Is Fox News fair and balanced?

• YES: Fox news is fair and balanced

Votes: 41 14.4%
  • NO: Fox news is NOT fair and balanced:

Votes: 232 81.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
Is any news station "fair and balanced"?

Yes. In fact, it wasn't all that long ago that all of them were reasonably fair and balanced in their reporting. And you can personally thank Rupert Mordoch for forever changing that particular aspect of American life...

I'ld hardly call 45,000 people a handful, but this is off topic.

45,000? Are you sure we are talking about the same Australia?

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Gates_heads_to_Australia_for_stock__02212008.html

The Pentagon is in the midst of an internal debate over how quickly to reduce the US military presence in Iraq.

General David Petraeus, the US commander, has cautioned against drawing down the 155,000-strong US force below 15 combat brigades, or about 130,000 to 140,000 troops, in the latter half of this year.

Gates' three day visit to Australia comes just days after its government, a steadfast US ally, announced it will pull out a third of its 1,500 troops in Iraq at mid-year as part of a broader shift in its military posture.

Australia's Prime Minister Rudd campaigned on a promise to bring Australian troops home from Iraq, but US defense officials said he has consulted closely with the Americans before announcing the plans to pull 500 troops from southern Iraq.

In both Iraq and Afghanistan, where about 1,000 Australian troops are currently deployed as part of a NATO-led force, Australia is looking at a change in focus from combat to what they see as a "whole government approach" to those conflicts.

That would involve contributing more trainers, participating in provincial reconstruction teams and helping the government become more effective in delivering services.

Nearly 700 Australian troops in Afghanistan, including 390 special forces troops, are in the south where the NATO-led force has faced a tough challenge from rising insurgent violence.

You mean besides the major networks, McNeil Lehrer, and BBC, just to name a few available in the US, never mind stations like Al Jazeera and most of the other international news sources?

In fact, if you exclude all the talking head commentary, all of the cable 24/7 sources do a reasonable job of being fair and balanced other than Fox...

Sorry. It's one of my hot buttons. Almost all the Fox News apologists try to claim that every other news organization is just as biased....

:rolleyes: I mean now.

I've got 3 letters for you that will change your life: N. P. R.

It's awesome, they have people with different viewpoints who actually talk about the issues. No yelling! None! And the reporting is done in that classic style that would bore to death anyone who was used to the chaos of the TV craziness.

EDIT: Okay, I didn't realize the full intent of your post when I responded. But even still, I highly recommend NPR. :)

You mean besides the major networks, McNeil Lehrer, and BBC, just to name a few available in the US, never mind stations like Al Jazeera and most of the other international news sources?

In fact, if you exclude all the talking head commentary, all of the cable 24/7 sources do a reasonable job of being fair and balanced other than Fox...

How the hell is Al Jazeera 'fair and balanced'? Are you high?

No station is fair and balanced, however, Fox seems to be less fair and balanced then others.

to the average Fox News watcher, NPR makes them go crazy, I got a guy in my class (a diehard Republican) to listen to it and he said it was was the most slanderous hate filled program that ever existed and said we should shoot them all...

to the average Fox News watcher, NPR makes them go crazy, I got a guy in my class (a diehard Republican) to listen to it and he said it was was the most slanderous hate filled program that ever existed and said we should shoot them all...
Did he actually give any specific reasons for this point of view?

Al-Jazeera isn't unbiased. They're clearly antiUS. One thing they did of note is this. They got a hold of the video of Osama admitting to the Sept. 11th attacks. They wouldn't air it because they said it wasn't newsworthy. CNN got a hold of the same video and said it was very newsworthy and aired it.

Al-Jazeera isn't unbiased. They're clearly antiUS.

They aren't any more "anti-US" than I am. I suggest you take a good hard look at the First Amendment to the Constitution again. Presenting a news story from a foreign perspective doesn't make you "anti-US". If anything, it makes you pro-US for being able to provide a different perspective without fear of governmental reprisal or censorship.

There are 3 video examples above. Two of them are fairly controversial from a typical American's perspective. Point out anything biased in any of the reporting. Or find your own video...

I'll take al-Jazeera over Fox

journalism - reporting the facts
biased journalism - reporting the facts but the questions are ideologically slanted
propaganda - fox"news", flat out lies, distortions, half truths, and no shame.

Not too many deserve the title of journalist, most are plagued with bias. But Fox is just Republican propaganda with fascistic overtones (when the GOP is in power, now they're revolutionaries fighting for our freedom :lol: )

Was he supplying all the rage he couldn't find on the program himself? What is wrong with reporters giving you information in a concise, clear tone of voice?

I'm obviously asking the wrong person, I know, but your buddy can't just make a blind accusation of bias and expect it to stand. I hope you defended the good folks of NPR. :)

Top Bottom