Mazera Mega Story Thread

Ericai's Journal, Khazak Exploration.

Day 1 - Arrival
Rather late in the day to start work. I chose as my own to settle in a rather nice home on the outskirts of Khazak itself. while I rather like this place, I may move closer to the gates to the underhome if it'll aid my work. my preliminary analysis shows no sign of what killed (for lack of a better word) the Khazak.

Day 2 - The Vault
I chose as the place to start working the vault. it was the center of all khazak cities, so I reasoned it would be a good place to start. I found it closed and sealed tight. No way in. at least for your common adventurer. Fortunately I am not a common adventurer. Being of the Serpentine race has it's advantages. I am more flexible than any Human, and Members of my class have an ability to scale walls. So I made it into the vault without all that much effort through air vents, to compact for any dwarf, and placed to high for even the most limber of svartalfar mages. and the Vault was Empty. to those who don't know, that NEVER happens. it means the dwarves left intentionally.

Note: on the floor of the vault, like in every dwarven vault, was the sign of kilmorph. However, further analysis showed that the straight spokes of kilmorph's sign had been carved to have an eye and mouth, and a tongue, creating a series of snakes... radiating from a central spoke.

Anotation: Snake = Mammon? evidence?

another note: as a Serpentine, I find myself immune to the whispers of the damned emerging from the underhome. I will leave that level to the last part of the exploration.

CUALLI DECLARE WAR ON SHEAIM, RITUALS CONTINUE

In what must be a very frantic move, Miquiztli has declared war on their allies the Sheaim after several of their villages were burned down with evidence of pyre zombies as the culprits. The Sheaim are now on their own against four nations and Os-Gabella has begun her rituals to summon Abashi, the Black Dragon. The first few have already been completed and the smell of sulfur coming from Grottiburg can be smelled as far as the Grigori lands. These recent rituals have increased activity in a manor in Kwythellar named Fietz Manor. Now, skeletons have begun pouring out of the manor and Kuriotate guards are having to hold them back almost at all times. The section in which the manor is located has been sectioned off from the rest of the city.​

Spoiler :
Lord D'tesh, God-King and Divine Will of the D'teshi Empire, looked down upon his Legion, and he was pleased. Very pleased. From a small group of Wraiths, able only to convert tiny bands of adventurers, it had grown to a mighty Legion able to rival any nation of Mazera.

Skeletal Lizards now formed the bulk of his Legion, culled from the pitiful Cualli. Ranging ahead of this core were massive groups of Wraiths, invisible death. Binders, whom he had left small amounts of free will, formed the spine, repairing any damage done to the skeletal bodies of his warriors. These Binders were all that remained of those Amurites and Kahdi foolish enough to scout his Wastelands.

Turning, he shifted his attention to Thanatos, the massive Angel of Death in command of the Legion, and a servant of his ally Laroth. Thanatos remained unbound to D'tesh's will, an unpleasant circumstance tolerated solely because of the need for a capable General.

"Thanatos, what news do you bring me?" he demanded.

Thanatos replied, bowing, "My Lord, our Wraiths report that the Cualli have taken the bait, and declared war on the Sheiam. They are now at war with all bordering lands, and none will come to their defense... The way forward is clear."

"Excellent." D'tesh turned back to his Legion, continuing, "Position the Legion along the entirety of the western Cualli border. Convert everything in your path. Casualties mean nothing; the Binders can reanimate them once the Watchers have defiled the land. Go, and do not return without Miquiztli's head."

"Yes, my Lord."

The wraiths are just what I'm calling the recon line for lack of a better name, btw, not the summon.

Ericai's Journal, Khazak Exploration.

Day 3

Nothing of Note today, explored Some outer houses, for lack of better possibilites. sign of Kilmorph similarly defaced nearly everywhere I've seen.

Day 4

more defaced signs. Nothing else of note.

Day 5

Defaced signs.

Note: Dreamed of chained Fire. Notable only because the Lizardkin rarely dream.

Day 6

Horror: Explored the Main temple of Kilmorph today, and found the first signs of violence. Dried blood coated the entry chamber, but I found no bodies, though I searched the vestibule thoroughly. The Main hall of worship was a different story. When I walked in to the hall, I saw instantly that it was occupied. Every pew was occupied by a seated dwarf. yet all was still, and a certain, dry stench filled the air. Not a stench of rotting meat, that I would have been prepared for, but rather a smell like that of Gold gone wrong. I went towards the last row of pews, and drew my sword. I touched on of the dwarves, tensing in anticipation of movement, movement of any kind.
Nothing.
so, I went around to the dwarve's front, and saw that on the dwarve's face was drawn the Corrupted sign of Kilmorph. running towards the altar, I saw that every dead dwarf in the place had the same symbol drawn on it's face. adult and children (I couldn't destinguish the sexes, obviously, but I could only assume that most of the population of Khazak was there.
Layed out on the alter, gutted and eviscerated, lay a dwarf in the robes of a high pontiff of the chruch of Kilmorph.

hold, i hear movment out in the dark.

Spoiler An Excerpt from "Final Minutes of a Svartalfar Spy", a Grigori novel/borderline propoganda piece that enjoyed widespread popularity and public support for years after it's release :

Volanna, agent of the Winter Court, had information empires might well wage war for. If she returned home with this alone, she would be rewarded richly enough to live out the rest of life attended by however many slaves she desired. What she had observed , hidden by shadow magics during the Grigori high council meeting... what she knew on her own, as a child in the dark woods of the East where no human or elfe or any other race dared to go less they be cursed into something less... that knowledge might decide a war.

But at some point, she had made the most deadly mistake any spy could. Or maybe it was her most wondrous accidents.

Volonna had gone native, and for a kingdom of humans and briefer mortals who could barely look at a forest without wondering how best to exploit it. Oh, how her sisters would laugh at her now if they knew.

If she had fallen in love, the answer from her training would have been simple. A touch of meg, a sprinkle of other herbs, and a final, deadly kiss would have seen her beloved tormentor exit this world.

But it wasn't love. Oh, she had her suitors, whether upfront men or shy young boys who were more endearing than obnoxious, but passion and bed wasn't what made her hesitate.

If it had been friendship, she could have easily disuaded whoever it was until she was alone and free once again. Or perhaps not: Sidhelle, one of the last Ljosalfar and a champion of the Grigori people, was not one to let others deter her friendships. How they had become friends was contrieved: Volonna had poised as a disident of the Svartalfar, and when Sidhelle had sought to mend the historic animosity Volonna had reciprocated in order to deepen her cover.

But while they had become true friends and were as close as sisters in some ways, Sidhelle alone would not have been enough.

It was... it was hard to explain, because it was everything and nothing about the Grigori that made her want to ignore home and hearth. Or maybe it was everything that they were nothing about.

There were no looming shadows in the Grigori towns. While you would be fool to trust a stranger in a dark alley unless it was in Junon and Cabal's ravens were around, those were earthly, mundane dangers. You never had to wonder if there was something darker and supernaturally sinister in those shadows, waiting for you to drop your guard and take your life.

There was no racial character either, not any more. Though they had once been a human nation like any other, the Grigori nation's current makeup was as much a matter of chance as anything else. Unlike at home, where elves were given the best (and the ruling elves the best of that) on basis of being elves while everyone else was enslaved and robbed on account of not being elves, the Grigori had ceased to be a 'human' nation since Cassiel's Declaration of Acceptance. Where Orcs and Goblins had once been the enemy that united the nations of Mazera, they now walked the market places with few giving so much as a second thought. It wasn't so much benevolence, as might be found in the Eloheim, as mercantile objectivity: a Gnoll's gold was as good as anyone else's, and an Orc could find his place if he did the work of two men and a goblin could make a name for himself if he could sneak through life. It remained fragile at times and tenuous at best, but sometimes she wondered when she might see elves as well walk these streets.

There was no state religion either. While that was a famous aspect of the Grigori, Volonna had lived through two different religions. Worshiping the god of nature had seemed right for a time until his defeat, but worshipping Esus had always been a game of shadows and suspicions. Did the Queen of the Winter Court trust you enough to ask for his blessing on your behalf, or would the Nightwatch show up at your dead one night and the next morning you would have disappeared? Would those secrets you whispered into His confidence stay in the shadows, or would they merely find their way to the highest bidder? There was no trust, and less camaraderie.

The Grigori, these people knew that the only ones they could trust was each other. Many hated or feared the gods too much to trust them ever again, but had far less hesitation in trusting eachother with their lives or more. She had heard stories from the front of how entire squads of Grigori would trade their lives for a handful of fellows trapped behind enemy lines. In the Svartalfar, those people would have been left to die, expected to take as many down with them as they could. But here they were rescued, and everyone expected to repay the favor.

She knew that trust. It was the same trust she had sought to take advantage of, had wrapped around her as a mantle as she had stayed and served in the palace. It had given her space for her magics, time for her spying. It had been warm, comforting, loved.

It had ensnared her as thoroughly as any chains or spider webbing ever could have.

If she went home, she would be a hero. The Grigori would be dealt a severe blow, and the Svartalfar granted a great boon now and forever. She would never have anything to fear... unless she became too popular, or her queen became jealous. To protect herself, she would have to bow her head even further into the dirt just to stay even.

Volonna had information empires would wage war for, and all she could bear to do was give it back. So she snuck once more through the palace. No, not snuck. She walked as if she belonged, and no one gave her a second though. The only sneaking she had done had been to use her magics to sneak into Cassiel's chambers.

The Angel sat in a chair, hunched over as if asleep. At least, Volonna thought he was asleep. She had never asked, and Cassiel had never advertised just what he did in his chambers. She saw a simple bed, a practical desk, and a small table with a liqour cabinet. She saw a room that the local merchant likely would be ashamed to call his own. But it was typical of Cassiel. Kneeling down before him, Volonna gently spoke.

"My Lord. My Lord Cassiel."

"Volonna." How he managed to remember everyone he met had always amazed others. He just -knew- people, remembered people. It was part of what made him such a successful leader.

"My Lord," she repeated, confirming.

"You need not call me that," Cassiel reminded her as he did everyone else who insisted on calling him with proper respect.

It had always been a losing proposition.

"My Lord," she said a third time, ignoring him, "I have sinned and committed great crimes against you and the Grigori people. Though you bid me welcome and gave me hospitality in your land and palace, I sought to use it against you. I spied on you and your councils, Lord Cassiel, sought out your secrets. Many I have already passed on to the Queen of the Winter Court."

"This I know," Cassiel spoke. "I have long known that Svartalfar spies have been inserted in my kingdom and my palace. I have come to expect it, though I refrain from knowing who. But why do you tell me now?" asked Cassiel. "I see the dagger under your wrist. Have you come to assassinate me?"

Volonna looked aghast that she had forgotten to leave her weapon behind. Casting it aside, she knelt even lower, her head almost touching the ground in both regret and supplication.

"Never, Cassiel," she vowed. "I will never harm you or the Grigori ever again. I come to you because I can not stand to do so anymore. Punish me as you see fit, but I felt I had to confess." She looked at him with love, not romantic, but the love all Grigori held for their leader and for their culture. "The Grigori have come too far to be brought low by myself. I could never conquer the Grigori: they have conquered me." And she bowed her head again, waiting for him to call his guards.

But he didn't. Standing, he walked to his small table and withdrew a glass, pouring beer into it. He offered her one, but merely set it down when she refused to budge. Helping himself to another glass, he sat at the table and looked at her with a contemplative gaze.

"I do not think punishment will be necessary," he said at last, but was not smiling at her surprise. "Forgiveness for past wrongs and beliefs is at the heart of my teachings. If we refused and persecuted all those who had opposed us, we would have been crushed long ago."

Volonna's face slowly lit up as she realized what Cassiel was saying.

"You will keep your name," Cassiel decreed, "so that you might always remember what you were and what you came to be. You came to us a spy, but tonight I welcome you as one Grigori to another."

Volonna bowed, hiding the first tears of happiness that she had had in nearly a hundred years. "Thank you, My Lord," she whispered. Cassiel grunted uncomfortably.

"You should also remember one of my first teachings," he instructed. "Namely, please don't act like that around me. Come, sit at my table and drink."

Volonna had the sense to be embarrassed, but rose to her feet and did so. As she enjoyed the liqour down her throat, Cassiel looked at her much more seriously and with a calculating gaze that might well have decided his judgement beforehand.

"As a Grigori," he said, "I hope we can trust you to tell us what you know. Just what did you hear, Volonna, that you would not give up?"

And Volonna did. All of it. What she had heard them attempting. And she told of her childhood stories, of the dark mansion in the woods where the moon howled and men were cursed.

When Volonna eventually left, passing a pair of surprised and embarrassed guards after promising to do all that she could to expose any other Svartalfar spies in the palace, Cassiel was left to consider what had occurred. Just how close to disaster they had come... and how much closer to a type of salvation there were now.

Cassiel did not go back to sleep that night, if he ever had been asleep in the first place. Instead he considered, he wrote, and he sent a message via a long-distance hawk. What was done was done, and morning dawned. It was time to once again run a nation.

Spoiler Krinith Resplan :
"Welcome, Krinith." Dain invited the mage into his cluttered office. "I would like to thank you. Our cities are now safe because of your help. I would like to thank you very much."
"What for?" Krinith asked, looking around the room at Dain's scattered collection of Luchuirp mechanisms.
"For defending our cities. For scaring the Illians. For training Lorelei's archers.For the Firebows. For that, I would like to give you this." Dain walked over to a cupboard. He brought a staff back to the table. A slim, wooden staff with a rich, golden ring at the top. And, connected to the gold by a thin beam of deep red light, was a brilliant golden crystal. A flame was flickering inside of it. It radiated an aura of heat and power.
"What is it?" Krinith asked in awe.
"A scorched staff. A gift from the Malakims. I present it to you, and wish you a long and happy life."
"I can't possibly accept this."
Dain walked over to the window, whispered a spell and sat back down.
"I have a feeling that you will need this more than me. As dragons wake and the undead stir, we must be strong."
"What do you mean, the undead stir?"
"That's what the priests say." Dain pushed the staff to Krinith. As Krinith's hand grasped the handle, the room warmed considerably.
As Krinith went to leave, he heard a voice in the air.

I was meant for you, as you were meant for me.

Krinith walked out of the door, sunlight shining into the room. He opened the letter Dain had slipped to him, reading the thin, slanting writing on the page.

The Amurites thank you. I will not force you into our services any more. Go enjoy yourself.
Dain​

With a word of power, the letter caught fire and burnt, turning into ashes that were scattered in the wind.

Don't worry, I have plans, It's just that my internet was down all Weekend, and I'm going on a trip tomorrow. However, I have plans...

Map updated. Special thanks to lemonjelly. The arrows of the nation's color going into another nation shows a war between them. You should be able to figure it out.

CHISLEV AND BANNOR DECLARE PEACE

The Grigori have successfully mediated peace between the Chislev and Bannor nations. The Bannor can now focus on the Deadlands to assist the Elohim and Amurites with the Sheaim. The Chislev have also agreed to come to the aid of the Grigori against the Yokaido as soon as they rest their forces.​

Svartalfar Release Grigori Expansion Plans

Before their Grigori network was unraveled by a traitor, the Svartalfar were known to have infiltrated many levels of the Grigori government disguised as Ljosalfar refugees. In what she claims was the last treacherous plan to be smuggled out before the traitor struck, the Queen of the Winter Court warns of the following:

-The Grigori, though too constrained by the war to significantly settle much farther east lest their current defenses weaken, have been amassing and preparing settlers and negotiated with various immigrant societies for a rapid and significant east-ward expansion once an expected victory-peace with the Yokaido is gained.

-The Queen of the Winter Court warns that Cassiel is preparing a new and formidable offensive into the Yokaido lands. Though evidence and suggested means to overcome the current stalemate are sparse, she claims that Cassiel intends to neuter the Yokaido as they have threatened to do to the Grigori, and he will only accept peace at a steep price of claiming the entirety of the mountains range between them for defense and for Yokaido secrets, if not more. Of the Serpent Mountains, which the Yokaido have settled and mined since their appearance, she warns that they will be colonized by the Grigori and the natives enslaved and spread across the Grigori empire.

-Most worryingly, the Queen of the Winter Court also warns that Cassiel's offers of mediation are a feint, and that in exchange for a temporary truce along the Bannor-Chislev border, whichever side who helps the Grigori the most in their war against the Yokaido will see the Grigori return the favor and help the third after the Grigori-Yokaido war is concluded. She points that even with an unlikely total conquest of the Yokaido, the Grigori would still be smaller than most nations, but if they helped to divide and consume one of their larger neighbors...

Cassiel and his government have steadfastly denied or refused to even acknowledge these accusations, and instead claim the Svartalfar are attempting to disrupt the new peace between their countries. Though the Svartalfar message reinforces what the Yokaido suspected, it can't be said to have contributed much to their war effort, which has also been seeking a secret means for new attack.

Still, the Bannor people have reason to be concerned, and it could effect their attempt to support their Eloheim and Amurite allies. Just what they should do remains elusive, though. Ignore what could very well be an empty and baseless insinuation by the Winter Court? Re-garrison their border with both nations, when they had been at a stalemate just focusing against the Chislev?

Or should they, too, join the war against the Yokaido, and disprove/take advantage of any such secret agreement with the Chislev?

Cassiel has already instructed a trusted minister to send envoys to reassure the Bannor that their suspicions are unfounded. That the first envoy sent was an orc citizen, however... a racial/historical blindness? A diplomatic faux pas? Or a secret and ironic threat?

AMURITES ASK BANNOR TO STAY PEACEFUL​

Valledia the Even has asked the Bannor nation to stay peaceful in light of the Grigori's alleged plans to conquer. Valledia said that Cassiel is trustworthy and likeable, and that if he denies these plans, then it means that they don't exist. The fact that he sent an Orcish diplomat is just a way of him trying to show the Bannor citizens that they are not the monsters that they think they are.

Faeryl Viconia is said to be furious that the Amurites are supporting Cassiel. She has urged the Yokaido to 'listen to common sense and not trust that bunch of nerds.'

Varn Gosam applauded Valledia, saying that the light of Lugus shines upon the words of Cassiel, wheras all he can see of the Svartalfar are the shadows of Esus.

The Svartalfar empire are unhappy with both the Amurite and Malakim empires now. Did Valledia make Mazera a more peaceful place by backing Cassiel, or has she just made another enemy?

It wasn't so much rare for the Grigori Ministers to meet without Cassiel's attendence, in fact Cassiel had long ago wanted them to be able to function without him in case he were captured or killed, but it was unusual for such important matters of state to be discussed without him at least there to observe. Or maybe he did observe from a distance: what powers the arch angel had or utilized in his privacy were never known or asked about.

Prime Minister Esirce began the meeting with the most important question that could be answered that night.

"Deremei Diranth. Will he play?" Prime Minister Esirce asked, even after all this time skittish about discussing the politics of war. "When our operation begins," he asked, "will he also attack the Yokaido flank?"

Several of his ministers shifted uneasily. "Do we even know if there will be a campaign, Esirce?" one of them asked. "We still don't know if our envoy to the Forrest will be successful."

Esirce shook his head. "With or without hishelp," he said, "our generals have agreed that there won't be much better we can do than now. The Chislev are already coming through our lands, and they are unlikely to be satisfied with merely sitting in our garrisons all peacefully. We have prepared as much as we are able, and must cast aside our memories of the Invasion. We have Serpent Slayers and swordsmen with weapons of iron, not copper-wielding militia warriors. From the Amurites we learned the basics of mana, and since then we have learned enough of the magics of alteration to make our best a match for the Yokaido elite. And our scouts in Khazak doubt that anymore new technologies remain that are not incoded, and we can not gamble on breaking such codes soon."

"This, men and women, is as good a position as we can expect to get. Already we have been planning for the post-war, but for the post-war we must finish the war first. And so I ask again: will that goblin Deremei Diranth be in play? Our best chances rely on his forces distracting and diverting the Yokaido Profanes for as long as possible."

A few heads turned silently, waiting for another to speak, before one did.

"He could be," the minister of racial affairs answered. "Diranth has been insisting on more aid of late, and a shipment of goblin and ogre iron weapons might do the trick of coordinating an attack with us."

"Then have Groo and Needles take such with them on their next trip back," the Prime Minister ruled. "Keeping that second flank open is far more valuable for our effort and the lives of our men than an extra batch of iron weapons."

There was a nod, and it was set out to be done. The keeper of the minutes ruffled his pages to draw attention, and continued on the agenda of the meeting.

"Next we have reports on the latest tests of catapults re-engineered from Khazak knowledge, followed by reports of promising advances in our mages attempts to increase the utility of our current magics through more advanced sorcery, though they warn that that may be a long time yet. After that we will receive another emissionary from the Bannor over the latest Svartalfar reports, before an emissionary from Cardith Lorda will express concern over some of our current racial-tolerance policies..."

p

And a prospective trade piece.

Cassiel offers Marble to trade for the Malakim

Grateful for Varn Gosam's public support, the Grigori government has offered marble to the Malakim, to help rebuild their new nation. Already complementary shipments have arrived through neutral lands to aid in the completion/refurbishment of the Malakim palace, even before negotiators have even met to decide just what might be exchanged.

Experts note that Cassiel's offer has more than just political reciprocation in mind. Since the war, the Grigori's extensive marble reserves have been largely wasted, with no large-scale building projects requiring the heavy stone. Though impressive palisades and fortifications/castles have been built with the stones, of late the Grigori quarries have been empty for a lack of uses for the material.

Marble promises to be an attractive material for the Malakim still struggling to build new foundations for their people. What they might be willing or able to trade, however, remains to be seen. The Grigori always remain open to fair technological trades, and the current Grigori magics of alteration need ever more types mana to fuel.

Experts also advise that the Grigori may well be satisfied with regular generous payments; the Grigori financial ministry has recently begun to increase it's gold reserves as if in preparation for an expected increase in costs in the foreseeable future.

I'm not able to post anything, but consider the Mazatle Still conquering Sheim and Cualli land, and using Coatlann to assist.

Preparations for Battle

---

Every battle has two parts: everything that goes according to the plan, and then everything that happens after that plan had been blown apart. Because it's not only your own plans that matter, but the plans of your enemy. Knowing, or suspecting, or just plain guessing your enemy's plans could be decisive.

And that was why the Grigori had invested one of their precious mana nodes, one of three not dedicated to the Amurites, had been dedicated to fueling enchantments.

Technically the Grigori didn't know if the Yokaido had been preparing entropy magics to rust and corrode their weapons at the start of the battle everyone knew was coming. They didn't know if the Yokaido had invested in magics at all, or even if they had mana nodes: though the Grigori lands were uniquely fortunate to have been born on such a potent nexus of mana lines, no one had ever fully scouted beyond the mountains, and no one had told tales of Yokaido mages at the front or on the goblin-infested frontier. The most they had seen or heard of to date were the practitioners of the Ashen Veil.

But the Yokaido did follow the Ashen Veil, and sages and strategists had agreed that that made them more likely to seek out entropy and other dark magics. And one known mana node was in the occupied foothills, beyond the reach of any Grigori raider or scout team. The thought of iron weapons rusting away as the enemy charged was even more frightening than the prospect of skeletons, but fortunately it was one that could be warded off.

The weapon-shack of the Kalm armory echoed with chants and the glow of magical lights, as ever-changing shifts of adepts practiced their art.

These weapons, and soon the weapons in the next armory and the next would not rust or corrode for any god or spell... unless these enchantments were to be dispelled first. And then the battle-adepts would re-enchant them again, and it would be a match of who could cast faster and more often.

But the Yokaido couldn't perform such advanced magics without sorcerers and magical mastery rivaling the Khadi or Amurites... right?

I don't have the time to write stories for the Yokaido or influence them in any way, so I'm stepping down as their adopted writer :(

I don't have the time to write stories for the Yokaido or influence them in any way, so I'm stepping down as their adopted writer :(
Er, I was going to offer you a peace treaty soon, if you don't mind being knocked down to a more supporting role...

I've been uneasy about this actual war, because I don't want to over-act and crush another player character who doesn't post much.

Let me PM you and tell you what I intended, before you quit. I'd rather not force someone else out if I didn't have to.

Edit: Check your PM. I (might) have given you an out to keep playing, if you wish.

I was rather enjoying the Yokaido. Mimic, can you PM me with details about the Yokaido and what your plan was so I can give them a respectable run?

I was rather enjoying the Yokaido. Mimic, can you PM me with details about the Yokaido and what your plan was so I can give them a respectable run?
I'll forward you my PM to him as well. Total conquest is not my desire.

Top Bottom