Mini-Game: Baucus - Armies of Honour

Update 0

The light coldness of the morning fog slowly lifted as the sun rose higher, now the day was truly beginning. Footsteps sounded along the forest paths, bearing marks of rhythm. When they came out of the woods, their blades shone in the bright light. These soldiers would change the day today. Fighting for their king, they would prove that he alone was worthy to rule this region. Now, all that was to do was fight... And the king came forth, holding a map in his hands. Looking at it for some time, he then gestured at his soldiers; and they began marching in different directions. Now, with his mastery of military combat, the king would slay the enemy king and rule the whole of this region!

King Odopha is a king of the rightful ones. Being the descendant of a long lineage, he has ruled his home province for two decades. He believes in honour, and in the well-being of his serfs. He has previously proven in combat, and is truly wise of life, having a lot of experience from it. His scars prove the marks he bear from the battlefield, but he has fought his way for the sake of finally uniting his nation, which he now stands ready for, only having to deal with one last enemy.

King Lee is charismatic, and has been quite a face in poor regions of the nation. Most of the time he wanders around on his own, greeting people at random. He is known as a very lusty person, getting into a number of romantic scandals in his life. His strife for power was initiated a couple of years ago, where he finally proclaimed himself king and raised an army of peasants and rogues. Dispersing of several enemies, he now stood before the fight of his destiny.

Diamond of Glens is a local duke who has aspired to have quite some influence on the aristocracy. He is a beatiful person with a gentle tongue, and has appeared to receive many friends in between the nobles. However, a darker side of him exists, him slyly keeping it a secret. Diamond is very ambitious, and will do anything to reach his goals - including murder. Now he will see if his skills and his tongue can strike down his enemy.

Prince Urt is a sturdy man, having travelled the mountains north of the region. He has seen many cultures, and as such is wise enough to sit on his rightful throne. He has always had a warm feeling for magic - it's secrets, uses, and power - and has ambitions of founding magic academies as well as learning it himself. He wants the throne, and will use great might in the shape of thundering clouds to archieve his ends.

ORDERS ARE DUE THIS SUNDAY.

Yes, two days. If you send orders today, there will be an update tomorrow, though, so hurry up. :p

Damn, and Daft, I accidentantly deleted your orders. Can you resend? >_>

Great artworks! :D

I will resend my orders and they will be even more awesome this time!

Well, my awesome orders actually consist of a map with a few arrows drawn on.

BTW that assasin has really freaked me out, man.

Update 1

The ocean breeze and the sound of the waves were what made him so tense; not the battle ahead of him. Looking at his band of soldiers, Odopha was proud, and he didn't stand reluctant for long. He smiled at his soldiers, then gestured at them. Bowing in front of him, they swiftly began moving through the terrain, soon to be gone. To his right, Sipha stood with her bow, and to his left, Loran with his long spear. "Come," he said, "We'll be moving towards Spider Forest. In there, we'll be able to cover ourselves for some time... I know that Lee has archers, and even though they are mere hunters, they shouldn't be underestimated."

Leaving their camp, the green army of rogues had just eated the last meal before the fight. Lee had mounted his horse, and tried balancing the sword in his hand. Swinging it a bit, he felt confident that the battle would have a result of his delight. He laughed heartily as one of his archers approached him. "Metthew, what is it?" he asked. The hunter presented him for a small document. "This is Zeot's report," Metthew said, "He has apparently arrived at his destination. Also," he continued darkly, "It appears they have a flaming sword." Lee looked at the bowman with a confused look. "What gloves does he have? We need those for our army." Metthew stared at the king as he rode further ahead, talking loudly to himself.

Lohim rode towards the camp site; having just scouted the area, he had mapped out most landmarks and prepared the paper for his duke. Entering the camp, he found his king standing in his fine, white dress. "Good day, my liege," he said, bowing for the young duke. Diamond smiled at his adversary. "You have done well, friend," he said, "I have another task for you." After receiving orders, Lohim rode out again, this time to locate the enemy. Riding on the southern great plains, he felt the wind suddenly change direction. He halted his horse, it obviously being nervous. Something was wrong. A loud crack thundered throughout the sky, rain began falling, and he saw lightning against lightning smite and scar the soil around him. He turned the horse and tried riding for the woods; but a loud blast and a flash ran through him; then an intense pain. He felt his mount give in; it fell, and he fell of it as well, finding himself in a small dam. He made his way out, then laid there for a moment, in pain; but he would wait the storm out. He had survived the magic attack.

"The spell was succesful," Harbin said to prince Urt. Urt smiled, sure that one enemy was disposed of. "Good job, my friend," Urt said, then looked at the table ahead of him, the map showing the whole of the region. "I was really sad to learn that Lohim had joined sides with that snake duke of Glens," Urt said darkly, "He was a fine man, and a brave adventurer. May his soul travel in peace." Harbin was silent, but nod, then walked out of the field tent. Soon they would begin the assault as well; surely soon they would conquer the whole of the area. He hoped for the army's healer to return safely from his trip to the southern harbours.

ORDERS ARE DUE THIS MONDAY.

Yes, two days. If you send orders today, there will be an update tomorrow, though, so hurry up. :p

*warhorns sound in Spider Forest*

"Dishonourable Bandits of Lee, come nay further! Return to your homes, and accept the True King, else you will recieve grevious woundings this day."

As Noticed For All Players

I'm not sure that everyone has understood the combat system, and I forgot to post something that is now obviously important to say. This isn't personal, it's probably me who wasn't clear. :)

1) No Conditional Orders
And by Conditional Orders, I mean no orders fitting the "If X happens, then do Y" pattern. It's just too problematic to deal with. Just try to figure this out:

Player 1 orders: My spearman moves north if Player 2's knight doesn't move anywhere. If Player 2's knight moves, don't move the spearman.
Player 2 orders: My knight moves north if Player 1's spearman doesn't move anywhere. If Player 1's spearman moves, don't move the knight.

Therefore, orders shall always be consistent and inquestionable. I'm really sorry if it ruins anything, but my brain can't take it if I have to solve loops. All orders are bound to follow this pattern:

"Move the knight north, then attack the spearman."

2) Combat
I've already been asked to have archers and units attack an area to hit enemy units... While raining arrows over an area if units move into it seems logical in the real world, in this game, it doesn't compute. In order to attack a unit, one must have the attacking unit attack the zone the defending unit is in when you issue an order. That means, you can't range attack (archery, duh) the empty grasslands in case that the enemy spearman will enter it. In order to shoot that spearman, move into the grassland and attack the square he's in. Or, perhaps more clarified:

Battle Map
[ Zone ] [ Zone ] [ Zone ]

Units
[ Man ] [ Zone ] [ Archer ]

Attack
[ Man ]<-[ Archer ]<-[ Zone ]
Red colour indicates attack, blue indicates movement. Note that the attack will be rolle regardless of where the Man moves to during the same turn. I think I have made myself understood now. :)

3) Assassins
I have been horrifyingly unclear with the assassins, and I'll update it with the next round. No worries. I'll explain them for a bit now:
Invisibility - this is what I'll codename their inherent ability for now - as they can't be seen. Now, how to spot him? The assassin is invisible until either he attacks himself, or he ends a turn in the same zone another unit ends a turn. This will not cause combat though, as no units ordered it (And can't due to the combat rules you know). Also, when discovered at any point, they'll not be invisible again for the rest of the game.
Can't defend - this might be quite unclear as well. The thing is, when a unit enters combat, each unit will attemp to attack each other. Assassins roll for defense when they attack another unit - but when attacked, they will always recieve damage.

I think that was what I wanted to say. Any more questions anyone?

(Also, I'd like to add that the orders deadline has been extended to Tuesday in case anybody would want to revise their orders. It's my fault, sorry. Of course, if I get all orders in before then, I'll update.)

Please post in this thread if you want to stick with the orders you sent for turn 2. :)

Lurker Comment: If Kings ignore morale when attacking, do any units accompanying them when they move into a zone do the same?

Well... No. But the King's morale stacks with the unit, helping the unit to enter the zone. Just like the regular morale stack. :)

(Good to know you're lurking Shadowbound. :))

If it did, that'd be an interesting incentive to use Kings on the front line.

@lord_joakim, I think I understand :) I have no revisions or additions to make from our PM exchange.

If it did, that'd be an interesting incentive to use Kings on the front line.

The game is still developing. I'd be interested in any suggestions at all, so I'll consider this. It makes sense - I, myself, would rather have the king as a tool you could use, as he is somewhat powerful, but it is hazardous to do, and the hazard doesn't make up for his strength. I'll think about adding that ability.

My hesitation grounds in that I don't know whether adding too much abilities on a unit as central as a king would make him too playing style-specific - which he would be if I had made him Mounted (He rides a horse, so duh, but I didn't want him to count as cavalry. Spearmen rarely are epic to die against, Sparta aside), or if I made him too powerful, forcing the player to use him for profit. So I'm still hesitant. At least I won't make him another assassin.

@lord_joakim, I think I understand :) I have no revisions or additions to make from our PM exchange.

Good, good. :)

I just did a mistake. Was waiting for Charles' orders until I discovered he sent them first. My bad.

Update tomorrow.

Since I have no moral authority to ask/nag for updates, I was wondering if anyone here would like to do it on my behalf?

Top Bottom