Snakes & Foxes 3: The ****oo's Nest (Game Thread)

(OOC: I have actually recieved some battle ideas from both combattants. I just need their stats from you, Niklas, to start writing. Do look forward to it, for it will be grand! :) )

(OOC: Hahaha, oyzar and I are first and second voters for the engineer. Vote him up, everyone! One of us might get posthumous points! :p

Diamondeye, I have full faith in you. Do us proud. *nods* )

"I'm fine with the Engineer fighting, however I don't think I want to see the Assassin fight."

"As for bets, though? Twenty gold on the Pirate."

394 Gold on the Archmage Gotta risk money to make points

PS. May I now point out that I've basically singlehandedly changed the odds to like 4:1?

(OOC: No faith in me, CCRunner? I'm shocked. :p )

From over the fence dividing the isolation area from the rest of the arena, the various contestants (and half the audience -- the half that's not still sleeping off the previous evening's excesses, that is) hears the Pirate break into a rollicking series of sea chanties, each more filthy than the last.

An' here's one for you!

he shouts at his opponent, then suits action to words. Even the Courtesan blushes at that one. The Pirate's gold teeth gleam in the sunshine.

(OOC: No faith in me, CCRunner? I'm shocked. :p )
Way I figure, there's a 50/50 chance either way and if Oyzar loses, my team is pretty screwed no matter what so I may as well maximize my benefit with very little (comparatively) loss. So think of it as more of a team thing than a no faith thing ;)

Edit: Besides, murdering merchants ain't exactly the best way to go getting faith now is it? ;)

"Ya know what? If we're getting that kind of bets, I'm prepared to take another longshot bet. One hundred gold on the Pirate."

the Pirate break(s) into a rollicking series of sea chanties, each more filthy than the last.

Ah, I'm proud of my teammate. Going into the fight in his shore-going rig, with money in his pockets, his eyes staring out of his head and his prick a yard long.

Way I figure, there's a 50/50 chance either way and if Oyzar loses, my team is pretty screwed no matter what so I may as well maximize my benefit with very little (comparatively) loss. So think of it as more of a team thing than a no faith thing ;)

What a coincidence, that's my logic exactly.. :D

Edit: Besides, murdering merchants ain't exactly the best way to go getting faith now is it? ;)

Hey! I'm on this team too! 300 gold on the Archmage

I believe the odds are now about 6:1

(OOC: Hush, you, it's nighttime in that game. :gripe: )

the Ranger engineer can fight the assassin(Frost speaker).

Evening, Day 9

The air was electrifying this night, and the grand Theatre of Dreams was literally filled to the rafters. Perpentach himself had come dressed in his finest outfit - it included bells - and most of the court was there too. This fight was going to be something special for sure.

First to take the arena this fight was the Pirate, who had definately not used the hours in quarantine to take a bath or other such sanitary luxuries: his beard was unkempt and week-long, his smile was spotted by several golden teeth, and his bare feet (!) were unwashed and throughout dirty. He strolled onto the arena, a scimitar in his belt and a rather massive hammer in his hands. A green parrot followed in his wake, screeching profanities.

The archmage gave an exactly opposite impression; taking the stage in a worthy, rank walk, his long robe falling neatly around him and hiding all the trinkets he used for his spells, a long spellstaff in his hand and a crystal orb floating mysteriously besides him. As he had taken his place in the arena, reality started to shift...

The archmage almost lost his balance as the ship materialized underneath them, rolling violently in the storm. Because the narrator decided to be nice, he even let everyone know the name of the ship: The proud vessel was named the Storm Kestrel. A look of pride set upon the Pirate's face, as he quickly found his balance and, to the great surprise of the audience, waved his arms dramatically while mumbling what could have been a sailor's song, had it not been for the lightning bolt it conjured, striking at the still unbalanced archmage. The crystal orb that hung next to him absorbed the lightning without any visible harm to either it or the Archmage.

Now, the Archmage had his turn; as he waved his staff in the air, the audience heard the gruesome howl of the Kraken. A nerveous grimace found its way to the Pirate's face as several large tentacles swung onto the deck of the ship, a pair of them grabbling his foot. The audience whimpered with pleasure as the Pirate brought down the hammer on the tentacles, unleashing several crushiing noises. The tentacles promptly let go of the Pirate and concentrated on breaking things that didn't maul its tentacles quite that violently. Like, masts and stuff.

The Pirate turned around just in time to see the very generic fireball the Archmage had sent towards him, and took a rather direct hit from it. Still standing, the Pirate smiled as he put on a cloak and simply disappeared out of sight. It was clear that he was not above (literally) dirty tricks.

The Archmage shook his head and waved his hand towards the Kraken. It took a firm grip on the ship and lifted it, relieving the archmage of the unbalancing roll of the waves. He conjured a small imp that flew around him, looking for the hidden Pirate.

"Take that, ye swab!" The cry came from behind the Archmage and he quickly turned around, more fire at the ready. The audience had pity on Bob, the Pirate's parrot, as he was cindered, but it proved a chance for the Pirate who had actually been in front of the Archmage, and who was now, comfortably enough, behind him. A sundering blow from the hammer sent spasms through the Archmage as the Pirate mauled his right shoulder. The Archmage fell to the deck, severely wounded, but still conscious. He gestured for the imp to attack, which it did rather unsuccesfully, with a small trident. It was kicked over the reeling and never seen again.

The small demon's sacrifice had bought the Archmage some time, though. As the Pirate turned back towards him, the Archmage reached out and sent a wall of pure, magic force directly towards the Pirate, who was thrown almost overboard, narrowly saving himself by catching a rope and swinging himself up in a mast.

The audience was silent with excitement, the only sound the rolling waves as the Pirate jumped from the mast, bringing down his hammer on the Archmage with both hands. Striking straight through the illusion, he made a rather nice hole in the deck of his own ship. He swore as the Archmage - the real one - mumbled a spell from behind him and sent a stream of lightning towards the Pirate.

He left his hammer in the deck, taking out his scimitar and walking through the beam of lightning towards the Archmage. What few Star Wars fans there was among the audience waited for the Archmage to say something like "and now, young Skywalker, you die", but none such thing occured, naturally. Instead, the Pirate proceeded towards the Archmage, resisting most of the lightning, but still biting his lip in pain.

The Archmage changed tactic, and mumbled another incantation. Laughs came from the crowd as the Pirate turned into a frog. It was rather funny as the frog jumped straight towards the Archmage, even more funny when it became the Pirate again mid-air and stumbled into the fragile old man. They fell to the deck in one big mess.

The crowd cheered as the Archmage struck the Pirate with his staff, obviously empowered by some magic device of his, breaking several ribs on the Pirate, but in the end, the Pirate managed to bring his scimitar to the Archmage's throat. Reality changed fast, leaving the heap of the two fighters in the arena sand.

Spoiler :
The Archmage was Innocent!

The Archmage was worth 1245 gold. One third, 415 gold, will be given as spoils to the Pirate. The remainder is split among the two survivors of Phoenix Rising, 415 gold each.

Gold and points won and lost from betting:
Spoiler :
Final odds for Pirate to win: 1.72:1

The following contestants have won gold and points from betting:
Arquebusier +86 gold, +186 points
Dragonslayer +86 gold, +186 points
Divided Soul +1 gold, +101 points
Paladin +86 gold, +186 points
Beastmaster +172 gold, +272 points
Ranger +86 gold, +186 points
Lizardman +516 gold, +616 points

The following contestants have lost gold from betting:
Satyr -144 gold
Luonnotar -1 gold
Illusionist -146 gold
Luridus -394 gold
Shaman -300 gold
Ogre -50 gold

The Pirate stood up, severely wounded, and stumbled back towards his hammer, gripping it tight before falling unconscious to the floor. He was immidiately taken away by the arena staff. So was the corpse of the Archmage, as the pompous official once more took the stage to recite the outcome of the day's votes.

Final Vote Tally:
Ranger : 6.2 (1st voter: Shaman ; 2nd voter: Luridus )
Assassin : 6.1 (1st voter: Shaman ; 2nd voter: Luridus )
Engineer : 5
Frost Speaker : 2
Berserker, Brujah, Dragonslayer, Luridus, Overlord Speaker : 1

Morning fight: Ranger vs Assassin , Assassin gets arena choice.

Final Vote Breakdown:
Spoiler :

(** denotes first to vote, * denotes second to vote)

The Pack:
  • Satyr (scherbchen) **Brujah Engineer
  • Assassin (Seon) Ranger Engineer
  • Beastmaster (PaulusIII) Engineer Assassin
The Disciples:
  • Ritualist (rhawn)
  • Dragonslayer (Izipo)
  • Divided Soul (PurpleTurtle) Ranger Assassin
Team 3:
  • Ghost (Methos)
  • Eidolon (Sepuku) Assassin Engineer
  • Ogre (Winston Hughes)
THE MIGHTY MANLY MOTLEY MATEYS
  • Brujah (Frozen In Ice)
  • Pirate (Renata) Assassin **Engineer
  • Frost Speaker (BaoBao123)
  • Arquebusier (BananaLee) Engineer Assassin
The Awesomely Awesome Team of Awesomeness
  • Berserker (MooseWarrior)
  • Paladin (Aramazd) **Berserker **Luridus
The Golden Scarecrows
  • Lizardman (Kulko)
  • Illusionist (ZPV) Ranger Engineer
  • Engineer (Splime)
  • Overlord Speaker (RRRaskolnikov)
The Defiant:
  • Courtesan (D'artagnan59)
  • Luonnotar (Chandrasekhar) **Frost Speaker Assassin
  • Ranger (Jono) **Overlord Speaker **Dragonslayer
  • Runekeeper (thomas.berubeg)
Phoenix Rising:
  • Shaman (Tasslehoff) **Ranger **Assassin
  • Luridus (CCRunner) *Ranger *Assassin
  • Archmage (oyzar) *Frost Speaker Ranger

It is now night.
Marks, send me your choices for the evening combatants.
People with night abilities, send me PMs.
Members of Phoenix Rising, vote for a new team leader! Place your bets in bold blue.

Betting is open for Ranger vs Assassin. Place your bets in bold dark orange.

(OOC: I'm sorry one of us had to die, oyzar. It's been fun.)

(@ Diamondeye: You killed my parrot! This would deserve death if you weren't dead already. :p )

The Pirate made his reappearance a few hours into the night, bandaged, freshly bathed, and to his chagrin, clean-shaven. Apparently Balseraph nurses, while comely and knowledgeable, do not prefer men with beards. Shame, that.

The beer lady from the fourth tier has brought him a comfy chair to rest in, and he puts his feet up to watch the evening revelry. She'd brought him his boots back, too. Wouldn't have done to get Archmage blood on that expensive gleaming leather, no, and besides, no proper sailor would wear shoes on deck. Not that he's anything like a proper sailor.

He waves the bookkeeper over, and pulls one gold piece from his purse.

Bit quiet tonight?

The bookkeeper just shrugs. He's not the talkative sort.

One gold on th' Ranger, me man. Maybe more later, maybe on th' other guy. Keepin' meself in th' game, ye know? Keepin' meself in th' game.

"I'll be putting 1 gold on the Assassin."

The Beastmaster scowls at the others looking at him.

"What are yeh looking at? I'm not sure yet, I'm making sure I have a bet in before I forget it!"

100 gold over the ranger... I hope he is well fitted...

Top Bottom