Dr kossin #10

Hehe, that's what I'm thinking but I don't fancy fighting rifles too much ;)
Maybe I should get some Redcoats and cannons instead if they start showing up.

Hard to know how close Justinian is to magic rifles, but you may be able to get to Constantinople before it happens. At the very least you could take out his SoD before it turns into rifles. Figure out when the next AP vote is due and attack right after that so he can't hit you with more unhappiness right away, and when he does try to force peace, go ahead and agree to it. You should already have crippled him and taken Constantinople, he should have rifles or be very close by then, and agreeing with an AP resolution that passes will take care of the unhappiness and give you the hammer bonus back. Depending on when the next election is due, you may be pope by the time you have cannons and are ready to declare again thanks to your higher number of Buddhist cities, so you won't have to worry about it.

Or you could just raze the stupid thing. What city is it in?

Round 3b

Bonus round! I might actually finish the game today...

Sure enough, the French leader is De Gaulle.

After thinking about it just a bit, I decide to go after Justinian rather than let my troops sit on their behind.

During the war, I meet Pacal and Saladin, the last 2 AIs - who are doing much better research wise.

I keep taking cities from Justinian. Since his core cities are fallen, he just can't seem to get anything going anymore. I also raze the small cities with no food resource.

A trade with Pacal...

And two more cities from Justinian which gain me The University of Sankore.

He's been willing to Capitulate for a while, but his cities were just to good and easy to get. He's offering his smallest city in the deal but I don't want it since all the cities I've gained from him are free from his culture.

Now the question is... do I finish him off or take capitulation?

He has a number of useful techs and could possibly get me a few extra techs down the line, but it will make diplomacy overseas more hard. Not that I really need it at this point, the game is under total control and would be very hard to lose.

Domination is trivial from here, so I think I'll just go for space unless someone convinces me otherwise :)

None of the cities he has left are spectacular, but if you go space, diplomacy is more important than if you just go domination and screw diplomacy. If you want to go ahead and go for the domination, then I'd cap him as he has 3 useful techs you can trade for. If you want to go Space, it's not too big of a hassle to go off and finish him off, so I'd finish him off if you want to go Space.

Congrats to Justinian for really picking the right techs to research! Democracy and corporations is just what you need when some enemy Cavalry comes knocking! :)

>>Congrats to Justinian for really picking the right techs to research! Democracy and corporations is just what you need when some enemy Cavalry comes knocking!

The 2000 random number when picking a technology is just dumb. Coupled w/ the fact the AI values going for monopoly technologies is pretty sad in war cases (and what's the point to get a monopoly technology if you dont eff' trade it? Ask the developers of the AI research code!...)

Round 3c

I finished the game after all.

First off, I got rid of Justinian in a few turns.

Then I Wonder-whored a bit, just because I could :)

I was heading for Space when I saw that Pacal was gunning for a Culture Victory, so I out-cheaped him to a Victory...

Why, thank you Pacal... you're the only one that actually stood a chance at winning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Post game
Easy easy map. I played sloppy a lot of the time after the BC era since it was trivial. Blocking Charlemagne early and getting the GLH late just made this a very powerful start, combined with the fact that the AI didn't go after the necessary war techs to properly defend themselves. I barely did any MMing once Justinian was gone, so a lot of cities weren't optimal.

I didn't even lose that many Cavalry!

And the end score...

Another 150k ranger. It's still good for the late date :)

I feel I'm starting to get comfortable on Immortal, which was more or less the point of this series. Don't worry though, I'll still keep playing them for a while at least!

Dr kossin #11 is coming up in a little bit.

Top Bottom