Signature translations thread

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
As mentioned in this thread, it's OK to have some foreign language in signatures.

It is recommended to include an inline English translation in the signature, but it's not required.

For your own convenience, if you include some foreign language in your signature without inline translation, please post translation of the non-English portion in this thread. This way when people ask you what it means, you can point to your post here.

Signature: Alle Menschen werden Brüder - German; All Men become Brothers; Source (11th Line under German original)

User Title: An die Freude - German; To Joy; Source (First line)

Thanks again, Thunderfall!

My signature contains the Greek phrase Makedon Argeades, more of a name than anything else; it means a Macedonian of the Argead (or Temenid) family, which ruled the Macedonian kingdom for several centuries. Since my avatar is of King Philip II, the father of Alexander the Great and one of the best-known Argeads, I referenced his lineage in my signature.

The user title, hegemon, is a Greek word that has been adopted in English, referring to his position as hegemon, or commander, of the League of Corinth, which comprised most of the united Greeks. The location, Aigai, was the ancient Macedonian capital, where his tomb was discovered a few decades ago.

Thanks for making this thread, TF! :D

My user title, Prince de l'Aube, is French and means 'Dawn Prince'.

And yeah, thanks again ;)

Edit: Well, not a signature translation, but still...

For non English clips without translation
This thread should be your destination;
Your words sublime (or hardly fancy),
If not found here, they might be chancy:
A moderator's bad reaction
Just might earn some new infraction;
So post away in French or Greek,
Or even Dutch if your Rik Meleet;
Add the English on the side,
Then a "why you like it" do provide.

My sig is an experiment in the way words sound. My last one sounded Latin, this one sounds Spanish. I think this one's prettier sounding. (For the avoidance of doubt, it's made up, rather than an actual foreign language, but that probably needed a bit of explaining!)

In an overturn hold on tightly to steering wheel. Do not attempt to jump out.
Om traktorn stjälper, håll fast i ratten, hoppa ej!

My user title, Alte Fritz, is a German diminutive referring to Friedrich II "the Great" of Prussia - literally means "ol' Fred".

The signature quote, "Kerls, wollt ihr ewig leben?", was shouted by Friedrich to retreating troops at Kolin in June 1757. Means, more or less, "Dogs (or a similar oath), do you want to live forever?" He lost the battle but fell back, and that fall won two of his greatest victories, Rossbach and Leuthen.

Title: N/A
Signature: 伝統、 統一、名誉、知識 - Tradition, Unity, Honor, Knowledge (Japanese)
(The second phrase in Japanese in Red needs no translation, already provided in the Signature itself)

Note: This Post will be updated frequently to avoid any redundant and duplicate posts

My user title, Alte Fritz, is a German diminutive referring to Friedrich II "the Great" of Prussia - literally means "ol' Fred".

The signature quote, "Kerls, wollt ihr ewig leben?", was shouted by Friedrich to retreating troops at Kolin in June 1757. Means, more or less, "Dogs (or a similar oath), do you want to live forever?" He lost the battle but fell back, and that fall won two of his greatest victories, Rossbach and Leuthen.

wasnt it, "hunde", not "kerls"?

kerls sounds like a strange plural of "kerle" (guys) to me, but then, maybe it meant dogs in 1757...

also, it should read "alter fritz"". (masculine)

edit:
there was an infantery regiment nicknamed "lange kerls" in that time. it is an archaic plural of "kerl" (guy).

also, the more well known phrase "hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben" is a movie title which may have caused confusion.

Flying Pig, what does "Utrinque Paratus" mean?

"Si nosotros hubiéramos sido de barro, si nosotros hubiésemos sido elaborados con clara de huevo, si nosotros hubiésemos sido blandos, ¿qué quedaría de este país?, ¿qué quedaría de esta Revolución?" (If we had been made of mud, if we had been brought up with the clarity of egg whites, if we had been bland, what would remain of this country? What would remain of this revolution?

Top Bottom