Forest growth and the roads?

Handel

Prince
Does the roads stop the forest from growth? Or maybe they are just reducing the chance fo it?

They halve it. All other improvements destroy the chance entirely.

I am pretty sure that a camp will not completely remove the chance for a forest to grow (it may still halve it though), can anyone confirm?

XML Values:

natural spread (iGrowth)
jungle 16
forest 8

improvements - man-made assisted spread (iFeatureGrowth)
forest preserve 64 (replaces natural spread probability)

conditions for feature spread on to a certain tile:
  1. there must not be a unit on the tile
  2. there must not be an improvement on that tile (forests don't spread over camps or forts!)
  3. possible bonuses on the tile must allow the feature to spread over it (grassland oil/banana/pigs/rice/dye/gems/ivory/sugar only allow jungle, not forest)
  4. jungle is allowed to spread before forest
  5. spread can only occur along cardinal directions (N, S, E, W) not diagonal, for one tile the 4 (or fewer when at edge of map) respective probabilities are added up (max 4*64=256)
  6. the value is scaled for FEATURE_GROWTH_MODIFIER from GlobalDefines (*1.25)
  7. the value is scaled for ROUTE_FEATURE_GROWTH_MODIFIER from GlobalDefines (*0.5) if there is a road/railroad on that tile
  8. the result divided by 100 gives the probability for the spread of the feature in percent (max 4 forest preserves, no road -> 256*1.25/100 = 3.2%)

Number 1 was very surprising for me (I had a stack of workers stationed on a tile surrounded by forest preserves near my National Park city and waited for the spread and waited and waited ...).
There is no scaling for game speed and elapsed game turns, another surprise, as I was under the impression that natural spread occurs much more often in the early game than at later stages.

I very much dislike that number 7 is also factored in for the growth induced by forest preserve improvements. I think it's reasonable to have man-made routes decrease the chance of a feature's natural spread, but I disagree about man-made improvements. Unfortunately automated Workers don't know about those rules (yeah right--what do they know at all???). I only automate them to build trade networks, especially after Railroads, here they are actually quite competent, because they prioritize mines and quarries. But you can't tell them to leave your (potential) National Park city alone so they spoil the BFC by putting unpillagable roads/railroads there too. Thus I have proposed changes here to limit the impact of roads on feature growth to the natural variant. What do you guys think about that?

So it appears if an empty (non-road) tiles borders 1 forest the chance of a forest growth is 1/1000 (8.1,25/100=0,1%)...
So every forest tile has 4 adjacent tiles so the chance to pop a forest on one of those is 1/250... If you have 10 forests tiles around your city this means in average every 25 turns a new forest will grow.

Top Bottom