georgestow's Library

It's because of the lack of contrast that you can hardly tell. Lightening and upping contrast before and/or after you resize to the 32x32 will prevent the loss of contrast that comes with shrinking. Everybody has there own methods as a sort of template I would up both lightness and contrast by 8 and adjust from there.

Could be used for early vaccination too, or anything to do with early industrial medicine.

Attachments

• DO-L.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 136
From that French thingy about human rights-one of the first human rights things.

Attachments

• HumanRights-Large.zip
    14.2 KB · Views: 129
The belief that there is no god-although you should already know that's what it means.

Attachments

• Atheism-Large.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 112
These are some civilopedia pics I had to make because the resource/unit didn't have one. There are pics here for Bear, Fossils, Tiger, Coconuts, Horse, UFO, WindWaker Link.
Resources
Horse Unit
UFO Unit
Windwaker Link

Attachments

• Variouspcx.zip
    86.7 KB · Views: 125
Really old Indian 'atheistic' religion.

Attachments

• Jainism.zip
    34.4 KB · Views: 125
Could be used for any german plane thing too.

Attachments

• AirForce-small.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 118
Bikes and that sort of stuff.

Attachments

• Velocipedes-large.zip
    19.9 KB · Views: 122
A tech for buses or public transport, using a london bus.

Attachments

• Bus-large.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 99
This is a tech for CND, which I'm using as a tech for 'Hippie Movement'

Attachments

• CNDlarge.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 104
I'm using this for Hydrogen Power, but it could also be used for many chemistry related things.

Attachments

• Hydrogen-large.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 113
This shows a digital clock. Don't ask why 22, it's just 22.

Attachments

• Digital-large.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 115
I'm not entirely happy with how this came out. The guy in the background is Martin Luther King (Jr.). Obviously, it's about black rights and equality.

Attachments

• MLKLarge.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 100
This represants an increased tolerance of the gay community in the modern era.

Attachments

• GayRightsSmall.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 126
Thanks, I've changed it now.:D

Maybe this'll happen in the future...
This is mining minerals from asteroids or just in space. Could also be used for stuff to do with a laser or space.

Attachments

• AsteroidMining-large.zip
    16.2 KB · Views: 119
Tech Icon for Contraceptives or Birth Control. Features a condom and some pills.

Attachments

• Contraceptives-small.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 133
Re: Contraceptives

Now there's a tasteful representation of the subject.

Trouble is, as a tech (i.e., societal milestone) "contraceptives" is kind of inexact. Sort of like saying "women working" rather than "feminism" or "suffrage movement". As I understand it, contraceptives in the form of rudimentary condoms (goat skin) and even crude IUDs existed well before humans began keeping records, and medically induced abortion existed in Christ's time (though neither he nor his followers found it important enough to even comment on at the time - he never mentions homosexuality either, but I digress).

There have been some related milestones, though: Malthusian Theory (1798) was, I think, the first scientific examination of the limitations of population growth; The Comstock Laws (1873) prohibited dissemination of information about contraception as well as obscenity - remnants of those laws are still in effect today; Planned Parenthood (1921) was founded as a concept and an organization (originally called the American Birth Control League) by Margaret Sanger, although her early advocacy for eugenic sterilization marred her otherwise good intentions; The Pill (1960) revolutionized contraception, sparked a rebirth of the Women's Movement and is credited with remaking western culture and society; and Roe v. Wade (1973) - the Supreme Court case that legalized abortion in the U.S., and intensified a moral and political debate that continues to this day. Those are just a few of many related concepts.

It is interesting to note that the "population bomb" was very much a subject of hot debate in the 1960's (remember the movies Soylent Green and Logan's Run?) but dropped right off the radar in the '70's due to a shift in birth rates - down to 1.7 births for white women in the U.S. by 1976 - and its unpopularity as a topic among minority populations eventually made "population control" very politically un-correct. Then there was China's one-child policy that freaked everyone out. There is lately some tentative re-emergence of interest in the subject - for instance, it was a topic on last week's "To the Contrary" program on PBS.

I'm not saying you should change anything; I like the icons. I just thought I'd throw some thought-snacks onto your table, since you've raised the subject.;)

I'm using it for 'Modern Contraceptives'-so that's stuff like latex condoms and the pill(like the 1960 thing you said). This is because I was aware of various contraceptions before.
Thanks for your comment.

Top Bottom