Deity cookbook I: Gilgamesh from Sumeria

Yeah, I had some free time last night and decided to dive in.

@Ras, i could post some ealier saves later when i get to my Civ PC.

@Silverbullet

Spoiler :

Oxford and HE in Capital (Uruk). Buearacracy will boost both national wonders significantly. Also GL is in capital providing even more synergy with Oxford for both beaker count and GPP.

@Ras

Spoiler :

I have no iron :lol: Although this applies to most of the saves it appears. I didn't realize it until it was too late :( Also, Shaka has very few cities and it looked like he actually lost a couple of cities so I'm worried that somebody I haven't met is somehow beating the crap out of him. And Pacal is ridiculous in my game. All in all, I think stronger saves have been posted.

First round to 1AD.

Spoiler :

A bit late with this but I've had much to do. SUmmary will be a bit brief.

950: Switch to Slavery+Rep

875: Finish lib in eridu and start running 2 scientists.

850: Sailing -> Pottery. I OB Suly and Pacal

825: I get a demerit from Shaka from refusing to aid his war effort.

775: Pottery -> Mysticism. Settler finishes in Uruk, start on a worker.
Jew Shrine BIDL (Pacal).
Suly gets alphabet.

750: I settle Lagash.

725: I settle Ur. With only a monument in Pacal's city I quickly gain control of the rice.

700: Mysticism -> Meditation.

675: Pacal spreads judaism to Uruk and Eridu. I decide to convert since Pacal Shaka and SUly all have the religion, taking my chances with the hindu Sal, who becomes annoyed, although he's winning the war against Shaka.
Worker finishes in Uruk I start on another settler.

625: TOA BIDL.

575: Med -> COL, enabled by my first tech trade.

550: Christianity FIDL in Mayapan.

525: Confu shrine BIDL.

500: Capital finishes settler, start on worker.

450: SOZ BIDL (Suly, Istanbul). His lands:

425: First GS born in Eridu, I save him for a philo bulb to remedy the tech situation since Pacal already has COL and Shaka and Sal won't trade.

400: Pacal is WHEOOHRN. I scramble to put some hammers on wall in border cities and change som builds to barracks/vultures.

375: MoM BIDL (Pacal).

350: Found another city.

325: GLH BIDL (Shaka).

300: Seems Pacal is after Sal since he moves troops away from Mayapan. I close borders with Suly to prevent him sneaking a galley behind my borders. It's trapped instead.

This puts him at a dangerous cautious though. Borders will pop in a couple of turns from 1AD so besides the settler in Uruk another might have to be whipped in order to claim both city-spots on the west coast.

275: Taoism founded on other continent.

250: Pacal dows Saladin. I OB with Shaka.

225: COL -> Alphabet. I'm unable to trade for alpha with Suly but I get Maths from him.

75: Suly bumped to pleased again from trading resources. Hindu shrine BIDL (Sal).

50: Another demerit from Sal for joining war, whatever.

25: Alphabet -> CS. I use my GS to bulb Philosophy and adopt pacifism.

1AD: I spread judaism to the GP farm Kish with a missionary.
Do the trades.

End screens:

A shot of Pacal's lands.

6 cities with space for 4 more +a barb city to capture for 11 total.
Pyramids.
Current research rate low since economy is still in recovery mode. It will get better when I've improved my 4 dyes (workers on it shortly) and whipped a few more ziggurats, I haven't yet switched to CS since slavery is still needed to whip infrastructure. Might also be able to trade with Shaka.
Diplo is fine with Pacal and Suly at pleased and Pacal Sal and Shaka wasting hammers on war.

Attachments

• DeityBS Gliese AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    208.5 KB · Views: 78
@Shyuhe and all
Spoiler :

Indeed we have no iron. That complicates matters a bit. Can get it from ai but it won't be cheap.

Played until 1AD. Situation looks good, but please don't vote for my save :) I think it's less optimal than others.
So far I have really enjoyed this thread. It's a great way to compare games.

Spoiler :

Techs: pottery->writing->alphabet (1/2 trade)->fishing->mathematics (trade)->meditation->priesthood->sailing->CoL->calendar (trade)->philosophy (bulb)->masonry->monarchy (trade)->currency (3 turns left)

After writing I start accumulating cash to determine what to do.
I decided to try to expand before attempting the pyramids, so I lost it even before teching masonry.

I tried for Alphabet. Halfway through Pacal has it, but luckily he has no IW, so I trade IW for half of Alphabet.
I later trade for math, and beeline Code of laws, because no one has it and confusianism has already been founded. I am first to CoL on my continent and manage to trade it for calendar and monarchy. I just bulbed philosophy and revolt to monarcy+pacifism.

I convert to Judaism.
Shaka declares on Saladin and asks for help. I agree. We are at war with Shaka. This helps keep Saladin cautious in spite of different religion.
Pacal has enough on his hands right now so it must be Saladin. I will try to trade with Saladin something before he becomes worst enemy.

Tech situation:

Hopefully Pacal and Suleiman will become friendly soon and give me a chance to trade philosophy for something.

I fogbusted too much and only got 1 barbarian city. A 9XP vulture is waiting there to unlock HE:

The economy is not great, 96 bpt while losing -36, but currency will improve it, as well as calendar resources that will come in a few turns, and more scientists once my cities recover from whipping.
Some cities can build gold to improve the economy, and with stone and protective we can chop/whip walls with an insane overflow to convert hammers to gold in x3 multiplier and guarantee 100% research for a long time.

If I continued this save, I would revolt to civil service+caste system to guarantee liberalism and beeline constitution. Nibru can borrow the capital's corn to grow a lot and then run a lot of scientists in starvation once we are in caste. Lagash is a secondary GP farm.

City and exploration:
Spoiler :

This is what I think my main mistakes were:
Spoiler :

1) Fogbusting too much - with this UU we actually WANT barbarian cities. I didn't get any.

2) Tech path. I beelined ironworking for the jungle and extra gems, but this map has much better options, mainly oracle and aggressive rexing. I also like the option that ABigCivFan went for - early Academy by settling the cow/fish.

If anyone is looking at my save, please let me know if you notice additional important mistakes.

Attachments

• Silverbullet-Gilgamesh-AD-1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    209.3 KB · Views: 60
Dirk1302, thanks for waiting! Here is my report until to 1AD:
Spoiler :

Other civs:
Opened borders with Sul and Pacal who are both Buddhists and now pleased with me. Trade Wine from Pacal (I think). The AP is also Buddhist (built by Pacal, who also got the most votes). I got Budd, Hind and Jud in my land, so I have to spread them around now. Budd spread, fortunately, on its own to quite a number of cities. Earned demerits with Shaka and Sal, when I declined their requests to join their war.

Empire:
I have 6 cities (together 34 pop, capital with 10 pop) and 7 workers.
Here is a shot of my empire:

Was very lucky to get Phrygien. All AIs on this continent had sent their troops there, however, only Sul had a swordsman next to it and attacked, leaving one archer which I took on during my turn and succeded.

Basic infrastructure: All cities have a granary, most have a lib and three have a Zig.
Eridu and Kish also have lighthouses and Kish a Hind monastery (to spread Hind around, Budd will come from the capital).

The capital (now building AP (Budd) buildings and missionaries). Oh, btw, I got ANOTHER gems there!!

Techs: Sailing -> CoL(as trade bait) -> Math (a few turns, then traded for it) -> calendar (2 turns or so, then traded for it) -> Aest -> Lit
MC and CoL became quite handy as they allowed me to trade for:
alphabet, monarchy, IW, Math (partly), Poly, and Cal (partly)
Since I had dumped my economy with the quick expansion in the beginning of the turnset, it took a while to get it back on track.

Had I known how unwilling the AI was in regard to trading I would have probably gone for math-curr first. However, only when I was half through math they suddenly changed their mind. And then (until now), they keep curr. and don't want to trade it.
Here, the foreign advisor tech screen:

Units: 1 trireme, 5 vultures, 2 warriors, 7 workers
I got a GS and thought of bulbing Philo. I waited with that, however, because Pacal started to monopolize all religions down the reli-path (got also Christ). Thus, I would like the other continent to get Tao (they got Conf), so that there is a little chance for some diversity over there. On the other hand, I don't want to wait too long, because I would like to have it before the other AIs on my continent get it.

Civics: HR (switched right after getting it) and Slavery

Ideas for this turnset were:
Expand to at least 6 cities and provide them with some infrastructure + build more workers to improve the land.
Tech-wise I am not sure whether I did the right thing. Since I didn't have marble, but Pacal did AND had researched Aest when I could trade with him, going the usual route to Literature asap seemed to be less interesting. So, I chose CoL as trade bait which worked out nicely (see above). I wanted to switch to Caste, but then I got the second gems and I had the feeling that not working such a great tile would be a waste. So, I decided against Caste. However, I am still pondering the idea of switching.

After getting a vulture up to 10xp I decided to finally go for Literature to build the HE - maybe in the capital, ABCFs arguments sound quite convincing.

Attachments

• CellKu, Gilgamesh, DeityBS AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    205.9 KB · Views: 63
@Cellku

Spoiler :

I am a bit surprised that you have not settled the great Stone/Rice/Gem city (my lagash spot). It is close to the capital, gem would pay for its maint, and all those river grass hills: I realized that it looks to be a even better HE spot than the capital long-term wise. It has plenty of grass farms, hills, workshop plains and 11 levee tiles!

@ABCF:
Spoiler :

Yeah, you are right! That might indeed be a better spot. Thanks for your advice!
Since, I had crashed my economy quite a bit, I reduced the speed of my expansion - probably a bit too much. But I think the first thing after getting the missionary in Uruk will be another settler for that spot.

@CellKu, nice :goodjob:, i'm almost done with the summary. I think i'll be able to post it tonight.

@Rusten,Tycoonist. Unless i've overlooked something i don't have 1 AD saves from you. Are you out for this round?

I think i'll begin the voting round tomorrow afternoon.

Afraid so. It's the end of the university semester right now so I haven't had much time due to exams + whatever and will continue to be pretty busy up until the 15th so I might miss the next round as well. I was hoping this game wouldn't start this soon, but you have enough players anyway so I'll just try to catch up later.

DC 1 AD summary

I made this summary looking at all the saves, while writing i had to remember stuff switching between the game and notepad. So i can easily have made some errors especially in the tech listing. Please correct me if i got something wrong. Also there's a limit to accuracy, Some may be able to trade now for some things etc... I can edit in details if you can give them to me. For my own game i listed the probably of getting CS soon for instance, for ABigCivFan's the possibility to get iron.

One thing that was just too tedious to do is seeing if HE is unlocked. Probably most of us can build it.Apart from worker count I have included land development for 4 saves because i remembered, i didn't want to go over all the saves again.

As for GPP, i have listed if an academy is present and the amount of gp's that can be used right now. A philo bulb shows up in the tech list.

Before we go on i'll mention a few map key points.

Cow/Rice city

Great Spices city and in the east of it Banana/Fish city.they often go together but not always as in my save

Ivory/marble city

Cow/double Ivory city:

Insane food city only counts as such if you also got the clam as most others can still build a reasonable city there.

In addition: Iron

There are of course more city sites but (almost) everyone has/is able to build for instance the 3dye/banana city or the gems/stone city.

There is also the normal bunch of Techs like Math, Col,Aest/Lit i won't comment on these unless someone is missing them.

Then there are those more unusual techs like Music/MC

I'm not going to comment with numbers, some are building research in their cities, some assigning scientists an overview of tech should suffice, i'm going to give a very general impression of what i saw in this respect looking at the game

Gliese
====

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7518119&postcount=86

Short description:
-----------------
Began with wonder building (Mids) then decided there was land to be settled out there after all and ultimately went on to snatch some but not all of the good spots.

Wonders:
--------
-Pyramids

Rexing:
6 cities

Medium,
-Banana/Fish city
-Insane food city

Research:
--------
Low/Medium, I wondered why it was so low with Mids,
Almost no one has currency in this game. This means that there's quite a bit of scope for improvement, once it's in it's possible to get some 15 gpt from resource deals soon.

Techs:
--------
Philosophy
Construction
Calendar
No poly/aest/lit

Infra
-----
2 cities quite developed, rest 1 or no buildings

Land development
7 workers
Mostly building cottages

GPP/Academy
-----------
None, 1 GS has bulbed philo

Civics
------
rep/slavery/pacifism

silverbullet
========

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7519854&postcount=88

Short description:
-----------------
Solid play. Meaning no wonders and not too much rexing. This has resulted in rather a lot of infra already in most cities.

Wonders:
--------
None

Research:
--------
Medium, 3 turns from currency which should help

Techs:
--------
Philosophy
Calendar
No poly/aest/lit

Infra
-----
Every city but one has 3+ buildings in it

Land development
-----------------
6 workers

GPP/Academy
-----------
bulbed philo, academy presumably with the next GS in 2 turns

Civics
------
HR/Slavery/pacifism/

Diplo/religion
---------------
Judaism, Sal and Shaka Hindu, at war with Shaka who can't reach silver because of no OB's.

Plan:
----
Beeline lib, then constitution.

ABigCivFan
========

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7517078&postcount=78

Short description:
-----------------
Medium rexing, wonder building but also some infra already in most cities. good research and gpp

Wonders:
--------
GL
Parthenon
Hanging gardens

Rexing:
-------
6 cities
Medium
-Cow/Rice city
-Ivory/marble city

On the bad side:
The whole Peninsula near insane food city threatens to be lost since Pacal has settled there

On the good side:
I think we can get iron peacefully in this one. It's possible to settle a mediocre city 2 tiles from the
iron, then team up culture with the cow/rice city which is settled one tile further than usual.

Research:
--------
High, 3 turns from CS with lots of scientists, pity to have missed out on the Mids with all these scientists assigned

Techs:
--------
No meditation, closest to CS

Infra
-----
2 Cities with only a granary, the others pretty developed, 10+ buildings/wonders in capital.

Land development
-----------------
8 workers

GPP/Academy
-------------
academy 2 GS's waiting to be used

Civics
------
HR/Caste

Diplo/religion
---------------
Judaism, only Sal Hindu, hasn't met Shaka

Plan:
----
Build HE in capital, this should help building a powerful medieval army. Smash Pacal subsequently

Shyuhe
=====

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7507801&postcount=77

Short description:
-----------------
Not much rex, wonder building

Wonders:
--------
Mids
GL

Rexing:
-------
6 cities
Low
-Cow/Rice city

Research:
---------
High, 2 turns to Col

Techs:
------
Calender
Currency
No Col
No meditation

Infra
-----
well developed capital and a second city with 4 buildings. Rest has 1 or 0.

Land development
------------------
8 workers

GPP/Academy
-------------
academy

Civics
------
rep/slavery

Diplo/religion
------------
Judaism, only Sal Hindu rest Jew

Dirk
===

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7517207&postcount=79

Short description:
-----------------
greedy rexing, some wonder building. Some gambits and a bit of luck (got alpha from Sulei 775 BC)

Wonders:
--------
GL
Parthenon

Rexing:
------
7 cities
High
Cow/Rice city
Banana/Fish city have to fight for banana
Ivory/marble city
Cow/double Ivory city have to fight against a Culture bomb

Research:
---------
Medium 10 turns to CS, will get it earlier in trade with friendly Pacal

Techs:
------
Music
Currency

Infra
-----
well developed capital one building average in the other cities, GL/NE combo is up.

Land development
------------------
7 workers
Farms

GPP/Academy
-------------
academy , 1 GS and 1 GA

Civics
------
slavery

Diplo/religion
------------
Judaism, only Sal Hindu rest Judaism

Plan:
----
Not fully decided, probably develop to the max building a lot of culture on the borders. Capital'll be moved to the 3dye/banana city in the not so near future . peaceful space or Push once AL's in. I could switch to ABigCivFan's plan building HE in capital.

Snaaty
=====

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7505561&postcount=57

It's a 75 BC save, Snaaty offered to play it until 1 AD. I felt that what is happening is clear enough as it stands. I have extrapolated some things to 1 AD so i didn't list Sailing as a missing tech, keep in mind that Snaaty's research'll be a bit better when he has it.

Short description:
------------------
greedy rexing this save has probably the most land.Some wonder building. It's the only save that has iron sofar.

Wonders:
--------
GL
Soz

Rexing:
-------
6 cities
High
Cow/Rice city ==> this one has iron.
Banana/Fish city
Ivory/marble city
Spices city has to fight for the spices in the future maybe.

Research:
---------
Low, researching sailing atm.

Techs:
------
No Currency
No Alpha
No Monarchy
No meditation

Infra
-----
well developed capital one building average in the other cities, GL/NE combo'll be up in 1 turn.

Land development
-----------------
8 workers

GPP/Academy
-------------
academy

Civics
------
slavery

Diplo/religion
------------
None, Sal and Shaka Hindu, rest Jew.

Plan:
----
Go peaceful space race

Earthling
======

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7503738&postcount=55

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7503738&postcount=66

It's not really possible to describe his save in terms as i listed above. Earthling declared on Pacal and has taken Mutal amongst some other cities. He has lots of vultures. You have to look at this save (well you probably have to look at all of them) to judge this. If he can take the rest of Pacal he'll be very well placed with all that land though there'll may still be some maintenance problems. If not,oh well....

Plan:
-----
Take out Pacal, live happily forever after.

RRRaskolnikov
==========

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7500197&postcount=39

Short description:
-----------------
Conservative play in terms of rex, some wonder building

Wonders:
---------
Mids

Rexing:
-------
5 cities
Low
Insane Food city
But lost out on the Banana/3dye city

Research:
---------
Medium researching Col

Techs:
--------
Calender
No Currency
No Monarchy
No Poly/Lit

Infra
-----
well developed capital a bit more than one building average in the other cities

Land development
------------------
9 workers
building farms

GPP/Academy
-------------
academy

Civics
------
Rep/slavery

Diplo/religion
------------
Judaism, Sal and Shaka Hindu, rest Jew.

CellKu
==========
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7520753&postcount=89

Short description:
------------------
Medium rex and the only oracle gambit game that has been pursued until now. This game also has some of the Snaaty rex a bit but in comparision the important marble/ivory city is missing consequently GL was missed. A silver and a gems was popped in the capital.

Wonders:
--------
Oracle

Rexing:
------
6 cities
medium/high
Cow/Rice city
Banana/Fish city
Spices city

In addition there's some chance maybe to get the clam near insane food (don't think so though)

Research:
---------
Medium, researching Lit

Techs:
------
Calender
MC
No Lit

Infra
-----
well developed capital Good infra in most other cities too

Land development
-----------------
7 workers

GPP/Academy
-------------
1 GS, no academy

Civics
-----
HR/slavery

Diplo/religion
------------
None, Sal is Hindu,Shaka Jew, rest Buddhist which is unusual

Plan:
----
Tentatively the same as ABigCivFan's, He in capital.

Turinturambar
==========

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7521531&postcount=98

Short description:
------------------
Medium rex and the second oracle gambit game that has been pursued until now. Also the form of rexing resembles CellKu's game

Wonders:
--------
Oracle

Rexing:
------
8 cities
medium/high
Cow/Rice city
Banana/Fish city
Spices city

Research:
---------
Low, researching Col, almost finished

Techs:
------
No Lit

Infra
-----
Well developed capital + 3 well developed other cities other 4 cities have 0-1 building. A lot of Zigs have been built already and all the spy points (732) are directed at Pacal. This means some techs can be stolen.

Land development
-----------------
8 workers
Some cottages up

GPP/Academy
-------------
no academy, first gp started a golden age.

Civics
-----
slavery

Diplo/religion
------------
Judaism, Sal, Shaka Hindu, rest Jew

Dirk1302, thanks a lot for your nice summary!!! :goodjob: It makes things really transparent. I like especially your map overview of good city spots! (I would be very grateful if you continued that in the next DCBs.)

Btw, your rexing is incredible! I will have a very close look at your game. :)

One thing about the description of my game: Shaka is now (1AD) Judaist, not Hindu anymore. So, there is quite some religious diversity on my continent.

Haha, not really possible to describe my game. Actually, to save people some time trying to sort out the mess if they load up the save, I encourage you to find post 66, it's a summary of what would likely happen in the next few turns. Economic situation is shot for both maintenance and upkeep, and unhappiness (could improve though). The plus factors are very possibly capturing the rest of Pacal's core cities, also bringing control of the Jewish shrine and AP. All the AI in my game are also significantly less developed techwise (kinda brought the whole world down with me...).

Edit: Also, Dirk, you've got the wrong post for my write up - that's 1800 AD. Post 54 earlier in the thread is my 1AD write up.

I played this to 1AD as well, pretty strong position with 8 cities.
Spoiler :
Oracled Metal casting and got all the mentioned city sites, except for the marble and dual elephants cities. Tech is decent with the usual suspects covered.
I got sloppy and forgot to breed me a few early GS, which will probably cost me liberalism, instead I got a prophet which I blew on a still ongoing GA, which was rather wasteful in retrospect.
I also went with a request to stop trading with Saladin, which probably cost me a few trades, but since he is hated by everyone that's not such a big deal.

On the plus side I have enough EPs to steal either Currency or Calendar from Pacal and will get Currency or Calendar in a few turns from trading Col with Suleiman. With those techs economic recovery should be speedy. Diplomacy is totally safe with both direct neighbours pleased/friendly and enough room for two more good cities and 3 to 4 fillers for leftover grassland.

Attachments

• DeityBS AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    206.5 KB · Views: 49
@Earthling, edited the save position, in the end it was 55 :lol:. I'll edit in pc 66 ,which is indeed helpful in explaining what your plans are, tomorrow before the vote. Forgot to do it just now and i really can't face editing that summary right now again :lol:.I really believe that people should open your save to see what's going on there.

@Turinturambar, welcome :goodjob:. I'll edit the summary tomorrow to include your contribution before the vote.

Good summary Dirk. I agree with most notes on my save though I would say that the workers are done cottaging, they're ready to get the dye plantations up now. I'm also wondering a bit about my low tech rate. I expect it will improve with a switch to CS as my cities has whipped a little more infrastructure and can run more scientists and the dye plantations are up and running, though I'm planning on getting another 2 cities within 10-15 turns which will put additional strain on upkeep costs. With pacifism and some good food cities there should be room for lots of bulbing once CS is researched hopefully.
For now I wanted to keep slavery to get a few more buildings up and to ensure Suly doesn't steal a spot on the west coast (need to whip 1 settler).

Edit: Also I note you wrote I have the GL which I do not, only mids. You might be thinking of shyuhe. I also don't have Currency. ;)

Top Bottom