Wrath of the AI

510 AD - I suffered no new attacks during the IBT, but the situation in the south continues to look grim.

Rudder will likely fall, and the Commercial will probably head to Broken Mast after that. Seeing how hopeless the situation is there, I switch Broken Mast to a Spearman and Oar to an Archer - walls in Broken Mast would help my enemy more than I. Ah, Broken Mast - how little triumphant the name seems now!

Bills comes under attack this turn. The odds should be narrowly in my favor.

But it turns out the odds are 100% for the Commercial this turn. They have at least 3 Spearmen and an Archer in the city. I win half of the two battles I opt to fight, and have the third Swordsman fight and lose to the Spearman northwest of my attacking stack. My reinforcements fight their way forward, and find more Commercial reinforcements.

Three Swordsmen and an Archer - they could kill my entire stack. I again opt to take the river-crossing penalty on the attack, and move my force directly west across the river and out of the enemy Swordsmen's range. More reinforcements continue to move in behind them.

The battle then turns to Profit, a city I've been wishing to raze ever since its establishment.

Losses are small, and the city is burned. A Settler is on the way to resettle and restore the region to its rightful rulers.

Finally, up north, the Commercial Warrior is dealt with.

Their Swordsman will weaken himself against Bright Future, or Lack of a Future as it is to him, and if he survives, will be finished off by my Swordsman.

Rudder, sure enough, comes under attack the next turn, and despite a decent defensive showing, falls.

The Sailors also land an Archer near Greek Fire.

The city is near hopeless - the Dromons will redline the poor Spearman before the Archer attacks. The river prevents my Swordsman in Mizzen Sail from attacking the Archer, and even sending the Swordsman to the city probably is a temporary solution with that many Dromons around. I try it anyways - where's a Chariot when you need one?

On the good side, the culture pop in Greek Fire this turn exposed a coast across the way. There could be more civilizations there! Or just a huge Naval colony. But I won't be finding out till this war's over - the eastern seas are thoroughly off limits for me now.

My Swordsmen are attacked outside of Bills, and one falls. I still have four ready to attack. The Commercial Swordsmen that I thought would go after Broken Mast seem to be coming this way instead - Bills could well become the epicenter of this war.

Mountain Wheat fends off another attack, and while my Spearman at Bright Future loses, their Swordsman is redlined. Things seem to have stabilized somewhat.

The western seas are still Dromon-free, and my Curragh completes its circumnavigation of the Militarists this turn! The poor land-dwellers are islandbound!

So much for free units being a blessing - the whole point of it is to conquer on land. The Seafaring, meanwhile, are forced to do just that. Starting location has dealt both a cruel twist of fate.

I attack Bills again in 520.

After two losses to start the combat, I decide I don't want this river penalty anymore. My reinforcements fight to gain the far shore.

:eek:

Eight Swordsmen and a Spearman are revealed upon my advance. I decide I don't actually want to give up the river penalty after all, and move my troops into river-penalty position once more.

The greek fire attack on Greek Fire turns out to be less damaging than I feared, and my units aren't all redlined. But the Swordsman still dies in defence, and another Archer is landed. The city isn't safe yet.

So long as they're on an island, I won't fear them that much. Sure they'll be a pain to invade, but I won't bother trying that.

I manage to kill two enemy Swordsmen in the desert, but they retake their ground. This battle is far from determined.

And out west, the Commercial capture my Curragh. Capture? Since when could you capture a ship? Enslave, sure, but capture? Well, apparently you capture any zero defence unit you can build. So the Commercial captured my Curragh.

The Third Battle of Bills begins in 530 AD. I am fairly confident in my ability to take the city, if not settle the battle.

That changes when my first three Swordsmen all die to little avail. Only three more remain within attacking range. Crikey those Spearmen are good! I switch strategies to attacking their offensive units.

I lose one unit in the offensive. Another four Swordsmen and two Spearmen are revealed. I defeat the units immediately NW of Bills as well, and can do no more there this turn.

My only other military move is to attack one of the Archers outside Greek Fire and to reinforce it with a Catapult.

My Swordsman loses no hitpoints, and I'm beginning to think perhaps I can fend off this threat.

So with no other means to advance my cause, I found the city of Incensed Hills on the old site of Profit, and end my turn.

Near Bills, the Commercial manage to take out three of my Swordsmen the next turn.

They do not attack my forces directly north of Bills. If I ever start winning there, I might take the city yet.

They also are greatly lured by my forces advancing from Incensed Hills.

They lose one Swordsman to my stout defence. Looks like this could become a new main front.

At this point I'm still unsure whether I'll be able to win the war. The capture of Profit doesn't quite make up for the loss of Anchor, let alone the other cities. I hit F8 and look at the power graph, and see a sorry picture being painted.

Yikes. The Talented are just blowing everyone away. The Commercial aren't necessarily gaining on me, but neither am I gaining on them. If this war stalemates too much longer, I'll have to make peace to avoid letting the already dominant Talented gain too much more on everyone else.

In fact, I don't think I actually can win this battle at Bills. So, rather than continue fighting more than I can take, I reach out to the Sailors and make peace in exchange for 71 gold. The loss of Rudder and Port is regrettable, but I just don't have the forces to fend off their Archers as well as the Commercial Swordsmen right now. I then establish an embassy with the Naval.

Nothing too impressive, but enough production that they probably would overwhelm Oar and Broken Mast eventually. Better yet, I am able to bring them to my side with the enticement of some luxuries.

The only downsides of this are that it risks the Commercial absorbing the Naval, and that it commits me to 20 more turns of war. I really don't know whether that's the best thing for me long term at this point.

540 AD - By Bills, I am in a rather sorry position. I have five Swordsmen of decent health to commit this turn, that is, not nearly enough.

And the first one fights like a rabbit that's so thoroughly enjoying its carrot that it doesn't even notice the cat sneak up on it! Pitiful!

Fortunately the rest do better. The last Swordsman is sent against the city itself.

And wins! If it weren't for the four Swordsmen and two Spearmen the Commercial still have near the city, I might think I was doing well.

On the western front, I continue my advance towards Coins, and a Swordsman bravely sacrifices himself to cut off Commercial reinforcements.

In 550, I call a general retreat from Bills. The Commercial have the numerical advantage, and sending my troops all in now would be pointless. A retreat should allow me to even the odds.

My advance on Coins continues, however. The Commercial advance in 555, oddly, ignores my Swordsmen.

Their Swordsman loses. I attack Coins my next turn.

They are left with a redlined Spearman defending the city! One loss in my attack ruined it all! Still, I may be able to finish them off next turn thanks to the sacrifice of my brave Swordsman.

Perhaps sensing the doom of Coins, the Commercial ask me to settle our differences on their turn. But they won't part with much of their gold, the misers, so I elect to keep my reputation intact instead.

So instead they attack Power of the Sword with a Spearman.

My Warrior wins. Two redlined Swordsmen were there if necessary - this wasn't nearly as close as it may have seemed.

I try my luck at Coins again the next turn, but am denied. Another Spearman falls, but they have a new one in reserve :(. My reinforcements, too, are defeated.

This war really isn't going my way right now. I have my troops near Bills rest another turn; the Commercial are advancing towards Mountain Wheat.

My remaining Swordsman near Coins puts up a good fight, killing one Swordsman and redlining another before falling. Elsewhere, the Commercial appear to be redirecting their forces towards Broken Mast and more generally the Sailors. I'd been hoping they would commit to Mountain Wheat.

Polytheism is completed in 570 AD. I'm still in Despotism at this point, something I should change. The Republic isn't a viable option right now as I'm relying on my military police in most of my cities - I could actually use more. So Monarchy makes some sense. But it would take 10 turns or so to research and might leave me with insufficient unit support, as I'm at 94/108 right now. Rather, I think I'll go for Feudalism. Medieval Infantry would be a huge help, the unit support should be higher for now, and the increased military police would be nice. The low war weariness is not ideal, but as I'm pretty sure it wouldn't accumulate until I actually adopted Feudalism, it shouldn't be a problem right away. And if I'm lucky, I'll draw Feudalism as my free tech, and get it quicker than I could either Monarchy or Republic.

Of course, that's all assuming I can handle the Anarchy. And at this point I'm none too sure of that. So I may have to wait until the end of this war for a revolution regardless.

The war is on several fronts in 580 AD. One is at Broken Mast.

My victory is enough to assure it will survive this turn, so long as the Commercial continue to not send in Horsemen (a bit surprising that they haven't at all, really).

I also have some favorable odds near Mountain Wheat - goodbye Commercial Swordsmen!

Or goodbye my units that are being rather pitiful on the offense these last several centuries. Talk about this time period being the Dark Ages!

Broken Mast, losing on the defence now, is doomed. If it is lucky it will hold out another turn. Fortunately my other cities are safe for now.

:eek: Just when it looked like the Universalists were running low on money! The Wealthy are one of the fewer civilizations whose bonuses can be captured, and this bodes most poorly for me. Nothing I can do about it now, though.

I check in with the Talented the next turn, and see what they have to offer.

:faint:

You need more Catapults, the odds on Sword-Spear and Sword-Sword attacks are damn near 50-50, and those odds seem to turn into 60-40 for the AI. Redlined units fare much worse than healthy ones.

Ouch, you are facing some serious competition! I can't wait to see how this plays out!

Thank good for the valiant effort in retaking and holding my namesake! :woohoo: :woohoo: Now time to go after those bums that attacked! CHAARRRGE! :aargh: :aargh: :aargh:

The AI really wants that city... are you sure the Iroquois are not in this game?

What I like about the game is that it is not a comp stomp- the AI is giving almost as good as it is getting.

Very good read :goodjob:

I agree that you need some artillery pieces. Probably first though peace would be best... give you some time to build some real punch. The world is kinda leaving you in the dust, if you didn't notice.

Yeah, you call me CapnVonObvious :p

You need more Catapults, the odds on Sword-Spear and Sword-Sword attacks are damn near 50-50, and those odds seem to turn into 60-40 for the AI. Redlined units fare much worse than healthy ones.

You may be right about that. I only have one at the moment. I could probably rectify that decently quickly given their low cost.

Ouch, you are facing some serious competition! I can't wait to see how this plays out!

Thank good for the valiant effort in retaking and holding my namesake! :woohoo: :woohoo: Now time to go after those bums that attacked! CHAARRRGE! :aargh: :aargh: :aargh:

The AI really wants that city... are you sure the Iroquois are not in this game?

Yup, the AI are playing fairly well. No problem retaking Brucha's Commune - its loss couldn't be allowed. But there's no way I can attack the Talented right now!

The Iroquois are not in in the game :). The Diplomats, like the Iroquois, are Commercial and Agricultural, though. And the Talented do favour Democracy (although the Iroquois actually favor Communism in regular Conquests).

:rotfl: Brucha, I don't think you'll ever forgive the Iroquois for being bastions of democracy! :mischief: :p

Quintillis, keep up the suburb storytelling. This has me engrossed.

Will do. And yeah, it may be a few decades before Brucha's willing to play the Iroquois again.

What I like about the game is that it is not a comp stomp- the AI is giving almost as good as it is getting.

:( That's almost too true...

Very good read :goodjob:

I agree that you need some artillery pieces. Probably first though peace would be best... give you some time to build some real punch. The world is kinda leaving you in the dust, if you didn't notice.

Yeah, you call me CapnVonObvious :p

Really, you think so? I thought I was doing just splendid in part nine.

Only the Talented are really leaving me in the dust, though. I'm only 80 points behind the Commercial, and ahead of the other three civilizations that I know (Seafaring, Scientific, Militarists). Although that does leave the door wide open for the civilizations I don't know. And the war has kind of bogged me down. :blush: The current plan is to keep up the good fight until 740 AD when the alliance with the Sailors expires. In that time I hope to at least capture Bills and Coins, and ideally a source of Horse as well. Needless to say, the success of those plans is not guaranteed.

In 590 AD, I'm finally starting to build up sufficient forces that I may be able to make measurable progress again. But the situation remains far from ideal.

I continue to try to save Broken Mast. It is an endeavour unlikely to succeed, but it must be attempted nonetheless.

My new Galley spots what I suspect are Governing lands across the way from Greek Fire. Most likely, the Governors are doing quite well. I do not meet them this turn.

I resume my offensives this turn, sending 16 Swordsmen and a Spearman towards Bills, and six Swordsmen towards Coins. I am cautiously optimistic they will succeed.

I lose one Swordsman in the Commercial counteroffensive near Bills, as do they. It could have been considerably worse.

Broken Mast, unfortunately, falls this turn. I may be able to retake it for a turn, but there's hardly any chance I'll be able to keep it into the 600's.

I finish Philosophy in 600, and set research to two-turn Horseback Riding. I'll soon be in the Middle Ages.

I was mistaken about whose borders I saw across from Greek Fire - it actually is the Frisky!

The Frisky have a mere six cities. This seems odd, as they should be able to colonize large amounts of land. Taking a look at the Histograph, I see a slow, steady decline. Whether they got stuck on a small island, or have been partially conquered, I am not yet able to ascertain.

There are five Commercial units within my area of attack by Bills; I decide to finish them all off while the offensive advantage is mine.

They are destroyed without loss. Only one Spearman is revealed to me on crossing the river - perhaps the Commercial finally have used most of their reinforcements!

At Broken Mast, I kill a defending Spearman, but a redlined Swordsman remains in defence. The city won't be falling to me anytime soon. Oar, meanwhile, is in danger, so I send our its Archer to finish off an injured Swordsman.

It will take luck for Oar not to fall. The Archer of Oar is killed during the Commercial's next turn, but no units reach the gates of Oar - a Spearman will be completed in time to defend it once more. My forces near Broken Mast fends off an attacker in 605, but several more Commercial units are within the city.

My Coin force is attacked as well, but has a net loss of zero hitpoints. It's doing quite a good job at drawing troops away from other points of contention without de facto suffering losses itself.

I am ready to take Bills at long last in 610. A dozen Swordsmen are ready to take it, and it is sure to fall.

The first attack, in a rare occurence, bodes well. My second Elite wins as well, and my next two Veterans garners promotions to Elite. Finally, another Archer is defeated, and...

The city is finally mine! Four Workers are captured with it, and they immediately begin building road.

The Commercial make failed attacks on my Coin offensive (again causing a net loss of zero hitpoints thanks to a promotion), Mountain Wheat, and Bills on their turn. They succeed, however, in knocking out my forces near Broken Mast, despite a forest/river bonus, and capturing every single catapult in my whole empire.

But catapults are made obsolete as soon as we lose our last one, as we draw Engineering as our free tech, and can now built Trebuchets. I'd rather have had Feudalism, but Engineering is better than Monotheism. The rivers in the south have been an annoyance to cross for many centuries - not anymore!

My Galley in the east comes across another civilization in 620, although it does not establish if this means the Frisky have been being conquered or not. That civilization is the Urban.

The Urban are a bit behind the Commercial in score, and have a Monarchist government. As they can establish (and indeed have established) cities beyond size 12 early on, they likely have quite favourable unit support at the moment. I establish an embassy in their capital of Thebes.

Happiness is their limiting factor right now. I'd love to trade some Wine to them for Furs, but unfortunately that'll have to wait for Astronomy.

I hope for another great victory this turn, with my attack on Coins. The odds appear to narrowly favour me.

Despite my first Swordsman getting schooled, the next four win, and the city is razed. Seven workers are captured as a result, and they begin my usual road-building campaign. I end my turn, with things looking the best they have in a long time. And then, as luck would have it, I get this message:

:cry: Not two-front war again! I call together all the Swordsmen in the area and have them head towards Jungle Town. If I'm going to win this war, I'm going to have to do it quickly. Spearmen from Thunderfall join the offensive as well.

The only good thing is that I decided to research Feudalism instead of Republic last turn. I have a feeling I'll be needing some Pikemen before too long.

Worldmap please.

Ask and ye shall recieve. This time at least! This map is from 590 AD, the most recent savegame before the current time.

Why are you playing a British Isles map?

Despite the impending doom up north, the southern campaign will continue for awhile. My troops are approching Anchor, and should be able to attack it soon. In 645 AD, they are attacked by the Commercial just as they reach the gates.

Reinforcements will probably be necessary to take the city. Still, I am cautiously optimistic about my chances.

But I'm sure not too thrilled about my chances at Jungle Town.

Guns! I should still be able to take it, but it'll be costly. And meanwhile, tons of Archers are walking by Northern Frontier. I need Feudalism now.

The southern front, however, still looks a bit up. I found Theryman's Plains southwest of the old location of Coins, and its founding allows me to launch a thorough attack on the Commercial units in the area.

Their units are destroyed, and I then attack near Anchor.

My force does horribly, and is destroyed. Two of my three reinforcements coming towards Anchor retreat, and the third pillages the road to save the others. More reinforcements beyond that are coming as well, so the city should fall, but this is a big setback.

My scouts this turn determine that the poor Frisky were islandbound as well. What misfortune for two land-based civilizations to be left islandbound.

The Commercial advance a bit on their turn, but not menacingly so.

I still have hopes for Anchor - all is not lost yet!

In 660, I launch my fateful attack on Jungle Town. Victory will bring glory and a chance of victory; defeat will be disasterous.

And a disaster it is. I have no luck early on, and the Talented have at least three Musketmen there. Many Swordsmen are lost before the attack is called off as it becomes evident no number of Swordsmen can bring victory here. This city will require Medieval Infantry to take.

The Talented respond with a punishing attack on Northern Frontier in 666.

At first the battle swings my way, but both my second and third Spearman fail to take out a single Archer. Fortunately the rest perform as expected, but once their seven Archers were depleted, I was down to a redlined Spearman. A Spearman of theirs attacked and I feared the fate of Brucha's Commune would be repeated here, but thankfully, this time my Spearman was successful in the defence. The city survived. Losses totally four on my side and eight on theirs.

C'mon, really? Can't you ever not be first???

Despite my victory, I am none too confident about keeping Northern Frontier. One Elite Spearman versus three Archers, plus injured reserves, isn't great, and if the city falls, I'm not getting it back. Knowing their Settlers can't cross the jungle, I take a page out of the Russian book, and sell the improvements of Northern Frontier, have its Spearman retreat, and abandon the city. Hard to conquer someone if there's nothing left to conquer!

Thankfully, the tidings aren't all grim, and in 670 I launch offensives towards Broken Mast and Bank.

Next turn I will launch another offensive towards Anchor. Hopefully the combined attacks will overwhelm the Commercial.

I am fortunate and the Commercial do not attack any of my units. The offensives are likely to succeed. More fortunately - I think - is that I am somehow able to trade with the Urban now. I don't think they're so advanced they have Astronomy, but I disregard that potential danger for now and gladly trade them Incense and Wine for Furs. The happiness bonus couldn't have come soon enough.

So it comes that in 680, I attack Broken Mast with hopes of recovering it.

My troops again fare poorly, and the city is left with a redlined Spearman defending it. I may be able to take it next turn, but I don't particularly expect it given how things have been going. I move my reserves from Stern forward to join in the attack - it's all or nothing right now.

Bank should have more success, given the number of troops there.

And indeed it does, despite the number of troops there (four Spearmen defending the city!). The city is razed, as right next to a volcano is no place for a city. A Settler will resettle it in a less-doomed location in a couple turns.

Eleven Swordsmen are preparing for my last attack on Anchor. They must fight their way to it first.

They have reasonable success in this endeavour, and may be able to reach Anchor safely. But there is no such thing as a safe assumption right now.

The Talented are not particularly visible up north at the moment, so my Spearman from Northern Frontier takes up a scouting position while I destroy their advance Spearman.

My Trebuchet doesn't help a bit, and a Swordsman dies after redlining the Spearman. Another Swordsman finishes him off, but the battle is characteristic of how the last three centuries or so have been going.

Seriously? It sure is inconvenient having wealthy enemies. Not like the Frisky can do anything to me, but it's still yet another war to fight.

The Commercial attack en masse their next turn.

The Trebuchet hits its target near Broken Mast, but the entire contingent along with the Trebuchet is destroyed. That front isn't advancing anytime soon.

Three Swordsmen are lost near Anchor. I have a very bad feeling about this advance now. Nevertheless, I am able to reach the gates of Anchor on my next turn, and don't lose a hitpoint in defeating their injured Swordsmen.

But I am dealt another blow with news that my luxury deal with the Urban has been terminated! It's because of the war with the Frisky! Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhh!!!

It still isn't clear just where the Talented are headed in 690, but they are certainly visible now.

I cede ground to buy time. It'll take awhile before they reach any cities.

The Commercial make a large attack on my forces near Anchor in 695. I kill two, but lose three. This city isn't being taken. The remaining troops are ordered to fall back. And then I get this notice.

So much for this war. It isn't going anywhere against Pikemen. I'll have to settle for defending my ground now. Although that may be as much about hopeless advances as defending, given the weakness of the southeastern part of my empire.

700 AD sees the founding of Sweet Defeat to replace Banks. Although it was actually the location of one of the few victories of the war, the overall war tastes far more of defeat than it does of victory at this point.

By 700 AD, the Talented are advancing well. I hope to make a fortress out of a mountain by Thunderfall, and send four Spearmen to guard it. Soon it will have a road, and make for an excellent Trebuchet launch pad.

The Talented take the bait, and waste three Swordsmen against the mountain.

One Archer is within range of Thunderfall by the end of the turn, but the city should be safe. The Spearmen guarding him are more of a threat, due to the potential for pillaging. I have four Trebuchets and eight Swordsmen nearby.

The Commercial continue advance from Anchor in the direction of Bills in 705, killing a Swordsman of mine with a Medieval Infantry.

The Talented, more surprisingly, attack with a Musketman near Brucha's Commune.

They are heartily rewarded for it, with a leader. That'll cancel out any benefit my offensives have in 711. True, I could attack the Musketmen and kill the leader instead of attacking their main forces. But that isn't really a tenable proposition, so instead I send my Trebuchets and Swordsmen against the troops west of Thunderfall.

All four of my Trebuchets near Thunderfall are successful in 711. I then send in an Elite Swordsman, who gets destroyed by a three-hitpoint Spearman whose Archer failed to help him. It really seems like I managed to increase the difficulty of the random number generator sometimes.

Thereafter my attacks go considerably better, and the Talented are left with a redlined Spearman outside of Thunderfall.

In 715, the Talented first attack the city of Stern in the south with a couple Knights they had dropped off.

No luck on the defence. This city is probably lost long-term. At least I still have Oar.

They also attack the mountain by Thunderfall.

They lose two Swordsmen to take out one Spearman; I complete a road there and will be able to move Trebuchets there next turn.

And they get free barracks. Excellent. Just what I always wanted to hear.

Their advance, however, seems to be more towards Desert's Edge than anything.

I order four Spearmen to the mountain immediately south of the first of the Talented forces. That ought to slow them down.

At Thunderfall, six Trebuchets bombard the troops northeast of the city, and Swordsmen then attack.

I lose one Swordsmen; all four of their units on that tile are destroyed.

The Sailors make a valiant attack on some advancing Commercial troops their next turn, but all is for naught.

We both are being soundly beaten in this war. 'Tis not good.

The Talented land a couple Galleys' worth of Horsemen in my lands in 725, and I reinforce Dromon Delta from Choxorn's Oases in response. With the 50% city bonus, it should be able to defend itself well.

730 AD should, hopefully, be the last turn in which I have to fight the Talented. They avoided my mountain, and instead moved a good number of troops towards Bright Future.

I move the entire garrison of Tobacco Junction to Bright Future. Then, as Thunderfall is not being threatened, I go on the offensive. So long as Bright Future is saved, our future isn't doomed. And it only needs to be saved for one turn. If it falls, quite possibly so will our potentially bright future.

My Trebuchets do well, leaving just two of their Spearmen unscathed. Swordsmen then rush in to finish the job.

Despite getting to their Swordsmen quickly, my Swordsmen are entirely unable to defeat their Swordsmen. The five hitpoints they take off may prove important, but actually killing a few of the blokes would have been appreciated. So I send in Spearmen to guard my stack, and end my turn.

The Talented sure enough do attack Bright Future.

Two Swordsmen die, but their Archer succeeds. They do not send in their injured reserves, and the city does not fall.

They also decide to throw away four Swordsmen against my mountain position. I don't lose a single Spearman.

Down south, they drop off another Horseman and Pikeman near Dromon Delta, but do not attack the city. The Commercial do not attack me, either. They seem to be focusing on absorbing the Sailors - Rudder has already fallen.

So I've survived until 740 AD without any fatal losses. The situation is certainly grim, but I may be able to wiggle my way out of this jam. I had gone to each civilization last turn to see what I could expect in a peace deal, and both wanted a city. So the peace deals could be painful. But not making them would certainly be worse. I set my science to zero and go to the Talented first.

Hey! That's not nearly as bad as I expected! The Commercial only want 7 GPT. I decide to see if I can bully them into demanding less, and move my forces forward.

Still 87 gold + 7 GPT. So I attack Export.

Still 87 gold + 7 GPT. So I attack a Medieval Infantry.

Still 87 gold + 7 GPT. Okay. I'm starting to get the picture that this isn't going to change. Maybe the AI doesn't re-evaluate what peace is worth mid-turn. So I make peace for 80 gold + 7 GPT. The Talented now want 16 GPT even (seeing as I have less initial gold to offer). I'd be willing to agree to that, but first I decide to knock off any Talented units that are easy pickings.

Three Talented Spearmen and two Archers are killed, and one idiotic Swordsman of mine manages to get himself killed by a redlined Archer. Overall a good ratio. The Talented still want 16 GPT, but I feel a bit better about it after having taken out those units.

I then decide to settle with the Militarists as well. They are very eager to make peace, and will even give me a city to do so. That seems like a double-edged sword. Take it, and they'll probably invade me some day to take it back. But it would also give me a city I could tribute to the Talented should I get in another disasterous war with them, and a way onto their island. In the end I make peace for nothing (seeing as they had no gold), despite the great temptation to accept the city of Death just so I could have given Death to the Talented if they had ever wanted a city for peace in the future.

The Settlers are still unwilling to negotiate so soon after the outbreak of hositilies, so the Frisky war will continue. But I don't think they'll bring any an allies against me.

So I set research back to 60%, am pleased to see the lower funding won't increase the time to discover Feudalism, and take a look at the current situation of the Empire.

The Demographics have been getting worse. I was fourth in manufacturing in 190 and am ninth now. Yikes. My GNP has been doing better at continuing to increase in absolute value, and despite still being a Despotism, it has only fallen from fifth to sixth over the past five and a half centuries. Population has fallen from third to fifth, and in a rare bright spot, my land area rank has increased from seventh to sixth. So perhaps my potential has actually increased, and I've just done a much worse job of capitalizing on that potential. Literacy is in third place, as it was in 190, and disease has gone from worst to second-worst (even accounting for the Wealthy being conquered). That's probably as much due to the losses of Jungle Town and Northern Frontier as anything, so that "improvement" is not actually a good thing at all. It certainly isn't due to massive clearing of jungles.

The Power graph isn't too friendly. The general trend is the Talented gaining power and me losing power. I do have that bright spot in the early 600's, but generally... ugh. Score is about the same as it has been for a long time.

And the victory screen isn't very good. A Cultural victory already looks like a very far-fetched possibility.

So there's a lot of work to be done. The next several centuries will see a huge focus on city improvements, and, hopefully, I'll emerge much more powerful than I am now at the start of the next millenium.

Must... have.... another.... update..... :crazyeye:

edit: Do you compile your replies in a different program, like Word, and then post them here? Just a question of curiosity. :)

Must... have.... another.... update..... :crazyeye:

edit: Do you compile your replies in a different program, like Word, and then post them here? Just a question of curiosity. :)

Haha, there have already been three today! Maybe I've set unrealistic expectations...

I write my story sections in Notepad as I play the game. Since the posts don't always correspond to what I have played thus far (I got quite ahead in the 340 - 590 time frame), this works a lot better - saving what I've written is necessary. But I do add the picture links in at CFC, and then preview and edit in CFC. Although, occasionally I do some editing in Notepad as well, especially if I know when I write something that I'll want to improve the cadence/detail/etc. of something when I write it, but don't want to take the time to do it right away because of all the action that's happening in the game. Once I've pasted it into CFC, though, all the editing is in the CFC window - the preview post button helps a lot, as sometimes I can't really know how something will read without seeing the screenshots in it as well.

Formatting I generally do in Notepad. Occasionally I have to look up a smilie for reference, but otherwise two years of CFC has been enough to memorize most of the VBulletin code. Regular posts like this one I just write entirely in CFC.

The next update probably will be a statistical analysis of what's been happening the past several centuries. After I realized how much I'd been falling in rank, I, naturally liking statistics, decided to throw together a spreadsheet and see in more detail what the trend was. So that's partially completed at the moment. Not sure if I'll be doing any more on it tonight or not. I may also stitch together a huge world map. If not, I'll include a regular one.

In 660, I launch my fateful attack on Jungle Town. Victory will bring glory and a chance of victory; defeat will be disasterous.

:lol:

You certainly have a way with words :p

All kidding aside, still a fun read. Not often I read something where the writer is the one getting swamped. Hope you can pull this one out of the bag!

You got yourself a runaway AI there, maybe the bonuses you gave the talented were too powerful or the luck of the map got ya. If you can win this, you deserve a medal.

Top Bottom