Dr kossin #7

I sort of like the idea of claiming the copper yourself rather than just choking, since we have no idea what sort of land he might have available to the east and thus it's unclear whether we can really bottle him up.

Round 2b

Being in the dark, I decided against a choke. Moreover, I tried looking at Louis's units again but he would never tell me what his units were (so I assumed > archer). The good news is there are horses in the BFC. I'm not feeling a HA rush too much though as I don't have that many forests to spare.

I settled a couple cities, the ivory-corn first and then a cow-copper city designed to try and steal Louis' copper. I'm getting tired of having no metals in my games - it's been 3 now. There's some prime real-estate down there, I'm hoping I can grab the Marble.

Hammy sneaked by with a settler. Nothing I could do about it unfortunately.

He's currently trying to sneak by a second, but I'll whip a settler next turn in the capital (stacking whip anger) and should beat him easily to the fish-rice-pig-dye city.

Techs - I don't have anything invested anywhere yet. I may alter my course and get Aesthetics instead, provided I can secure the marble down south. It'll slow my research down but I'll have a nice patch of land secured afterwards.

Hmmm, it looks like my screenshots are down. Where does it say when they are reset?

I suppose I should move to Imageshack or open a new account...

Edit: nm, found it. It'll reset in 11 days =\

I'll move this thread's pictures but leave the other threads' in place.

Edit 2: I don't think I have time for a round today, but I'll see what I can do. The next few days are very busy for me as well but I should have some time here and there.

Round 3

Being Industrious, having Marble at my hands and having a elepult war last game, I thought I'd try a different approach for this game (combined with the fact that Louis also has Ivory).

I whipped my settler as planned and got there before Hammurabi.

I made good use of Quechuas and took a barb city in a great spot!

After teching IW, it turns out I did have metals... oh well. A couple workers were on spot to hook up the gems in Cuzco.

A bit later, I overtook the copper from Louis, yay!

My first GS made an Academy for a push at Aesthetics.

And I unlocked HE with a Quechua on the marble city, which I took and kept.

Louis completed the AP in Christianity. I have it in several cities but I lack the techs to build temples/monasteries. More on this later.

After a while, I traded Aesthetics around.

Because...
up north

to fight off Louis's Culture next to my iron

And ended the round about here. This city will have 3 food resource when it steals the rice from Hammy.

Techs - horribly slow for now but with GPP about to be secured, I should start flying ahead soon.

I set research on Drama as a placeholder. Combined with Meditation, it would allow me to bulb Philosophy for trading - I could certainly use it.
The big problem I'm facing here is the lack of happy resources - I need Monarchy something bad. And Currency. And Civil Service!! Too many things to say :crazyeye:

I feel going forward I should convert to Christianity. Bureaucracy being Hammurabi's favorite civic should help me negate some of the religion hatred. Also, with Hereditary Rule, it could allow me to buddy up to Louis and stop worrying about that side of the empire. The only problem is trading, Louis and Hammy are Worst Enemies (although I could become Hammy's).

The land I had spotted turned out to be only a small land strip. No more neighbors for a while it seems. I have 13 workers I think... the land should be improved in no time :lol:

I'm sorry to say but I won't be able to report in today. Tomorrow should get its round as usual and I should be able to get in a few updates later.

It's not like there has been an overwhelming amount of comments anyway :)

I've been lurking. No need for me to comment, seeing your better at the game then I am.

Yep, I'm watching and enjoying too - keep up the good work! I already played a bit further and I know my big mouth so I'm scared of dropping spoilers about the remaining civs.

Your game's nicely poised now anyway - looking forward to the next seg :D

Yeah, whenever you can stay neck and neck in score is always a good sign.

Don't worry too much about happy resources. You have gems and ivory (gems is great since you're going to end up with forges in every city anyways being industrious), as well as dyes (once you get calendar). Dye is good since theaters are cheap to get the extra happy from them. You will also be able to trade with Louis, since he has at least wines for you. You're not overflowing, so you will need HR, but you're not in that bad shape.

*edit: opened the save. A few points - you have open borders with people but haven't scouted. May as well. Otherwise, Louis has a lot of units on the border. He's not in WHEOOHN, so presumably he's not planning an attack, but he's already got a decent stack ready to go, so I'd be careful. Otherwise, I noticed you were concerned about happiness. Each city of yours pretty much has 2 religions in them. You can always research priesthood (in 1 turn) and build/whip some temples to keep people happy.

Round 4

Once again, UWHabs's advice was good. I teched to priesthood and built a few temples here and there. Next on line was Currency as both Louis and hammy lacked it, and it is a powerful tech for economy. Moreover, it opened this trade:

Happy problems are more or less solved now, thank Sid.

I revolted to Christianity for a few reasons.

It's the AP religion, also: the avid screenshot watcher will notice Hammurabi is in war-mode... well that's my doing, I refused to give him Literature when he asked! Moreover, it helps to befriend Louis, and combined with Hereditary Rule, I shouldn't have to worry about him in a little while - at +6 now and should go up to +12 when the current bonuses are maxed out. I might even try to bribe in to war with Hammy hehehe.

As soon as the Great Library was whippable, I did so. Of course, we got it.

Workers scouting Hammy's city for his stack... pitiful really.

I built a few spears+swords, moved a few axes north and waited.

And the stack...

He also sent an axe and a Chariot to my GP farm - spent 80 gold to upgrade a Quechua to a spear and whipped the scientists in an Axe. I actually got really lucky as my Quechua killed a Chariot.

With great luck...(actually, it's not really great luck, he attacked without catapults, against a wall and fortified axes/spears)

Comes bad luck! (What can I say - my luck never improves in these games)

State of the techs

I could tech Construction and take a piece out of Hammy next. I've started building the Heroic Epic in Machu Picchu, my best hammer city.
Since I'm kinda far in techs, I think I'd rather wait since by the looks of it, Hammy doesn't have much to offer me. He does have a shrined holy city capital though...
I can probably take Borsippa easily, it's sitting next to Cuzco and is defended by 2 axes and a bowman.

I think I would rather just wait it out, and then maybe bribe Louis to war while I tech peacefully for a while. I have saved up a GS in Cuzco and should get a few more for the Liberalism beeline.

Round 5

I built some troops, but without access to Construction, I could never get my hands on Hammurabi. He also fortified Bursippa too much for me to just take it with brute force.

He kept sending troops, now Horse Archers which I kept dispatching.

I teched CoL and traded it to Louis for some gold and older techs.

It also opened up the Philo bulb! I was not first there unfortunately.

Which itself opened up this possibility... I want to get Louis up to Friendly by all means.

I got a GG for my efforts which I settled in my Heroic Epic city.

Next tech was obviously Civil Service, upon getting it, I switched to Bureaucracy+OR.

In this shot, you can see Louis just took a city from Hammurabi. I was worried he would now vassal him and since Hammy had CS, I traded it to Louis for Industrious forges. I also took peace with Hammurabi for some gold.

Of course he vassaled next turn...

Next GS bulbing Education...

I also traded for Louis's map around here and found another nice little offshore island.

Another day, another trade.

As the round ends, Cuzco will complete its University next turn and start on Oxford University, so I whipped the 5 other Universities to completion.

Tech situation - 1 turn from Liberalism. I will likely take Nationalism and build it with Industrious+Marble - it should allow me to tech to a military lead (cuirassier/cavalry anyone?) and take the island to myself! (Louis has Guilds)

I'd like to trade with Hammurabi but I'll have to gift him a few techs before he's willing to do that. My relations with him aren't exactly stellar.

Finally, a shot of the empire.

If you can get a huge army, you can take 4 cities of Louis right off the bat, not to mention 2 of Hammy's. But that'll take a lot of units.

If you can get a huge army, you can take 4 cities of Louis right off the bat, not to mention 2 of Hammy's. But that'll take a lot of units.

Yea, Louis has grown large and has a lot of troops, I'm partly to blame for that. Bringing him in the war vs Hammurabi allowed me to tech peacefully and buddied him up but he's starting to get big.

My preferred approach would be to get Cavalry as soon as I can, DoW Louis, take a few cities and let his stack come in my border to kill it in 2~3 turns (it's in the captured Babylonian city right now).

Round 6

I was teching along nicely, minding my own business and had a whole lot of good screenshots done with a lot of good progress but Photobucket is down currently so can't upload them... Anyway you can check the spoiler to see what happens.

Spoiler :
Okay, Firaxis, this is a mean one.

You can see from the screenshots of round 5 that the last time Louis was Pleased with me is 820AD (in-and-out of Friendly). He has been Friendly ever since - I've checked non-stop, he never dropped to Pleased since then.

Since he vassaled Hammurabi, there is no way I could tell if he was in war-mode since there was no candidate. Him being Friendly, I assumed I was immune but noooo, he planned war back then and only declared now in 1130AD.

I have virtually no troops and Louis has a sizeable stack. He pillaged my iron and I'll lose copper this turn so Longbows are the best I'll be able to build - no pikes.

Time to throw the towel in, this one's lost.

The only way possibly out: switch to drafting/slavery/theocracy, whip/draft cities to hell and try to live it out.
The last option is there's an AP vote next turn, maybe he'll be dumb enough to cancel the war.

The AI's pretty dumb about using the AP. You may get lucky yet... Do you have access to gunpowder? I'd also stop teching economics so that you can whip a castle in Tiwanaku. It should buy you at least 5 or 6 turns while Louis bombards it with catapults.

No gunpowder... I actually went ahead and tried teching GP and drafted/whipped everything, but the odds were just too overwhelming.

Result: 4 kills, 19 deaths

Game over with these odds. He's still got 30+ units in that stack with 12 catapults and I lost 80% of my units in Tiwanaku and the city.

My mistake this game was bribing Louis into war against Hammurabi - it just made him more powerful and I couldn't see the war-mode warning with no neighbor. Or at least, I should have stopped the war before he could vassal him.

Look for Dr kossin #8 soon!

Ackkk these daily round games are proving quite honest and suprising. Least you didnt go for an easy qulecha rush. Hammy and Louis (ooops lol) are nasty neighbours.

I hate Louis. From his traits you'd think he would be a peaceful builder, but I think I've been declared on at Pleased by him more than any other leader (even Cathy). I usually don't even try to be his friend anymore and align myself with a different religious block if possible just to try to get more reliable allies.

Top Bottom