BombNesIII: The Age of Imperialism

With the update deadline passed I feel its safe to declare Luckymoose the winner of the picture contest with TheSupervisor coming in second place. There were many excellent submissions and as the NES goes on many of these will make appearances in the updates, however the the winners had two outstanding features to their submissions.

Luckymoose won because not only was he the only applicant to create their submission but also kept it very simple and managed to include several key elements of the era. To see Luckymoose's excellent banner look atop the opening page of the NES.

TheSupervisor won because while most of the other submissions depicted military and political events, his stood out as the sole depiction of daily life and the second industrial revolution. The Supervisor's submission of Herald Square in 1888 can be found below (sorry about my saving it as a jpg and bringing the quality down a little).
Spoiler :

Since this contest was so popular perhaps I'll do one every few turns and rotate the intro picture.

The Treaty of Tianjin
The terms of the Treaty of Tianjin are as follows:

-The Qing Empire will recognize French protectorate over Tonkin and Annam.
-The French will have concessions in southern China (trade rights, ect.)
-The French will pay the Qing Empire monetary aid. (1EP) Along with this, they also promise to supply future aid and investments.
-The British will pay the Qing Empire monetary aid (1 EP)
-All hostilities between the French and the Qing Empire are halted.

The Third Republic of France affirms the Treaty of Tianjin.

I'm still missing orders for the following players/countries:

Karalsia-Tippu Tip
Civver_764-Denmark
a_propagandist-Netherlands
Fuschia-Brazil
d'artagnan-Greece

If you are one of these people and want to keep playing please at least send very basic orders by the update. If you absolutely cannot even do that, please reconfirm in the thread or via PM. If I do not hear from you by time I post the update, your country will be considered open.

Both the island of Madeira and the Honduras are the color of Portugal and they aren't listed as seperate nations, yet nether are listed as Portuguese colonies. So, Bombshoo
are they part of Portugal? :confused:

Honduras is the same color? That is a mistake. Madeira is a colony but for simplicity sake I grouped it with the Azores

Yes, at least it looks like the same color. It might be a slightly different shade, but it's hard to tell.

...Sometimes the mod is laziest just before the update, but I promise you the update is coming!

I Kind of got slapped in the face by reality this weekend so despite doing quite well on the first half, I had a major slowdown in work speed. Nonetheless the update is 90% finished with only stats remaining and should be up by tonight.

I'm also fairly happy to say that in the end there was only 5 people who didn't send orders and none of them were playing Great Powers. Nonetheless I'd like to give the following people one final chance to submit simple spending orders...

Karalysia-Tippu Tip
Fuschia-Brazil
civver_764-Denmark
d'artagnan-Greece
a_propagandist-The Netherlands

Hurry revise my orders to conquer all the non sending order types as a penalty to them!

UPDATE I: THE SCRAMBLE BEGINS

Official Update Theme Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM

Selected articles and headlines The Times, 18 December,1884 (The United Kingdom and China)

-Government plans economic development plan amid expansion of African colonies.
-Walvis Bay colony surrendered to German Empire by Berlin Conference
-Anglo-Japanese Treaty concluded
-Earthquake in Colchester kills seven
-Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology at founded at Cambridge, Pitt Rivers Museum founded at rival Oxford
-Third Reform Act passed in Parliament. Gives almost all male citizens the Right to Vote.
-Sydney and Melbourne receive telephone connection line
-Sir Robert Stout becomes new Premier of New Zealand

The Home Office Baby, Charles Bell
A publicity stunt by Rev. J. Mirehouse of Colsterworth, Lincolnshire, England has caused a public outrage across the nation. Mirehouse, in dispute with Home Secretary Sir William Harcourt over the proposed closure of a local graveyard mailed the corpse of a still born infant to the secretary. The package arrived to Harcourt on November 2nd in a package marked “perishable”. Later that month, ecclesiastical lawyer Walter Phillimore gave the opinion that Mirehouse had committed no offense known to the canon law of the Church of England and could not be disciplined.

Reports from the Mahdist Rebellion in Sudan, Henry Sutherland Edwards
Cairo, Egypt. Though the situation in the Sudan is desperate things seem to be slowly improving in England’s favor. A large Anglo-Egyptian force was recently deployed to the Northern Sudan to put pressure on the Mahdi’s forces, allowing for General Charles “Chinese” Gordon, the commanding officer in Khartoum, to make a swift retreat into Christian lands to the South and meet up an Ethiopian force under the command of Crown Prince Sahle Maryam. The Mahdi, realizing his forces were threatened with encirclement, chose to temporarily relieve his siege on Khartoum to strike against the British force in the north. Though casualties were reported to be high, especially amongst Egyptian forces, the distraction proved effective and a joint Anglo-Italian-Ethiopian army was able to advance up the Red Sea coast and relieve several small Egyptian enclaves and cut the Mahdists off from the sea. (-9 Mahdist infantry brigades, -5 Mahdist cavalry brigades, -1 Mahdist artillery brigade, -4 British infantry brigades, -1 British cavalry brigade, -2 Italian infantry brigades, -1 Italian cavalry brigade, -3 Ethiopian infantry brigades)

A Photograph of Charles "Chinese" Gordon
Spoiler :

The China Situation, John Walter
Shanghai, China. Chinese Dowager Empress Cixi has been overthrown and executed following a coup by reform minded politicians lead by Yixin, Prince of Gong. News of the coup was broken in an announcement to the military following the retreat of Chinese forces out of Tonkin. Though details of the Empress’s execution remain unclear, the announcement said the Empress had become “out of control” and her removal was a necessary act for the prosperity of the Chinese people. British correspondents in China have since been reporting regular condemnations of Cixi’s policies by the leaders of the coup while elements of the military continue to patrol the streets in major cities for fear of demonstrations against the takeover becoming violent. Though the Reformist government in China claims it will honor the most recent treaties made by the previous government, its only foreign action thus far has been to lease a small port on Formosa to the Russian government. Though most on Formosa are apathetic about the sale, the action has received much harsher criticism in Russia where many claim the possession is strategically pointless. This is the second Pro-Western coup to take place in East-Asia this year, following a very similar incident in Korea.

Boer uprising in Natal, Geoffrey Hill
An uprising by Boers mercenaries formerly employed to suppress Zulu revolts has taken place in the Natal town of Vryheid. The Republic of Transvaal has been very public in assisting the rebels even going so far as to allow several volunteer soldiers, many of them the sons of former inhabitants of Natal, to cross the border. A small British force was sent to the area in response to the uprising however they have yet to act against the rebels.

A Review of Princess Ida by Arthur Sullivan and W. S. Gilbert, Review by John Seymour
Spoiler :

This comic operetta by famed musical team Gilbert and Sullivan is perhaps their raciest yet. The opera based on the poem “The Princess” by Alfred Tennyson, openly satires topics such as woman’s rights and evolutionary science. The plot concerns a princess who founds a women's university and teaches that women are superior to men. The prince to whom she had been married in infancy sneaks into the university, together with two friends, with the aim of collecting his bride. The men disguise themselves as women students but are soon discovered, starting a literal war between the sexes. Despite excellent music, the opera which opened at the Savoy Theatre last winter in Westminster has not performed well in ticket sales. Though some conservatives are attributing the poor performance to its risqué content, it is more likely due to the particularly warm weather we experienced last summer during what should have been the show’s height. Princess Ida is set to continue shows until the first of next year but will continue to play on Broadway in New York City for several more months.

Selected articles and headlines from the Berliner Tageblatt, December 22, 1884 (German Empire)

-Catholic Moderate Party continues to dominate Legislature
-Construction begins on new Reichstag Building
-German Naval Reform Act passed; Army officers removed from chain-of-command (+.5 Naval Quality)
-Germany expands colonies, annexes Togoland (-1 infantry brigade)
-Franz Liszt to perform in Berlin for Christmas Concert; Kaiser to attend

An Interview with Bismark on the Congo Conference, Maximilian Müller-Jabusch
Citizens who frequent the city centre of Berlin have no doubt taken notice of the flood of foreign diplomats and increased security in the area. For our readers who are not well informed on the state of current events, a conference between the powers of Europe and United States is being held for the regulation of trade and colonization on the African Continent. Though the happenings taking place in the conference are being held, for the most part, in great secrecy, our publisher was able to access a press pass for the Berliner, enabling me to get a rare interview with Chancellor Bismarck himself.

Müller-Jabusch (M): Why was our fair city chosen as the place for the conference?
Chancellor Bismarck (B): Berlin, being the capital of the German Empire and the center of mainland Europe, seemed like a logical choice when deciding where the world's foremost leaders should meet.
M: What were Germany’s goals coming into the conference?
B: Peace. The recent activities in the Congo by Belgium, and the rebellion in Egypt have caused many nations to come at odds with each other and there was worry it may have escalated beyond control. Hence the conference was convened to hopefully divert those disasters as well as future disputes, particularly in the Dark Continent.
M: How are relations between the diplomats at the conference?
B: There was some tension as one would imagine, but nothing that was not smoothed out through thorough negotiation.
M: Even with the French?
B: (Laughs) France’s diplomats have proved perhaps to be the most civil of all. A lot of progress was made because of them.
M: That's good to hear relations with our neighbors are improving. As you stated earlier, some of the primary issues were the Madhist rebellion in the Sudan and the situation in the Congo. Were any other issues covered?
B: The debate over the colonization and division of Africa was discussed thoroughly and much ground has been made on that front, many colonial powers have agreed to remain in pre-designated areas of influences there by avoiding any disputes over land that might arise in the future, as has been a common factor in the growing involvement of European powers in Africa. Further more, all nations within the conference have agreed that the slave trade be banned. It has been a mark on our history for quite some time and I am happy that it has been erased.
M: I am sure this news will delight our readers. Could you give us information on what areas have been assigned to which powers? Also, does this include our recent treaty with the Sultanate of Zanzibar?
B: The majority of North Africa will be regarded as French territory, with the exception of Egypt. Much of South Africa, including the Boer states is considered in the influence of the British, with the exception of South West Africa, which is German. The Congo Free State has been granted to Belgium with of course free trade through the area by all signing power. The horn of Africa has been granted to Italy while Portugal’s current holdings have been recognized and we have acknowledged their right to expand said holdings. Of course there are numerous more technical territorial assignments to different nations that would take to long to list here.
M: Rumors coming out of the conference say East Africa has been a major point of contention. Is this true?
B: East Africa has been a problematic area, yes.
M: How do you think the growth of our overseas empire will affect the German homeland? Will the average German see any benefits?
B: The point of this growth overseas is so that the German people can reap the benefits. Currently we are in the process of making it easier for the average Germans to move more easily to our colonial holdings and make a profit there if they wish. In addition to that our current holdings are in the process of being reorganized to better allow the export of raw materials from them, to Germany.
M: Other powers have been known to make attempts to assimilate the natives in their colonies into their respective cultures. Does Germany have any such plans?
B: This was an issue discuss that was also brought up in the Berlin Conference. We as enlightened people have an obligation to spread our knowledge and faith to the savages in Africa and hopefully bring them out of the darkness, so to speak. If we do not, then we will have failed ourselves.
M: So the colonial empire should be mutually beneficial to the Germans and natives alike?
B: My first concern is my own people, but yes it will also benefit the natives.
M: And one last question. How is the Kaiser? Have you spoken to him recently?
B: The Kaiser is well and in good spirits. We have been working very closely on these issues and he is rather pleased with the progress that has been made in both the Conference and other matters.
M: Excellent news. Let him know us at the Tageblatt wish him good health. Chancellor it has been an honor and privilege to speak with you on these manners. The staff and readers of the Tageblatt thank you for being so informative. We hope to have a follow up interview sometime in the future.
B: Of course, and your welcome.

As I stood up to shake the Chancellor’s hand, I was handed a sketch of a map of Africa showing the divisions of the continent among the powers present. As one can see on the map, the nations of Liberia and Abyssinia (Ethiopia) have been left independent. To our uninformed readers, this is probably due their acceptance of Christianity and significantly higher level of development than in other African states. Morocco was left as is as well; this is due to their treaties with the French and Americans. Of particular note on this map is East Africa. It is evident there truly is some conflicts over this area, as it seems quite a bit of redrawing has been done, however the area for the most part appears to be in German hands for now.*
*For a follow up article please see the next page

Spoiler :

Crisis in the Indian Ocean: Did the Conference really avert conflict?, Maximilian Müller-Jabusch
About two months after my interview with Chancellor Bismarck, word reached the Tageblatt of an unfolding crisis in the Middle East, East Africa and Indian Ocean. Our correspondent stationed at the German consulate in Zanzibar sent word to us that an uprising of Pro-Omani forces, unhappy with the German-Zanzibari treaty, have taken possession of the port and assisted a force of about four brigades of British Royal Marines in landing. The British marines and rebels subsequently forced the Sultan to abdicate in favor of a new monarch who immediately threw out the German treaty in favor of one surrendering most of the mainland to Britain, just before declaring himself a vassal of Oman. Two and a half weeks later, and behind schedule due to being refused fuel in Mozambique, a German fleet consisting of a battleship, multiple cruisers and over 10 brigades, headed by Konteradmiral Hans von Koester, arrived to find the situation. The British commander, Vice Admiral John Baird, declined to allow the Germans to make port in Zanzibar and subsequently told them to depart to Dar Es Salaam. The German fleet, unaware of what to do next aimed its guns at the city, while the British did the same with their artillery stationed on the island. What followed next was a multiple day standoff between the powers in which neither dared to fire a shot. After three days of sitting outside the city and low on supplies, Koester began to contemplate storming the city but just as he began to prepare, word reached him that a larger British fleet was arriving on their flank while a smaller force from India, armed fresh troops, was also on its way. Understanding that the odds were no longer in his favor, Koester complied with the British order and left for Dar Es Salaam. Upon arriving in the city however, the Germans were horrified to find the area in chaos. After consulting with some of the inhabitants it became apparent that the root of the chaos was a slave rebellion and amid the anarchy, three factions emerged: Pro-Omani forces, Pro-Zanzibari forces and independent Slavers fearing their businesses interests were threatened. The German forces sided with the pro-Zanzibari faction and were able to bring peace to the city, but reports say the countryside still remains a war zone.
(-1 German brigade, -6 Zanzibari brigades, -1 British Marine brigade, -3 Zanzibar slaver brigades)

Further adding to this confusing situation are recent reports coming out the Middle East from our correspondent Hugo Zöller in Alexandria. Despite Britain’s installation of a Pro-Omani leader in Zanzibar, another German force has landed in Qatar amid mild resistance after refueling in Oman. This action appears to be to enforce a recent treaty negotiating fishing rights in the area between the two Arab countries as well as a home base for German business interests in Persia. The Ottoman Empire, which had nominal rule over the peninsula, has yet to make a public statement.
(1 German brigade, Qatar annexed by Germany)

Writings from the journal of General François Oscar de Négrier, 2nd Brigade Tonkin Expeditionary Corps (France and Black Flag Army)

February 23, 1884
I have just arrived in the Tonkin colony and have been assigned to the 2nd Brigade of the Tonkin Expeditionary Corps. Despite the unfamiliar climate and some degree of anti-European sentiment, the French troops appear to be in good moral. I am also quite surprised with the quality of the native troops that have been assigned to my command. They are much better equipped then expected and despite the language barrier, obey orders very well.

August 14, 1884
Despite originally being assigned to take part in combat against the Chinese forces, our recent peace treaty with the Qing has made this unnecessary. Nonetheless I have been told that the war is not yet over as a well organized bandit force known as the Black Flag Army has refused to lay down its arms. With news that we will be combating an insurgency and not fighting off an invasion the moral of our troops appears to have dropped dramatically. Nonetheless I expect things will pick up within the next few weeks when our superior quality in battle becomes more apparent to them.

November 1, 1884
We have been assigned to relieve a surrounded Legionnaire force at Tuyen Quang in upper Tonkin. Rumor has it that Liu Yongfu, the much feared commander of the Black Flag Army, has taken personal command of his troops in the siege and is armed with over a thousand troops.

November 7, 1884
We have reached Tuyen Quang to find the small Legionnaire contingent surrounded and vastly outnumbered with traps and enemy irregulars widespread. The enemy has hesitated to engage us directly and is instead focusing on hit-and-run tactics. Despite my expectations that they would be in a desolate situation, the Black Flag Army knows the land well and also appears to be better funded than expected, even possessing some out-dated artillery.

November 9, 1884
I have received word from another French commander in the region that his brigade was recently attacked by a large irregular force and took significant casualties. Despite this, he also mentioned that a Black Flag Army scout was captured. Through some coercion techniques, the scout has revealed to us the Black Flag Army has succeeded in receiving funding from Chinese crime organizations by their exportation of Opium and other drugs to China. These drugs not only seem to keep their population complacent, but are also a driving force of the economy of the area. If we seek to destroy their funding we must target this! I have sent word to the colonial governor and consul in Shanghai to investigate this.

December 3, 1884
We have made a major push into Black Flag territory, and have succeeded capturing some of their major poppy fields. Despite this, we took higher than expected casualties in the offensive and lost many good men. Our force at Tuyen Quang remains under siege, however the legionnaires continue to hold strong and have defended against multiple attacks. My message to the governor has been delivered and he has authorized the destruction of all poppy fields captured and has also given orders for the production of granaries and the delivery of food shipments to the peasant farmers as compensation. The Peasants appear to be happy with this but I continue to sense layer of mistrust within their smiles and thankfulness.

December 19, 1884
An attempt to make a final push against the Black Flag Army force surrounding Tuyen Quang and end the war by the end of the year went awry. Our forces were admittedly poorly organized going into the battle, and a mole within our ranks has succeeded in relaying false messages between commanders attempting to coordinate the attack. The mole has since been captured however casualties continue to be high on both sides. Our botched attack has not only allowed the Black Flag Army to put even more pressure on Tuyen Quang but to expand their territory north and west as well. Despite all of this, Tuyen Quang continues to hold out.
(-2 French Marine brigades, -4 French infantry brigades, -1 BFA infantry brigade, -8 BFA irregular brigades, -1 Agriculture EP from BFA)

Selected articles and headlines from Le Petit Parisien, September 1884 (France)

-French colonies in North Africa expanded, tribes resist (-1 French infantry brigade in Senegal, -1 cavalry brigade in Cote D’Ivoire)
-Malagasy soldiers raid French outpost on Madagascar after fears of French aggression. Attack is repulsed. (-1 Merina infantry brigade)

A Bar at the Folies-Bergère by Édouard Manet, Review by Stéphane Mallarmé
Spoiler :
This work by Édouard Manet features a scene from the popular Parisian Nightclub Folies Bergère and centers on an attractive barmaid. Despite Manet’s extreme use of detail to bring the nightclub to life, the main areas of interest are quite well hidden. Note that the beverages being served are Pale Bass Ale. This perhaps suggests an English tourist sits on the other side of the counter. It should also be noted this is where Manet has chosen to leave his signature. Is this Manet’s attempt to take the age-old practice of self promotion to a new level? One final but major peculiarity also exists within painting and becomes obvious as soon as one realizes that it is in fact a mirror directly behind the barmaid. If one understands there is a mirror in the background, the older woman depicted behind the barmaid should be her reflection given her posture and stance, yet this is clearly not the case. Knowing Manet personally, I don’t believe this to be a fault in perspective. I believe this is meant to portray something of a double-reality or perhaps it is as simple as an attempt to show us a drunken man’s perception of the world.

Selected articles and headlines from Neue Freie Presse, November 1884 (Austria-Hungary)

-Unified Astro-Hungarian Army Bureau created; All new equipment issued (+1 Army Quality)
-Serbian Cattle Plague devastates Hungarian agriculture.
-Serbian terrorist cell with alleged plans to assassinate Archduke Karl Ludwig stamped out in Novia Pazar.

United States of Greater Austria?, Guido von List
Across the whole Empire a single political issue remains on every citizen’s minds: this issue of the creation of third full kingdom for the Slavs in the Habsburg Empire. The creation of a tripartite monarchy is perhaps the single most polarizing issue the Empire has faced since the creation of the Hungarian Kingdom seventeen years ago; nonetheless it is the Hungarians who have been delaying the process of further division for almost a year now. Emperor Franz Josef, who was convinced for the need of this after hearing of the growing instability in the Balkans, gave his blessing on the issue on the condition the Hungarian Prime Minister also approved. Though after several meetings between the Hungarian Prime Minister Kálmán Tisza, the Austrian Prime Minister Eduard von Taaffe and the Emperor himself have occurred, little progress has made. Tisza claims that the Hungarians already feel neglected and that issues such as the plague striking Hungarian livestock must be dealt with before he will approve giving any autonomy to the Slavs. Nonetheless the issue remains on table and some are even speaking of the idea for a Federalized “United States of Greater Austria” if the creation of a third kingdom takes place. To rouse popular opinion in favor of the new plan and perhaps drawing inspiration from the on-going American Presidential Elections, the Emperor has made a tour of the country meeting with local leaders and businessmen, greatly endearing him to the people.

Selected articles and headlines from Asahi Shimbun, December 14, 1884 (Japan)

-Government introduces three year compulsory education program.
-Police Academy founded in Tokyo, smaller schools founded across nation.
-Anglo-Japanese Treaty concluded.

Korea following our lead?, Riichi Ueno
A week ago pro-modernization forces in Korea stormed the Royal Palace in Seoul, captured King Gojong at gunpoint, forced him to sign a away his nominal vassalage to China and agree to initiate rapid industrialization. Queen Min, the King’s consort attempted to contact the Chinese embassy but was similarly captured before word arrived to the Chinese commander in the area, Yuan Shikai. When word of the coup’s success reached the Korean Army, fighting broke out amongst the ranks between pro-modernization and pro-Joseon forces, bringing the nation to the brink of civil war. The fighting within the army was eventually quelled after King Gojong made a public statement accepting the establishment of a new legislature. Despite this feelings remain tense in Korea as no one is sure what will take place next. The Qing Empire, held up with events taking place at home has not yet issued a statement regarding the incident.
(-3 Korean infantry brigades)

Selected articles and headlines from The New York Tribune, 27 November 1884 (USA)

-49th Session of Congress: Republicans continue to control Senate, Democrats to continue control House.
-Leading economists announce Recession coming to an end.
-The Washington Monument is completed in Washington, D.C
-The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain hits shelves

Cleveland Elected 22nd President after Heated Election, Charles Anderson Dana
After what has been without a doubt one of the most controversial and dirty presidential contests in the country’s history, Grover Cleveland has been elected the Twenty-Second President of the United States of America. Cleveland and his running mate, famed Civil War General and former presidential candidate himself, Winfield Scott Hancock won the election with just 204 Electoral Votes and 49% of the popular vote to Republican James G. Blaine’s 197 Electoral Votes and 47.2% of the popular vote. Third Party candidates Benjamin Franklin Butler of the Greenback Party and John St. John of the Prohibition Party each pulled approximately 2% of the popular vote and while they failed to secure any sway in the Electoral College, were nonetheless very influential to the contest as a whole.

Key to Cleveland’s victory was his ability to win in his home-state of New York. While Blaine’s running mate Thomas C. Platt put the state back into play after what many thought was a lost cause for the Republicans after being renounced by the Mugwumps, it was not in New York City where Cleveland had his greatest victory but in Upstate and by proxy through John St. John. Despite an initial poor performance, St. John and the Prohibition Party were encouraged to stay in the race by Cleveland. This proved vital in the end as Blaine who was originally expected to perform very well Upstate lost enough support in the area to allow Cleveland to take the state as a whole after a recount of votes in Lower Manhattan. Some have stated the recount might have been the Political Bosses of Tammany Hall exerting their influence leading to some tarnishing of Cleveland’s “incorruptible” persona before even taking office. Despite losing the state of New York in the end, Platt nonetheless proved himself as a fine choice as a running mate, as his influence in the region allowed Blaine to win in the smaller, but nonetheless contested states of New Jersey and Connecticut. The most surprising part of the election was the closeness of the two candidates in Illinois where Cleveland performed much better than expected. This has been attributed to the popularity of his running mate, General Hancock, in the Chicago area.
Spoiler :

Selected excerpts from the Academic Journal Science, Published December 5th 1984, New York, New York (International)

The International Meridian Conference, Samuel Rutherford
The International Meridian Conference was held this year and as one of the forty-something geographers, mathematicians and astronomers from all over the world invited to Washington by President to Arthur to take part, I was awarded a unique experience in which the fate of the world literally was in my hands…Though there was some objection from France and Brazil on the matter, the final location for the Meridian was eventually chosen through the center of the Greenwich Observatory in London, England; a fitting location given that too many people, the city is the centre of not only the political, but academic world as well….The final resolutions of the conference can be found below.
Spoiler :
1. That it is the opinion of this Congress that it is desirable to adopt a single prime meridian for all nations, in place of the multiplicity of initial meridians which now exist.
2. That the Conference proposes to the Governments here represented the adoption of the meridian passing through the centre of the transit instrument at the Observatory of Greenwich as the initial meridian for longitude.
3. That from this meridian longitude shall be counted in two directions up to 180 degrees, east longitude being plus and west longitude minus.
4. That the Conference proposes the adoption of a universal day for all purposes for which it may be found convenient, and which shall not interfere with the use of local or standard time where desirable.
5. That this universal day is to be a mean solar day; is to begin for all the world at the moment of mean midnight of the initial meridian, coinciding with the beginning of the civil day and date of that meridian; and is to be counted from zero up to twenty-four hours.
6. That the Conference expresses the hope that as soon as may be practicable the astronomical and nautical days will be arranged everywhere to begin at midnight.
7. That the Conference expresses the hope that the technical studies designed to regulate and extend the application of the decimal system to the division of angular space and of time shall be resumed, so as to permit the extension of this application to all cases in which it presents real advantages.

Bone Wars, Originally Published by Alfred Shetland for the Boston Naturalists Journal
A race for the fossils of giant lizards, coined Dinosaurs, by English biologist Sir Richard Owen, is underway all over the world with the discovery and possessions of the bones becoming almost a matter of national prestige. Though the competition for the bones is most heated between two American paleontologists, Othniel C. Marsh of the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia and Edward D. Cope of Peabody Museum at Yale, scientists and explorers from all over the industrialized world are taking part…One of the most prevalent places for the unearthing of these dinosaurs seems to be the American West, where a horned theropod, labeled Ceratosaurus was just discovered last September… In order to “keep up” with the Americans, Paleontologists from Britain, France and Russia have begun to search domestically and within their overseas empires for similar “hotspots”….The discovery of these dinosaurs, appearing to be more advanced than modern reptiles, has lead some academics to speculate that species can “devolve” and further question the theories outlined in Charles Darwin’s “On the Origin of Species”…Photographs of the fossils and artistic interpretations of these magnificent creatures can be found on the next page.

Spoiler :

The Colonization of Africa: An Opportunity for Zoologists, Gerrit Smith Miller Jr., Smithsonian Institute
Regardless of your political beliefs on imperialism and the colonization of Africa, the Congo Conference, for the purposes of regulating trade and control of the Dark Continent presents a wonderful opportunity for zoologists who wish to classify the hundreds, perhaps thousands of undiscovered species native to the area. While before, the interior of this vast continent was unmapped and filled with dangerous savages, now with European control gradually extending, it is much safer for men of science to travel and even have access to Western goods and services…Hence I not only encourage the scientific community to put aside their political beliefs and take part this explosion of scientific data, but I invite the governments of the involved nations to call upon their best minds for assistance wherever possible.

An Argument against War: A Scientific Perspective, Dr. David Starr Jordan, University of Indiana
Although I consider myself a man of science and not a politician, from a logical standpoint one cannot support the concept war in any sense. If the objective of war is to kill the enemy’s soldiers, until they have no more or until they submit, then it can be logically concluded that the governments of nations will attempt to recruit the strongest and most able men they can to fight, putting the best of what they have in harm’s way…Indeed, just as it would any less advanced organism, it only takes a single bullet to kill or incapacitate even the strongest man, possibly removing him from the human gene pool…It can also be noticed that when one looks at the less advanced species, the rodents and reptiles they are also amongst the most violent. Mice and snakes make no distinctions between members of their own species and they have even been known to eat their young; an action completely backward in the advancement of their own species yet eerily comparable to a nation sending its sons off to die…It can thus be said that war is not the way for a nation’s advancement. It is undeniably in the best interests for a nation to keep its smartest and strongest at home where they can prosper and reproduce and not to send them off to die in foreign lands.

Celluloid Film: The Next Step for Photography, Originally Published by Abraham Bogardus for the St. Louis Photographer
It is rare we hear of a major scientific advancement coming out of Eastern Europe, but in Romania, a country which only received autonomous rule from the Turkish Empire three years ago, a photographic revolution is about to take place due to the work of chemist Emanoil Bacaloglu of the Romanian Academy. Although American inventors Thomas Edison and George Eastman have been experimenting with the concept of paper film for a number of years now, Bacaloglu’s use of translucent, flexible strips of Nitrocellulose allows for much cheaper means of photography than the glass plates currently in use and it also has a minimum loss in quality for the picture...John Hammond, a Canadian photographer working for the Canadian Pacific Railway, who has been in correspondence with Eastman has also claimed to have made similar leaps in photographic film however the quality of his pictures still does not appear to be up to the level of Bacaloglu’s.
(+Ultramodern Photographic Cameras for Romania, +Modern Photographic Cameras for Canada, USA, +Standard Photographic Cameras for Industrialized Nations)

Selected headlines from Around the World, 30 December 1884 (International)

-Railroad Industry continues to boom across the Globe.
-Southeast-Asian country of Mindanao welcomes Western investors.
-Romanian Steel Company Topire founded with heavy government and foreign investment.
-Belgium purchases Congo Free State from King Leopold II. Transfer leads to unrest in North and East.
-Argentinean tariff stimulates growth while also increasing local prices.
-Portugal takes Gaza under protectorate. Armament sales provoke war between African Chiefdoms.
-Mexico announces massive social infrastructure plan.

Housekeeping:

-Those that did not send orders will have to reconfirm if they still wish to play otherwise their countries are open.

-I have decided that I will not list ships other than gunboats in colonies. This is because it makes it very hard to read and very confusing for myself and probably other players as well. You can still send ships to colonies and they will have an effect, they simply will not be listed.

-Let me know what you think of the update and please be very honest. I tried for a very different format than usual so I'm quite curious to see what people think. If enough people dislike the way I am doing things, I will be happy to go to a more traditional format.

-If you didn't get mentioned in the update or you notice that you did not have any real change in your stats (very few of you had major changes) don't fret. Many of you had very good economic/infrastructure programs but because there was so many and they were all fairly similar (and boring to be honest) I chose not to write about them. Keep investing and you will see some results over time.

-You will notice that because this is done in a journal style, there is bias in the update. The only 100% truth is what is shown in stats. This is to reflect the actual confusion and differing views of real life events. I plan on adding an Espionage and Intelligence stat that will help in deciphering what is really taking place. Suggestions on how to do this are welcomed and encouraged.

-I'd like to thank Kentharu for the interview with Bismarck. I plan on doing one of these per update so if you would like to do something similar with one of your leaders, PM me and we can set up a time and date in the chat or messenger. It will be on a first-come-first-serve basis.

-I'd also like to thank Matt0088 for being very fair and pleasant with the USA election deal. Both of your orders sets were very good and I invite you to take any other open country. I'd particularly like to have you as Brazil, the Netherlands, Spain, Chile, Denmark or Greece.

-If you see any mistakes let me know. This is my first update in a few months so it might very well be sketchy in parts.

Map
Spoiler :

Attachments

• 1885 map.png
    1885 map.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 427
Great update, but I have to nitpick.
1) That's not Mombasa, Mombasa is part of Zanzibar. That's the independent statelet that I completely forgot about.
2) The treaty did not give us the coasts, it specifically said that Zanzibar retained control of the coasts. Britain received Mombasa and the interior.

Great update, but I have to nitpick.
1) That's not Mombasa, Mombasa is part of Zanzibar. That's the independent statelet that I completely forgot about.
2) The treaty did not give us the coasts, it specifically said that Zanzibar retained control of the coasts. Britain received Mombasa and the interior.

I apologize this was all rooted in my confusion on the area for whatever reason. (I think I did that part when I was really tired.)

No problem, it's been awhile and I forgot to requote the treaty in the international section of my orders, so it must've been hard to doublecheck.

From The German Empire
To The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

We demand that you remove your forces from Zanzibar IMMEDIATELY. We are considering your assault on the Sultanate of Zanzibar to be an act of war and we are prepared to respond as such. We have a signed treaty with the Sultanate of Mutual Protection and we will act on that treaty if you do not remove your forces.

@bombshoo: get on #nes, you are needed.

Should my construction of textile manufactories effect the quality of my "Commercial Products" stat? Or my "Industrial Complexes" one? Because I don't think either were effected.

Should my construction of textile manufactories effect the quality of my "Commercial Products" stat? Or my "Industrial Complexes" one? Because I don't think either were effected.

It will be affected over time. The techniques and money have to disseminate across the country and consumers have to gain more awareness as well. Techs take quite a bit of investment and only a handful of countries had any changes this turn. Don't worry you'll get there eventually.

From The German Empire
To The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

We demand that you remove your forces from Zanzibar IMMEDIATELY. We are considering your assault on the Sultanate of Zanzibar to be an act of war and we are prepared to respond as such. We have a signed treaty with the Sultanate of Mutual Protection and we will act on that treaty if you do not remove your forces.

Good sir, do not send out ultimatums willy nilly. Britain's forces in Zanzibar are there for the purpose of restoring order after a group of slavers, seeing the imminent civilization of their nation at the hands of our two powers, attempted to seize control. The new sultan requested British aid, and we provided. Do attempt to correct your national newspapers on the proper course of events. We seek German assistance in fighting back the pro-slaver rebellions throughout Zanzibar, and reinstating the authority of the Sultan. We're sure that, in his gratitude, he'll find some way to reward Germany, but as is the sudden incursion of German troops, seemingly in support of the rebels, has led him to abrogate the former treaty of mutual protection he had with you. We're sure we can convince him to compromise and restore some of your privileges if you cooperate with Anglo-Zanzibari forces.

It's most disturbing that German troops have made such a major incursion into territory sold to Britain by the Sultan of Zanzibar. We are willing to give permission for them to pass through our territory again in order to return to your protectorate, however, and will overlook the matter.

From the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
To the German Empire

We are glad that we could come to such a speedy compromise, the diplomatic skills of the Iron Chancellor are much appreciated. We welcome the assistance of German troops in restoring order, and implementing the division of East Africa that we proposed at the Berlin Conference without further inter-European fighting.

Top Bottom