middelburg

Another GProphet in Kyoto! The odds were ridiculous! I can't imagine my bad luck on this here :mad:

Settle Kong Miao in Rotterdam to push the slider even further up.

NY is revolting anew. It's not me :D

Trade Liberalism for Economics with Joao and GA-revolt to Free Market

End of the episode... I would have liked to play further...

Time to sum up.

Aside from the GP generation (though I enhanced the odds), everything is smooth, cruising toward a calm victory.

Thanks to NY Rossy is friendly. As I accept almost all Joao demands, I think it will be fine too.

Hannibal is a threat, but is pretty backwards. I may use some later turns to make Joao or Rossy war him, just to keep him far from me when I reach the legendary status.

Here are the cities:

And the territory, for an overview:

Pretty orange, ain't it ? :lol:

Objectives for the next (and hopefully last) part:

- Try to get some %¨%$ùµ%+/@# artists in Kyoto and Amsterdam!!!

- Turn off research in cities switching them to wealth, to push the slider to the max, once rifles hit in.

Hopefully, someone will post a game soon so I can lurk inside ;)

Round 4 Cruising to Culture

Unfortunately i played through to 1400AD.

Spoiler :

i had three main priorities for this round

1) Culture of course
2) Stay at peace with the neighbours
3) Expand to nine cities.

everything started quietly which is how i wanted it to be with only tech and resource trading occuring until

960AD the Great Library is built in Canterbury , although this will dilute the production of Artists i do like having this wonder, :)

1030AD The Sistine Chapel is completed in London, :)

1060AD i found Warwick as one of my expansion cities in the North East

1070AD A great prophet pops in London:( , not the best result but with the oracle and stonehenge it's bound to happen, so i use him to start a Golden Age

1160AD Its time for a Great Artist in London:goodjob:

1200AD Both Newcastle and Oxford are founded to complete the nine cities i need,

A great scientist is born in Canterbury, guess the GL is having an effect there

1250AD Its time for another Great Artist in London:goodjob: but more importantly i'm the first to discover Liberalism which leads to Nationalism

1350AD Its time for yet another Great Artist in London:goodjob: which is the last item of note within these turns.

i'm begining to wonder if i can actually go all the way through the game with no wars, my three neighbours are all either friendly or pleased with me and i'm giving resources and techs to Keep it that way.

All artists are now going to be bombed rather than settled.

Attachments

• Elizabeth AD-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    239.5 KB · Views: 47
Thoughts on the stats etc...

Interesting that Oracle, Parthenon and Sistine have all been built by the most people (although I expect Sistine to edge ahead with the remaining games). In essence, this means they are equally valuable for a cultural win. What do people think about this?

Both Ralph_Jackson and TriviAl have switched off research and are heading for home (nice 3 beakers/turn research Ralph, where is it actually coming from? :lol: ).

As for the third leg, yellow and industrious still rules but the gap is closing. :D

Dwelling on this for a moment, I don't have a single GP point that isn't an artist and Ralph has just 2 GE points a turn, the rest all artists. We have both managed to accumulate 5 Great Artists. Again, what do people think about this tactic. Will it win out in the end (essentially it meant foregoing the Oracle)?

Must be a Great Artist running somewhere. Or another GP, with the Mids bonus.
I have never seen it before, :goodjob: Ralph.

Looking forward to the next episode :)

@pholk - I'm curious about your wonder choices, maybe I must re-read closely your write-up.
My figures are spoiled due to the GA.

@pawelo:

Spoiler :
Using the GA extra civics-swap, I switched to US, Emancipation, Free Speech and Pacifism.
I'm curious as to why you elected to revolt to emancipation. Were you receiving unhappiness from not having it?

The reason that I ask is that I would have thought caste system would have been much better for you. Considering the amount of gp pollution that you are experiencing, running extra artists in your cities should have improved your chances of popping Great Artists instead of all those Prophets.

Huzzah ! Actually I'm at last leader in something... :p ;)

Top Bottom