Dr kossin # 12

Round 4

After getting the maps from my neighbors, I noticed some more brown culture east of Mao so I sent a chariot over there to see...

After building 6 Universities, I set to build Oxford in Uruk. A whip wouldn't cost much and not add much but it did allow me to start on other builds one turn sooner.

I did a lot of tech trades this round:

I also got a lot of gold from failing wonders for which I had access to the bonus resource:

Wonders were going very late in this map... more on this later. Another day, another trade:

Liberalism was a sure bet and allowed me to grab Military Tradition (strangely enough, Pacal beelined it as well).

Some more trades... it got me in the race to the Economics Merchant.

I successfully built Taj Mahal in Uruk for a free Golden Age to power me through Economics.

Another trade...

And the Economics free GM is mine!

At this point I switched civics without anarchy. I could have switched earlier to Free Religion but it would have jeopardized my shot at the free GM and cost 1 turn of anarchy.

Another trade...

Which allowed me to meet Sitting Bull.

...on his nice island with his best friend Toku!

And MM is on his nice island with one of his Khan buddies. No doubt that went well for him.

Diplo

Techs

The 2 islands with 2 AIs really slowed down the techpace. OTOH, Pacal has quite a decent tech pace. I'm currently finishing Gunpowder to take out Mao and Pacal but I'll go to Astronomy next for those nice intercontinental trade routes. War should be a breeze and I'll go for rifling afterwards to perhaps allow a fast domination/conquest victory of the other islands. I'll be getting a Great person next turn and could trigger another Golden Age to really kick things up.

Round 5a

A great prophet was born on the next turn which was consummated with the great merchant for another Golden Age.

After building Heroic Epic in Uruk, it was churning out Cuirassiers almost every turn!

Once Astronomy was done, I opened borders overseas and got an even better tech rate. I also thought I'd give this wonder a shot since most of my cities were quite large.

And also got failure gold from another wonder...

The last AIs were met by the circumnavigating Caravel...

I kindly asked MM to switch to Economics so I could use his trade routes... granted he probably got the better end of it though.

Further Great People were all settled except one which we will come back to in round 5b.

After scouting out Mao, I separated my stacks and drew a small, simple war plan.

I didn't quite have enough luck and numbers to execute the plan perfectly, but it still did some good damage.

Mao stupidly bribed KK to his cause... he never sent anything, not having Astronomy.

More Mao cities fell as I got my hands on Rifling and brought in the Cavalry.

Upgrading some cuirassiers to go after Pacal...

And started building Galleons to go overseas...

Pacal's time had come. Sound the horns of war!

And as quickly as that it was over :lol:.

Continued in part b - no save available as I played it in 1 sitting.

Round 5b

Kublai got my wrath next for his declaration of war...

He did have quite a few obsolete units but my Cavalry made small work of him. Pacal was researching techs for me even though he was pretty small now...

Can you guess where I'm heading with this trade?

I wanted to hit Mansa next but the bugger got his hands on Rifling! So I set sails again and hit Toku who was the next largest AI.

After the initial strike, I liberated cities to get extra garrison units...

I still lost 1 city but re-took it shortly afterwards, as well as some more...

I used the Great Person I had been saving up to insta-finish the victory Wonder:

And the win is Diplomation!

~~~~~~~~Post-game

Not a hard game at all either... the tech pace was really slow overall and I had a lot of land to use. Wars weren't very hard but I got some bad rolls. I had to kill a lot of offensive units but they're easier to kill than Protective Longbows on hill cities :D

So how'd we do?

Not bad...could have been earlier with some luck and less cities focused on production.

Dr kossin #13 will be up in a while. Maybe tonight, but I can't say for certain.

Well played and nice warring still. When seeing the physics trade I thought 'nukes!' but unfortunately that was not the case. :D

Deity next! Where can I sign the petition! :D

Goodness, that was amazing. Wish I could be half as good on noble :lol:

First time I'm reading and definitely will continue, was lots of fun. :)

...on his nice island with his best friend Toku!

My heart weeps for both of them :lol:.

Top Bottom