Mazera Mega Story Thread

Sorry, I was writing a new story, but my browser quit out in the middle of me typing it, and I'm depressed :cry:

One word- firefox ;) (it lets you recover lost data like forum posts you were writing if the browser suddenly quits)

One word- firefox ;) (it lets you recover lost data like forum posts you were writing if the browser suddenly quits)

I have firefox on my desktop, but It wont let me transfer bookmarks from chrome to firefox, so I didn't switch. Worst part was, I dled firefox right before posting, and the fact that I should have wrote that in firefox was the first thing that crossed my mind when it happened :lol:

Getting back to the story.

Spoiler So Far, And Yet So Much Farther To Go :

Messa's men had come a long way from the swordsmen brigade that have left Midgard so many weeks ago. Though properly armed and decently trained, they had remained shopkeepers and workers at their heart. Their behavior and idle chatter had reflected it.

Or at least, it had. The men who had left Midgard had been shopkeepers and workers at heart. Now they were soldiers, Serpent Slayers in the most literal sense of the word. They even talked and thought as such. They had seen the Midgosomar, as the peculiarly Grigori saying went, and it was theirs to hold in their memory forever more.

He wasn't the only one to notice. Coming from behind him, a firm but gentle hand was placed on his shoulder.

"You've grown up, Messa," a powerful and experienced voice said. "You aren't the little boy I had to carry up and down the mountains all those years ago. You walked here yourself. I'm proud of you."

Messa's eyes widened, proving he wasn't as old or as mature as he liked to hope he was.

"Papa Jeon!" he exclaimed, standing and twirling with an excitement befitting a young man five years younger.

The former Bannor commander and Grigori war champion smiled even as he batted Messa's head with rough affection. "That's Father Jeon to you, and to all you impudent children. You never did learn, no matter how many times I tried."

Messa grinned cheekily, but didn't apologize. Jeon wasn't his birth father, possibly never had been a birth father. But he was a father to Messa, much like many of the other Adventurers he had been handed off to over the decade he had been away from the Palace. It was Jeon who had taught him to earn his calluses, to continue the struggle not for gods or kings but for the people as a whole, and to never lose sight of that utmost truth of a champion's honor for his country. And that one piece of advice Father Jeon had always bid him to remember.

Fight and be right.

Messa remembered so much in so little time, and it brought a smile to his face. But Father Jeon had not come to this part of the front solely to see his former tag-a-long. He had come to wage war, just as he had for the last bloody years. And it was a testament of Messa's maturity that he understood that.

"Come, let me show you to our Center," he said, referring to the tent in the center of the Grigori encampment. "I'm sure our commander will be honored to meet you, and the men as well."

"They will, they will," Jeon agreed. "But it is still good to see you." Jeon looked over the hills. Behind them, the foothills they had fought and reclaimed by blood and steel and magics. To their front, the mountains leading to the Yokaido homeland, where great pillars of ash emitted more and more of their black volume each week.

"You've come a long way, Messa."

Ok, some major things will happen over the next few days involving the Cualli, Yokaido, Bannor, Grigori, and several other nations. I am not disclosing all the nations that will be affected as I want some surprises left. Fear not, though. They aren't bad changes. At least for adopted nations. Also, some of you will be getting PMs from me. If you could get back to me on those as soon as possible, that'd be great. The first update will be done before I go to bed.

BANNOR VILLAGES VANISH

The Bannor nation, currently embroiled in a war against the Sheaim on the Deadlands, has been the victim of another unfortunate turn of events. Bannor scouts report no word from several villages near the Grigori border and upon inspection found that the entire village was missing, buildings and people alike. Bannor officials are baffled as to where the village went to as there were no bodies or any sign of a struggle. Some officials fear an attack from the Grigori, which has put Capria on edge. However, not everything was gone from these missing villages. The mines were still intact, the lumbermill still in working order, and several other things that require only partial repairs. The Bannor, however, cannot repopulate these areas due to the war in a far away land and recent losses in their war against the Chislev. For now, the land is unclaimed and could be a boon to any nation that could take it before the Bannor.​

This part is not really an update as more of just letting you know what kind of troops some nations have. I'm using the Nightwatch so that I can just write these things. It's not very long, but here's your introduction to the newest danger in the Doviello lands, Gristav's Legion.

Spoiler :
Nightwatch Report on Gristav's Legion

In the Doviello lands, a legion of warriors has risen above all others. The Doviello are known for their war prowess and it is not unusual to find one Doviello fighting more than four opponents in battle. However, this new legion, led by a Doviello general named General Gristav, has risen above and beyond the ferocity usually seen by these savage men. Gristav's Legion is more a force of nature than a nation's army. The Doviello shamans found herbs with amazing effects when ingested. It boosts their aggression, increases adrenaline, and increases mental prowess. In other words, these men feel no pain, feel no fear, live only for the moment of the kill, but have enough control to stay in a loose formation. When these warriors don their armor, they become true immortals.

Also, I was going through my notes and found several parts unfinished, which perturbs me. I will spend tomorrow filling it all out, sorting it so it's easier to access (for me), and I'll be able to send all the adopted nations their list of resources. If you already got a list, too bad. These lists will be longer than what you got before due to the time that has passed. Hopefully, it'll help you guys understand where you are in the world. Expect more to come.

Grigori Perturbed, Equally Perplexed At Border Events

The Grigori Empire, currently in negotiations with the Bannor as to some sort of non-aggression pact or, has been equally taken aback by complete disappearances of Bannor villages and citizens alike, and alarmed at the prospect that such a phenomenon might not respect national boundaries.

Perplexed officials have so far warded off accusations of involvement by pointing out that the Grigori have relied on a peaceful boundary with the Bannor in order to focus on the Yokaido to the East, and that if they had access to such magics in the first place then the Yokaido would simply have been disappeared away.

Cassiel has offered Bannor agents free passage in the border areas to investigate from both sides of the border, and asked local governors to assist in their attempts. Concerned about the nature of such disappearances, Cassiel has sent a request to the Amurite and Khadi governments asking for aid in detecting any magical means in this malady.

Question...
Spoiler :
What is the time scale (how long does a day take on adverage.(I know it is dependent on posts, but my character has a month+ journey to get to Brookden, I want to know how many stories I should make along the way...

Maybe a rough scale should be added to the map. Would probobly help for time estamates of invading armies and wandering travelers...

Question...
Spoiler :
What is the time scale (how long does a day take on adverage.(I know it is dependent on posts, but my character has a month+ journey to get to Brookden, I want to know how many stories I should make along the way...

Maybe a rough scale should be added to the map. Would probobly help for time estamates of invading armies and wandering travelers...

Well, since this is a thread game and many people can't be around that often, usually a week in our time is a month in Mazera.

Also, for future reference, Votakara isn't an elderly guy. He's middle-aged. If I had to give him an age I'd say he's around 47 years old. I probably should have mentioned this when I introduced him to avoid confusion. Oh well.

Clan scouts missing on the northern border!

For the past several days Clan goblins and lizardmen going on routine patrol missions have not returned for the end of their shift.

Map updated. Bannor lose a chunk of land due to missing villages, Jotnar grow, Malakim grow, Svartalfar lose land to Hippus and are no longer at war with them, Archos no longer at war with the Hippus, the Cualli are no longer at war with the Mazatl, Austrin, and Kuriotates, the Hippus gain additional land due to expansion, officially making them one of the largest nations.

Character list on first post updated to include Icarus Marocho.

ISHLAR KAFAHN WARY

Warlord Ishlar Kafahn, of the Clan of Chaos, has stepped up patrols and guards on the northern border. The recent disappearances have also led him to begin speaking with Rhoanna of the Hippus for help in discovering what happened as the Svartalfar have already turned down his request, citing the policy of "Never helping greenskins."

ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT

High Chief Votakara has been the victim of another assassination attempt. A small spider was found near him and promptly killed. The healers noticed the spider bite marks and were able to prevent any deadly symptoms. However, the Dural are worried now that Votakara has Cualli poisons and Archos poisons infecting his body. They are worried that if no other Ordine Medicos arrive he could stay in his coma until he dies, which could possibly be sooner than they'd like.​

Anonymous Bankers Offer to Fund Lunan Voyage for Grigori Medicos

A group of private bankers spread across a number of countries have quietly approached the Grigori through Dural intermediaries about chartering a Lunan ship to carry Lunan Medicos to the Dural, in order to help in Votakara's latest precipitous decline.

There's no question that more Medicos bringing in heavier equipment and more medicines from their Lunan base of operations could help turn Votakara's fortunes around once again. But their conditions seem suspicious, if not terribly malign: all they request is to be appointed to be the banks of deposit for the Ordine Medicos. In effect, to become the official banking and transaction arm for the Ordine Medicos, to whom fees and charges are assigned.

The Ordine Medicos has recently begun considering expansion of their Order, and strong financial support would be an invaluable asset for future expansions. But at the same time, even now the Ordine handles impressive amounts of money in mundane fees and transactions for their patients, and greedy bankers and merchants could stand to swindle great amounts of money from the Ordine Medicos.

Currently, acceptance or decline of the offer is being delayed as representatives of the bankers and Medicos meet to confirm and negotiate just what sort of deal might be possible or permissible. But many watchful observers already are asking just what else these bankers have in mind for such a favor.​

Flauros goes mad
Rumour has it that the High Lord Flauros of the Calabim went mad after wanting to give his sister a proper burial only to find her body missing. The entire Calabim council is rumoured to meet in secret to discuss what to do against the terror-like events that have occured recently.

Spoiler The Ritual I :
Katakien the Profane messed slowly as the flames licked from the base of firewood and carefully treated reagents to consume the body of Alexis, laid upon the ritual pyre.

Alexis was not dead. The poison had not been able to kill her, only to bring her in a dead-like trance. Which was even better, because that meant that her - immensely powerful - soul was trapped in her body. And the sacrifice of such a soul would pave the way for the coming of a demon of the higher ranks.

The messing sounds reintensified, and were thrown back by the walls of the hollow room. Unconscious screams escaped the lips of Alexis as her soul and body was burnt in the hellfire.

Suddenly, the air above Alexis erupted and an almost unbearable heat struck out at the entire room. Pearls of sweat appeared on the forehead of Katakien as he finished the rite that would bring the demon into existance, under his control.

The flames suddenly blazed up before dying out. On the floor in front of him stood a tall, muscular demon with red skin. A particularly nasty axe was caught between the claws on its right hand.

Katakien hailed the demon in Infernal: "Son of Agares, Lord Moloch, I humbly welcome you to the city of Prespur!"

Moloch looked around, exhaling fire through his nostrils as he breathed. "Will I get to feast on the children of Prespur?"

Katakien was now sweating heavily: "Soon, milord, very soon... We just need the last steps to be through, and the city is ours."

A story and four headlines relating to the liberation of Taranis the Unchanging. Read the story for more. It's rather long, though... I hope it makes up for not posting a lot.

Spoiler :
The Liberation​

Auric stood in meditation surrounded by vast ice crystals. He smiled as he saw images of legions of Ice Golems engaging Luchuirp Golems and holding them at bay, creating a wall of stasis that stretched across the Luchuirp border, as his allies struck. He horsehockyfted his imaging and saw frostling bandits, supported by flesh constructs from Mokka's Cauldron, engaging the Svartalfar. Things were going well, and it looked as if the Deepening would soon begin, according to Anangtios's report. That was when he sensed a disturbance around him.

Reflexes honed while wandering Erebus kicked into action, and he ducked behind one of the crystals. The assassin's dart, tipped with a plant that caused spontaneous combustion when it hit a target, struck and melted a chunk of ice away. He snapped "Slow!" and the will behind the command caused time around the assassin to stretch and slow down as she was about to utter a spell that would blow the throne room apart with an inferno. It had the added effect of causing the assassin's invisibility charm to stop working, causing her to become visible to all.

Auric walked forward and studied the assassin. She was an elf, apparently, wrapped in a black cloak covered with invisibility runes that was typical of Svartalfar dress. She also carried a large supply of deadly implements. He waved his hand, and the slow time effects intensified, stopping time around the two of them entirely. Another gesture caused the temperature to lower, subtly. Guards rushed into the room, but to Auric and the elven prisoner, they did not move.

"I just thought you should know," he said, "that Illian ice sculpters are capable of altering the position and even the shape of a body after it has been frozen. It produces beautiful artwork." He gestured to the columns of ice statues lining the palace. "Not all were made out of once living people- but some were," he continued. "But, it can be done to a still living body. The process is incredibly painful, as you can no doubt imagine." The assassin's face showed that she did.

Auric released frozen time, and the guards seized her. He said ominously, "Sculpt her until she talks." The guards departed, dragging the shrieking prisoner, who seconds later died. He frowned. He thought he had removed all magical items with the slow spell. Evidently there was a physical poison as well.

He sighed, shaking his head. He needed better guards. And then an idea, propelled by the essence of Mulcarn that lived within him, came to him, and he shouted an order. A Disciple of Winter rushed in, and he gave instructions to him, and the disciple rushed out to obey them.

--

The tower of ice, not located in Garduk but near Letum Frigus, had been built by Auric's will, and it would stand so long as he remained alive- or willed it to collapse. Ice particles had gathered slowly and formed into beautiful crystals, which then formed into a tower. At the top of the tower were four crystalline spikes resembling stalagmites. It was at this top where Auric, Dumnanios, Riuros, and Anangtios were gathered. He had risen it for this specific purpose.

The ritual was well under way. Even if anyone else on Mazera was aware of it, and could fight through the Illian and Doviello guards patrolling the empire, they would not be in time to stop it. Auric's vision honed in on an island in a lake at the edge of Elohim lands. Knowing that it was important, the Elohim were guarding a small crystal sphere on the shores of the lake with their lives. He laughed as he gathered energy. Those lives would not be enough...

--

Arlonte, captain of the guards assigned to protect the Evergreen Lake, sighed as he watched the small company of Elohim assigned to this site. It was a good job they had- they did not have to protect the lake itself but rather what appeared to be a glowing green spherical rock. The priest, Lenyos, assigned to their group was currently studying it. The other guards were also enjoying themselves in the grass. They could relax in the lake, but Einion Logos had warned them strictly- do not venture into the lake.

He headed over to the priest to take a look at his analysis of the object. That was when he felt a strange sensation, as if lightning was coming. He looked up, along with the others.

There was no lightning. The clouds were glowing pure white, and it seemed as if... they were freezing.

Then, there was a sudden blast of blue-white light from the frozen clouds. It appeared to be lightning, but it was clearly not. It was directed straight at the object they were supposed to protect, and one of the guards nearby instinctively dove into the path of the lightning. His body froze and was covered in ice. It then fell to the orb, which flared green, and the body of the guard caught on fire until nothing was left but ashes. Arlonte stood staring at the orb. It was obviously a tool against winter, but...

His thoughts were interrupted when another blast shot through the sky. Seconds before it hit, Lenyos, a priest of the Fellowship of Leaves, muttered a prayer, and the earth glowed green. Guardian vines emerged and seized the orb. The blast of ice struck them... and nothing happened.

--

Auric reeled as a powerful presence interrupted his attack on the Orb of Sucellus guarding the lake. He had frozen a human who had been in the way of the blast, he knew, but that second power... intrigued, he studied it. And the part that was Mulcarn gave him the rest of the information. He had tried to freeze a massive creature, the Guardian of the Forest. Somehow, a being he had identified as a priest of leaves had summoned the Guardian's vines to defend the orb. Clever. He had tried to freeze the entire thing. There did not seem to be a way to win.

But, after a few minutes thinking, he had one, and resumed his attack, gathering more power...

--

The Elohim captain looked up again. Arlonte prayed that the attacker was beat and would go away. But that, of course, did not happen. Instead, another blast rained down from the frozen clouds. This one, though was glowing faintly golden... Arlonte realized with surprise that it was a lightning blast. The blast continued coming, becoming a solid beam, not a quick blast. Lenyos gasped in horror as the lightning drilled into one of the vines.

He cried, "The guardian..." and rushed forward. A deflected ray of lightning struck him. Lenyos screamed in pain and died.

That was when the blast penetrated through the vine.

--

Auric mentally roared at the presence of the Guardian, demanding it submit, even as he gathered all the ice energy he had in him, swallowing several nearby blizzards and nearly undoing the tower of ice he was standing on. He hurled it down into the ripped open vine. The ice would either freeze a portion of the great Guardian, or would destroy the Orb of Sucellus.

He waited to see what would happen. He did not have enough power to both take on the Guardian and to destroy the Orb simultaneously. Already, he felt himself wilting. He continued to pour out his energy and shout at the Guardian...

--

Arlonte's eyes widened as the vines began to freeze. They crystallized and abruptly melted into nothingness, the Orb having burned the frozen portions away. The remaining vines at the base of the Orb recoiled and reentered the earth, vanishing, as did the aura of nature surrounding the area. His face turned grim as he considered what this meant.

The icy beam continued coming, striking the orb, creating a shield of fire around the orb. Ice energy touched and froze the outside of the orb, which caught fire. That fire was then frozen as more ice energy poured down. Eventually, the orb cracked, and exploded, as it could take no more ice magic. Arlonte and the guards ducked as the smoke cleared and the beam stopped.

That was when the lake froze. He turned, and his face became pale as he saw an armored warrior stalking across the ice, longsword and shield in hand. Arlonte opened his mouth to order a charge, when he found he could no longer speak. The figure waved a hand and ice filled his mouth. Still striding forward, he swung the sword in a long sweep and Arlonte dropped to the ground. As he died, he saw the figure make short work of the other guards as well...

--

Taranis finished killing the guards and looked around, taking in data. It was another age. Mulcarn's presence was no longer felt- wait... there was an emission of him from the north, from the old realm of the Illians. Analysis: Mulcarn is weakened. Directive: Head north. Directive: Kill all in between targets. Directive: Determine the state of Mulcarn. Directive: Gather aid. Input data: No creatures of ice felt within reasonable range. Analysis: They are dispered or gathered near Mulcarn. Directive: Find them.

Such was Taranis. He could take in data and make decisions, albeit in a machine-like method. But after that data was taken in and Taranis came to a decision based on it, it was dumped since it could not be remembered. He continued to reevaluate his current directives, carefully checking if the position of Mulcarn or his ice demons altered. They did not. One final directive was ordered, based on climate data.

Directive: Begin the re-wintering of the world.

ELOHIM SIGHT DEFILED

Elohim warriors were struck down in defense of a sacred site on the edge of their lands, near Austrin territory. No accusations have been leveled for now, since witnesses nearby reported seeing a blast of what appeared to be ice magic near the area. Elohim leaders are reportedly afraid that Auric Ulvin of the Illians was somehow responsible for this, but doubt it because of the distance that would be required. Scouts also report seeing a massive warrior emerge and attack warriors and anything in it's path. What it wants or it's origin are unknown.

WARRIOR HEADED TO THE NORTH

Based on accounts from the survivors of the destruction of a town, several trading posts, and many outlying farms, the warrior that has ravaged Elohim territory is heading on a direct course for the north of Erebus. Specifically, Letum Frigus, which is now near Illian territory. The Elohim government has released a statement blaming the Illians for unleashing this menance, who have responded in a statement that criticizes the Elohim's failure to defeat one lone warrior and has threatened to cut off all trade and possibly even declare war if the Elohim do not take back their "slanderous" statement. The Illians are allied with the fierce Doviello warriors and Hippus horsemen, giving them military superiority.​

TEMPERATURES WARMER IN ILLIAN LANDS

Fur traders from the Illian empire have reported that the average temperatures the last few days have been warmer then usual. The cause of this is unknown. In addition, neighboring Doviello and Amurites have reported less blizzards visible from their borders. It does not appear to make a difference, however- before the resurgence of the Illians the north was much warmer but still freezing, and the warmer temperatures now are much less then they were before the arrival of Auric Ulvin.​

MAGICAL DISTURBANCE DETECTED​

Mages and priests from all nations save the Doviello and Illians have reported an incredible disturbance in the ether. They say as if someone was using an immense quantity of magic. Elves seemed especially affected and worried about something. Even elves who were not mages or priests detected some disturbance. However, no repeat of the disturbance has been felt, and it has been several days since it occured.​

Spoiler To Other Leaders :
All you know about the summoning of Taranis was what appears in the four news reports above. It is all related to the summoning of Taranis:
Spoiler :
The "warrior" is Taranis himself, the magical disturbance was the ritual, and the warmer temperatures are because Auric used a lot of ice magic to power it.

Garneth and Delimah hid in the dark woods, desperately trying to calm their breaths. The two had managed to escape their captors for now, but they had few delusions of avoiding recapture in these dark woods. They had none of the blood-right familiarity of these lands, the fellowship and faith to see through the shadows, or the forest cats and hunting animals to find their way through the dark by scent alone.

No, they were two Grigori Medicos, the last two free men (well, man and woman) to remain after the party had been attacked. Their human bodies were nowhere near as fast as the enchanted horses they had so recently rode from the Khadi lands, and fleeing on foot was a losing proposition. But feet and the baggage on their backs were all the two had left, and packs of Reagents wouldn't help them escape any faster.

The jungle cat that had been stalking them yowled again, and the two set off running once again. They were running in a riverbed, hoping to hide or at least diminish their scents. They were running upstream as well, because one of the fundamental pieces of knowledge of civilizations is that cities could always be found downstream, where as if you went upstream... there might be another city, but the decreased chance was the only hope the two had left.

"We probably aren't going to make it," Delimah panted as they caught their breath behind a large boulder in the woods. "They can track us as fast as we run. Faster, even."

"We can't quit now," Garneth urged his companion on, though he himself looked as if he would succumb to exhaustion soon enough. "We promised the others we would escape."

The thought of the rest of their party, who had fought and been subdued by force to give them a chance to flee, gave Delimah the resolve to keep pressing forward. But her words were true: the weren't getting any distance. That damn jungle cat was always the same distance away, no matter how fast they stumbled through underbrush. When night came, they both knew why they had not been captured: their trackers were playing with their prey.

Going partway into a cave by the river, the two huddled together for warmth.

"We're going to have to split up," they both said at the same time, because it had been on both their minds.

"I'll go deeper into the forest, and you go south," Garneth said, offering himself as the distraction for her.

"No, you go," she urged. "You stand a better chance of surviving to the Clan lands, and it's imperitive the Ordine hears about what happened," she tried to reason. "It doesn't matter if I'm captured, if we can get the word out. Cassiel must know what happened. He must."

They almost began to fight, to argue which one would help the other flee further, until a voice deeper in the darkness spoke.

"If you refer to fleeing the elves, both of you could be safe from them."

Out of the darkness, where he had surely been when they had entered the cave, stepped a massive figure, fur and claws and fearsome teeth prominent.

"A gnoll..." Delimah whispered, having never seen one before.

"A Grigori Medicos. Two of them," said the Gnoll, also having never seen one before but being much less impressed at the sight of one.

Garneth kept his mind the most focused. "What did you mean?" he asked. "About us both getting out of here safely?"

"Exactly what I said," said the gnoll. "You can both escape with my help... and I am willing to help you escape these woods. I can even guarantee your safe passage to anywhere you desire.

Delimah and Garneth traded hopeful glances. "Even the Dural lands?"

The gnoll looked a tad surprised, but soon smiled. "Especially the Dural," he said. "For a reasonable fee, of course," he added.

"Anything I can grant," Garneth promised, and Delimah echoed it. "Money? The Ordine will gladly pay for our safety."

The gnoll waved his clawed hand at such trifles. "Keep your money. I have a favor to ask. In Ngomele there is a sickness, a rot that can not be cured at present. I merely require your word that at least one of you will stay until the disease can be rooted out. And I can assure you we will be glad to pay your traditional fee and more once it is done."

Delimah and Garneth traded looks of delight. Hope restored, safety almost assured, and at the cost of doing their sworn duty. Suddenly keeping the reagent packs as possible bartering tools was looking even more fortunate now that they could be used for their proper role. It was too good to be true.

"We swear," they said, but the Gnoll shook his head.

"Not good enough," he said. "I need you to swear by something important."

"I would swear by any god you wish, even Agares," Delimah admitted, though uneasily.

"Not Gods. I know you Grigori and that trick. Swear by something you hold dealy important, more than your life."

"I swear by my honor as a Ordine Medicos, and by my faith in the teachings of Cassiel," Garneth answered, and the Gnoll realized it was as good as it would get from them.

"Good enough," it said. "Now follow me. We must make haste."

The next morning, the panther walked into the cave in pursuit of the scent, but was turned back at the collapsed wall at the end.

Weather Report

Sunny skies across Mazera, and fair weather expected for everyone, with one exception. Frequent maelstroms and tsunamis are expected in Dural lands for the duration of their existence. Any travelers are recommended to take precautions, such as raincoats, life preservers, and not being in any coastal Dural city until the forecast clears.

The Journey part I
Spoiler :

Krinith had been walking for three days now, taking off at a whim, half drunk, and no supplies. All he had was his staff and the clothes on his back. His step faltered a bit, reflecting the lack of food he's had. Setting off with no supplies tends to leave you with a couple of drawbacks, most notably hunger and thirst. He had coped with the thirst in an inventive way, managing to summon a water elemental and drinking it, and storing the split versions in an empty flask he had been carrying. However, that did little to elevate the hunger pains, which came at a regular interval, each stronger than the last.

The hunger wasn't the only problem, the world itself seemed to be conspiring against him. The cold winds would cut through his clothes as if they were not there, and he briefly considered going nude, but dismissed the thought. It was the hunger talking. The closer he got to Arioc, the worse wind got, and the worse the cold got. Krinith found every step to be filled with excruciating pain, his whole body telling him, DEMANDING him to go back. He refused. However, he could not deny his hunger, as it slowly took over. Unable to deny it any longer, he began to search the edge of the road frantically, desperate to find anything edible, anything at all. Finding a few mushrooms, he eagerly shoved them down his throat, but they did little to .
Going deeper and deeper into the brush at the edge of the road, his foot hits something solid.

Kneeling down, he discovered that it was a body of a young adventurer, spawled across the ground. Looking at his chest, there was a large slash across his chest, penetrating his bronze armor. The wound itself appeared normal, but looking deeper into it, Krinith noticed that the blood had been frozen solid. Inspecting the body, Krinith found the adventurer's pack, which contained some food, some gold, and a note. Eating the food and pocketing the gold, he continued on the road, reading the note as he walked on to Unigrad, happy for the first time in three days.

"Which was the most terrifying point of the advance, you ask? Well my son, I think we were all most afraid when the ash stopped rising."

-Orum the Steady, Veteran of the Yokaido War

---

I'm sorry, Cassiel. There... there really was nothing we could do. Maybe if we had had siege equipment, or more iron and mithril weapons, then we could have taken it down, but...

My Lord, you have seen a Midgarsomar, correct? You know the scale I speak?

These monsters dwarfed them. They might have been Midgarsomar once, but no more. These were the Midgarsomar worthy of Agares himself. A Midgarsomar can swallow a man on a horse without noticing. This one, one!, swallowed a team of Ogres as an afterthought. Arrows were laughed at, except those lucky enough to find themselves lodged between its scales. Those were as effective as a hornet sting.

We tried, I swear to you. I plunged my mithril blade into its back from behind, and all I did was make it throw me a hundred yards. Needles, he tried to shoot out the eyes. Maybe a direct hit could have worked, but he was lucky enough to survive as it was. All we could do was wound it, make in angrier.

We did what we had to. We fell back, ordered a retreat. I made sure that most of the Civilized survived and fell back as well, even as those who haven't the appreciation for higher thoughts fought and died. Deremei Diranth's forces remain in the field, at least, though for how much longer I can not say.

Be warned, my Lord. The Beasts of Agares are upon us.

-Groo the Wanderer, Summarizing the aftereffects of the first battle of the Beast of Agares against the forces of Deremei Diranth. The only reason the battle wasn't more of a route was the timely retreat of Diranth's forces.

Top Bottom