Conquest of America

sikandar323

Chieftain
Instead of receive many of europeans units (cannyons, muketters or conquistadores), a better and more realistic combinations of units will be one mounted unit, one cannyon, one pikeman and many warriors or incan, mayan or aztecs units.
Remind taht in america conquest war, incan or aztec enemies helped spaniards.

Yes, that is true. Cortez was essentially able to conquer the Aztecs without any reinforcements from Spain. I think that the mix of units is intended to allow for the player to accomplish the same thing without giving you a high maintenance cost giving you loads of overseas units.

It really is nigh on impossible to survive as a native civ if the conqueror event triggers on you. I managed to pull it off once with the Aztecs because I had a number of Catapults handy (that I had been using to repel the barbarian Dog Warriors from the north) and on another occasion I survived with the Aztecs because the Japanese Conquerors spawned in the desert south of California and never worked out how to walk around the top of the Gulf of California to enter my territory.

Otherwise, the only way I can survive as a native American civ is to make contact with Europe first by sending out boats ASAP.

My first successful Maya game I had the English trigger a conqueror event and survived (before I knew the avoidance trick). They spawned next to Tikal with nowhere to go, and I think I must have had longbowmen, walls and a high culture. All they did was sit there and bombard my defenses, and it took so long that Victoria would speak to me and accepted peace before they attacked even once!

I thought the conquerors event gave more units to the AI any how so this should nt be a problem.

Have you also considered my suggestion that the conquerors event should be linked to your total power ?

Sometimes it possible to create an army in the Americas 3 or 4 times more powerful than your army in Europe.

I think that if you dont have many troops when the conquerors event triggers you should nt get many troops anyhow.

Good point scu, why should you have a small army in the homeland and a large,powerful,modern army in America?It doesn't make much since at all.

Good point scu, why should you have a small army in the homeland and a large,powerful,modern army in America?It doesn't make much since at all.

As was said in the original post, the conquerors in the real world recruited natives and used their own citizenry against them. While it might be possible to implement this, I'm not sure the AI would actually use it if Rhye put it in.

As was said in the original post, the conquerors in the real world recruited natives and used their own citizenry against them. While it might be possible to implement this, I'm not sure the AI would actually use it if Rhye put it in.

I agree, with this but I also think it's a little hard trying to survive the Conquerors if your playing as a Native American civ.

I've also noticed that the boat trick doesn't work, at all, neither when I'm playing as an Amerindian civ nor as any other one. There is always at least one conquerors event for each surviving Amerindian civ at that certain point. (always 2, occasionally 3)

My big issue is plague - I had a pretty dominating game going as the Aztecs, and the Spanish declared on me sometime in the early 1800s, trying a naval invasion of Chichen Itza vs. riflemen (with predictable results.) Despite having gotten the plague earlier when I met them in the first place (avoiding the conqueror event), I then got plague whenever I met any Euro civ - even with a privateer. It wasn't even just the Spanish - from that point onwards, if I encountered a European unit, plague instantaneously spread in one of my cities, even if there was no plague in Europe and I was the one moving. Tried going back and giving myself medicine with the WB, and that didn't do anything either. So there's something buggy going on - I'm just not sure what it is. Even after discovering medicine legitimately, I kept getting plagues. My only conclusion is that the Aztecs are an unloved or unlucky civ. :D

american civs get a different plague than the rest. Since you have no plague problems during the middle ages, you get smallpox when you meet the europeans, as happened historically. You can defeat it researching biology

I remember I used to get a boat to find the Euro's so I could get the plague out of the way, otherwise I just horde lots of catapults, they die badly, but then anything can kill those damn Europeans!

I think the conquerors event definitely should be toned down a bit - it makes crushing the Aztecs and Incans far too easy. Should probably tone it down to 1 or 2 knights (the conquistadors) with, as suggested earlier, some archaic units (e.g. archers, warriors) to simulate their native allies. That would at least give the native civs a fighting chance.

I've seen Rhye post before that the conqueror events are as strong as they currently are because that is what it seems to take for the AI to get the native American civs to capitulate.

But yes I agree, they are too currently too strong in the hands of the human player. In my current French game I triggered both events and got a major enhancement to my army for free (although I gifted the pikemen back to the natives) and got capitulations without losing a single unit. The musketeers in particular were vital in strengthening my New France position.

Top Bottom