MilarNES: Birth of A Civilization

Mainly I just mean that rules are a means to an end. Sometimes they need to be in concrete, sometimes not.

EDIT - Basically there is no 'perfect' ruleset

I'm not saying the tech tree needed to be changed. It was a good guideline, but world's technological progression didn't always go as per european history, thus there should have been room for a bending of these guidelines. My Idyll, for instance. I was wanting to make it to where Idyll was a aztec-like civilization that wouldn't reach bronze or iron (unless cultural diffusion with other civilizations promoted this sort of bull mess), but would still have some technologies that bronze or iron age technology civilizations of other cultures.

The rules said no, but since the rules are simply guidelines to make a NES seem more realistic, they should have been bendable in light of what happened in OTL. It really should have been considered on a case by case basis, and since I was simply hindering myself by not researching bronze or iron, it shouldn't have been a big problem, imo... But you're the mod, lol. And since the rules were concrete it fealt as if this was simply a board game where the moderator arbitrarilly picks the winners of battles, based on his own judgement.

Since there is no perfect ruleset, all rulesets (since we are not programmed machines that simply cannot compute a bend in the operation system) must be bendable imo. Once again, they are guidelines from which realism can be simulated... Rules can never be mistaken as the NESes "reality". Otherwise it turns into a board game.

I echo others people.

Continue this NES!

Fresh starts are always going to struggle until nations meet.

I have plans, but nothing really matters until I have all of India in my grasp.

As I said many updates ago, all we can do is expand for many updates, so its not very interesting.

OK, due to popular acclaim (which I am both grateful and shocked for), I will continue this NES. Anyway, I would like you guys to make suggestions so that rules are easier to understand and to follow. I'll pull the penalties' part.
@Amon: please, send the orders soon or you will be kicked out and Idyll will become an NPC.
@Adrogans: you can join the game if you want. I'd advise you to take the Nootka, as they are the only NPC nation at this moment. If you prefer something smaller, you can play a mercenary company in Asia (and soon somewhere else).
@Crezth: if you are reading this, I hope to see your orders soon.
@Everyone: keep sending ideas for wonders and wonders' effects. I've run out of ideas.
@Lurkers: the same as Adrogans.

I think you should add more NPCs. As for now contact between players is mostly paceful, you should add them to spice up things. I think you could have done this before, but you can still do it now.

I would just keep things as they are, people ARE going to forced into wars soon enough.

5 or 6 updates an i imagine a very cool world war will break out.

Having just joined, I had to read over all the rules and I have to say: It would be difficult to find a simpler rules set... I think they are very clearcut and understandable. The only changes that I would approve of, are balancing changes, like you did with the hanging gardens.

I think Australia could do with a nation.

Africa

The east African nation of Brundagana keep on with their expansion attempts, bent on becoming one of the most powerful nations of the world as they develop their corner of the world. The Impi regiments use their ingrained speed in order to connect all the small colonies created thanks to the efforts of the navy, which also manages to reach a more northern point, in a cape that keeps watch of both the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, being a very important place from the strategic point of view. It's also a time of development, as the engineers in Adragana create a new method to build stronger buildings that might be able to stand small earthquakes. The army, using the slings as a basis, develops a new weapon that can be used to shoot lances like a sling can be used to shoot stones. (Lance-Propeller, Masonry (+2 EC), expansion, +3% Tribal Gods)

In the north of Africa, many nations have placed territories. Damietta, one of them, expands even further in there, using their best ships and soldiers to conquer many lands for their gods. Their Libyan colony expands, nearly reaching the mainland in their haste, while an upriver expedition takes several settlers to the source of their river, the Nile, where they settle down in a small town named Denu, after their word for home. The Damiettan hold on the Arabian peninsula is even stronger as they take over several coastal zones that might become quite important in a possible struggle with the nearby Babylonian Empire, with which they still trade, learning the secrets of parchment-making, which they hope to use to store documents in better state. Perhaps one of these parchments will tell future people about the Colossus, which is still being built in the port of Damietta. (Parchment (+2 EC), enters Iron Age, Colossus wonder worked on, expansion, +3% Saharan Pantheon Gods, +2% Babylonian Paganism)

In the north of Africa, the Guanche nation expands further towards the south, which they do to make sure they have more lands from where soldiers may be drafted and to fall back to in the hypothetical situation of their entering a war. Meanwhile, the governors in the Spanish colonies are worried about the war between the Gauls and the Milanese, which threatens to spread into Guanche territory if something isn't done to prevent it, but so far no problems have stemmed from the war, apart from a few people that have decided to run towards the south in order to escape the war that is getting nearer to their homes as time goes on. The Spanish territories also receive with happiness the construction of a series of artificial rivers that will expand the irrigable land, and thus provide more food for the people. Also, the mysterious people of the East bring many new things, among them a new material that can be used to make stronger weapons and tools. (Bronze-Working, Calendar, Pottery (+4 EC), expansion, Proyecto Acequia Lvl 2 finished (+3 EC), +3% Achamán Worship, +2% Ancestor and Personality Cult, +1% Animism, open trade with Rome and Babylon)

Asia

As their influence in the world expands, the Babylonian Empire continues to bring their civilization to those who don't know about it. The Arabian peninsula slowly falls into the borders of the Empire, but the most surprising move is the one where the soldiers and the navy manage to take control of many islands in the Indian Ocean, several of them off the Indian coast, reaching them before the Singodians manage to take them. Their instruction of parchment to several of their trading partners bring much money to the nation, which experiments a resurgence of culture as the Babylonian language is simplified as it now uses combination of “letters”, each of which represents a sound. The Persian Gulf coast sees many harbours and warehouses built, provoking an economy boost never seen in the history of the Empire. Also, the confluence of many foreigners in the Empire – among them people coming from the cold Russian north – coming from all the corners of the world impulses the creation of an agency that will train people to blend better in other countries and discover state secrets for the nation. (Alphabet (Bonus +5 Tech EC), Merchant Wharves project started and finished (+8 EC), Babylonian Intelligence Agency started and finished (all spies start at level 3, allows raising 2 levels per turn), expansion, +3% Babylonian Paganism, +2% Hellenic Polyteism, +2% Saharan Pantheon Gods, +1% Fertility Cult, can talk with Idyll now, open trade with Guanche)

The Koopa-Shanjuó War keeps going on. An offensive launched by the Koopa Kingdom against the inner holdings of Shanjuó has much success, but at a big cost due to the Guerrillas of Shanjuó attacking the Warriors as they advance, while the coast falls to the navy as it travels south to conquer as many unclaimed lands as possible. The losses in the war become so large that a scribe of the army, fed up with writing long words, invents several special symbols that represent quantities in an abstract way, which upon expanding into the other soldiers and the sages, which now find ways to create things like other weapons. A warrior regiment, taken to an island found much into the south, lands and provides protection for some settlers from the natives, which attempt to expel the newcomers but without success. One of the galley fleets and its crewmen also manage to reach other part of the continent, further into the north than the Korean peninsula. (Koopa Kingdom: -3 Warriors, +12 Treasury, expansion, +2% Playerism, +5% Survivalism; Shanjuó: -2 Guerilla Fighters, -12 Treasury, -2 EC from invasion, +50% Survivalism, +1% Playerism)

Making a great build-up of forces in their lands, with the Mounted Happy Whistling Clubmen becoming the most prominent of the group, the nation of Singodia finally conquers all of India, as the barbarians aren't able to drive the tiger-mounted soldiers back while they shatter their forces and provoke a massacre that only ends when the barbarians surrender. The cavalry is also used to expand the outer provinces, which now manage to be joined between themselves and to the mainland thanks to the rapid conquest of territories. This has brought out a revival of the Cult of Fertility, as people are glad to be able to live in such fertile lands. (Expansion, +5% Fertility Cult)

Europe

The war with Milan has brought out much changes to the nation. The tribes that form the Gaulic Federation have recruited heavily to form many Kriehgeiter Bands and send them towards the south. This war has also prevented the army from attacking the Teutonic tribes to the east, but the change in policy – using gold to bribe the chiefs – is much more successful than former military attacks, and the Teuton tribes bring a good lot of soldiers into the war with Milan. The entrance of the Teutonic tribes in the Federation also prompts further work in the Kirti's Legacy quarters, as they are now needed to further the cooperation between the tribes. (Kirti's Legacy worked on, +3 Warriors, +2 Slingers, expansion, +6% Ancestor and Personality Cult, -1% Animism)

Brought into final desperation by the lack of action of the higher echelons of the army, the soldiers of Idyll revolt against their commanders and kill them, with the general population joining them in a rebellion that puts one of the ring leaders into power, although he hopes to be able to bring change to his country, specially now that they have met some people in their southern borders. (Idyll goes NPC, money is banked, -4% Militarism)

Not much happens in the Kingdom of Hellenium, as the nation falls into a lull occasioned by unknown circumstances. The army manages to take control of some new lands to the north of the country, although it's not enough to prevent the Romans from landing more settlers in the Balkans. (Expansion, money banked, +1% Hellenic Polytheism, +2% Roman Paganism, +2% Babylonian Paganism)

The Kingdom of Rome has managed to expand into two very unlikely territories that had not been among the long term plans of the kingdom: into North Africa and the Balkans. The army and many thousands of settlers arrive into the two zones, aided by the recently expanded Navy, which has become fundamental to the nation as they become the main link between the mainland, the Balkans and Africa and bring people and supplies to those parts, with internal trade providing much income, so much that the government establishes a new trade system, based on the use of small pieces of gold, silver and bronze as a system to measure prices, which has been a welcome measure for the merchants as it helps to fix their earnings and allows the people to carry their property around easier than before. (Currency, Parchment (+4 EC), Mercenaries allowed in Europe, expansion, +3% Roman Paganism, +1% Hellenic Polytheism, +1% Animism, open trade with Guanche)

In the north of the Italian Peninsula, the United Tribes of Milan has also been changed because of the war. However, their concentration into it doesn't seem to be as great as the one the Gauls have into it, as the king spends much money into his own plans to take control of the country. However, this doesn't mean that the Milanese don't want to win their war: they have managed to develop a new metal that can be used to make better and stronger weapons and armours, which they put to use to arm several new soldiers with weapons that can cut through leather and bronze with easiness, although they are slightly slower than bronze-armoured soldiers. (Iron Melting, expansion, +3% Animism, +1% Ancestor and Personality Cult)

North America

In North America, in the Eastern Coast, the Britannian Republic provides further advance in the zone for its people and its workers as they start up several projects that will be very important in the future: the construction of a series of granaries to store foodstuffs in case of a long drought and the union of the many cities of the Republic through paved roads will surely stimulate inland trade and will provide for a better economy that will help to improve the way of life. The ports in the cities of Ashin and Hanmat are finally finished, providing fishers and traders with new places to dock in. Also, while the priestesses of the Oracle of Mai start to develop a system with which they will be able to store information in pieces of wood, the engineers of the capital of Pendragon have started up the construction of a giant garden in the outskirts of the city, which they hope can be used as an example of engineering to the future generations. (Writing (2/10), Port's Mouth project finished (+2 EC), Hanging Gardens wonder started (+3 Project EC/turn for each river in your nation, +2 Culture/turn, cost 30 EC), Granaries (+2 EC, cost 8 EC) and Paved Roads (+2 EC, cost 8 EC) projects started, expansion, +4% Shara)

In the Western Coast, the relations between the two great nations living there ease up as trade becomes more important. The Nootka, for example, are expanding much towards everywhere save for the south, as they believe that their advances will put them in advantage over their southern neighbours. They have already taken over great parts of the cold, northern peninsula they settled in several years ago, and the army is adamant into taking over as many lands in the east as possible before the Seri take them instead. Meanwhile, in the capital, several builders discover that a mixture of several mineral products in a certain proportion can make buildings far more resistant. Also, the High Priests and Priestesses of the Sun and the Moon have decided to organise the priesthood into groups so that the word of their gods can be spread out easier than before. (Masonry, Priesthood (+2 EC), enters Iron Age, expansion, +4% Sun and Moon Worship, +1% Spiritualism)

Meanwhile, the Seri Army develops its weapons using knowledge acquired in the past to make up better soldiers that will surely help the nation to survive should any enemy decide to attack them and try to take over their nation: the warriors finally set aside their wooden clubs and substitute them for metallic axes that can cut through any enemy in front of them, while the slingers learn to use a more deadly weapon called lance-propeller that can kill a man at a distance of more than a hundred metres. They are used to help with the expansion of the land controlled by the nation, encountering on their way several friendly natives that teach the soldiers the secrets of how to take care of animals and of how to plant seeds and make the plants grow and give many fruits for the feeding of the people. (Agriculture, Animal Husbandry (+2 EC), expansion, +2% Spiritualism, +2% Sun and Moon Worship)

Oceania

Following a new way after the final conquest of the island of Loidense, the Sarawak have decided to look inside of themselves, as they realise that they need to further their own selves before being able to further their propose for the other civilizations of the world. To that end, the priests of the God-Emperor have decided, upon the advice of the God-Emperor, to create a better writing system that can simplify it and make it more accessible to the normal people, which they manage as they realise that each sound they use in their language could be represented by one special symbol that will only be used for it. Attempts to improve the weapons used by the Army start, while several people from the capital travel to some uninhabited islands in which they will be able to develop cities that might play an important role in the future. (Alphabet (Bonus +5 Tech EC), Archery (4/12), expansion, +4% Worship of the God-Emperor)

South America

In South America, the two nations have started a silent fight for the control of the continent. The Chibchan have dealt several blows to the moral of the Incans, as they have been able to demonstrate the superiority of their sages when they teach the Incan sages several ideas the latter had never thought about, bringing much shame to them upon their return to Cuzco. Also, the Priest-President has had a vision of their gods, who have demanded of him that he brings order to the disorganized priesthood of the Aztec, which he does easily, and the reforms created by the Priest-President bring much joy to the followers of the religion and much more people into the folds of the Church of the Aztec Gods. To better control the influx of people into the temples, the priests have ordered the construction of a gigantic marble temple that will be able to hold several hundreds of people in the most important religious ceremonies. (Priesthood (Bonus +30% State Religion), enters Iron Age, Parthenon wonder started (+10 Culture Points, +2 Culture/turn, expansion, +3 Tech EC/turn, cost 45 EC) expansion, +3% Aztec Gods, +1% Inti)

However, if the Chibchan have managed to blow the Inca Empire's moral, they have managed to give them an even worse hit as several people in the border Chibchan provinces, seduced by the Incan culture, have revolted and joined the Inca Empire happily, with parties going on for days in the zone. The army also celebrates, as the two projects they had so much interest in, the Stables and the Proving Grounds, have been finished, providing a very needed boost to the expansion efforts into the southern mountains and the western jungles. It's in this place where they discover that a tree's wood, if crushed and mixed with water, can be used to make a special paste that, when hardened, can be written on, although so far they haven't managed to find a sure way to make this paste with easiness and how to process it so that writing on it can be easily done. (Fishing, Lance-Propeller, Masonry (+4 EC), Parchment (9.5/15), culture-flips Chibchan Empire, expansion, +3% Inti, +3% Aztec Gods)

Mercenaries

In the city of Babylon, in the Babylonian Empire, the long-time rumoured mercenary group known as the Anabasis have finally surged. Coming from the eastern steppe of Persia, these soldiers have trained for a lot of time before deciding to settle down and sell their services to the biggest payer. So far, no big offer has reached them in their headquarters, although they will do several small works that provide them with a tidy sum of money they earn thoroughly. The great benefits they have earned have launched them into a new business consisting of giving people money when they need it in exchange of returning it back with a low interest after said people's economical necessities have finished. (Loan Venture started (+2 EC, cost 10 EC)

SPECIAL INTEREST NEWS

The Pyrenees War

What had started at a mere misunderstanding between the border guards in Iberia has soon turned into a bloodbath that permeates Western Europe. The Milanese attacked first, launching an offensive that attempted to cut through the Gaulic Federation as they tried to reach its heartland in Paris. However, the Milanese Army would find itself with a great group of Kriehgeiter Bands as they run towards the south in order to do something similar. As the two sides were caught by surprise in this offensive, the losses in both armies were enormous, and, although the Milanese achieved to take much land in southern Gaul, the Kriehgeiter had managed to keep their enemies at a long distance of the capital.

Things in the original theater of war, Iberia, would soon turn worse for the Milanese, as they would have never thought that the Gauls would deploy half of their army in there, managing to conquer all the Milanese holdings in the Iberian Peninsula without much losses between the Kriehgeiter Bands sent there. Only winter would stop them from trying to cross the Pyrenées and into the heartland of Milan, while several of the survivors of the Gaulish attack hid in order to give the Army time to expel the foreigners from their lands. (Gaulic Federation: -4 Kriehgeiter Bands, -1 Warrior, -4 EC from occupation; United Tribes of Milan: -2 Warriors, -2 Swordsmen, -1 Elite Milanese Warrior, +4 Iberian Guerrillas, -5 EC from occupation)

MAP:
Spoiler :

FINIS (for now)

Stats will come tomorrow in the morning (Spanish time, of course)

@Immaculate & DarthNader: both of you tried to develop a technology you couldn't have because you didn't have the requirement of 2/3 of the current age. I've banked your gold so that you use it next turn.
@Amon Savag: I held it up because I thought you wanted to play. Now you have lost the chance.
@Abaddon: Tomorrow you'll see why I said your instructions were vague. Don't worry, there is no punishment, just so that you see why I asked for more concrete instructions.
@Everyone else: I'm going to ask for 2 things: 1: Give me some ideas for the wonders (yes, I know, I am repeating myself, but I'm running out of time and out of ideas); 2: after you send your orders, post a message in the thread to make sure I have received them.

NEXT UPDATE WILL BE NEXT THURSDAY 23RD APRIL AT 7 PM GMT+1 (1 PM EST). HOPE TO SEE THEM SOONER THAN NORMAL.

@Immaculate & DarthNader: both of you tried to develop a technology you couldn't have because you didn't have the requirement of 2/3 of the current age. I've banked your gold so that you use it next turn.

I thought it was 1/2 of the techs, not 2/3.

I don't really understand this "two phase" thing..

OK, stats have been updated and the map is on the update. I have also added the first European Mercenary Company:
Sabine Brothers
Headquarters: Rome, Kingdom of Rome
Other Bases: None
Income: 3 EC
Treasury: 0 EC
Investments:
Land Units: 1 Warrior, 3 Axemen (5)
Navy Units: 1 Galley (5)
Special Unit:
Background: Descendants from an ancient tribe that was once rival of the Roman tribe and absorbed in the Kingdom of Rome after it was formed, the Sabinian Brothers have decided to band in a group that will work as soldiers for anyone that pays them well.

@Charles: I didn't mention your Total War project because I didn't understand what it was supposed to do.
@Abaddon: Just an attempt to make you guys send orders sooner.

OOC: It was supposed to stimulate total war: If my dudes think taht war is declared on me (and I can manupulate that :mischief:) then they will sign up, and I will only need to pay weaponmakers, so it lowers the cost of military units.

I am not sure of the discount, so I will say this: Take my income and think of an effect that will get me what I want without taking up all the funds, because I don;t have a list of the cost of various project effects.

Damietta / Cynovolans
Guanche / The Loser
Babylonian Empire / Immaculate
Gaulic Confederation / Charles Li
Idyll / NPC
Kingdom of Hellenium / Dreadnought
Kingdom of Rome / erez87
United Tribes of Milan / Flavius Aetius

From Abalonia!

Yo, Trade?

I have no idea what you mean.. NPC response? ;)

Top Bottom