Random Stories and Fragments

Re: Lugus, yeah, the destruction will not come soon, but I imagine his patience is not eternal either; eventually the sun sets. Partly this interpretation is colored by Varn's in-game belicosity.
I remember this one. wasn't it in the Age of Ice pedia? (don't remember for what) it was Pre fall bhall and Agares

Mulcarn's entry from the Age of Ice, yes.
Spoiler :

. .. .. .. .. .Twenty-one days before the rain of fire, the vision came to me. As I again laid my beloved to rest I began to see, not her cold body but the coldest reaches of Hell. Perched atop the mountain Mulyr, overlooking an eternal frozen wasteland, this throne was the highest point of Hell, in elevation though not in status. The throne was made of ice, and sat upon a smooth marble floor that ended precipitously at the mountain's edge. Surrounding the throne was an array of statues, or so it seemed as my vision began, statues of men and of giants, with here and there an elf present.
The King on this throne was the God of Ice. In my vision, his face was obscured, but his eyes I could make out, indeed, the blue light from them illuminated the mountain top. His body was sharp and angular, and he made a rumble like an avalanche when at last he stood. Looking to the floor, he breathed out a chill wind, and a thin sheet of ice then covered the marble. My gaze turned with his as scenes from my own world played out on that ice.
Peasants called upon Sucellus to put food on their tables. Kings and Warlords used the fires of Bhall to ward off sorcerers, and those sorcerers drew on the watery powers of Danalin to quench this fire. Every scene to which we looked we saw the peoples of my world cry out to the gods in joy or hope. But the name Mulcarn was whispered only in fear, and even then rarely; it was as a ward against him that offerings were made, warm hearts of deer placed in the snow to divert his attention from human homes in the cold months. His priests were few and their converts rare. I saw this and understood it, but the King of Ice seethed against it.
"Man, what foolishness do you call wisdom! Do you not know that without my rest, the world cannot awaken with such mad energy in the spring? Do you think truly that it is from scorn that I blanket the world in snow? I was there too, when your world was weaved, and my wisdom was heeded as well as the rest. But you have turned your hearts far from me, siding with my rivals or even my allies first. Not even fear will cause you to give me true worship, Oh Man? Or perhaps more fear is needed to show you your folly!"
One last scene played our before me, from what I took to be, not the realm of man, but another of hell. Empty and vast, with but the light of dusk. Two gods here I saw, and I felt from my divine Host a well of frustration and anger towards the one, the bright Lady. Bhall, ablaze, addressed Agares, whose image to me was ever changing, from a young boy to an old man, to a withered corpse.
"Cease your lies, Agares, for my patience with you wears thin."
"There are no lies in this place, only truth stripped bare. It is why so few deign to come here. It is not anger with which you speak to me, but uncertainty. But I say to you, is not this uncertainty itself proof of my offer? Are you allowed such freedom when you address your master?"
"I am given perfect freedom of action, within the bounds we have all agreed to."
. .. .. .. .. ."Freedom of action! What is this but illusion? I offer you freedom of purpose."
Bhall did not speak again, but appeared wavering, and then flew off quickly, disappearing from my view. Agares turned towards us, and I feared that I was discovered, but it was not to me he spoke. "It will happen, Mulcarn, she shall be mine. Be ready."
The icy Hell began to fade from me as my vision gave way to reality. The deep laughter of the Ice King echoed throughout his hall. He turned to the statues surrounding him, and I saw now that they were not sculptures of ice, but men who had in life served Mulcarn, and giants as well. "Prepare", he said to them, and they responded with a nod. My last sight of that realm was his army, marching down the mountainside.
. .. .. .. .. .Back at the side of my departed beloved, I recalled the vision. The word hung in my mind. "Prepare." I knew I must, for if the vision was of truth, which I doubted not, the Age of Magic was at an end.
. .. .. .. .. .--From the Words of the Father, passed down through the Amurites, generation to generation, until the end of time

I was thinking it was that, but didn't see any reference to the gems in that entry. I recall that there used to be a discussion between Sucellus and Agares in Nyx, but that entry seems to have disappeared. In fact, all references to the gems of creation seem to be gone.

I vaguely recall that too... I don't think it was official, I remember seeing a description of hell burried in a thread on the other side... closest that I can recall in game is the satyr entries, but that doesn't mention the gems.

I'm pretty sure it was official, but that may have been changed. The entry I'm thinking of was in the pedia a long time ago, possibly when I first discovered FfH in 0.16, way before the Beltane Cycle was added. Perhaps a Beltane cycle entry replaced it.

Edit:
Apart from the sheut stone entry (which I don't think has ever changed since it was added), this is the only reference to the gems of creation as of the last vanilla civ version. I guess the entry I'm thinking of was removed before that, but since I dropped my laptop and ruined my harddrive around the time Shadow came out I don't have any older version on my computer to check.

FfH II 0.23 pedia said:
In the beginning there was the One Creator. Such was his power that all he spoke and thought was Truth. When first he spoke, he made a place of glory and a throne from which he could sit and view all that was. This place he named Heaven and his throne was called Order. The One spoke of a blue orb that rested on the arm of his throne. This orb he named Temporance, and to it was given the power to control the flow of time.

The Time of Angels

It was now that the One began to speak of new creations. To each one he created, he gave a unique name and the twin gifts of life and free will. Each creation was created differently, but to the whole he gave the name Angels. These angels were divided into 21 precepts and a single angel was appointed to be the head of each precept.

Each Angel was made to serve the One and to serve the creations that would come after. For the first time other voices were heard as they began to sing and praise the One.

Lugus- Angel of Light (Sun)
Sirona- Angel of Wisdom (Spirit)
Bhall- Angel of Fire (Fire)
Nantosuelta- Angel of Faith (Enchantment)
Sucellus- Angel of Growth (Life)
Amathaon- Angel of Fertility (Creation)
Junil- Angel of Justice (Law)
Arawn- Angel of Death (Death)
Oghma- Angel of Knowledge (Metamagic)
Danalin- Angel of the Water (Water)
Dagda- Angel of Balance (Force)
Kilmorph- Angel of the Earth (Earth)
Cernunnos- Angel of Nature (Nature)
Tali- Angel of the Air (Air)
Camulos- Angel of Peace (Chaos)
Aeron- Angel of Strength (Body)
Ceridwen- Angel of the Stars (Dimensional)
Mammon- Angel of Foresight (Mind)
Esus- Angel of Trust (Shadow)
Mulcarn- Angel of Ice (Winter)
Agares- Angel of Hope (Entropy)

The Birth of Man

Heaven was full of many wonders which the angels spent centuries studying and praising. When the One felt them ready, he commanded them to take flight outside the boundaries, and to fill the vacuum with creations that mirror those of Heaven. To them he gave the power of creation. So did the countless angels set off in every direction, creating as it pleased them to create a host of worlds true and good that would serve the One.

When the creation was done there was a countless array of worlds and a nearly endless variety of life upon them. All of it served the One. Seeing this work as good, the One took back the power of creation from the angels.

The Fall of Agares

Unknown to the other angels, and some say even to the One himself, Agares was not willing to lose the power of creation. Knowing he could not hope to keep the power and that he would be left only with the power to manipulate what was already existing, he hatched a plan. Using the power of creation, while he had it, he created infinite plains of raw elements, air, earth, fire, water, life and death. At the center of these infinite reaches, he placed gems of each of these elements which he had secreted out of heaven itself. When the power of creation was lost to him, he still had enough matter and energy that he could go on creating until the end of time.

Once the power of creation was taken from him, Agares continued creating with his infinite planes of elements. He spun entire worlds not in the fashion of heaven but as he desired. The peoples of these worlds were not told of other angels or the One, and Agares commanded they worship him alone.

The other angels took notice of this. Agares claimed that it was cruel to take the power of creation away from them, and that the One was jealous that their creations had outshone heaven itself. Six angels sided with Agares as they were eager to regain the power of creation, and he showed them his infinite plains and how to use them to create. These angels were Camulos, Aeron, Ceridwen, Mammon, Esus and Mulcarn.

It was then that the One intervened. Seeing Agares's blasphemy he sought to remove it from all of creation, but by this point Agares's taint had spread through creation; nothing existed that would still exist if he removed the evil from it. So pervasive was Agares's corruption, that if the One entered creation, it would be destroyed by his holiness. Unwilling to destroy creation, the One condemned all the Angels out of Heaven, to live among creation until the day he returns to separate the good from the evil. The One tasked the angels still loyal to him with protecting creation and guiding it toward enlightenment until the day he returned.

Those angels that followed Agares opposed the One's decree and took up arms against the angels loyal to him. From this point on the angels that fell were known as evil by men, those that opposed them and were charged with protecting mankind were known as good and the 7 tasked with maintaining the functions of creations besides man were known as the angels of neutrality.

After throwing all of the angels from Heaven the One sundered the path between Heaven and Creation so that none but he could pass between them.

The First Age--The Age of Dragons

Those days following the fall of the angels were hard upon mortals. The wars between the angels were fought across the faces of the worlds while men and other races huddled in caves, fearful of the power being unleashed around them. It was during these days that the dragons were born, mighty creatures empowered by the angels to fight in their battles alongside them.

Seeing the devastation they were wrecking on the lands, and that they would have nothing to show but bloody battlefields when the One returned Dagda commanded the fighting to stop. With the aid of Arawn, Kilmorph and Oghma he threatened to fight against whoever acted aggressively in the conflict. Dagda had enough angels that agreed with him that the others knew it was pointless to fight him. They agreed that certain restrictions should be placed on the conflict if the lives they created were to survive through it at all. As a symbol of this alliance a weapon of great power was made, the Godslayer, a weapon with the power to slay an angel, and the weapon was given over to the most powerful of human men, a warrior named Finner. This was a power that none of the angels had on their own.

The days of the Age of Dragons were days of huge supernatural battles, powerful storms, earthquakes and volcanoes. Its heroes were brave men without the benefit or magic or knowledge, who were little more than savages trying to survive in a world they didn’t understand and where death came even to the strong and swift.

The Second Age--The Age of Magic

The war still continued, but more subtly than before. With the war not directly on the worlds, men and other intelligent races were able to build and establish cities, begin trade, and learn. It was during these days that the angels began to share their gifts with the races of the land. For the first time, healers and druids began to appear. Each of the angels began to teach their followers in different ways, but the most powerful of these teachings came from Ceridwen; she sought to teach men the powers of the angels themselves, and the men called it magic.

Magic is chaos. It is the breaking of the rules put in place when the worlds were created. The angels believed they had the right to change the rules of the planes because they had created them, and saw it as a horrible corruption that Ceridwen was teaching the men to do this.

In these days there was no good magic, only goodly priests and very powerful evil wizards. There is only so much magic on a plane and the men did not have the angels' ability to reach out to separate planes for their power. This wasn’t much of a problem because the magic of the plane was enough to power the relatively few wizards that Ceridwen had taught to channel it. But as more wizards learned to channel magic, it became harder for any individual wizard to cast the more powerful spells.

While the amount of wizards were few, these were the days of the most powerful of wizards ever to exist. They were evil and created many evil artifacts, some of which still exist to this age. Fire was a holy weapon in these days, and the goodly man's only defense against the unholy power of magic. Although it was rare for a wizard to fall, when they did it was almost always to the flames of the righteous.

The days of the Age of Magic were days of relatively peaceful times but always with strong undercurrents of superstition and fear. Spells could destroy cities or swallow seas, and magical weapons could make a farmers son into the most powerful of heroes, but it always had a cost.

The Third Age--The Age of Ice

There were three events that occurred almost simultaneously and marked the end of the Age of Magic. The events were so catastrophic that the progress made in the Age of Magic was nearly forgotten, and it was the closest Creation has come to destruction since Dagda forced the other angels to make their pact.

It began with the preparation of Mulcarn to break the Compact and enter the worlds again. The angels of good had decided that they would each be responsible for watching one of the angels of evil and it was the angel of fire’s (Bhall’s) responsibility to be watching the evil angel of winter. But Bhall was suffering from the persistent temptations of Agares himself. When Bhall gave into Agares’s temptations, she threw off the order of the One and choose instead the chaos of Agares. On this day fire turned against men and rained from the sky on thousands of worlds. Immediately the sorcerers who had feared the flames found them easier to control than any other element and the flames became the sorcerers' most powerful weapon.

At this same time one of Ceridwen’s most powerful sorcerers, a man named Kyorlin, turned from his loyalties as well. Tired of the evil that surrounded him, he found some soft spot in his heart that Nantosuelta gently tended to. At first broken to sorrow for his past actions, he was quickly moved to righteous anger. He prayed and preached for all those who had also fallen to evil to turn away from it, and when that failed he used the power of his sorcery against them. This was the first time magic had been used by men for good. The angels of good were pleased by the battles Kyorlin fought and won in their name, and the many converts that followed him instead of Ceridwen. They blessed him and deemed that men should have the power of magic and Nantosuelta was selected to guide men in it.

As soon as Bhall fell, Mulcarn, who had been waiting for that moment, moved into the world. Sucellus went to stop him and the two battled on the tundra of a forgotten world for days. Sucellus was beaten and since Mulcarn couldn’t kill him he broke Sucellus into 7 parts and scattered him throughout all of Creation. With the angel of nature gone, and the angel of winter in the worlds and flush from his victory, an Ice Age set in across Creation.

The Ice Age had a wide impact but lasted only a few hundred years. Nantosuelta gathered the bodies of Sucellus that Mulcarn had spread across creation except for the one that Mulcarn kept himself, the Heart of Sucellus. This age came to an end the day Kyorlin appeared in Mulcarn’s earthly throne room, having traveled across half-a-dozen ice covered worlds to get there. Kyorlin was by this point nearly 450 years old and his magic, the result of both the direct teachings of Ceridwen and Nantosuelta, was said to be more powerful than any other mortal has ever known. He was there to do what a god a failed to do, kill Mulcarn, and when he announced it the entire plane echoed with Mulcarn's laughter, laughter that ended when Mulcarn noticed the Godslayer hanging at Kyorlin’s side.

Mulcarn was killed, and Kyorlin gave the Heart of Sucellus over to Nantosuelta who put Sucellus back together and restored the broken god. Once again, nature bloomed and the ice receded, but Sucellus was changed from the event; during the time his body was torn apart his spirit walked Arawn’s land of the dead with the mortal departed spirits. When Sucellus returned he brought with him the powers of Nature and Death as well.

The days of the Age of Ice were days of chaos and constantly changing conditions. The twin cataclysms of raining fire and the sudden ice age were too much for many civilizations to bear. Life on entire planes was extinguished while others had to drastically change their lifestyle to survive. Dwarves and Elves alike retreated far underground to escape the chill of the surface and the battles of the Underdark began during this age. Then, at the end of this Age, the events leading up to Kyorlin’s battle with Mulcarn, made for the best of legends.

The Fourth Age--The Age of Rebirth

When the ice receded, life once again returned to areas that had left vacant. Man was forced to rebuild again but did so a bit stronger, and a bit more knowledgeable, than he had been before. There were more sorcerers than there had ever been, but that wasn’t to say they were common. Because of this, any individual sorcerers power didn’t compare to the legendary powers of the sorcerers of the Age of Magic. The elves suffered a split, and although most have returned to the sunlit surface some made a pact with darker forces and opted stay in their deep homes.

It is now the beginning of the Age of Rebirth. The Compact of Dagda has broken into two factions: one dedicated to Dagda and another dedicated to one of his lieutenants, an angel known as Cass+C706iel who argues that angels should follow the example of the One and turn the backs on Creation and allow it to succeed or falter on its own, not as part of their schemes.

Only in retrospect will the point that marks the move into the next age be known. It is suspected that the next age will be known as the Age of Enlightenment, and it will be marked by a dramatic polarization of good and evil, law and chaos which will be followed by the return of the One and the judgment that ends Creation. Some ages predict that that Age of Enlightenment is already upon us and point to the nearly fanatical discipline imposed by the Order as evidence, a fanatical devotion so intolerant of infractions it is beginning to be difficult to distinguish it from the planes' most evil dictatorships.

Evil cults seem to be taking root in even the most peaceful of farmland villages. Adventurers are sorely pressed to keep up with the activity as new creatures are spawned and ancient creatures are awakened to terrorize the land. In the shadows it is whispered that the Godslayer may not be capable of killing a god forever and Mulcarn may return; sages fear that, like Sucellus, he may return more powerful than he left. Other rumors speak that a group of men have found the gems at the center of the Elemental planes that Agares stole so long ago. They say the Gems of Death, Water and Air all are being held by mortal men, now with as much power as the gods themselves.

It is said the outer planes mirror this activity, the long dormant war of belief on the planes has taken on new urgency, every planar border city taken is celebrated as if those commanding the war know the battle is almost done. Man has proven that he does not need the angels to survive, his growing maturity is removing the innocence that protected him long ago.

Yes, Laroth is trying to usurp the precept of death from Arawn.

The Three Brothers are 3 mortals who managed to steal 3 gems of creation for Agares, just like Agares had stolen them from The One. The 3 gems stolen were the gems of Water, Air, and Death. The only brother whose name we know is Tuoni the Gatekeeper, the brother who has the Gem of Death embedded in his right hand.

There aren't a whole lot of details known about them. Most of what we know comes from Kael's D&D campaigns and aren't really cannon, but I believe that their existence is canonical. Tuoni was the main bad guy in one of Kael's campaigns. When the players met him, he used the Opalus Mortis (as the gem of death was called) to resurrect every enemy they had ever faced to fight them again. (The Baron Duin Halfmorn was one of the stronger enemies, but both times the team faced him they got extremely lucky rolls and killed him before he could land a single hit.) Tuoni was working with Tebryn Arbandi, who was casting the spells of winter. Tuoni wanted him to complete a ritual hat would kill everyone in the world, so that he could trap all their souls within the Opalus Mortis and use them to create a new world over which he would be a god. Auric Ulvin was supporting the rituals for most of the time, but did not want them completed since he intended to use the magical forces the ritual had gathered in order to ascend to become the God of Ice again. (I believe that in that campaign Auric was the resurrection of Mulcarn literally, not just a mage with the affinity for the sphere. I think that this might have ben the campaign where the land itself was formed from Mulcarn's corpse, and the sea of mists from his blood.) By saving the world, the team played right into Auric's hands and made him a god. The brother who held the Gem of Air was mentioned in that campaign, but they never actually met him. He was an excuse for the team's good allies to be powerless to help them and too busy to talk, as they were busy mounting armies to defeat a warlord who could but wave his hand and create an army of tornadoes to wipe out the armies and cities of men. The brother who held the Gem of Water was never found.

I tend to think that Ceridwen helped the three brothers steal the gems from Agares, against Agares wishes. I can't find it now, but I remember the pedia used to include a conversation between a pre-fall-Bhall (or was it a post resurrection Sucellus? I think it was Bhall and that the 3 brothers lived in the age of magic, but it might have been Sucellus in which case the brothers are around now.) and Agares in which Agares seems genuinely insulted that the good god would suggest he had anything to do with sharing the gems with mortals. Ceridwen has always liked sharing power with mortals, so as to corrupt them. I think that having access to an infinite well of the power of one sphere would cause a mortal to become completely imbalanced, so dominated by that one sphere that his free will is reduced to the level of a god. It would make Tuoni very dour and the brother who holds the gem of air extremely reckless (probably enough to make him die in some stupid accident). The sphere of water however would tend to calm a person and make him comfortable without using the power. That brother likely never used the gem enough to do serious damage to his psyche. Even if he did, the sphere would make him withdraw into himself and associate only with a few close friends instead of going out and harming others.

The brothers have a constellation named after them.

Really? Think again

Yes, think again

OK, i've just about figured out all the errors in my story by going over it again(sorry this is a bit of a late post). I actually think I put Agares there because he is one of the evil gods and if you read the angel descriptions, he probably fits the role of TXT_KEY_DEATH_GOD. Eccos turns towards the voice (I'm leaving that to your own imagination). The stupid Order bit was actually typed by my friend who thinks he knows EVERYTHING about Ffh (he almost died when I showed him the amount of comments about how Eccos should have been in the cult of Sirona or Empyrean). I intended to leave it on a cliffhanger at the end so it would of been more like the stories you get in the Ffh pedia. I'll leave you to ake up your own endings, I have edited the post to make the Skewiff end bit sound more fitting. Tell me if you think anything else needs to be changed!

Anyway, why is my message regarded as a quick reply when its got about 900 words in it?

Yes, MC made a typo there. It wouldn't make sense to steal the gems which were yours to begin with anyways

But does Agares have complete control over the elemental planes? They are infinite, he is not. The other gods have created things/people/angels/etc after the One withdrew.

Every God have the ability to channel power from the planes of Infinite Elements. That is also the reason why gods can still create Archangels and Angels or other stuff like that.

The other angels took notice of this. Agares claimed that it was cruel to take the power of creation away from them, and that the One was jealous that their creations had outshone heaven itself. Six angels sided with Agares as they were eager to regain the power of creation, and he showed them his infinite plains and how to use them to create. These angels were Camulos, Aeron, Ceridwen, Mammon, Esus and Mulcarn.

He only showed certain Gods, how would the other Gods have learned?

Maybe he hired the brothers to take the gems so that the other gods couldn't access those three types of magic. They took gems to Erebus because of Ceridwen's urging, against Agares will.

While he may have only personally showed those 6 to use it, the other angels learned soon enough. Kael has stated that every god/angel has continued to make use of these planes, even those who condemn Agares for stealing the gems most harshly. Agares hates the Good Angels mostly for their hypocrisy.

@Babelfish9000: Nice to see a new face around here! Unfortunately, I've nothing to say that's not already been said by Magister Cultuum, Nikis-Knight, et cetera...
That said, I've been busy with a particularly epic (if still incomplete) game that inspired two rather bizarre stories.
Spoiler Paradise :
Everything was destroyed. Johnathon's home city had been turned to ash by a single, terrible man who dressed as a king and warped minds with words. His family was dead. The Bannor empire was crumbling, and he knew it. The Hell they had escaped those many years ago had come for them, and this time, it was succeeding. But Johnathon had escaped, and fled to seek the single glimmer of hope that shined in the black night of the living hell Erebus had become.

He and a ragged band of survivors were seeking something that was only spoken of in whispers and rumors: the Paradise. A land untouched by Hell, if only they could slip unnoticed through Balseraph territory. It was probably a rumor, a fool's dream, if not an outright trap. But what else was there? Foolish dreams, at least, were better than despair. Those who died did so believing that their children, brethren, or friends might make it to Paradise instead.

Nobody prayed. Junil had failed. Lugus had forsaken them. Kilmorph gave nothing. Some had even turned in desperation to the Overlords, but they had also given up Erebus to the might of Agares. But it was said that even Agares himself could not touch Paradise.

To pass the time, the survivors swapped stories of woe; there were no other kinds. An elderly man, among the oldest of the group but still relatively healthy, said, “I hear the Doviello fell. Utterly destroyed. Never thought I'd be so sad to hear that news.” There were nods of agreement; the beastmen had been as fierce and unforgiving as animals, but at least they were better than the Infernals.

There was a time of silence, then another piped in. “They say there's a fourth horseman. It's only a guess... something has been leaving a trail of devastation worse than the other three. No prisoners, no survivors, villages just... disappear.” Things were getting worse and worse.

Said yet another, “can't be any nastier than the third. Disease and death followed him everywhere... I've only heard, people who actually see him tend to die horrible deaths from the diseases... provided he doesn't kill them first.”

A younger man put in what he'd heard: “they say the first horseman, the King, tried to invade Paradise.” Gasps and murmurs of horror. “But they killed him! Yeah, they killed him and took his crown! Been getting ready to do the same to the other two... three now, I guess.” Most wanted the tale to be true, but doubted it. Could the Horsemen be slain at all?

Said another, “even if so, what about the Balseraphs? They're near as bad as the Infernals. Think it's all just some grand game, love nothing more than torturing people. Break their souls, make them worship Agares so they can turn them into demons. But not before breaking their bodies and minds... entertainment, they reckon it is. Horrifying. Every Balseraph is just a demon in a human-shaped egg, says I.” Nods of agreement.

They'd encountered Balseraphs before, a few times, and each had been a desperate fight. The survivors couldn't afford to take prisoners or leave any Balseraphs to report their existence, and they dare not be captured alive themselves, so each encounter was a savage struggle to the death. After the first encounter, cannibalism had also become accepted policy; they couldn't afford to waste food or leave bodies.

There was a change in the plains of ash ahead. The eldest of the group smiled from ear to ear. “Come on!” he yelled as he ran, with suprising speed, towards what seemed to be another ashen plain. The rest of the group, inspired if somewhat confused, tried to keep pace.

When the old man reached the change in ash, he scooped the new stuff up. Except it wasn't ash. It was a strange, pure white powder, which the old man clumped into a ball and, grinning like a child, threw at Johnathon. It was cold, and upon touching Johnathon, began to turn into water. “Snow!” the old man yelled. “It's snow! It's been too long since I've seen snow!” He laughed and danced. “This is it! We've made it! The Illian Empire! Hell has no power here! Paradise!”

The air grew cold surprisingly fast as the group dragged itself towards the promised land. A rabbit, white as the snow around it, examined them. It was the first non-demonic animal they had seen for months, sometimes years. The youngest Bannor stared, half expecting it to bare razor sharp teeth, spit fire at them, or roar. But it seemed as frightened of them as they were of it.

A hunter, previously invisible, swathed in furs, appeared and speared the creature. He grabbed his catch, then noticed the ragged band approaching. “More refugees? By Auric... luckily for you, I've been told we need all the hands we can get, but first things first. Listen up, and listen well. I am to have you take the Oath.” The group stopped, and listened. “Do you agree to abandon your old gods?” The survivors nodded. One said, “they abandoned us first!” “So they did,” said the hunter. “Do you agree to serve Auric, in this world and the next?” Again, they gave their consent. “Do you agree to abide by the laws and customs of the Illian people?” And again, they agreed. “Then I welcome you...” the hunter couldn't even finish his sentence before the group cheered.

Spoiler The Siege-Breaker :
One of the thing Petyr loved about rebirth was that things that had harmed him in life ceased to be a worry. The cold, for example. The land surrounding Tolero was an icy wasteland, and even its Illian occupants dared not venture out without being so covered in furs they seemed more animal than men. Petyr and his fellow Scions, however, had little to fear from the cold, a point of great pride.

Bored, Petyr yelled up to the battlements as the enemy javelineers prepared another volley. “Why do the slaves of the Dead God not kneel before the Risen Emperor? You would sooner worship a farm boy with delusions of godhood then the glory of Patria? You are fools! There shall be no rebirth for following Mulcarn, only stagnation and death! Come, take rebirth for yourself!” One of the Illians, more covered in furs than the rest and therefore presumably more important, yelled back, “a pack of rotting corpses seeks to rebuild Patira? The God of Ice crushed Patria before, and he will do it again! Enjoy your little spring before Erebus' true lord reclaims it and sends you back to your graves! Now, would somebody impale that corpse?” With that, another volley of javelins sent Petyr scurrying away.

Medanto watched as the corpse ran back to join its brethren. He assumed it was important; the thing was well dressed, and could have been mistaken for living, unlike the freak show that made up the rank and file of the Scion military. Arrogant piles of bone and flesh, all of them. Luckily, the war between the Scions and Illians had gone on long enough that Auric had made a very special plan, just to finish the Scions off. “Has the mage arrived yet?” he asked one of his subordinates. “Yes sir, he'll be here shortly.” “Good...”

Petyr saw the important-looking Illian have a brief conversation with a less significant looking one, but thought nothing of it. There was a lull, and then an old man climbed unsteadily up to the battlements. He was as fur-covered as the other Illian, but also had a wild beard and a large, important looking staff. Interestingly, the crystal atop it glowed not icy blue, but a warm yellow-white. Looking at it made Petyr feel oddly uncomfortable.

“By the power of Life,” the mage intoned, his voice amplified and his staff raised high, “I return to Arwan what is Arwan's!” Panic spread among the Scions. One of the Scions said, “but... weren't Mulcarn and Sucellus enemies?” The mage continued. “By the power of Life, I send back to the Hells what belongs in the Hells! By the power of Life, I banish the dead to the realm of the dead! By the power of Life, I banish the damned to the realm of the damned! So I say, and so it shall be done!”

There was a flash, and then... peace. Petyr suddenly felt very tired. The effort needed to maintain his physical form was so... great. His body no longer felt like his body at all, but rather, a prison. It wasn't really worth it, it wasn't natural. Something had always felt wrong, since his rebirth, but he hadn't noticed it until then. His brethren were, one by one, collapsing. They smiled as they fell. The seemed so... happy. “Elena...” Petyr muttered. Yes, he had to stay awake, he had to keep going. He had promised to return. “Elena...” he held tight to this one word, the name of his beloved...

It ended. Petyr stared at the scene surrounding him. The Scion attack force was decimated and disarrayed, and the survivors clearly shaken. Petyr knew the siege was over, that the Illians would crush them if they stayed. “Retreat!” he yelled. Desperately trying to return to a semblance of order, the Scions made a ragged rout as the Illians cheered and hurled insults and javelins to hasten the Scion flight.

[The stories are actually in reverse of their chronological order, but I think Paradise should go first, otherwise it'd be too easy to guess what Paradise actually is from the previous story. I never even planned to go against type, BTW... it just sort of happened that way...]
[EDIT: Forgot to mention, the latter assumes familiarity with Fall Further.]

I think Paradise may well be the best thing you have yet written KC. Excellent work.

Serving Mulcarn/Auric would mean they'd wind up in hell, but it would be the most pleasant of the hells. Its cold isn't comfortable, but there really isn't much to fear there like in the deeper hells. They might eventually be drawn into descending deeper, but they don't have to and many never do. Of course, if they don't eventually get the nerve to move on and also don't show themselves particularly useful to Mulcarn then their souls would eventually loose their identity and find themselves as part of a tar demon.

Conspiracy theory

- short, not neccessarily sweet

Spoiler :

"Woha….what happened there dude?”
"That was trippy..."
“...the light man, that red light – it just drew us over here”
"..certainly seemed like a strange reagent trip"
“I’m tellin’ ya man, it’s like, it’s like they’re getting into our heads man”
“Yeah…must be Perpentechs government dudes”
“…nah, it’s aliens…”
“Pah…you and your alien dude stuff man. We’re in a world of Demons, Angels, and semi sentient splodges of tar – and you’ve got it into your head that there are some ‘aliens’ controlling us”
“Well ‘owd you explain those big red lights that appear, and then disappear as soon as we get to where they were”
“…’s trick of the light”
“But why do we always move towards ‘em then?! I’m telling ya’, we’ve got implants in our eads”
“Nah dude…the way your going you’ll be wearing tinmail on your head. I’m telling you, it’s mind magic at play”...

Top Bottom