NoTW XIX: The Song of the Nightingale - Game Thread

Rheinmetall hesitantly leaves the ship behind. He doesn't say anything during the whole time. Just keeps staring at the water. Finally he looks at the others arguing.

"Hehehehe! Haaahaahahaahhaha! Wolves. A wolf trying to fight in a rickety boat like this could topple the whole thing."

"You keep fighting among each other. Don't you see it's pointless. Let us float here for a couple of days and all this becomes meaningless. I fail to see enemy here. Even if I think some of you are, there's a high chance you are not. My own family, other dwarves, and you accursed horse people."

"And stop talking about those beasts, or I shall start telling you about caves and mighty cities underground. Metallurgy and other interests of mine. I don't care about horses!"

[WARNING - Heavily off topic!]

HEY GUYS! I've been real busy at university for ages. But now (overlooking work) I have like nine weeks off. Looks like I missed the start of this game but I'd love to be involved in any future ones if everyone hasn't forgotten me already!

Major props to Izipo for reminding me this place still existing and a public apology for not replying to his personal messages sooner. Game on brothers!

My apologies for the name mix up.

I just sent you your start up PM- Welcome to NoTW XIX!
Don't sweat it: happens all the time. Thanks!

OOC: qoou, welcome to the Forum Games community. I recommend you join Rise from Medieval Kingdoms III and Birth of an Empire. They're sort of lazy-NESes.

Ty! I actually only came here for the mafia/werewolf games: there's enough NESes back in the NESing forum (even though the recent poisoning spree has crippled a lot of good NESes :().

HEY GUYS! I've been real busy at university for ages. But now (overlooking work) I have like nine weeks off. Looks like I missed the start of this game but I'd love to be involved in any future ones if everyone hasn't forgotten me already!
{ OOC: Welcome back! [party] No way we've forgotten you (even if many of the "old guard" have been replaced), and it's nice to have you back! :) }

[WARNING - Heavily off topic!]

Major props to Izipo for reminding me this place still existing and a public apology for not replying to his personal messages sooner. Game on brothers!

(OOC: Welcome back, you must tell how you escaped TEH ALIENZ so that we could pass it on to others. But seriously it's good that people are coming back the cult .... erm.... Forums, right forums ... that's what I meant to say;) )

Tasselhoff! You continue to accuse Niklas, a man I know to be no killer. He is innocent I tell you! Your grudge will doom us all!

OOC : Welcome back Ronin, it's really nice to see you again. If others do like you and come back, we're in for a great summer.

IC : Holding her son by the hand, Izipo climbs down to the ship. A lot can be said about her son, after having been mute for the past 4 days, his appearance has now changed dramatically. Rapidly checking if her daughter and husband are also in the lifeboat, she then takes a long look at her son.

Well, I'm glad you're finally among us my son, I'm sorry that it took a burning ship to wake you up, but higher beings move in mysterious ways, as they say.

And what's this ? My husband accused because he tried to save me ? This is madness. I agree that the events of last night were nearly unbelievable, but is this reason enough to accuse him ? As he said, do you really think he has everyone under control ? No, I can vouch for my husband Niklas' innocence. The evil doers are among those that voted AFTER him.

{OOC: Hello again, Ronin!}

alright. alright. those of you who make support votes, you are weak. i don't want to demean myself by speaking to you.

but those of you who accuse tasslehoff: what exactly are you accusing him of? yeah, he accused niklas. but so did a lot of people. should we kill them all? is dislike of niklas a calling-card of a wolf?

the way i see it, niklas has done more wolfy stuff today than tasslehoff has in a week. of course he manipulated the vote. you don't have to stare too hard to figure that out. and every time he is accused, he answers with lots of flowery talky-talky, but no evidence.

chuck 'im over the side! and then chuck kol.7, too.

Well at least my daughter is completely crazy one top of this! *Saying this the exasperated mother bodily hauls her mad daughter onto the boat, calling for her family to join her* Try not to get hit by falling flaming sails!

i'm sure i don't know who you are, lady.

Kol gives his ship one final look before jumping into the life boat.

''Well, look on the bright side everyone! No werewolf's gonna be able to make a kill now without wakin' the lot o' us up, then all we gotta do is grab him and chuck him overboard :D.''

''I'd be very intested to see this so called evidence against niklas because so far I see and grand total of *nothing*. Is there even any evidence? For now I'll vote Tasslehoff because he everyone else seems to be pretty sure about him, however if anyone can come up with some decent evidence against anyone else I'll change my vote.''

Hmmmmm..... Three different pieces of ''evidence'' from three different people... Perhaps you are the werewolves, trying to kill off a threat? Tch tch tch.

from what i know of werewolves, they have more... efficient ways of killing off a threat

beautifully efficient

how many times do I have to remind you of the possibility that we may not have wolves on board, possibly Ashen Veil members? It seems that you all ignore me.

*Runs on to the life boat and sits next to his wife and son.*

Sorry about being late, I fell asleep and when I woke up everything was on fire, I had to make sure we hadn't hit Infernal land ahead of my son's prediction.

Now I'm a tad confused about the accusations against Tasslehoff. I mean what besides vote for somebody did he do?

Horribly efficient. As we can see from Niklas' work on my husband.

I notice, Kol.7, that you ignore all my logic for voting against Niklas, you don't even bother to try to refute it.

I look, and now I see, Catharsis. She has repeatedly sided against Niklas and others I know to be innocent. Also, she has been trying to overturn votes almost as much as Niklas. Niklas, I believe he was trying to help the ship, with the sad exception of Brisinagmen. Now, Catharsis, I believe you to be a religous zealot who wants to rule the ship!

I see that to save my own skin I am forced to vote for Tasslehoff. He has voted for me so perhaps I should see no remorse, but I have no reason to believe he is a wolf, nor Catharsis for that matter. But I simply see no other way out for me at this point.

I look, and now I see, Catharsis. She has repeatedly sided against Niklas and others I know to be innocent. Also, she has been trying to overturn votes almost as much as Niklas. Niklas, I believe he was trying to help the ship, with the sad exception of Brisinagmen. Now, Catharsis, I believe you to be a religous zealot who wants to rule the ship!

you can't overturn what has already been overturned. in the morning, the main accusation of the ship was clear - niklas would die. but i made a prediction, and i'm sure a lot of others did too, and it came true: lots of quick-fire votes for tasslehoff and support votes for niklas, right at the end of the day when they can't be defended against. that's low. even i think that's low.

and as a matter of fact, even if you count this as an 'overturn', this is the first one that I have attempted. other two (i'm told it's less than four and more than one) days i've been active, i've voted for kol.7 both times, neither time getting anywhere near a majority.

although ruling the ship would be nice. there's very little elbow room in here

Pretty sure about Tasslehoff, Kol.7? The only ones I see voting against him are those who are strongly linked to Niklas himself -- what does that say about the objectivity of the non-existent evidence? At least the accusations against Niklas have more than one source.

I will take a cue from Catharsis and offer some of Niklas' own words as food for thought.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6820043&postcount=84
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6831054&postcount=134

A beautiful cloak of protection he threw over thomas.berubeg and myself, back on the first day of this crisis. Am I the only one to notice that it also served to cover him? And he repeated the comment, just in case anyone had forgotten the first time, in accusing as inactive a girl, Tolis, who actually wasn't. Look, too, at the wolf deaths since Backwards Logic: Hitti-Litti, a man who opened his mouth once the first day and never again; and Charles Li, someone who announced his intention to hide out in his cabin on day two and never come out! (OOC translation of the last part -- after reading qoou's mysterious comment about zxcvbnm, I went and checked out the NES forum: Charles Li has a comment in the top sticky post there saying he won't be on the internet again for weeks. I'm not really a fan of meta-gaming like that and wouldn't have sought out that information on my own, but I can't un-see it.) Who among us can honestly say that those deaths do not fit Niklas' stated biases to a T?

Niklas, I have no personal grudge against you. But I can't escape the evidence of my own eyes. That evidence says you are a wolf, probably their leader. We survivors can do ourselves no better service than to eliminate you.

(OOC: Stuck in Pi, Pinman mentioned wolves in one of his morning or evening posts a day or two ago. We probably do have Ashen Veil -- what else could those marks in Pinman's cabin have been? -- but we also have wolves.)

Evening 4

The storm’s monstrous winds tore at the boat as the tired survivors tried to complete the day’s round of voting. Although the process had been disrupted, it finally appeared that Niklas Wavewalker had been elected to die. It was decided that pushing him over the side of the lifeboat was the best method, as there was no way that he could survive the storm's ferocity in the water.

Although uneasy, the survivors led the struggling Niklas over to the edge of the boat, and in a one quick shove pushed him over the side. He appeared to be struggling to stay afloat in the midst of the vicious waves when he was last seen. His death was certainly inevitable in those conditions.

It was then that the raging storm seemed to intensify for an instant, as if guided by some foreign power. A strong wind gust came in from the east and tipped over the small lifeboat, tossing everybody into the water.

The Nightingalers all fought to stay afloat in the middle of the storm as the winds kept coming guiding them all slowly eastward, faster than the boat ever could of. Unfortunately, bit by bit all of the survivors seemed to weaken against the terrible forces of the ocean, the brutal waves and powerful currents, and even as they were carried by strong wind gusts to an unknown destination, blackness in the form of unconsciousness came to all. To many, it seemed like the end of their lives.

Some higher power however, had other plans for them despite the logical thought that when one is tossed into the ocean during a terrific storm one cannot survive. For by some incredible miracle all of the Nightingalers awoke to find themselves lying on the hot sand of an island. Somehow the wind must have carried them there unconscious amidst the waves. As they looked towards the still red sky they saw that the storm seemed to be clearing. Perhaps its unknown purpose had been fulfilled.

The island was fairly standard in its aesthetics, although in fact fairly small. It had a long sandy coastline, at the bottom of a series of hills leading to high cliffs. In the far distance, the small outlines of a dark forest could be seen.

Still, the island seemed to have properties beyond the norm, as two mysterious sights could be beheld from the rocky shore. One was Niklas Wavewalker, who had survived the attempt to kill him, waking up on the shore with the rest of them. The other sight was cause for far more concern.

Standing at the top of the hilly shoreline stood a male figure. In the first instant, many thought that they were dead and had fallen into heaven. Yet the dead man was no apparition, and nobody had died in the crash. No, what they saw before them was very real indeed.

Captain Pinman was truly standing in front of them, with no expression on his face. He had none of the blood on him that had been present in his cabin aboard the Nightingale and he seemed like he wasn’t harmed at all.

Before the survivors could react, the dead man began walking towards them. Surveying them with his poker face, he nodded towards his son and sat down on a nearby rock. As his appearance had paralyzed all of the Nightingalers, it fell to him to speak the first words.

“You seem to have gone through a terrible couple of days haven’t you?” said Pinman in a rather mild tone.

Nobody could bring themselves to respond normally to this absurdity, but somebody managed to blurt out “Your dead!”

“Not quite I fear, it takes more than a knife through the heart to take out one of us. I still reside… somewhere, but I have come to talk to you of other things.”

Although the captain’s words were strange, the remaining shipwreckees settled down on the sand to listen to his tale.

“I don’t have a lot of time, so I will say what I have to as quickly as possible. Amongst you there resides a certain…item. I’m afraid that for reasons beyond your understanding, the Infernals are being drawn to that item even as we speak. If you want to survive, destroy it to stop them from landing on this very beach.”

“How do you know any of this!” shouted a confused member of Pinman’s audience.

Sighing slightly, with his voice revealing a hint of evil madness, Pinman gave his terrible reply. “Because I did it you idiot, and if that bloody fool hadn’t intervened, you’d all be dead by now. If you want to live, destroy my orb, you must destroy the Nightingale.”

As the shocked survivors looked on, the former captain's body started to flicker, but he was able to get through a few more desperate words spoken in shrieks.

“You have six days! Destroy the Orb or die! It has the same weaknesses as a wolf!"

"DESTROY THE NIGHTINGALE!”

With that final note, Pinman vanished into thin air, leaving behind a bunch of bewildered people, forced to reevaluate their opinions of him.

It was at that instant that the former Nightingalers realized something absurd. The song of the Nightingale was still with them, echoing freely on this desolate rock that threatened to become their tomb.
-----------------------

Voting Tally:

Kol.7 Riverking Tasslehoff
Lightfang Riverking Rheinmetall
Niklas Wavewalker Tasslehoff
Izipo Wavewalker Niklas Frozen in Ice
qoou Wavewalker
Chandrasekhar Wavewalker Tasslehoff
Merciary Oceandweller Tasslehoff
Tyrs Oceandweller
Methos Oceandweller
Catharsis Oceandweller Niklas