Role Play Challenge, The Next generation: Yes we Can!

Yes We Can: American Diplomacy

First of all I goota get back into the marathon mode. Man do these games take time!

I guess this is a rather short segment but looking for a littel advice here at the end. First of all, the techpath

Masonry/Currency.

Impressive huh!

Very early in the segment Buddhism get's spread to us

Which is great as everyone else is Buddhist except Cathy!

We explore a bit with one of our Mighty warriors

To find one of our new city spots already taken. Well, I didn't expect it

And after Masonry we managed another trade

Since we have access to marble I make a try at the Oracle, but too little too late. Oh well, get got some excess gold there.

We got a random event which helps our diplomatic situation with Justinian.

A nice +3 diplo event which got us to friendly!

Meanwhile the Russian Queen came by to do what she does best

Yep. I am surprised it took her so long!

We finally got around to settlign that horse city

But unfortunately we lost out on another good city site

I probaly should have kept firing off settlers instead of the oracle and workers but I thought we had the Ais blocked sufficiently.

Justinian offered us this trade

Great because I was looking to get IW to mine those southern gems.

And the million dollar question.

NUTS!

well, perhaps I can find a source off-shore as Cathy has already gotten to that iron to the west.

Also Cathy has founded Confuscianism and is changing between Hinduism and Confuscianism so we need to keep an eye on her. If fact I started stockpiling some archers in New York until I can get the copper and horses connected.

Soon we finish

Which boosts our economy a bit and opens up some additional trade opportunities.

I saved here, deciding what to research next

Seams like either Monarchy for happiness and Cathy diplomacy, CoL for courthouses (seams like a waste with our smallish empire), or Math/construction for catapults (did I mention Cathy is only cautious to our west?).

We also need to start exploring into the enemy lands!

We did manage to explore the NW off-shore land a bit

Some decent resources but rather weak land.

Techs

Our empire

The cities

And the numerous graphs!

So where do we go from here. There are certainly some sites to further settle and we need a better military before Cathy gets any ideas.

You can protect yourself easily with axe/spear (or horse archers later). If you can bait a war, then construction might be a decent pick next. Otherwise, go aesthetics (or possibly code of laws to try to get to civil service quickly).

Aesthetics ----> lit makes a lot of sense with marble. Not only can you trade for monarchy (cathy is already willing to trade it and running HR would improve relations with her), you also gain access to a number of strong marble wonders, not to mention marble-sped heroic/national epic.

If you don't want to abuse the GPP route then civil service or cats for war make the most sense.

Ha. You lost Oracle! Private victory time!

Anyway, after my 'hah-hah!' moment, you ought Aes-Lit for GLB.

Yes We Can: Obama's Plan!

"Excuse me Mr. president" the chief of staff interupts Obama as he sinks a 15 footer. "But there is something we need to discuss."

"Of course, what's on your mind"

"Mr. president, remember the CFC members were exstactic about this RPC giving an endless number of posts before the game even started."

"Of course, Mr. secretary, afterall what's not to love about me!"

"Well sir, apparently you poll number have dropped considerably and there is a lack of support right about now."

"But I don't understand. I showed up, surely that's enough. I mean I may be superhuman, but damned I cannot do everything (yet)"

"We know Mr. President, but perhaps, how shall I say, maybe there needs to be a little more substance in your game. Just posting I AM HERE is just not enough.:

"I see. Well Mr. secreatry, I have just the plan. Let me discuss it with you. An inovative plan that noone else has thought of yet. It's full of change, getting away from the old stuff. Something original to get us out of this funk. Real Change for Real Americans!"

"So sir, your going to make this announcement to the people now?"

"Hell no. Go turn on the teleprompter, all the guidance we need is contained in that magical box. Don't you know it's the source of all my powers."

"Er, sir. It's just a written copy of your speeches, nothing magical."

"Now that's what I am talking about Mr. secretary. One dimendional thought. Look deeper into the Teleprompter, and one can find all the answer. Wait, now here it is..."

TELEPROMPTER

DEFEND OURSELVES WITH AXES/SPEARS/CATAPULTS
UTILIZE MARBLE AND RESEARCH AESTHETICS NEXT FOR THE GREAT LIGHTHOUSE?NE
TRADE FOR MONARCHY RATHER THAN RESEARCH
CIVIL SERVICE NEXT

"Sir, that is pure genius. I am honored to work with such a visionary mind. But enough talk, let's see how this turned out!"

SO, I Barak Hussein Obama, son of a devout and religious Ethiopian Organized leader, and a wise and beautiful English queen has decided to forgo researching Monarchy oruselves, but get this wonder tech from The Russians

While we have our differences such as competing religions, the Russians are truely interested in only friendship and the Queen Catherine would never declare war on us at Cautious, let alone pleased if we also adopt

"I know my fellow Americans you elected a President, but now is the time to get change. We are now a Monarchy, and I hope you are all very happy with the Military in all your cities. Do fear the swords they have, they are here to only protect (and please deposit your personal weapondry at the door)."

"Mr. President, your popularity amongst the other leaders has increased"

"Fine Mr. Secretary, Fine. Now about our techpath here, I have decided to research

AESTHETICS/Literature/HBR/CoL/Construction/Civili Service"

"Sir, that Babylonian is asking for a tech handout, shouldn't we retain some national security/"

"No, please give it away, and any other tech that is asked of us. These people are our friends"

"Sir, the French have a proposal"

"Whatever it is, give it to them. America shall be protected by my personal prestige"

"And see what good comes from it"

Now onto other matters

Let's make a trade with our Good frind Justinian

"Sir, there are more beggers at the door."

"Can't you see I am busy here trying to fix the telepromptor, I mean my next speech. Give them what they want."

In the meantime, American warriors have been busy and scouted out the land masses a bit.

To the south

And the continent to the north.

You know, I would have expected at least one iron resource up there.

"Sir, the Russians are back with more demands."

"Come now Mr. Sectretary, if we cannot trust the Russians who can we trust?"

"Er, yes sir. I just wanted to remind you that we wanted the Great Library and you just gave the Russians the needed techs!"

"Did I. Well, perhaps I used the wrong words there. Anyway, I will go and apologize to the Russians for it."

"But sir, we did nothing wrong!"

"No no, I know what I am doing here"

As president Obama continues to debate matters with his staff and apologize to the other AIs , some energenic American settlers have established the city of San Franciso

And FINALLY, in no man's land a lone source of iron is found.

Unfortunately the Warrior was cut down by a Barb Axeman, so at the save we do not know if it is still open.

"Mr. president, the Byzantines are offering us a trade"

"Yes, by all means accept it. In fact I personally talked with Queen Catherine who also offered us another good trade"

"Sir, we have just competed the tech Construction, what are your orders?"

"WHAT!>, Um, I have not really planned out that far. Ah, well, perhaps...

"SIR, our citizans have completed"

"So what do they build next sir?"

Huh, yeah right. The Great Library. I um, well tell you what boys, we have worked a long time here, perhaps it's time we head out and celebrate a little"

"Sir? We are just getting going"

"Nonesense, this is as good a spot as any to stop. All this work and all, building wonders settling cities, I am worn to the bone. I know a great Local hamburger joint and I hear they want me to give a speach at the local Forum, gotta be in tip top shape."

"But sir, the game...."

Wow, that's some impressive and generous diplomacy Obama. Only you could unite people of all kinds of different religions, races and creeds under one cause: Liking you! That's soooo Obama. Adopt bureaucracy and Hammurabi will love you even more! great job Mad i've loved your RPC's and this one looks great!:goodjob:

A game of complying with AI demands isn't a nail-biter if they all do indeed love you.

Once HR builds up cathy's love for you vs others you're probably in good shape.

The strong options here are to finish NE then make a fun at music or head to civil service immediately. I don't see much need for iron unless you're making cuirassers or cannons in the future. Would their use make Obama popular? In that sense selling out on iron doesn't seem necessary, but if it isn't too expensive having iron and the ability to trade furs isn't awful :p.

Go to MC. Build forges to increase popular support for Obama and start building the American production puissance. If there's enough time the citizens might be tempted to build a huge Barack to watch over their shoreline, making the sea more profitable.

Go to MC. Build forges to increase popular support for Obama and start building the American production puissance. If there's enough time the citizens might be tempted to build a huge Barack to watch over their shoreline, making the sea more profitable.

Colossus isn't a bad wonder but it doesn't look like he'll be working a TON of sea tiles...but that wouldn't be awful if the AIs don't have MC yet.

Still, the AI prioritizes MC over CS or music so you're likely to hurt trades a bit that way.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't consider the trade possibilities well because I'm still not very familiar with the usual AI techpath. I just suggested that because of the extra happy of the forges and that it feels right that America is the number one in manufactured goods (unless China's somewhere in the map) :)
The Colossus was just a joke. When I thought of it I saw myself giggling over the idea of a giant copper made Barack Obama beside the Statue of Liberty.

Yes We Can: Destiny!

Mr. Sectretary, is everything all set?

"Yes sir, the Telepromtor is loaded. The nation is ready to hear you plan?"

"Very well"

"My fellow Americans. We are on the eve of momentous change in the direction of this country.

We shall continue to maintain good relations with all our neighbors.

Strategic resoruces that many feel America needs, can be ignored in the interst of world peace.

The future of this country depends on the education of our children, so I have come up with a plan on what we must due

Number 1: Civil Service, since we need all Americans to make sacrificing for the general good of the nation and improve our productivity. This is especially important in the farming industry because let's face it people, we need to eat.

Number 2: Paper, for all great plans require writing down our grand ideas, and because I have limited faith in this Telepromtor which has malfuntioned on numerous occasions.

Number 3: Education, the foundation of the future and something we simply cannot ignore. To be strong we MUST be first and best in Education in teh world.

Number 4: We cannot afford to invest so much in military thus I plan to reduce the numbers and technology to the basics. Dilplomacy will be our strongest allie!

Number 5: Our country has a spectacular history, and it need's to be written down in a spectacular National; Epic that the entire world will be envious of!"

The crowd roars in approval!

"Mr. President, that speech was absolutely spectacular! Lincolnest! I am getting chills up and down my leg just hearing it!"

"Now Now Mr. Secretary, no time for that. We have work to do"

So we begin the next segment of President Barak Hussein Obama's tale!

We start by exploring past Cathy to find numerous iron resources

I'll be damned, some people have all the luck.

Pretty soon we are completely shocked by finding that CAthy has been very busy and got herself a Colony.

"FATHER"

"MY SON"

"Oh Mad, why didn't you tell be the truth!"

Well in fact Mr. Obama I did tell you!

Very soon a Great Scientists, Socrates to be exact, appears in Washington!

To honor President Obams's Education program, Socrates builds an Academy.

" My fellow Americans', we also need to look out for a chance to get the technology of metal casting"

"Yes, the French are always there to support America's back when need!"

Meanwhile, we make another trade

Not so interested in military here as the favorite civic of Justinian and Zara.

We sent out a settler to start claiming that northern tundra area, but

well you know, we didn't really need that land!

Once we finished Civil Service we adjusted civics

And checked the Military Advisor

Wow! Three AIs prepping for war and here we are at the bottom of the Power Pyramid!

And while we have a monopoly on Civil Service, the beggers come a calling!

" Your getting a little pushy there old man!"

And not to be surpased by her vassal

This actually worked nicely as CAthy's "We Have Enough On Our Hands" went away!

Soon Louis Pastuer arrives in washington

And we save him for future work!

Meanwhile, while we plan to reduce Military Spending, we are not fools and take these trades

Simply because we can and the Ais are gonna be asking for them anyway.

At this point we are doing decent in tech

And soon Machinery is well know amongst the Ais allowing

So we have access to Maces and Longbows. Good enough until gunpowder.

we then used the saved Louis Pastuer to bulb most of Education resulting in

The fulfillment of the Obama Plan!

We make one final trade

And saved here, looking to research Liberalism next!

A view of our situation

Here is a view as to what the favorite civics are doing for us

A GLANCE at diplomacy

The Military Advisor showing that the threats have been greatly reduced

And demographics!

OK, where to from here!

I say we research Liberalism while spamming out Universities (which are double speed being Philosophical).

Meanwhile we expect quite a few GSs, great for bulbing (I also plan a Forge and run an engineer in case we get lucky and pop a GE for the UN!

So what is the fastest way to get to Mass Media????

Printing Press (Bulb GS)
Scientific Method (Liberalism)
Optics (maybe a trade???)
Astronomy (Look slike we need to research it)
Physics (Another Bulb or 2)
Electricity (Can Bulb if first to Physics and we avoid Chemistry)
Research Radio/Mass Media.

Am I missing something????

If you can definatly Lib physics or Radio, they are quite expensive.

If you can definatly Lib physics or Radio, they are quite expensive.

Yeah, if MM ASAP is the absolute priority, radio is probably best if you can get it. It's pretty painful to self-research in a deep bulbing strategy (or in general).

Thanks Mad for your games they're just hilarious. I'm also very interested to see how you can balance between Buddha club and Cathy in this game. My own diplomacy really needs improving before I can tackle higher levels (I'm planning to jump up to monarch soon). Especially this Obama game is useful for diplomacy stuff because you aren't just stomping everyone.

Is an AP win forbidden?

NO! I will take it although I prefer the UN as that's more in line with Obama's thinking. Right now it has not been built but I am not that interested in investing those hammers, but if my friends build it I would be happy to run the thing!

Yes We Can: Education is King

"Mr. President. While your poll numbers are still not what they once were, our civilization has exploded in the academic world. We are truely becoming the kings of higher learning and Great Scientists are showing up left and right."

"I know Mr. Secretary, let's see what that's all about"

A long segment with alot of screenshots here!

We started off by researching liberalism all the way down to 1 turn left, then diverted. Let's see what the great one has done.

First Michael Faraday arrived in Washington.

Obama directed him to research Printing Press to within 11 turns.

And while we had a monopoly on education, the beggers came knocking at the door.

Yeah, yeah Hammurabi. Take Education, we will still beat you to Liberalism!

Especially when we kept fueling our tech pace by trading for gold

We also found out that the APO was built in the Buddhist nation.

We voted for Justinian who got elected.

I will not bore you with every little request trade, suffice to say we are 1 turn away from Liberalsim, so i plotted out the game plan.

My goal is to get Compass/Optics now, and Liberalism bulb Astronomy. Worked very nicely especially when Cathy agreed to give us Optics as a gift!

Meanwhile, great news.

Apparently Obama's sparklinbg charisma even affected the earth itself as it spewn forth iron to the American people from the ground!

We then got lucky with this

And we simply could not refuse this trade from the Russians!

We finally got

First, selected Astronomy as planned, and checked techs

We sold optics for as much as we could, gave Compass to DeGaulle, and

When when you decide to play diplomacy with Cathy you gotta accept these things.

Meanwhile we kept the Great Scientist Ptah arround

To bulb part of Scientific Method.

And we managed this excellent trade!

Cathy reconverted back in 10 turns, but I was able to get back to Buddhism and convert all her cities to it later!

Her map gave us a good view of the competition

Also Monty is off near Justinian.

In fact Obama was so masterful at the diplomatic game he managed to get the Circumnavigation bonus without EVER building a ship except the initial Galley!

Hammurabi came with a trade

Which we had to accept

To Be Continued.................

Yes We Can: Education is King

Fermi was born in Washington just in time for us to bulb part of Physics

Unfortunately our GS pace has slowed with the Obsoletion of the Great Library, but so is the cost of progress.

We finally officially met everyone's favorite nutcase

Who we chose to ignore excpet for his lone request of Calandar.

Here you can see the final time we got Catherione to convert

AND we finally met the remaining competition.

Who is a vassal of

And Victory conditions.

Well, IF we can get the UN built and go against Joao this game may be a slam dunk! A BIG IF!!!

We continue to make any trade possible.

And THEN we were faced with a Momentous Decisions

"Mr. President, we have a new request from the French. They require Military Assistance."

"All wars are Stupid Mr. Secretary"

"I know sir, but this may be a priceless chance to solidify the Allegence of the French and Russians sir, as well as the ETHIOPIANS."

"FATHER, I AM COMING"

We declared war at DeGaulle's request! Afterward's Obama regrets it, but what is done is done. We also got a -2 diplo-penalty from Cathy, see all wars are stupid.

"Well, let's alleviate that problem, Mr. Secretary see if our Allies will help"

And the Justinian joined for free!

The lines have been drawn my friends, let's see if we can bring this Diplomatic game home!

Obama did seek peace as soon as he could

We finished Physics first, looking at the next tech decision

We also are a few turns from the next GP. I say we use the current to partly bulb Electricity, use the next GP as follows A) A GS we further bulb electricity, B) GE save for the UN and wait to win teh game, C) GA curse the gods and start a Golden Age.

As far as tech, we are researching at an amazing pace here

A Little past 1000 AD and starting Electricity!

Diplomacy we are doing exceptional

Which we certainly need as our defense is pretty much non-existant. Let's see if Obama's reduction in Military spending work!

Victory conditions look Decent

Although I am well aware this setup could crumble easily.

So I saved here looking at researching electricity/radio/massmedia and hopefully lucking out to get a Great Engineer.

SO how is Obama doing!

First time poster in these series. Have enjoyed reading them very much ;)

Keep up the great work!

Top Bottom