[BtS] Wolfshanze's Revolution

That's kind of difficult to explain... I'm in the middle of updating, but it'll probably still take an hour or so to get the next build up, and once I"m done with that, I'll have a patch with this fix for the 0.5 beta. If you really want to fix it now though, this is how:

-Extract, and Rename the button file that achilleszero has posted above. I'd suggest Armored_Car_Fixed just to stay consistent.
-Put the renamed (and extracted) file in the .../art/interface/buttons/units folder.
-Open up the Art defines Unit file (found in .../assets/XML/Art) using notepad or some basic text editor.
-Select the Edit heading in notepad and go to find.
-In the find box type in ARMORED_SCOUT
-That'll take you to this block:
Code:
		<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_ARMORED_SCOUT</Type>
			<Button>Art\Interface\Buttons\Units\[B]Armored_Car[/B].dds</Button>
			<fScale>0.42</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.9</fInterfaceScale>
			<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
			<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
			<NIF>Art/Units/Armored Scout/BA_64B.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/Armored Scout/BA_64B.kfm</KFM>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Armored Scout/BA_64B.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/TankShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<iDamageStates>4</iDamageStates>
			<TrailDefinition>
				<Texture>Art/Shared/tanktread.dds</Texture>
				<fWidth>0.8</fWidth>
				<fLength>180.0</fLength>
				<fTaper>0.0</fTaper>
				<fFadeStartTime>0.2</fFadeStartTime>
				<fFadeFalloff>0.35</fFadeFalloff>
			</TrailDefinition>
			<fBattleDistance>0.5</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.12</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bActAsRanged>1</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop>LOOPSTEP_TANK</AudioRunTypeLoop>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd>ENDSTEP_TANK</AudioRunTypeEnd>
			</AudioRunSounds>
			<SelectionSound>AS3D_UN_TANK_FORT</SelectionSound>
			<ActionSound>AS3D_UN_TANK_FORT</ActionSound>
		</UnitArtInfo>
What I have bolded, rename to what you named the button.

BTW the reason you can't find what you are looking for is because it's packed in the wolfshanze.fpk, which is also the reason you can't just use the same name for the button, as it'll use the .fpk file, which isn't the proper size, so you need to rename the button, and edit the art defines file for that reason.

I like Deon's.

Me too.

Also, Phungus, I've been noticing that barbarians only seem to get warriors and nothing else. I play with extremely active barbarians so the effect is noticeable, and I've practically eliminated any restrictions that barbs have on building units, so that shouldn't be the problem. Have you made any changes to barbs?

I've noticed that too, I'm nearly certain it's a RevDCM change. Almost all barbs have been warriors since 1.3.x or since I merged in RevDCM 1.0x. Though on Emperor I see archer barbs (I think this is because AI starts with archery on Emperor since 1.3.2). Basically, this is one you'll need to take up with glider if you want to go back to how things were, messing with the barb code in the gamecore is beyond me, I don't even know where to start.

Hi Phungus,

I've enjoyed playing with glider's patched tile bombing dll... in the process I've been building large flotillas of carriers...

I noticed that several units behave differently than they do in RevDCM. For instance sufficient mass of Jet Fighters can completely bomb out a unit in a city; the behavior is similar to missles in basic BTS and RevDCM. WolfRev bombing dynamics certainly seem realistic enough; however, it is a behavior change from RevDCM. I'm curious whether that is by design, or a bug...

I'm attaching a save game to illustrate...

Thoughts?
\gg

Attachments

• AirPowerLab_WolfRev.CivBeyondSwordSave
    40.4 KB · Views: 76
In WolfRev Air Power is significantly stronger. IMHO unbalancingly so, these numbers have been nerfed in BST.

Speaking of BST, I get a CTD when trying to play a fresh install 0.5.0??? This is odd in the first place, but even odder since no one has reported this (The CTD happens when initializing the XML). Needless to say this has delayed the release of the update and patch. I need to figure out what's going on, and I was originally planning on releasing a patch for those playing 0.5.0 to fix the button size bug, but I can't test the patch, since I can't get 0.5.0 to start up... I may just abandon support for 0.5.0 and move directly to 0.6.0. Anyway if you experience anything going wrong with WolfRev or BST, please let me know. I'm deeply troubled by the fact BST 0.5.0 has been up for a week and I can't even start the game with it...

I'm an idiot I had left the patching files in the MyDocuments/mods folder (where I compile the install patching script from) which was conflicting with BST at start up, causing the crash... This delayed the release of the Patch considerable. Sorry for the delay, this patch fixes the critical art bug discovered by Dimoncheg, and should be entirely stable. That said please report any bugs you encounter, specifically ones like the above that caused a CTD. Here is a link to the patch:

Bronze Steam and Tears Patch

0.5.1 BST patch released 21April09
Patches Bronze Steam & Tears 0.5.0 to version 0.5.1

BST beta: 0.5.1
-fixed button crash from armored scout (was 64x65 pixels, when it needs to be 64x64)
-New gamecore with GG's tile bomb bug fix, and Examine City on Conquest return city bug fix
-Fixed Typo/Bug in PromotionsInfos, making collateral damage a req for Drill3 & 4

Also BST 0.6.0 will be out shortly, just need to get the installer working right, messing around with a new script here. 0.6.0 will not be 0.5.x save game compatible, and will be very similar, mostly just Ethnic art and other aesthetic changes, a couple minor balance tweaks. I would reccomend just patching to 0.5.1 and finishing any 0.5 games you have going. Who knows by the time you finish any 0.5 games you're in the middle of 0.7 might be out.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it, and thanks for bringing this to my attention.

BTW, how were the Olnyechna (or however you spell it) as a Unique Unit?

I've installed the wolf revolution mod, which sounds awesome. I can boot it up, pick my character, set up a game and everything. But when it comes to int graphics while loading a new game it crashes out, the music hangs around for a few seconds and i'm returned to the desktop, any idea what i've done wrong? Thanks.

Are you trying to play a pre made map, or are you starting a game from the custom game start up?
WolfRevolution has a 50 Civ dll, so it's not likely to be compatible with many pre made maps (in fact I never found one, which is why I moved to the 34 civ dll with BST).

Edit: The most likely cause of your crash is a not having BtS updated to 3.17. The autoupdater for Civ is borked often times so if you've tried to update using it, it has most likely failed to patch BtS to 3.17. Easy enough to fix, simply download and install the 3.17 patch for BtS found here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9800

That's really strange, this is the first report of a CTD from WolfRevolution in a while... And it's at the start of the game too, how odd. Well let me see, have you tried just trying a new start, with a new map script, maybe try out fractal? There also always a chance that the WolfRevolution installer got corrupted when it was downloading through the internet tubes, it's unlikely but possible, it wol't hurt to redownload and reinstalling.

It would help to isolate the issue to the specific mod, so try downloading and using RevolutionDCM and if that works fine, the Wolfshanze mod. If Revolution DCM breaks, try the BUG mod itself, if you can't play the BUG mod on it's own then there is something really strange going on... Anyway, first try Revolution DCM if that works, try the Wolfshanze mod. If both of these mods work fine then to try to isolate the problem the best thing to do would be to enable error logging. Open up your main Civilization ini file found in the main Beyond the Sword folder, and turn on the python exception and crash dump options. Then next time your game crashes, to to the crash dump log (there is a shortcut to it in the main BtS folder) and compress your crash dump log and upload it here. Also just report back here with a crash log if you get the same crash with Wolfshanze but not RevDCM as Wolf has disapeared. If you do crash with RevDCM though, it's best to move the crash report to the RevDCM thread, and also you'll need to try out BUG to see if the cause of your crash originates from there and not Revolutions.

Last edited:
I really wanted to give my compliments to the chefs that cooked up Bronze Steam and Tears. I really liked the versions I had played before, but I really like this one more

Bronze Steam and Tears 0.6.0 (beta) released

Bronze Steam and Tears 0.6.x is not 0.5.x save game compatible. Finish your 0.5.x games before updating. Also take note 0.5.0 has a critical art bug, please patch to 0.5.1 in order to finish your 0.5.1 games (patch found in OP with other download links).

BST beta: 0.6.0 released 21 April 09
-Added icon for setup and BST launch
-Added new ethnic art
-Fixed animation issues with Paradropping units (special forces and SAS)
-Tweak to Promotions: Guerrilla and Woodsman promotions now gain 20/30/40 attack and defense in thier respective terrains.
-Tweak to Units, mostly involving pathfinder and variants
-Minor tweak to enlightened trait, recieves +15% science bonus -other commerce type % bonuses removed
-Madrassa moved to University
-Gave Serfdom a purpose, now builds military with food, however -1 health and increased City Distance Rev penalty

Last edited:
Hi Phungus,

A couple questions, does your mod have the Randomized Detection added and/or Dale's Combat Mod?

I don't know what Randomized detection is. Bronze Steam and Tears both use RevolutionDCM as the core of the mod, so DCM is included.

whoa that was fast, I just figured out the DCM of RevDCM and was going to edit my question :D

Randomized detection is a really cool detection system that allows subs to stay hidden some of the time (not 100% detection). It's made by NP300.

Here is the link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=277940

Also, does WolfRev include everything that is present in the BST pack or are there unique attributes to one or the other?

danke

Last edited:
As far as the detection mod, I wol't be adding it. I don't really like the concept as far as gameplay.

For WolfRev and BST, BST removes the rediculously high poly count units from WolfRev, making it far more friendly to mid range and low end systems. That's the biggest change, also BST has unit progression and tech tweaks that flush out and perfect Wolfshanze's system. BST also adds in Legend Units (think of these as wonders for warmongers, strong units that can only be built once). That's the difference between BST and WolfRev. I recommend BST myself.

BTW, how were the Olnyechna (or however you spell it) as a Unique Unit?

You mean Opolchenye? It's not enough correct name for this unit, I think, because this word means militia, citizens drafted by their own will to defend the country, and the term was mainly in use till the end of the Napoleonic Wars. The unit looks like WWII infantry, but in that period even not enough trained soldiers were in service in regular Red Army, except the partisans in some cases. So I suggest this unit could be renamed in something like "Red Army Conscripts." I use this unit only for deep cities protection, on the borders I prefer marines, paratroopers and Mech Inf.

The WWII era infantry look was intentional. The call to arms in WWI & II completely dwarfed anything else in history. Plus with the massive amount of extra amount of units you wind up with, having them as rifleman might be overpowered. As it is, you wind up with 20 - 30% percent more squad infantry which then become motorized and then mechanized.

If drafting in civIV was better I would have preferred russia to have its normal infantry and then really cheap conscripts.

As far as the name goes, I was just going by what I researched in wikipedia. I know they have a tendency for misinformation but they listed WWII as a time of Narodnoe Opolcheniye build up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narodnoe_Opolcheniye

Top Bottom