Civ Fanatics...you are my last resort.

The Hereafter

Chieftain
So I'm getting an A- in history, mostly because my teacher is terrible. Now, semester exams are this week, and my world history exam is tomorrow...and if I get an A, I think it will bump my grade to an A as well....
Anyways, the exam is on Islam, and she told us that the essay is
"Explain why Islam is important today"
Now this is not in the book at all, and we didnt cover this in class...and to tell you the truth, I'm clueless. So please good people of civfanatics, could you spare me a few ideas?
Thanks so much!

Well this should definitely give you a couple hundread words in your essay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam

And then I think that typing Islam in google and copy-pasting parts of different artciles will be more usefull to you then waiting for us to tell you about the history of Islam.... in which case you would end up talking about creationism anyways...

Ask your dad how much it cost him to fill up his car. Then ask him how much it was to fill up his car 10 years ago. There is your (cynical) answer.

If you use Wikipedia, credit a different site, like Grolier. Teachers don't like Wiki, and Grolier is a token info site. What's so bad with an A- in the first place, anyways?

islam is important cuz they live where the oil is and they like to blow us up.

islam is important cuz they live where the oil is and they like to blow us up.

A+! The most in-depth statement I've ever seen.

So I'm getting an A- in history, mostly because my teacher is terrible. Now, semester exams are this week, and my world history exam is tomorrow...and if I get an A, I think it will bump my grade to an A as well....
Anyways, the exam is on Islam, and she told us that the essay is
Now this is not in the book at all, and we didnt cover this in class...and to tell you the truth, I'm clueless. So please good people of civfanatics, could you spare me a few ideas?
Thanks so much!

you shouldnt blame your teacher for the A-:nono:

but on topic, i dont if youve heard but muslims have been known to spotaneously combust near americans and isralis as well as the fact that they have a lot of oil.

OK. This is my break time and giving beardless students advice on essays is my job SO YOU OWE ME. :)

I think the key word is today. You could find out the growth in the number of Muslims over the last 100 years and say whether it is the World's fastest growing religion or not.

You could also link it to globalisation. Maybe the growth of Islam is a reaction to globalisation.

As others have said, you could say whether Islamic countries are located at strategically important locations for the big powers (US, Russia and China). The new 'great game'?

And also in resource-rich areas. The Russian bear dominates European energy supply. The Europeans, therefore, want to increase their influence in the Middle East and Africa. The Americans want to keep Western Europe in their sphere and away from Russia. Is that true and are the current wars in Asia part of it? Is 'Islam' being used as a proxy excuse for an 'energy cold war'?

You could contrast the weakening of Christainity to the growth in Islam and suggest reasons. Christianity subverted by business 'ethics'?

You could also contrast the Shia and the Sunni and explain the schizm and why/how it resurfaced in the 1970's. If indeed it did ;)

The last thing is migration. Christians have migrated around the World for centuries and we didn't complain about it. Now Muslims are migrating towards us and we're horrified. :mischief: So, find out the emigration of Muslims into the UK and connect that to the amount of focus that Islam gets in the media. Maybe the media's interpretation of current events (in pre-enlightenment us and them terms) has given too much attention to 'foreign' religions?

Lastly, compare the media coverage of Islam to that of other religions to see if there is a difference.

Good luck

One of my least favorite uses of the internet is when people beg people to do their homework for them. Truly, if you're getting an A- in history and you have to ask how or why Islam is important today, I can only concur with your statement that your teacher is terrible.

It is never the fault of the teacher being terrible that a student gets a poor grade. It is solely the fault of the student for not being willing to learn on his own. Indeed, if a teacher is terrible enough, you should be able to get an A+ very easily if you put some effort into it, because it's in the interest of the teacher to give As to as many people as possible so the higher-ups don't complain.

A score A- is bad? I would have thought its only one grade away from the best?

Call Homeland Security on your teacher! No more assignment!

Without Islam, we wouldn't have genocide today.

Darfur = Muslims slaughtering Christians.

Some say Burma is a slow genocide and Kimmie commits genocide, but there is not concensus on that like there is on Darfur.

Without Islam, we wouldn't have genocide today.

Darfur = Muslims slaughtering Christians.

Some say Burma is a slow genocide and Kimmie commits genocide, but there is not concensus on that like there is on Darfur.

That's more tribal than merely religious.

This Thread went from a study guide to "Islam Is Bad News II".:coffee:

Top Bottom