G-Major 44

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Deity
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Huge
  • Map Type: Terra
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: England
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.74.003, 2.13.003 or 3.17.001
  • Date: 25th January to 25th February 2009
Must not play as Inca.

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Deity culture... someone should PM WastinTime and Jesusin to make sure they know. Might be fun to watch them go after this one :).

My computer won't like huge or epic, so not sure if i'll participate...

Deity culture... someone should PM WastinTime and Jesusin to make sure they know. Might be fun to watch them go after this one :).

Hey, did you see the HoF table? Currently I'm the first at huge/cultural/deity, which game was an epic one. I add that I will try to be the first in this gauntlet, even if I won't, I will still make WastinTime and Jesusin's work harder.

With the exception of Map type and Player Leader, there's only one game with these settings in the HOF:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/index.php?show=maps&condition=Cultural&pubID=76&difficulty=Deity&incBeta=0&speed=Epic&expansion=0&submit=Go

A very respectable date of 1350 AD by kovacsflo.

There's not many Deity Epic Cultural games in the smaller Maps (Tiny through Large) either.

Should be a very interesting Contest!

Sun Tzu Wu

I notice that in that game I played with the incas, capturing some cities nearby easily (only the capital was established between my legendary cities), which make the game much effective.

However I see that epic speed can be more easily can be fit to my tactic, since GA's have less importance and early wonders and cottages will really help you at the middle and late game.

I notice that in that game I played with the incas, capturing some cities nearby easily (only the capital was established between my legendary cities), which make the game much effective.

Being required to play Elizabeth (one of the best leaders for a Cultural Victory) and especially not being able to play Huayna Capac (Inca) is part of what will make this an interesting Gauntlet. The other interesting factors are Terra, Epic and Huge are seldom used for a Cultural game, so even the players with vast Cultural experience may have some trouble getting a good (< 1500 AD) date.

Sun Tzu Wu

Does it have to be Elizabeth? It just says England, so surely you could play Victoria or Churchill if you wanted. Not sure why you would want to for a cultural, but I haven't mis-understood, have I?

Does it have to be Elizabeth? It just says England, so surely you could play Victoria or Churchill if you wanted. Not sure why you would want to for a cultural, but I haven't mis-understood, have I?

Correct, you can play Victoria or Churchill if you want.

If you were trying for an OCC-PA win, Victoria wouldn't be the worst choice but I imagine most people will try with Elizabeth.

I'm struggling with Map Finder at the moment for this map. Is there a lack of gems or gold on a Terra map as I have only had 1 map come up with 1 gold. Takes ages to get through the maps as well.

I think it's just the sluggishness of regenerating Huge maps means you don't get to look at many good starting spots. I gave up on using Mapfinder for this gauntlet and regenerated manually so I could move units around each time and get a better view.

I found a start with freshwater corn, freshwater wheat, cows, and gold that I was happy with. Settings were: 10 AI, low seas, Elizabeth.

From a few other practice games I noticed that the AI was very fast to Alphabet. There was little chance of getting there first without 3 gems or something in the FC. So I decided to beeline to Math and use it as trade-bait. So first techs were Agri-AH-Writing-Math. By the time I got to Math, 2-3 AI had Alpha, and several more had it soon after. But no one had Math, so I got some good trades in to backfill Wheel, Pottery, BW, Sailing, Myst, IW, etc. There was a good bit of open space around me, so I set down three more cities before building a library in my capital.

From there, I went for Aesthetics-Lit-Music. I got beaten to Music by Gandhi, even though I didn't trade him any techs. I guess he was going for Cultural as well. At this time, I expanded to 7 cities. Aesthetics-Lit-Music was good trade bait, and picking up Currency let me sell techs around and keep my resaerch at 100%. I build Parthenon in my capital and later Sistine in a city with a lot of forests.

I partially researched Philosophy before Wang (Korea) beat me to it. (Zero religions founded by me.) I was able to get to Friendly with Wang and trade for Philosophy. Some tech brokering got me Civil Service and Theology, so I started on the path to Paper-Education.

The world was split into Hindus and Islamists ("choose religions" option was on). I had both religions but decided to side with the larger, closer Hindu bloc. Unfortunately, these were the only two religions that ever spread to me. My only hope for a third was taking Divine Right with Liberalism.

I won the Liberalism race in 100AD but Divine Right was already researched, so I took Printing Press and traded it for Nationalism. With Hindu and Islamic temples completed in 8 cities, I whipped the cathedrals in my capital and other cottage city, and built the Hermitage in the capital. This took a while without marble. In 295AD, I switched over to Caste System, Pacifism, Free Speech and Mercantilism during a golden age, and set out for the long march toward three legendary cities.

The next 1000 years were spent building more farms for my 6 GA-producing cities, and a few more cottages for my cottage cities. I signed defensive pacts with 4 different AI to try to discourage the Islamists from attacking me. Charlemagne had already attacked 2 of my Hindu allies.

In the end, I didn't get DOWed, and finished in 1395AD. In all, I grew 2 Great Scientists (Academy and Education) and 17 Great Artists (1 Golden Age, 16 bombed). It was a very different type of game than the previous Deity Culture gauntlet. Having a minimum of 10 AI makes it hard to be the first to anything. But having so many trading partners has its own advantages.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 172
Hmmm ... I was under the impression that settling GArtists are better in culture games. How do you get high amounts of culture from bombing them? I can only ever manage a maximum of +4000 culture per bomb.

And only 3 religions? Seems I need to read up on the culture victory mechanics more. I need all 7 religions to get my culture victories :(

It depends on when you get them. Early on, you may be better settling as the culture they generate over their lifetime will outstrip the bomb amount. Later you get more from the bomb. But if you settle instead of bomb, you can't save them up to push all your cities over same turn (so no-one realises how close you are until you have already won).

Hmmm ... I was under the impression that settling GArtists are better in culture games. How do you get high amounts of culture from bombing them? I can only ever manage a maximum of +4000 culture per bomb.

GA bombs are worth 6000 culture at epic speed. I bombed 16 GAs for 96,000 culture, about 43% of the 225,000 needed.

In my game, my first artist came ~110 turns before victory, and I used it for a golden age. The second one came ~105 turns before victory. I could have settled him in the capital for 14 * 4 = 56 culture per turn. But 56 * 105 is less than 6000, and I was worried about overkill in the capital since I already had the Hermitage there.

If you get the free Artist from Music, it usually makes sense to settle it. Other ones you'll have to estimate your finish date and see if it will pay off.

And only 3 religions? Seems I need to read up on the culture victory mechanics more. I need all 7 religions to get my culture victories :(

I only had 2 religions in my game. :( I thought I would end up with a bad date because of this, so I was very happy breaking 1400AD. Usually I like to have 3-4 religions in a culture game. Every additional cathedral brings diminishing marginal returns to your finish date, so I doubt the benefit of the final few justify the cost.

If you get the free Artist from Music, it usually makes sense to settle it. Other ones you'll have to estimate your finish date and see if it will pay off.
or let the Culture calculator help you estimate how many turns are left and use this as a guide for or against settling :mischief:
I'll try this one :)

Did you have 8 or 9 cities? Did you turn up the culture after Printing Press or keep going to Nationalism and Banking (or where these from trades).

I went for 8 cities so I could get 2 cathedrals for each religion.

I was able to trade PP for Nationalism and Banking, so after PP I turned up the culture slider.

Top Bottom