Civ4 documentation wiki

Since the wiki's been down since last Friday and at least one person's asked about it I thought I'd post an update here.

My host went down last Friday night. They had the server restored by Saturday morning, but the database had been corrupted somehow. The database server was unaffected by the outage on Friday so nobody knows how that happened. I'm apparently the only person affected by this.

I've asked them to restore everything to the last known good state, Thursday evening a week ago. It's taken so long because of some miscommunication about the problem.

I could have fixed this myself if I had kept more current backups offsite. That was my fault. My most recent backup isn't recent enough. I didn't want to lose many of the updates people have made so I've been waiting on them to restore everything for me.

So the lesson learned here is I need to set up a cron job to ftp a nightly backup of the database to my home machine.

No. I'm really losing patience with my host. He had everything ready to go on the 8th and just needed to test everything before restoring the site. Then he somehow fell off the face of the planet. I haven't heard anything since.

It'll be back after the holidays, one way or another.

wiki??? wikii ?? wiiiki ?!?
:lol:

I just hope your issues with your host come to a quick and happy resolution :D

no no, really, I'm absolutly not selfishly interested.. no-no..

Still working on it. Everything should be back up soon. Sorry for the delay.

I set up a new wiki here:

http://civ4.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I'd like some advice on how to easily set up the documentation for modding (mostly because I could use that info myself).

If anyone had an idea for layouts I'll be able to set it up ASAP, or feel free to go for it yourself (the links on the left side of the screen are about modding) until that time.

The wiki is only a few days old so give it a little time or help out :).

this probably be off topic but I would really like to learn make stuff using XML and python can somebody point me the the right direction

Hmm, I guess I've been waiting too long on my host, haven't I? I have an older backup of the site, but I've been hounding my guy to try to give be a more recent backup of the database. He's fed me excuses from time to time, but hasn't come out and said that I won't be able to get it from him. Obviously that means it won't happen, but I had my hopes.

I'll give him 24 hours to get me an answer then I'll put up the old backup and try to pull the missing data from the internet archive. A lot of the missing content is there.

I should have put up the old backup quite a while ago. It's really my fault the site has been down as long as it has been.

rkyte, it would be great if you can put it back up.

thanks

I have an old sql backup on my PC at home that I can restore the site with, it's just a bit out of date. I have also just pulled a complete backup of my account at my host, so people that have uploaded artwork and the like won't lose anything.

I sent an email to my host threatening to cancel my account if he couldn't resolve this (either for the good or for the bad) by this time tomorrow. If he tells me to get lost (and considering the way things have been going he just might) it'll take me a day or two to set up a new host and restore everything. Otherwise I'll have the old database restored later tonight.

I know the host has backups of my account and of the sql database from the day the site went down. He's told me that much. You'd think it would be simple to pull the database, but every time I try to find out what's going on I've gotten blown off.

Man this whole thing sucks.

I have an old sql backup on my PC at home that I can restore the site with, it's just a bit out of date. I have also just pulled a complete backup of my account at my host, so people that have uploaded artwork and the like won't lose anything.

I sent an email to my host threatening to cancel my account if he couldn't resolve this (either for the good or for the bad) by this time tomorrow. If he tells me to get lost (and considering the way things have been going he just might) it'll take me a day or two to set up a new host and restore everything. Otherwise I'll have the old database restored later tonight.

I know the host has backups of my account and of the sql database from the day the site went down. He's told me that much. You'd think it would be simple to pull the database, but every time I try to find out what's going on I've gotten blown off.

Man this whole thing sucks.

When you get the data, why not consider a move to put all of it on the wikia wiki I set up. It is far more likely to remain stable then some run-of-the-mill host and it also has full technical support and it's free. The move would take some time but I imagine overall it would be the best route to ensure something like this doesn't happen again.

Edit - And if you do get it on a host, at least temporarily, you could just do an export and then it can be imported onto the wikia one, import requires sysop powers but I'll grant them to you and anyone who would want to help with such a move, then we would only need to modify the pages a small amount to get some of them in line with the general layout of the wiki I've made thus far (or I could set up the wiki like how yours was set up, if that's easier) and it'll be back and secure.

Wikia support staff is quite very attentive especially considering the fact that their service is free, and they have numerous extensions they upkeep for our use that you likely wouldn't be able to have for an average mediawiki setup.

Running into some technical difficulties but still trying to bring everything back online....

Edit: My host basically told me to take a hike, so I'm not going to be able to get this up and running until I find a new host. Good times.

rkyte, is there any chance you might be able to just post some of the more basic info in a thread here? The really core stuff, like the descriptions for the xml tags in unitinfos, civinfos, buildinginfos, leaderinfos, and religioninfos?

rkyte, is there any chance you might be able to just post some of the more basic info in a thread here? The really core stuff, like the descriptions for the xml tags in unitinfos, civinfos, buildinginfos, leaderinfos, and religioninfos?

I should have a new host set up sometime tomorrow. You could always try to get that info from a site like archive.org in the meantime.

http://web.archive.org/200708*/http://www.civ4wiki.com*

Top Bottom