Dr kossin #26

Yes, it just edges out Caste workshops. The biggest difference imo is the ability to get things done in 2 turns anywhere you want... every city is productive in a way.

It's unfortunate that the AI has a tendency to workshop over all of its juicy towns when it's in a prolonged war.

edit - this is unrelated but you should play the next BOTM kossin - it should be a deity game.

It's unfortunate that the AI has a tendency to workshop over all of its juicy towns when it's in a prolonged war.

edit - this is unrelated but you should play the next BOTM kossin - it should be a deity game.
I'll have to see if I can fit it in. My schedule gets pretty cramped starting this weekend until mid-April at least. I'll have several days without Civ and some catching up for the coming Daily Rounds.

Round 6

While I was busy building up forces and arranging them in several stacks, Catherine was busy wonder whoring.
Spoiler :

I of course voted for myself and easily won the chair.

As I was about ready to declare war, I spawned another Great Engineer and decided to trigger a Mausoleum-powered Golden Age.
Spoiler :

My first resolution as chairman of the UN was to ban nukes. Gilgamesh had Fission and I didn't want to use them in this game, having enough of an advantage already.
Spoiler :

I was planning on declaring war the next turn but Catherine's culture was eating away some of my tiles and I was afraid I'd get 1 less city on the first turn of war (I already had lost the opportunity for 2 cities) so I call her up and announce the great bad news.
Spoiler :

Before we jump into the war however, here's a quick overview of my strike forces.

The eastern front
Spoiler :

They will attack Smolensk and Rostov. New built bombers are sent to Utrecht

The southeastern front
Spoiler :

Obviously, it will take Yekaterinburg and Nimjegen on the second turn of war.

The southern front
Spoiler :

Kabarovsk and Yakutsk are the intended targets, but as well they will deal with Catherine's SoD that's roaming in the area.
I was planning on taking Yaroslav on the first turn but Catherine's culture made it impossible.

The western front
Spoiler :

Mediolanum is the target, it houses quite a large amount of Russian troops as well as fighters. As a result, my fleet is dedicated to this area for the first few turns.

Let the festivities begin!

When you are using bombers, always send in some Fighters first. They are much tougher and will often shoot down opposing Fighters and take damage from SAMs and other anti-air units. You then allow the Bombers to come in unopposed and wreak havoc.
After that is done, Tanks are free to come in and claim the cities with little opposition. You can even use previously built and new Cavalry at this point, their winning odds are pretty good after Bombers and no culture, even against the better defenders.

The Daily Russian

1730AD A year of infamy! The long Russian-Native America peace is broken by Sitting Bull in a sneak attack on mother Russia.

The Natives' fleet strike against Mediolanum was devastating and followed by Cannons bombardment.
Spoiler :

After several Bomber raids, the city of Smolensk was captured by blitzing tanks that were posted on the border.
Spoiler :

The city of Khabarovsk had a similar fate, also falling.
Spoiler :

Even the city named after Katherine fell to this sudden attack...
Spoiler :

Yakutsk and its neighboring army, were also decimated by enemy tanks. Russia still has some Artillery division that were training in the area just out of range, though they are few and weakened by enemy bombings.
Spoiler :

All remaining Russian troops are to be sent to the front, to repel the enemy. Those that will not fight, will be shot as deserters.
You are to inflict as much damage as possible and fight to the death. Russia needs you!

1735AD The fight goes on.

Mediolanum couldn't hold any longer as Native troops stormed the heavily damaged city.
Spoiler :

Nimjegen, which was deeper into Russian territory, was bombarded day and night by the enemies. Buildings have collapsed all around us and citizens have long fled the city.
Spoiler :

Russia believed Native America had good intentions when they presented us with Gift City. They even slaughtered their own people to attack Russia!
Spoiler :

We have sent messengers to Moskow with reports of the devastation. It is expected Katherine will offer the unconditional surrender of Russia, but will the dogs accept it?

1740AD - Russia Capitulates!

Katherine sent a peace offering to the Natives, under a white flag it is said. I couldn't tell you as I never saw anyone come back from their barbaric land.
Spoiler :

Taking Capitulation now is victory but I thought I'd have a bit more fun...

Despite Russia's good intentions, the unruly dogs kept on destroying Russian heritage and their troops kept gaining ground.

The Influential city of Rostov was captured and the Natives are said to have been talking about its Legendary status.
Spoiler :

Yaroslav wasn't spared from the fighting either. There have been no news from the troops stationed there.
Spoiler :

As Native Bombers were raining death everywhere around me, I was fearing for my life when the building started to collapse. Luckily, I was spared just long enough to be at the Ceremony where Sitting Bull, the Native dog, accepted Russia's shamed Capitulation from Katherine, bent on her knees.

Spoiler :

That put me over the domination limit for good, there was no doubt I could go Capitulate the two other AIs but I think the modern warfare exercise has been accomplished for now. Granted I was never fighting an uphill battle after the Netherlands war but with careful planning, Modern warfare is one of the easiest times to be fighting (although there's a lot of micro...)
Spoiler :

I set every city to build wealth/science and hit enter, winning Domination.
Spoiler :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Post-game

There is no doubt that this game was made a lot easier with the insane starting location. While I fell a bit behind in the Renaissance era from having all those cities, as they matured and as I acquired more workers to improve them, my techrate exploded and I jumped ahead. This especially after I had killed WvO, his land was filled with Towns all over the place.
I'd be curious to see any other attempts at this map, seeing as there were 50 downloads when I last checked. I've taken a look at Grashopa's and it seems he brought the hammer down on Cathy early on. (Please post the rest!).

A very fun game for me with more cottages than I've had in a long time!

End demographics
Spoiler :

#1 everywhere it counts.

Top 5 cities. I've also highlighted the wonders I did not own, as it was easier than showing those I've captured (every other).
Spoiler :

Stuff built/killed/lost
Spoiler :

Power through the last 50 turns
Spoiler :

The stalling point is the turn where I researched Biology and the turn afterwards since I had no gold to rush-buy.

I've attached the auto-save from the DoW turn if anyone cares to try it.

That's it for this game, hope it was entertaining for you as it certainly was for me.
See you tomorrow as usual!

Now that you're done. (Well done!) Here's my tech-situation at 800AD.

I didn't really think it was possible to get steel via Lib on Deity, but there you go...

Problem is ofcourse it all happened too quickly I wasn't able to really prepare for this tech-advantage. I was just holding off on lib as long as possible, and all of a sudden I could trade for GP and doublebulb Chem...

So I couldn't really start my war that much sooner than you. Haven't played it out yet. Will try it out.. but I'm a far better peacemonger than warmonger, that's for sure, so we'll see if I can't find a way to lose :)

The other continent is totally useless so far, really except for a few backfills when I was first to meet them...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 85
I settled the stone first and picked up the pyramids allowing for a GE to bulb machinery so I could get out our totem pole enhanced crossbowmen. Drill 4 crossbowmen are insanely good. C1D4 grenadiers are something like 90% against longbows.

I whipped up about 7 or 8 crossbows and then peacefully built grabbing the Great Library and such while they took Cathy's capital in the north. Heres the 1 AD, Cathy settled right next to me before I even got my 3rd settler out. She doesn't even have iron working at this point.

Spoiler :

Finally capitulate her in 800 AD, after farming a lot of XP off her chariot spam.

Spoiler :

I'm 7 turns from grenadiers at a 350bpt -31 gold rate. I skipped education for the chemistry beeline. I had to do this A) Because I took away a trading partner, B) China was in wtyabta because I stupidly traded for 5 or 6 100 beaker techs early on.

Willem had Schwedagon so he didn't lib beeline and ended up picking chemistry off of liberalism before grabbing steel. He then picked up replaceable parts 980 AD. I stopped here - if he hadn't done the military beeline I'd have attacked with 17 grenadiers and trebs - C2D4 grenadiers are 90+ against longbows. I don't think it will be a problem since I can grab steel and upgrade a bunch of trebs and be on the attack in 15 turns, but I'd have to re micro back to research and I got bored since the game was already over.

Oh yeah I was also in pacificism most of the game since I had less than 20 crossbows built.. Had 5 cities with 50+ gpp popping out great people like crazy. Was on my 14th I think at 1000 AD.

I wasn't sure how good SB's crossbowmen would be, but they were ridiculous. I lost maybe 2 or 3 and I was taking cities with them. I also combat promoted my GGs and didn't lose any at 99+ odds. 2 of them were around 100 XP. Combat 6 and drill 4 on a grenadier is ridiculously good.

I wasn't sure how good SB's crossbowmen would be, but they were ridiculous. I lost maybe 2 or 3 and I was taking cities with them. I also combat promoted my GGs and didn't lose any at 99+ odds. 2 of them were around 100 XP. Combat 6 and drill 4 on a grenadier is ridiculously good.

No Elephants or Catapults? Or were they redundant in this case?

Awesome, amazing warring in the end. I am beginning to think you can pull anything off with your eyes closed. +1 on the hoping you lose one for once camp. :D

Good play for Kossin and Grashopa!

To Grashopa:

In fact, I think crossbow is a bit too expensive. Catapults + Swordsmen + Elephant may have a better quality/price. Actually if I want to rush Cathy I won't settle that two eastern cities so far.

It's a good map/leader for a medieval warfare.

I didn't even bother with a catapult with 99% odds from a combat promoted GG taking out the strongest defender and 90+ odds for drill 4. 5 first strikes and you win untouched.

Another mistake I made was not building the GT - I think 1 turn of anarchy would have been worth 1/turn PRO grenadiers. I workshopped so that city was doing almost 40 hammers so 1 every 3 turns, but 1 every turn and cottages is better. And if I had started the war without cannons the draft would have been a big deal.

Oh and I didn't take a pause from scientists to grow to the happy caps in my cities. Probably not enough workers.

Attachments

• kossin BC-0325.CivBeyondSwordSave
    168.1 KB · Views: 50
@Bugg123
Any chance to see more of the game? Perhaps a save would be handy.

@Grashopa
Nice gambit! You can probably just plow through Willem and then Hatty+Qin for Domination after cannons+upgrades.

Awesome game and a great read. Love the demonstration of modern warfare on deity, never seen that before. I feel I'm learning a fair few tricks by following these and checking out the saves, keep up the good work! :goodjob:

Tokug next maybe? ;)

@Kossin

No problem. 800 AD save attached.

Attachments

• Bugg AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    231.2 KB · Views: 41
Grashopa:
What would the GT accomplish? Grenadiers cannot be drafted if that is what you are suggesting.

Top Bottom