Varica: In Haeka's Name

You guys had ten days to do your orders. I have had little more than one day to do the update. The update is going to be at about twenty times the length of the longest order set I have received. There is a reason that I gave myself three days to do the update in the timeline.

Grrrrr, Fulton made it very clear that the update would be done on a specific day. That day was not the day of or the day after final orders due. How about you wait for that day to come before badgering him?

Agreed, though Hunter, you do still have a caravan sitting outside the gates to your city, seeking admission.

Sorry, Fulton, good point.

OOC: You know what I find really hilarious? Tyrion and Neverwonagame3 asking for the update before the due date. I guess some neses move so quickly they forgot that you have to wait for the best things :) Don't feel pressured to hurry.

(OOC: Don't worry guys, I know you're eager. I always feel the same way before an update. Tomorrow, I promise ^_^)

Sorry i must have missed the message about updates taking three days. My bad for taking an interest....

Damn, you people are warmongers. Every single one of you was engaged in battle this update. The battle moderations alone have taken up 11 pages in word. At least they were fun to mod. I'm taking a break for awhile. The moderation is still on schedule, but due to the volume of battle moderations, don't expect domestic moderations to be very long.

Varica's is a warrior culture, is it not? Forged from, by and through war? United by a warrior-emperor? Just out of a civil war? Personally I think we should all be commended for role-playing, here. ;)

That's fine Fulton, so long as it's on time or a day or two late at most. Sorry I haven't been very active its due to PreGod Nes ,which is moving at an incredible pace and school, from seven till four. Home at half four if I am lucky. I am sure your first update and all the others will knock us out.:D On a completely different note here's a couple of stories. First is the trial of Gorax and the second is about Dansar.

'Gorax, you stand before me accused of corruption, inappropriate messages to other tribes without my permission and treason. The evidence is overwhelming, will you try and fight or will you surrender to Soltalos' Light,' intoned Kalan.

'Never will I surrender. My Lord these accusations are spoken out of fear. They fear I am too close to you and I will help you get rid of the corrupt Council. Is it not proof that they are corrupt, these charges they bring against me. I swear by the Light of Soltalos I am innocent,' replied Gorax. Then the evidence was called up and each time Gorax would yell and curse and say it was false. After he had sworn by Soltalos' Light a fifth time.

' SILENCE! I am convinced Gorax. I was convinced before the trial had even started. Ever since we found you we have had bad luck. I find you GUILTY and sentence you to death by the Light. At dawn you burn.'

Gorax was lead away yelling 'I AM INNOCENT!' After awhile the guards had enough and gag him. He was thrown into a cell with no food or water. Trials are always held at dawn. He had 23 hours of misery left.

He had one hour left to live and one of the guards was taunting him again. 'Lick my boots, dog. Ya scum. Your no better than a Sunt...' The guard put a hand to his neck and then collapsed to the ground. Dead. The other guard followed. There was a whisper.

' I have come to get you out Gorax. You have been an excellent agent, now Varica has need of you again.'

'Dansar my friend. Look out that window and what do you see?' Kalan asked.

'My Lord I see workers scurrying like ants. On your new school and I see the life of the city.'

'Well done. Dansar I consider you a learned man and I ask you do you think you could teach?'

' No my Lord, why do you ask?'

' I have had challenges all my life. Now I give you one. In two weeks that school will be finished. You have two weeks to learn to teach.'

As always feedback is more than welcome.:D

Edit: By the inappropriate messages, I mean all the diplomacy messages you got from him and the council.

Well, I didn't want any war other than my little thing in Snerkitta. However, my hand has been forced.

Wait, so you're actually going to and defy the Empire? That's actually pretty good. It looks like this NES really will begin with a bang, like Haeka intended it.

Wait, so you're actually going to and defy the Empire? That's actually pretty good. It looks like this NES really will begin with a bang, like Haeka intended it.

OOC: You're actually obeying him? :p

How exactly is one supposed to defy a celestial body (assuming that you're talking about Haeka, which you're probably not)? :p

How exactly is one supposed to defy a celestial body (assuming that you're talking about Haeka, which you're probably not)? :p

OOC: I meant Hroth IV as you already knew. ;)

Is that addressed to me or vert?

If it is to me... you'll see how things go. The Dolu have never pledged allegiance to Hroth's dynasty.

Update 1: AF 121 and 122

Many had hoped that the ascension of Hroth IV would bring peace to Varica and her vassals. Those dreams of peace have been crushed beneath the feet of Haecomus warlords throughout the known world. Apparently the civil war was not enough to quash their warlike spirits. The respite of a few years peace has been enough to reenergize their armies.

To the north, half the provinces of Varican have astonished even Hroth himself by heeding his call. The titanic battles of Hroth and Adalbrandr’s northern campaigns may finally bring an end to the bitter wars between Hrothnani and Snerkitta.

Darium and the Gamars greedily took advantage of the carnage to stake their own claims while the Nakar attempt to assemble an army of monsters.

To the south, chaotic bloodshed has broken out. The Sunta engage in warfare with all of their neighbours while harsh words threaten a three way war. So far the intensity of the conflict cannot compete with that in the north, but who knows what the future holds?

To the west, the lands of the Rheni and Oerdan knows some measure of peace, though even their warriors know the taste of blood. The Yumin-Cirican alliance continues to menace the minor Thune cities.

Meanwhile, the barbaric Fulanti are on the march both north and south. In the north, the Eleven Turtle struggle for survival while the in the south the Sargothi’s Eye fight against the combined might of the Haecomus.

Across the whole of the central homelands, only the desert people know peace.

The Third Great Northern War

The Campaign of Hroth IV
Forces Involved:
Varica: 200 Raeka, 200 Archers, 200 Spearmen led by Hroth IV
• Hrothnani: 600 Warriors, 200 Skirmishers, 100 Aikings
Oerdan: led by Prince Luern
The Northern Tribes: 300 Tiaka, 200 Archers, 300 Spearmen led by King Luci
• Snerkitta: 600 Warriors, 200 Skirmishers, 100 Aikings
• Trakana: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings led by Chief Tuur

A titanic clash of arms played out along the Snerkit River throughout the last year and a half. The Varicans failed to gain a foothold on the west bank of the river until early fall. Finally, Hroth himself led his forces across the river to gain a foothold. Quickly hurrying hundreds of warriors across in his fleet of boats, he did his best to gain ground quickly while Luern guarded the east bank.

Five hundred warriors were across when the trap was set. A hail of arrows unleashed upon the Varicans caught them unawares. Hroth was shot in the leg in the first volley. Thinking that their Emperor was dead, the Varicans panicked. They fought back viciously against the northmen, but were completely disorganized. Unable to form their shieldwall, they were split apart by the enemy’s Tiaka. Over a hundred men were killed in the debacle and almost twice as many taken prisoner.

This bought the northmen time. Hroth’s army would not move until he was healed and King Luci traded the prisoners as slaves to the Gamars as part of an attempt to gain their aide. Despite the word of battles in the north and Dolu incursion in the west, Luci stood guard over the Snerkit River.

This time, it was Hroth’s turn to outflank Luci. In risky Manuever, Luern’s men crossed a dozen kilometers south of where Hroth’s was encamped. Hroth managed to distract Luci long enough for Luern to cross. Luci withdrew as soon as he learned of Luern’s presence.

Together, Huern and Hroth marched on Caraka. Luci was unable to reach his own capital in time due to a sudden storm washing out the route. Upon approaching Caraka, Hroth’s men raised makeshift banners bearing Luci’s heraldry. Luci’s eldest daughter, Lucia, commanded the garrison to open the gates and prepare to meet her father. The Hrothnani and Oerdan slaughtered the people of Caraka mercilessly. As for Lucia, it was sad that when death finally met her, it was a mercy.

King Luci has sworn vengeance for his daughter, but many of people believe that the Varicans cannot now be stopped.

Summary:
• Varicans, Oerdan, invade the Northern Tribes
• Luci defeats Hroth in battle of Snerkit River
• Hroth Razes Luci’s capital
• Snerkitta Power -1, Caraka destroyed

Forces Remaining:
Varica: 180 Raeka, 170 Archers, 150 Spearmen led by Hroth IV
• Hrothnani: 350 Warriors, 160 Skirmishers, 80 Aikings
Oerdan: 140 Spearmen, 95 Archers led by Prince Luern (casualties due to disease)
The Northern Tribes: 280 Tiaka, 200 Archers, 220 Spearmen led by King Luci
• Snerkitta: 400 Warriors, 150 Skirmishers, 90 Aikings
• Trakana: 270 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings led by Chief Tuur

The Campaign of Adalbrandr
Forces Involved:
Assfell: 100 Raeka, 200 Archers, 200 Spearmen under Adalbrandr
Werhold: 100 Archers, 100 Spearmen, 100 Tiaka under Earl Othred of the Kaldar
• Mixed Torica, Bealdur, and Kaldar contingents: 300 Warriors, 30 Aikings.
Gibraly Empire: 400 Archers under Captain Biba
Pythians: 400 Warriors, 160 Skirmishers, 80 Aikings under chief Locut
Margarethe: 340 Warriors, 140 Skirmishers, 60 Aikings under chief Misanisan
East Gamars: 500 Warriors, 180 Skirmishers, 80 Aikings under chief Urin

In the land of the Pythians, things are going poorly for the locals. A force of over fifteen hundred warriors has marched into their lands, looting and burning as they go. Though there were some false starts getting all three provincial forces to work together, Adalbrandr was able to assert control over his forces. Earl Othred was given the honourable position of command of the center due to his larger force while Adalbrander commanded from a heavily reinforced right flank.

Burning and pillaging their way through Pythia, the massive army could not be ignored forever. With the aid of Gamars bought off by King Luci, the Pythians and their allies marched to war at the first opportunity in 122.

While some desertions occurred, especially among the Torica, throughout the colder winter of Pythia, the allied army was able to feed off of the locals through their looting to keep themselves in the field.

The armies met at the Pythian fields, outside of Chief Locut’s mead hall. The Gamars pressed hard against the left flank while the Northmen through themselves at the rest of the Varicans. The huge archer contingent would have been a liability should the barbarians break through. Instead, they managed to whittle away their attackers enough to blunt their charge. With their momentum stopped, the northmen and their allies soon lost heart. While the Pythians were badly beaten, the victory was not without cost. Earl Othred was badly wounded in combat. Whether he lives of dies is up to Haeka… (his fate is in your hands das).

At the end of 122, the Pythians were on the move, unable to stop the ravaging of their homeland. Most of them took what they could carry and marched eastward.

Summary:
• Allied army marches on Northern Tribes
• Varicans ravage Pythia, soldiers engorge themselves on plunder
• Gamars come to the aid of the Northern Tribes, but are defeated at Pythian Fields
• Pythia largely depopulated as famine sets in, have become a nomadic tribe at -2 power, move to Margarethe territory

Forces Remaining:
Assfell: 90 Raeka, 190 Archers, 170 Spearmen under Adalbrandr
Werhold: 100 Archers, 80 Spearmen, 90 Tiaka under Earl Othred of the Kaldar
• Mixed Torica, Bealdur, and Kaldar contingents: 200 Warriors, 20 Aikings.
Gibraly Empire: 360 Archers under Captain Biba (most desertions and disease)
Pythians: 300 Warriors, 120 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings under chief Locut
Margarethe: 280 Warriors, 120 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings under chief Misanisan
East Gamars: 400 Warriors, 140 Skirmishers, 65 Aikings under chief Urin

The Dolu Campaign
Forces involved:
Dolu: 100 Archers, 100 Spearmen led by King Veli
• Dolu: 900 Warriors, 240 Skirmishers, 120 Aikings
• Tendorl: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings
Snerkitta: ~100 second-line warriors and skirmishers

The most powerful single tribe is all of Varica is now on the march. The Dolu, with numbers even greater than even the Sunta and Hrothnani, have gained footholds along the river they share with the Snerkitta. Meeting no resistance, the Dolu took no chances, establishing fortifications along the riverbank. With that completed, the Dolu began to raid across the countryside. With King Luci occupied on the Snerkit River and his vassals on the eastern frontier, there was little the Snerkitta could do to stop their pillaging. It is said that some parties even penetrated as far as Caraka.

Upon receiving word of Darium’s invasion, the Dolu pulled many of their forces back to protect their homeland. Losses during these campaigns have been entirely from disease and desertion.

Summary:
• Dolu cross river, raid Snerkit villages, meet no resistance
• Majority of Dolu forces withdraw to meet the threat of Darium

Forces Remaining:
Dolu: All professional forces have withdrawn
• Dolu: 420 Warriors, 110 Skirmishers, 60 Aikings
• Tendorl: 130 Warriors, 45 Skirmishers, 25 Aikings
Snerkitta: ~100 second-line warriors and skirmishers

The Trail of Tears
Forces Involved:
Werhold: 200 Archers, 200 Spearmen and 60 Tiaka led by Thane Haeroph
• Later, approximately 300 assorted warband troops and wildmen
Eleven Turtle Fulanti: ~400 Fulanti Warriors, ~10,000 Fulanti

The Eleven Turtle Fulanti, desperate to find safety wherever they could find it, left for the lands the Nakar promised them, despite the lack of assurances from the Haecomus realms they would have to cross.

Waiting for them on the border of Werhold were the forces of Thane Haeroph, lying in ambush. Caught by surprise, the Fulanti fought like the demons they to get out of the trap. Though the forces of Haeroph were numerous, they could not prevent many of the Fulanti from escaping. The massive numbers nearly overwhelmed the Haecomus. But for every Haecomus warriors who fell, at least one Fulanti warrior was slain. For every Fulanti warrior who was slain, more than ten of their women, children, and aged were massacred.

As word of the slaughter spread, a fever struck the warriors of Werhold and the Gibraly Empire along the path of the Fulanti. With glee Aikings led their bondsmen on hunts through the rainforest, slaying anything in their paths.

Less than half of the Eleven Turtle survived to cross the river north of Gibral. Of them, a quarter would die of starvation, disease, and injuries on the way to their promised homeland. Battered and bloodied, the Eleven Turtle may finally have a chance at peace.

While Haeroph suffered horrendous casualties, half of his men, he is being hailed a hero for destroying the Fulanti ‘invasion’.

Summary:
• Eleven Turtle Fulanti attempt to move through Werhold, many are slaughtered
• Eleven Turtle Fulanti -2 power
• The Bendar have taken over the Eleven Turtle’s former lands, +1 power to Bendar

*Special*
Normally, when a tribe reaches 0 power, it is considered either destroyed or absorbed into another tribe. However, Fulanti cannot be absorbed into non-Fulanti tribes. It is still in existence, but it is incredibly weak.

Forces remaining:
Werhold: 100 Archers, 100 Spearmen and 30 Tiaka led by Thane Haeroph
Eleven Turtle Fulanti: ~60 Fulanti Warriors, ~3,000 Fulanti

Darium and Dolu

The Darium Invasion
Forces Involved:
Dolu: 300 Archers, 300 Spearmen led by King Veli
• Dolu: 450 Warriors, 120 Skirmishers, 60 Aikings
• Tendorl: 140 Warriors, 50 Skirmishers, 25 Aikings
• Syven: 200 Warriors, 70 Skirmishers, 35 Aikings led by Chief Heren
Kingdom of Darium: 300 Archers, 300 Spearmen led by King Farvus
• Darium: 600 Warriors, 200 Skirmishers, 100 Aikings
• Ogloids: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings
• Chemenids: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings
• Chekrids: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings
• Fominids: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings
• Jarids: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings
• Later, 100 Syven Warriors, 10 Syven Aikings

The Kingdom of Darium has raised a truly massive army. Only in the days of Hroth I & II has Varican known an army this large. Almost Four thousand warriors march under King Farvus. There was little King Veli could do to hold them back in open battle.

The Syven were the wild card in this struggle, their people were still angry at the Dolu for past injuries, but Heren was surrounded by spies from Solu who might very well end his life. As much as he wanted to rise against the Dolu, he knew it was unlikely be would survive. Instead, he raised his warband in support of the Dolu, though few men came to answer his call. As the only loyal force in Dolu territory, the Syven secured the town of Puli, in the hopes its walls would protect them.

Darian’s first destination was also Puli. After a brief siege of only a few weeks, Farvus offered Heren terms: “March out of the town right now, and you will be allowed to leave. Otherwise, we will annihilate your forces and the town”. Outnumbered ten to one, Heren submitted, then made his way to the capital where he hoped to meet King Veli.

Once Veli heard of the invasion, he pulled half of his warriors back from Snerkitta territory and ordered more troops raised. Meanwhile, Farvus invested the Syven’s territory. A hundred Syven who refused Heren’s call joined the army as it advanced on Dolu itself.

Worried that he did not have enough food to feed the people of Dolu and his warriors through a long siege, Veli marched out to meet Farvus. They squared off in the fields outside Cradu, so that Veli could retreat if needs be.

Along the march to Cradu, attrition had taken its toll on the Darian army. Having so many men together meant that food was often hard to come by and disease ran rampant. Several hundred died while other deserted back to their homes. Despite these losses, the Darian army still outnumbered the Dolu significantly.

The Dolu fought bravely, but slowly they were beaten down. At the height of the fighting, the Dolu even managed to deliver a wound to King Farvus himself. However, the result was inevitable. The final blow was delivered by the Syven. Seeing that the battle was turning against the Dolu, and having been promised untold riches and huge tracts of land by Darium, Heren turned his few remaining swords on his master.

Beating a fighting withdrawal, the men of Dolu fought their way back to the gates of Cradu. At the end of 122, King Veli and his remaining forces remain besieged inside Cradu, hoping that something will relieve them.

Summary:
• Darium invades Dolu
• Syven surrender Puli, make deal with Darium
• Disease takes heavy toll on Darium
• Dolu defeated at battle of Cradu, Farvus wounded, Syven switch sides
• Dolu besieged inside Cradu
• Puli now part of Darium, Syven now vassals of Darium

Forces Remaining:
Dolu: 200 Archers, 200 Spearmen led by King Veli
• Dolu: 300 Warriors, 80 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings
• Tendorl: 80 Warriors, 30 Skirmishers, 15 Aikings
Kingdom of Darium: 200 Archers, 200 Spearmen led by King Farvus
• Darium: 440 Warriors, 120 Skirmishers, 70 Aikings
• Ogloids: 200 Warriors, 60 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings
• Chemenids: 200 Warriors, 60 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings
• Chekrids: 200 Warriors, 60 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings
• Fominids: 200 Warriors, 60 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings
• Jarids: 200 Warriors, 60 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings
• Syven: 200 Warriors, 50 Skirmishers, 30 Aikings led by Chief Heren

Gamar’s Greed
Forces Involved:
West Gamars: 740 Warriors, 180 Skirmishers, 100 Aikings, 200 Tiaka led by King Vagram
Ogloids: ~50 second-line warriors and skirmishers

With their warriors away, the Gamars say an opportunity in Darium. The Ogloids were isolated from their masters by the River Chek. The Gamars marched with full strength against the Ogloids, who quickly submitted rather than try to resist an army so large. The Gamars have dug in along the river bank to protect their new conquests.

Summary:
• Gamars vassalize Ogloid tribe

Forces Remaining:
West Gamars: 740 Warriors, 180 Skirmishers, 100 Aikings, 200 Tiaka (mostly disease and desertion)

The Suntan Campaigns

Blood on the Alane
Forces Involved:
Sunta: 100 Archers, 100 Berserkers, 200 Levies led by Captain Kaalos
• Sunta: 100 Warriors, 10 Aikings
Teraldur: 200 Archers, 200 Spearmen led by King Tyrion

All along the River Alane, the Sunta have made incursions into Teraldan territory. For the duration of 121 and 122, the Sunta moved rapidly along the riverbank, making small scale incursions all along it.

The army of Teraldur did it’s best to stop them. At first, they were hard pressed to hold the barbarians back, but once reinforcements arrived and Tyrion’s men got the chance to dig defenses, the tide turned against the Sunta.

All along the riverbank, the Sunta were turned away. Casualties were light however, at least among those who mattered. The Sunta led the way with slaves forced into battle who managed to set off most of Tyrion’s traps and clog his trenches. At the end of 122, the Sunta went home, unable to break through.

Summary:
• Sunta invades Teraldur
• Teraldur holds back the Sunta, Sunta withdraw

Forces Remaining:
Sunta: 80 Archers, 50 Berserkers, 100 Levies
• Sunta: 80 Warriors, 8 Aikings
Teraldur: 160 Archers, 140 Spearmen

The Southern Flank
Sunta: 150 Archers, 200 Bersekers, 80 Tiaka led by Warmaster Kraal
• Varra: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings led by Vaarmon
Angaladan: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings led by Chieftess Mada

The real Sunta thrust was not the attack on Teraldur, but on their neighbours to the south. The Angaladan held an important strategic position. If the Sunta held it, they would have easy access to the town of Aster and Tyrion would have to spread his forces over twice as much ground to meet him.

Chieftess Mada refused to submit to the Sunta and rallied her people. Not the greatest tactician, Mada led her forces right into an ambush. Seeing the Varran warriors arrayed, she believed the Sunta had split into two armies. While the Varra and Angaladan charged each other, the Suntan warriors circled around behind and smashed them from behind.

Cheiftess Mada was struck down and her forces began to melt away. The Sunta gathered as many as they could as slaves, then marched through Angaladan territory, looting, burning, and pillaging any villages they came across while the raped and enslaved the population.

Unfortunately, Chief Vaarmon died in the course of the battle. He was carried home for a warrior’s funeral by his warband, who will select a new leader from amongst his sons. As for Cheiftess Mada, she is now numbered among the Warmaster’s wives.

Summary:
• Sunta Invade Angaladan
• Sunta rout Angaladan
• Angaladan completely ravaged, turned into slaves, -3 power
• Sunta, +1 power due to thousands of slaves

Forces Remaining:
Sunta: 150 Archers, 180 Bersekers, 70 Tiaka
• Varra: 240 Warriors, 90 Skirmishers, 45 Aikings
Angaladan: 100 Warriors, 40 Skirmishers, 10 Aikings

Treachery at Houpor Valley
Forces Involved:
Sunta: 50 Tiaka led by Warmaster Kraal
Huroto: 50 Raeka led by Cul Funkard
????: ~50 Slingers, possibly more

Suntan and Huroton forces arrived at Houpor valley ready for blood. They were not disappointed. The two leaders walked forward to exchange insults and frighten their opponents with tales of their bravery. When they were finished, their warriors rushed at each other as a huge mass. Cul’s Raeka, with no formation to protect them, fared poorly, but both sides gave a good accounting of themselves.

After an hour of fierce battle, both leaders noticed some slingers in the distance preparing to fire. Both men withdrew, spewing a stream of curses at their enemy for supposed treachery. Cul has returned to his capital while Kraal have removed to the south the command his men.

Forces Remaining:
Sunta: 40 Tiaka led by Warmaster Kraal
Huroto: 40 Raeka led by Cul Funkard

The Nakar-Vinii War
Forces involved:
The Nakar: 100 Raeka, 90 Falkans led by Captain Falx
The Vinii: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings led by Chief Vinos

The Nakar have invaded their northern neighbor, the Vinii. While their lesser troops protect their trade routes, the elite Raeka and chariot riding Falkans led the way into Vinii territory. Though not outnumbered, the Vinii’s warriors were not nearly as well trained as the Nakar. It looked as if the Nakar might have the advantage, or at least that the forces were evenly matched.

That was until fate conspired against the Nakar. The Vinii managed to evade the Nakar for most of 121, spending their time raiding and counter-raiding across the border. The Nakar’s mobility gave them an advantage here, while the Vinii’s numbers cancelled out that advantage. Finally, in the spring of 122, the Nakar had the Vinii where they wanted them, hold up in Vinos’ hall protected only by a flimsy wooden wall and with dwindling supplies.

However, on the eve of battle, a terrible omen shook the faith of the Nakar. A Falkan was sighted above the Vinii fort. Suddenly, the powerful bird of prey dropped dead. That night, a terrible storm broke over the plains. The downpour turned the unplanted fields into vast tracts of mud. The Falkan’s chariot were immobilized and the Raeka demoralized. Seeing their chance, the Vinii struck.

Unable to fight back effectively, the Nakar withdrew to their own territory, leaving behind supplies, chariots and steeds alike. Only the bows and the iron discipline of the Raeka managed to keep the retreating Nakar alive.

Summary:
• The Nakar invade the Vinii
• The Vinii turn back the Nakar who have withdrawn to their homes

Forces remaining:
Nakar: 70 Raeka, 40 Falkans, Nakari
Vinii: 240 Warriors, 80 Skirmishers, 45 Aikings, Vinii-Nakar border

The Rheni-Voth War
Forces involved:
The Rheni: 50 Archers, 50 Spearmen, 40 Tiaka led by Prince Bereniki
The Voth: 260 Warriors, 80 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings led by Thane Vor

In the summer of 121, Prince Bereniki of the Rheni marched out of the capital of Brunica leading half of his father’s trained warriors. Their aim was to assimilate the Voth tribe, but Bereniki knew it would be a difficult task. Perhaps it was a test to see if he could prove himself and stand out among his brothers? The Voth outnumbered him significantly and knew the land better than he did.

Bereniki used his small force to his advantage. He infiltrated the Voth lands without their knowing and by the time Vor could mount a resistance, several of his Aikings had already submitted to Bereniki.

Still, Vor’s warriors were numerous and eventually brought Bereniki to battle. The Rheni force managed to lure the Voth into a ravine. There, the Voth’s numbers were somewhat mitigated. While his spearmen and archers took the brunt of the Voth charge, he led his Tiaka around the ravine and into the rear of the Voth. With luck, his men were able to strike down Vor and his men scattered.

122 was spent with both forces licking their wounds. Vor’s sons vied for dominance while Bereniki petitioned his father for more warriors and tried to hold onto his small conquests

Summary:
• The Rheni invade the Voth
• The Voth thane is killed and some of his eastern holdings captured, but at the cost of heavy casualties

Forces remaining:
Rheni: 35 Archers, 25 Spearmen, 30 Tiaka, Eastern Voth holdings
Voth: 210 Warriors, 60 Skirmishers, 35 Aikings, Voth capital

The Oerdan-Tarssee War
Forces Involved:
Oerdan: 50 Archers, 100 Spearmen, 100 Raeka led by King Haergar and Captain Lorgar
Tarssee: 280 Warriors, 100 Crossbowmen, 50 Aikings under lord Tesla

The Thune influenced Tarssee were the next victims of Varica aggression. The Oerdan King Haergar led his forces against the Tarssee in an attempt to vassilize lord Tesla.

The only major battle thus far has been a stalemate. Tesla and Haergar met in a lightly wooded region between their two spheres of influence. The discipline and skill of the Raeka were matched by the power of the Tarssee’s crossbows, duplicated from Thune models acquired in the past.

Both sides fought until exhausted, then withdrew at the end of the day. The two armies have engaged in similar small clashes since then, but as 123 dawns, both remain locked in a war of maneuver throughout northern Tarssee territory.

Forces Remaining:
Oerdan: 25 Archers, 60 Spearmen, 80 Raeka led by King Haergar and Captain Lorgar
Tarssee: 200 Warriors, 60 Crossbowmen, 30 Aikings under lord Tesla

The Sargothi’s Eye
Forces involved:
Sargothi’s Eye: ~1200 Fulanti Warriors led by One-Eye
Revnor: 260 Warriors, 80 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings under thane Drago
Rendor: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings under thane Galos
Huroto: 50 Archers, 50 Warriors
Validira: 100 Archers, 100 Spearmen, 50 Raeka under King Matteo and Prince Naxis

The Sargothi’s Eye have stepped up their attacks on the Revnor and Rendor. The Revnor, terrified of greater losses, enlisted the aid of two neighbouring confederacies, while the proud Rendor refused their aid.

The Fulanti first attacked what they thought were the weaker of the two, the Revnor. Upon encountering the warriors of Matteo and Cul, they quickly determined the Rendor the better target.

Unlike in 120, the Sargothi moved in force in 121. The entire tribe’s warriors marched on the Rendor. Unfortunately for them, the Rendor were ready. They had pulled their forces into every fortified village and hall their could, reinforcing the barricades and stocking on supplies.

The Fulanti could never understand siege warfare and many of them died on the walls of the Rendor’s fortresses. They took out their frustrations on those left defenseless, burning homes and slaying Haecomus. In the end, they withdraw after a year of fierce battles. The surviving Rendor emerged to survey the damage…

The Revnor have given thanks to Haeka, Matteo, and Cul for sparing them from such devastation.

Summary:
• Validira and Huroto aid Revnor
• Sargothi’s Eye ignore Revnor, attack Rendor
• Rendor land ravaged, -1 power

Forces Remaining:
Sargothi’s Eye: ~800 Fulanti Warriors led by One-Eye
Revnor: 240 Warriors, 80 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings under thane Drago
Rendor: 140 Warriors, 50 Skirmishers, 30 Aikings under thane Galos
Huroto: 45 Archers, 45 Warriors (disease, desertion)
Validira: 90 Archers, 90 Spearmen, 45 Raeka under King Matteo and Prince Naxis (disease, desertion)

On the Home Front..

The Nakar have suffered from some discontent as a result of their recent actions. Primarily, the lost against Vinii and the invitation to the Fulanti. It is feared by some that there will not be enough land to accommodate the new arrivals. However, the King’s program of clearing land and building more farms has helped to mitigate these fears. Unfortunately, the Nakar, while not historically prejudiced against the Fulanti, are still very wary of living next to seven foot tall monsters that look they came out nightmares. Still, the Nakar economy is going strong with trade established and more land broken. More tax money may soon be available as farmers produce more. A land shortage may indeed be looming unless they can expand into new areas. The Nakar plans to educate their people have largely failed. With less than one percent of their people able to read, there is a severe shortage of teachers. Many poor families are unwilling to send their children away when they are needed to keep the farms going.

The King of Assfell is making the most of his position as leader of the allied army. His appointment as commander has gained him much prestige. The bard that he has commissioned to weave the tale of the campaign into epic form has kept the troops morale up. When the bard returns to Assfell, it shall surely reinforce the King’s position. His position certainly needs to be reinforced, as both the Sterkveggr and the Gulholt complain of the heavy tribute burden placed on them. They argue that they are too small and poor to pay the tribute that has been demanded, though they have paid it, for now.

The Gibraly Empire has focused its economy on two things: the war effort, and early glassmaking. In Gibral, the sandy banks of the great river are being harvested for use in new glassworks. Along with the glassworks, craftsmen are being encouraged to produce clay bricks, pottery, and tiles, which will serve as valuable trade goods and alternatives to wood construction. These industries are in their infancy, but if they can attract or train enough skilled craftsmen, they could be a great economic boon.

The Teraldur have focused their economic efforts on road building this season. By the end of 122, the road between Teral and Aster was completed. The road will ensure easily transport of goods (and soldiers) between the two cities. Both will see an increase in growth. The promised aid from the Nakar never arrived.

The shaky politics of Werhold have managed to hold together for another two years. The victories of Thane Haeroph and Earl Othred have helped to buoy the current balance of power. Two major plans have been embarked upon by the regency. The more visible change has been the establishment of ‘guilds’ a sort of trade organization for skilled craftsmen. With the support of the throne, these guilds have begun to regulate trades in Werhold, which is likely to lead to significant expansion of the town’s wealth. Secondly, new mines have been sunk in the Sargothi ruins near Werhold. So far, they have uncovered some strange artifacts and hidden underground room, but metal output at this point is low. The Bealdor and the Serala have both complained that they are too poor and weak to afford such a high tribute, but they do not judge the political climate right to protest loudly.

In the lands of Nimosa, with agriculture still a new idea, the government has taken control by investing much of its funds in the improvement of farm land and building irrigation systems. These improvements have been made not just in Nimosan territory, but also in the territory of her vassals. All three tribes are working well together in an effort to improve their lot in life which has had a good effect on their ability to work together. Thanks to the massive effort, the Nimosans will see a great increase in agricultural production in 123.

The Oerdan have focused their efforts on a single cultural and political imperative: the rebuilding of Burial Hall. Builton then highest hill in Ernica, Burial Hall is the hold of the Oerdan Kings. A massive wood structure with elaborate scrollwork and carvings throughout all over the interior and exterior. A beautiful building, Burial Hall is a sight to behold. The reconstruction of Burial Hall, the ancient symbol of power for the Oerdan Kings, has gone a long way towards strengthening King Haergar II’s hold over his people and the allied Paredor. The relationship with the Paredor grows stronger thanks to a low tribute.

The Huroto have focused their substantial income on improvements to their river-based economy. Huge overhauls of the harbor at Skav has increased boatbuilding capacities greatly. As well, attempts to subsidize fishing in the fertile rivers has been greatly successful. Overall, the Huroton economy has grown significantly and only the Varicans and Validirans can compete with the Huroto on the rivers. A small well-guarded Nakar caravan was caught and destroyed by a patrol near the Teraldan border.

Validira has done the most to diversify its economy. It has attempted to improve its ability to produce from the river through shipbuilding and fishing, as well as from the land through irrigation systems and land clearance. The industries that have been the focus of this plan are complementary, with cleared rainforest turned into docks and boats. Though a multi-pronged approach will take longer than other more dedicated approaches, it is certainly a long-term plan that will reap greater rewards in the future than those who focus on only one industry.

The Kingdom of Darium has focused their entire economy on warfare.

The Dolu have sensibly focused their entire economy on warfare.

The Rheni have been content to let the economy remain as it is with no interference. Tribute has been spent on showing the court of King a good time. (no economic orders received)

The Sunta Tournament

The lords of Validira, Oerdan, and the Gibraly Empire have all sent warriors to meet the Sunta in their homeland. The warriors were well received at a great feast. After a night of drinking, eating, and debauchery, the warriors were assembled in the great amphitheatre the Sunta use as their arena. No one knows who built the arena, but all agree it is a perfect place for bloodsport…

Each foreign warrior had to face a Sunta, with the winner decided by who was the first to yield or be unable to continue. In the end, after a fierce competition, it was decided that all three nations were made of worthy, honourable warriors. Special commendation went to the Gibraly, who were victorious in four of their five matches. Laden with riches, the winners, were sent home to rest.

Rumours:

The Five Yomba Fulanti have cut a swath of destruction through the grasslands on their way to the Nakar’s promised land.

In the Thune lands, Cirici and her Yumin auxiliaries have won a battle against a coalition of small Thune cities. Both Tessilki and Karski, traditionally enemies, have joined together to demand an end to Cirician aggression.

Tarnee is rumoured to be building a new reformed army to crush the Tikeecee Republic once and for all. However, similar rumours have been passed around since the founding of Tikeecee.

Diplomacy:

To: King Cul of the Huroto

How dare you betray us! We had thought you worthy opponents, braver and stronger than the scum that surround us, but here you break your promise and bring extra warriors in secret because you doubt your own strength!

To: King Tyrion of the Teraldur

End this bloodshed, Tyrion. I offer you one last chance to submit to my demand for tribute. Give us 1 EP every other year or we will exact a much greater toll on you.

To: King Farvus of Darium

We bear no ill will towards you or your people. Simply accept the Ogloids as lost to you and we will live together as neighbours.

Notes:

Congrats guys, we’ve already managed to make a significant point of divergence from the original Valdian history. From this point out, things in the north are completely ahistorical. I’m excited to see what happens next.

The only things still to be done are trade routes, NPC stats, the map, and the timeline for 123-124.

Anyone who has a Sargothi ruin in their territory, I plan on adding them to the map soon as red dots. However, I’ve lost track of where they all are.

Let me know if there are any questions, concerns, comments, criticisms, or things I've missed.

From Farvus of Darium
To Vagram of Gamars

I do not want to fight you and Dolu. I will accept that peace for now.

From Darium
To Tendorl

I am willing to give you the city of Cradu if you rebel against Dolu and help me to take the city.

Top Bottom