Mafia Game: The Lord of the Rings (Game Thread)

Diamondeye said:
Beefy187
CCRunner v2.0
classical_hero
Double A
DrumStudent
Lord OST
Snerk

I'm guessing Snerk, Classical and CCRunner. Not sure though.

Oh so close, but your interesting theory that Beefy wasn't mafia was not exactly correct. :lol:

Autolycus said:
Ooh, Ooh pick me!!!
I'm going to guess that Snerk is Saruman, Beefy is Grima Wormtongue, CCRunner is Lurtz, and I was Ugluk.:)
Mordor was composed of Gothmog: Stuck in Pi
Witch King: Civplayah
Sauron: Sprig
Nazgul Dark Rider: tycoonist
Nazgul Fell Beast Rider: Civgeneral.
I might have gotten those last two backwards.;)

Wow. Good guesses. How on earth did you figure that out? :p

RRRaskolnikov said:
Ok here are my guesses (have been reading the thread but not thinking much at it since my death, so i hope it provides you with a good laugh :p):

Saruman: Classical hero
Wormtongue: Beefy
Lurtz: The Last One

Ras

One out of three ain't bad. :lol:

Takhisis said:
Camikaze said:
Takhisis said:
Here we go:
  • Snerk-Saruman
  • Beefy-Wormtongue
  • CCRunner-Lurtz
Do I have to justify my choices?

You don't have to, but it would be interesting...
OK,
Snerk=tipoff 8was obvious anyway, as I was already suspecting him, but I thought he was either Wormtongue or Lurtz until...
Beefy: he claims to be Mafia, he's diverting attention from the big fish (who's been very helpful to the good guys and is a terribly good mole) and, to cream it off, you yourself have said that the only way to win was to kill Beefy before Lurtz revived.
CCRunner... he replaces a lurker instead of being WOG'd like the rest of them.
Classical_hero ain't, Autolycus had been PM'ing loads of dung C_h's way, and now Snerk's bandwaggoning on him.

Well, correct, but...incorrect reasoning. CCRunner was converted after Auto's death. He was chosen by Beefy and Snerk because he had been scanned innocent. So I didn't WOG Charles Li, but rather replaced him, not because it was a major role )it was pretty minor until he was converted), but because Charles Li had said that he would give up his role is someone came to take it. And CCRunner did.

Well done to Zack, BTW, for correctly guessing the mafia a few days ago, and to choxorn, who was reasonably close.

I was so dead certain that Bad Player was not mafia (and DEFINITELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS not Ugluk), but I didn't know how to convince anyone else.

I just want to say that when it came to guessing what Camikaze would and would not do as a GM, I got it wrong every single time.

Was Snerk lynchable before my death?

I'm pretty sure I was yeah.

Yeah, Mordor had both sprig and civplayah as initially unlynchable (?), and Isengard had Wormtongue. The clue in the write-up that I was trying to hint to was when you tried to lynch Beefy a second time. It said something like, "he could not be killed until one other had died". And then Autolycus died. So after Auto died, you could've, and should've, killed Beefy. For the town to have had any realistic chance of winning, they needed to lynch Beefy on Day Seventeen, although if they lynched Beefy on Day Eighteen, Isengard would've won anyway.

I just want to say that when it came to guessing what Camikaze would and would not do as a GM, I got it wrong every single time.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Ok, I'll post the role now, so if you could hold off on posting for a couple of minutes so all the Role PMs can be in adjacent posts, that would be good. :)

I honestly thought the "death of another" referred to a specific other Isengard - which Ugluk could fit that bill of course, but it wasn't just "the death of one other" which I think would have clued us in more had that actually been the case. Anyway I/don't know about others saw it as odd that it wouldn't be Saruman himself who was unlynchable leading to some viewing of Beefy as Saruman rather than Wormtongue at least before the last couple of Days. (or, if not, that Saruman was also unlynchable)

As far as GMing - a lot of it makes much more sense in retrospect but I think I wasn't as surprised. Instead, I was VERY surprised that first night to find out all the killers...and it turns out something WAS quite wrong - we got all that info because it really didn't do us much good in the end, they all had cover roles! But after it was obvious that Innocence/etc... wasn't being revealed I kinda figured we'd have to go with it the rest of the way. And some things we couldn't have guessed (conversion) but for instance it was obvious "something" was up - Isengard wasn't just inactive and unable to do anything, turns out they were busy converting someone.

@Renata again - part of the problem was that everyone defending Bad Player was only because "Earthling was guilty." We desperately needed Winston (if not corrupted, and he wasn't) to step in and say there was just some mixup, I was doing what I had been asked to anyway, and Bad Player was just hopelessly out of the loop/confused but Innocent.
Edit: holding off on posting anyway, gotcha.

Yeah, Mordor had both sprig and civplayah as initially unlynchable (?), and Isengard had Wormtongue. The clue in the write-up that I was trying to hint to was when you tried to lynch Beefy a second time. It said something like, "he could not be killed until one other had died". And then Autolycus died. So after Auto died, you could've, and should've, killed Beefy. For the town to have had any realistic chance of winning, they needed to lynch Beefy on Day Seventeen, although if they lynched Beefy on Day Eighteen, Isengard would've won anyway.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

From my perspective, bad.

The problem with Beefy was that there was no way to know he was Wormtongue and not Saruman; and no way to know whether Autolycus or the third Isengard was the one who needed to die first before Beefy could. And if we got it wrong, we missed yet *another* lynch. Not to mention that with Ugluk dead and little reason beyond sheer paranoia to suspect a conversion ability, there was no reason to think it really mattered. (Conversion did occur to me based on that one write-up, but I thought no way, it can't be that hard.) I even speculated at one point that maybe we didn't need to kill Beefy at all (if he was Wormtongue), due to him just taking off and "disappearing" in the original story. And I fully expected Saruman to be unlynchable, given the example of both Sprig and Civplayah.

That's the kind of thing I mean when I say I never was even close to having a handle on the metagame aspects here. It was frustrating for me.

I don't want to take anything away from you or the Isengard team by saying this -- they played well, and this was a great game in very many ways. Just saying my perspective. Cheers.

The Torch, when used, gave the leaders of Gondor, Denethor, and Rohan each other's cover roles. At that time, that put me in contact with atpg and diamondeye.
Snerk did use his ability. We all had access to our own and our cover roles' abilities.
I'd say the primary thing that broke this game was Beefy's immunity to lynch while I was alive. We lose if that hadn't been there. Speaking of which, much sadness at Beefy for replying to everyone when I BCCed him, I might have survived if he hadn't done that. On another note, was Snerk lynchable before I died? If so, then I am sad that I didn't try to get him lynched to make myself the Dark Lord Ugluk.

This is when I need my :creep: smilie from the org.
Sorry Autolycus. Really stuffed up there.

Thank you Camikaze for the wonderful game.
I had infinite recruiting ability as long as Isengard member was below 3 men.
Which I thought was unfair for the towns. Then I had the lynch immunity which I never knew about. Which was extremely fun. :D

But town must've had something to make it up.
Big thanks to my mafia buddies Master Saruman Snerk and Ugluk Autolycus. Lurtz CCRunner although it was a short run with him:goodjob:. Isengard wouldn't have got anywhere without them especially since I was lurking most game without anyone to convert.

Big clap to the towns who almost got us despite the seemingly mafia skewed set up

Wish you'd been just a little more adventurous with your voting, Takhisis;
What??? I voted for Snerk and was right... and I voted Earthling foe antagonising pretty much everyone.
I'm pretty sure I was yeah.
So that's why you were hiding.... actually, that's canon, as Gríma is the one who kills Saruman.
I was so dead certain that Bad Player was not mafia (and DEFINITELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS not Ugluk), but I didn't know how to convince anyone else.
Try arguing more by private. You suddenly clammed up and stopped answering.
Well, correct, but...incorrect reasoning. CCRunner was converted after Auto's death. He was chosen by Beefy and Snerk because he had been scanned innocent. So I didn't WOG Charles Li, but rather replaced him, not because it was a major role )it was pretty minor until he was converted), but because Charles Li had said that he would give up his role is someone came to take it. And CCRunner did.
Oh I see...

Now can we all hold off posting?

Role PMs

[IMP]Warman8888 (Rider of Rohan)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

You are an Innocent. If you are confused about any information in this PM, please do not hesitate to ask questions.

RIDER OF ROHAN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Rider of Rohan, are a strong and brave member of the Rohirrim, the horse lords or Rohan, under the command of Éomer. You are loyal to Rohan, and do what you can to preserve Middle Earth against the forces of Isengard and Mordor, who would surely rule the world with the One Ring.

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine if they are a member of the Rohan faction, or not a member of the Rohan faction. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Innocent victory. The One Ring is possessed by an Innocent at the end of the game.

SURVIVAL VICTORY CONDITION
  • Survive to the end of the game.

PERSONAL VICTORY CONDITION
  • Éomer survives to the end of the game.

FACTION VICTORY CONDITION
  • Rohan is the largest faction at the end of the game.

ABILITY/ITEM VICTORY CONDITION
  • Determine the faction of at least two other members of the Rohan faction.

Arakhor (Galadriel)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

You are an Innocent. If you are confused about any information in this PM, please do not hesitate to ask questions.

GALADRIEL

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Galadriel, the Lady of the Wood, are the elf-queen of Lothlórien, husband of Celeborn. You are the most powerful of the elves, and one of the most powerful beings on Middle Earth, and as such, will play an important part in ensuring that the One Ring, the most dangerous weapon of all, does not fall into the hands of the enemy.

FACTION
  • Elf

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, select a character to investigate their true alignment (innocent, mafia, etc., not to be confused with 'faction'). This is an infallible ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • Light of Eärendil. This item gives you no special abilities, but may be useful for other characters. This item may be given away to any character during any Night Phase, as a Night Phase Ability, via an order sent to me.
  • Elven Cloak. This item gives you no special abilities, but may be useful for other characters. This item may be given away to any character during any Night Phase, as a Night Phase Ability, via an order sent to me.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Innocent victory. The One Ring is possessed by an Innocent at the end of the game.

• Celeborn survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of elves survive to the end of the game.

• Give two items to the ring-bearer.

askthepizzaguy (Boromir)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

BOROMIR

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Boromir, are the son of the Steward of Gondor, Denethor, and brother of Faramir. Although you love your father, your loyalty is to Gondor and the Fellowship (although not that usurper Aragorn), not to the whims of the caretaker ruler. You struggle, however, to resist the temptation to take the Precious Ring, the One Ring that would unleash mayhem on Middle Earth if in the hands of the enemy, as you work to ensure that that horrid fate does not befall the world.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Gondor

ABILITIES
  • Can (three times) protect the ring bearer. This means that you may on three occasions of your own choosing attempt to protect the bearer of the One Ring. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be the ring bearer. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. Additionally, you may choose to take the ring from the ring bearer on any of these three occasions, provided that the ring bearer is actually attacked and your protection is actually successful. This is a Night Phase Ability. And a word of warning...beware with your use of this ability. There is a small chance of things going awry.
  • Fellowship Ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine their faction.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive Aragorn.

• Gondor is the largest faction at the end of the game.

• Possess the One Ring.

Autolycus (Théoden/Uglúk)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

You are Mafia. As such, you have two roles; your 'cover' role, and your Mafia role. Please note that you may utilise the abilities of your 'cover' role AS WELL AS the abilities of your Mafia role (for example, if your 'cover' role has the ability to investigate each night, and your Mafia role has the ability to kill each night, you may both investigate and kill each night). You may also notice that your Mafia role only has 4 victory conditions, compared to the 5 for your 'cover' role. Your 5 actual victory conditions are your Mafia role's 4, plus the Ability/Item Victory Condition of your 'cover' role. So, you are still aiming for that particular victory condition to make up the 5. Please PM me if you are at all confused.

'COVER' ROLE
THEODEN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, King Théoden, are the gallant and brave leader of Rohan. Your people look up to you, and you give them reason to hope in these dark times. As the threat to Middle Earth increases, you will play a vital role in keeping your people safe and ensuring the One Ring does not fall into enemy hands.

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine their faction. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • Throne of Rohan. Whoever possesses the Throne of Rohan may one one occasion control all votes by members of the Rohan faction for one day. In order to make use of this, you must send in an order the Night immediately prior to the day in which you control the votes, stating your intention to use the Throne, and who the members of the Rohan faction will be forced to vote for. Remember, this can only be used by you once. If you die, the Throne of Rohan will be passed to your heir, Théodred.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Théodred survives to the end of the game.

• Use the Throne of Rohan to force votes for a mafia player.

MAFIA ROLE
UGLUK

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Uglúk, are Captain of Saruman's Uruk-Hai Scouts. You are loyal to your master, and will let none get in your way. You carry out your master's will, killing all that stands in between you and the One Ring, with which Saruman would be able to rule Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Isengard

ABILITIES
  • Can (once per turn) kill. This means that every night you must confer with your Isengard colleagues and decide on a victim, whose identity will be relayed to me by yourself and by your leader, Saruman.
  • You know the identity of all members of the Isengard faction. Saruman; Snerk, whose cover role is Celeborn. Wormtongue; Beefy187, whose cover role is Eothain. Please note that Saruman is the faction leader.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Isengard Victory. The One Ring is possessed by a member of the Isengard faction at the end of the game.

• The Isengard faction is larger than the Hobbit faction at the end of the game.

• Kill Merry and/or Pippin.

Bad Player (Madril)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

MADRIL

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Madril, are a ranger under the command of Faramir, Captain of Gondor. You owe your unwavering allegiance to Gondor, helping to fight the evils of Middle Earth that search for the One Ring, with which they would undoubtedly wreak havoc upon the lands of the world.

FACTION
  • Gondor

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine their faction. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Faramir survives to the end of the game.

• Successfully determine the faction of two members of the Hobbit faction.

Beefy187 (Éothain/Wormtongue)- before conversion to Denethor
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

You are Mafia. As such, you have two roles; your 'cover' role, and your Mafia role. Please note that you may utilise the abilities of your 'cover' role AS WELL AS the abilities of your Mafia role (for example, if your 'cover' role has the ability to investigate each night, and your Mafia role has the ability to kill each night, you may both investigate and kill each night). You may also notice that your Mafia role only has 4 victory conditions, compared to the 5 for your 'cover' role. Your 5 actual victory conditions are your Mafia role's 4, plus the Ability/Item Victory Condition of your 'cover' role. So, you are still aiming for that particular victory condition to make up the 5. Please PM me if you are at all confused.

'COVER' ROLE
ÉOTHAIN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Éothain, are a young boy who escaped the hordes of Isengard with your sister Freda. You look after your younger sister, and attempt to survive in these evil times, doing what little you can to prevent the One Ring from finding the enemy.

FACTION
  • Gondor. Note that in the LOTR movies you are from Rohan...but...in this game your are a member of the Gondor faction.

ABILITIES
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Freda; CivGeneral.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Freda survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of the Gondor faction survives to the end of the game.

• Vote for a mafia character on two occasions.

MAFIA ROLE
WORMTONGUE

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gríma Wormtongue, are the servant of Saruman of Isengard, charged with spying on and poisoning the minds of his opponents. You seek nothing more than power and pleasure, which Saruman has promised in reward for your service, which will prove invaluable in finding the One Ring, with which your master can rule Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Isengard

ABILITIES
  • Conversion ability. This means that you may, on the day or night immediately following the death of another member of the Isengard faction, recruit another player of your choice to the Isengard faction (via an order sent to me). Note that some characters will be impervious to your poisoned tongue, but you may continue in your conversion attempts (one per turn) until Isengard's numbers are replenished. This is both a Day and Night Phase Ability. You may perform this ability any time that you wish, and it will take effect the following Day or Night.
  • You know the identity of all members of the Isengard faction. Saruman; Snerk, whose cover role is Celeborn. Uglúk; Autolycus, whose cover role is Theoden. Please note that Saruman is the faction leader.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Isengard Victory. The One Ring is possessed by a member of the Isengard faction at the end of the game.

• The Isengard faction has 3 members at the end of the game.

• Successfully convert at least one character to Isengard.

And after...
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
ÉOTHAIN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Éothain, are a young boy who escaped the hordes of Isengard with your sister Freda. You look after your younger sister, and attempt to survive in these evil times, doing what little you can to prevent the One Ring from finding the enemy. However, you have been recruited by Denethor, steward of Gondor, to serve his cause.

FACTION
  • Denethor.

ABILITIES
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Freda; CivGeneral.
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Denethor; Diamondeye and Iorlas; Csargo.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Denethor victory. Denethor's faction is the largest faction at the end of the game.

• Denethor survives to the end of the game.

• There are no remaining members of the Gondor faction at the end of the game.

MAFIA ROLE
WORMTONGUE

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gríma Wormtongue, are the servant of Saruman of Isengard, charged with spying on and poisoning the minds of his opponents. You seek nothing more than power and pleasure, which Saruman has promised in reward for your service, which will prove invaluable in finding the One Ring, with which your master can rule Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Isengard

ABILITIES
  • Conversion ability. This means that you may, on the day or night immediately following the death of another member of the Isengard faction, recruit another player of your choice to the Isengard faction (via an order sent to me). Note that some characters will be impervious to your poisoned tongue, but you may continue in your conversion attempts (one per turn) until Isengard's numbers are replenished. This is both a Day and Night Phase Ability. You may perform this ability any time that you wish, and it will take effect the following Day or Night.
  • You know the identity of all members of the Isengard faction. Saruman; Snerk, whose cover role is Celeborn. Uglúk; Autolycus, whose cover role is Theoden. Please note that Saruman is the faction leader.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• The Isengard faction has 3 members at the end of the game.

• Successfully convert at least one character to Isengard.

CCRunner (Barliman Butterbur)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

BARLIMAN BUTTERBUR

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Barliman Butterbur, are the owner of the Inn of the Prancing Pony in Bree. You are a pillar of your community, and a friendly innkeeper, who seeks to help the little master Frodo as he seeks to prevent the capture of the One Ring by the forces of evil, who would destroy everything good on Middle Earth should they gain it.

FACTION
  • Miscellaneous Town

ABILITIES
  • Role Block Ability. This means that you may, once per turn, intoxicate a character, causing them to be unable to perform their role. Be careful who you choose to intoxicate, however, as some may have an experienced gut, and some may find your drinks too strong for their bodies. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Harry Goatleaf survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of the Miscellaneous Town faction survives to the end of the game.

• Role Block at least one mafia character.

CCRunner v2 (Haleth)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

HALETH

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Haleth, son of Háma, are but a boy of fourteen, called up for service by the King of Rohan, Théoden. You are scared of the task ahead of you, helping to ensure that the One Ring does not fall into enemy hands, but you carry it out courageously. Even though you have seen too few winters, and the men say that you will not last long, you fight for Rohan, with the fate of Middle Earth influenced by your success or failure.

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) role block a character. This means that you can, on one occasion of your choosing, role block a character (prevent them from performing their role). This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Aragorn survives to the end of the game.

• Role block a mafia character.

And after conversion as (Haleth/Lurtz)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
HALETH

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Haleth, son of Háma, are but a boy of fourteen, called up for service by the King of Rohan, Théoden. You are scared of the task ahead of you, helping to ensure that the One Ring does not fall into enemy hands, but you carry it out courageously. Even though you have seen too few winters, and the men say that you will not last long, you fight for Rohan, with the fate of Middle Earth influenced by your success or failure.

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) role block a character. This means that you can, on one occasion of your choosing, role block a character (prevent them from performing their role). This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Aragorn survives to the end of the game.

• Role block a mafia character.

MAFIA ROLE
LURTZ

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Lurtz, are now Captain of Saruman's Uruk-Hai Scouts, following the death of Uglúk. You are loyal to your master, and will let none get in your way. You carry out your master's will, killing all that stands in between you and the One Ring, with which Saruman would be able to rule Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Isengard

ABILITIES
  • Can (once per turn) kill. This means that every night you must confer with your Isengard colleagues and decide on a victim, whose identity will be relayed to me by yourself and by your leader, Saruman.
  • You know the identity of all members of the Isengard faction. Saruman; Snerk, whose cover role is Celeborn. Wormtongue; Beefy187, whose cover role is Eothain, and who is responsible for your conversion. Please note that Saruman is the faction leader. Autolycus was Uglúk.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive all members of the Hobbit faction.

• Kill two elves.

choxorn (Gandalf the Grey)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

GANDALF THE GREY

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gandalf the Grey, are a wizard and former colleague of the traitor and villain Saruman, who searches for the One Ring, the most powerful ring on Middle Earth. As the most powerful member of the Fellowship and faithful friend of Frodo Baggins, you must ensure that the ring does not fall into the hands of Saruman, or any other enemy.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Miscellaneous Town

ABILITIES
  • Protection ability. This means that you can, once per night, select a character to protect from any enemies. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Fellowship Ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine their faction.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Frodo survives to the end of the game.

• Gwaihir the Eagle survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of Fellowship survive to the end of the game.

• Successfully protect a character.

choxorn (Gandalf the White)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

GANDALF THE WHITE

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gandalf the White, have risen from Gandalf the Grey, after he faced death at the hands of (insert character). You have been invigorated in your quest to save everyone from the peril that would befall Middle Earth should the One Ring fall into enemy hands.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Miscellaneous Town

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) investigate a character to determine their true alignment. This means that you can on one occasion investigate a character of your choice to determine their true alignment (innocent, mafia, etc., not to be confused with 'faction'). This is an infallible ability. As this ability has only one use, choose carefully. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Protection ability. This means that you can, once per night, select a character to protect from any enemies. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Majority of Fellowship survive to the end of the game.

• Uncover the true alignment of a mafia.

CivGeneral (Freda/Nazgûl Fell Beast Rider)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
FREDA

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Freda, are a young girl who escaped the hordes of Isengard as they raged across the land. You escaped with your older brother, Éothain. You do what little you can in these evil times to prevent the enemy coming into possession of the One Ring, with which they would surely rule Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Gondor. Note that in the LOTR movies you are from Rohan...but...in this game your are a member of the Gondor faction.

ABILITIES
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Éothain; Beefy187.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Éothain survives to the end of the game.

MAFIA ROLE
NAZGUL FELL BEAST RIDER

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, the Nazgûl Fell Beast Rider, are a feared Ring-Wraith, servant of Lord Sauron under the command of the Witch-King of Angmar. Your sole purpose is to find the One Ring, with which Sauron will be able to rule Middle Earth. You will let nothing get in your way, as you fly on your feared fell beast, killing all that stands in your way.

FACTION
  • Mordor

ABILITIES
  • Can (once per turn) kill. This means that every night you must confer with your Mordor colleagues and decide on a victim, whose identity will be relayed to me by the Witch-King of Angmar and by your leader, Lord Sauron. Note that Mordor has two kills each night; one by yourself in concert with the Witch-King of Angmar and the other Nazgûl, and one by Gothmog.
  • You know the identity of all members of the Mordor faction. Lord Sauron; sprig, whose cover character is Elven Archer. The Witch-King of Angmar; civplayah, whose cover character is Eomer. Nazgûl Horse Rider; tycoonist, whose cover character is Everard Proudfoot. Gothmog; Stuck in Pi, whose cover character is Pippin. Please note that Lord Sauron is your faction leader, and your kill orders must be sent by both Lord Sauron and the Witch-King of Angmar to be confirmed (barring exceptional circumstances).

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Mordor Victory. The One Ring is possessed by a member of the Mordor faction at the end of the game.

• No members of the Fellowship faction remain at the end of the game.

• Kill the ring-bearer.

civplayah (Éomer/Witch-King of Angmar)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
ÉOMER

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Éomer, are the nephew of Théoden, King of Rohan. As Marshal of the Riddermark, your are in charge of the Riders of Rohan, the Rohirrim. They are loyal to you, and you are loyal to your King, and to Rohan. You are a fierce and experienced warrior, and will play an important part in ensuring the enemy does not gain the One Ring, the ultimate weapon with which it could wreak havoc on Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) investigate a character to determine their true alignment. This means that you can on one occasion investigate a character of your choice to determine their true alignment (innocent, mafia, etc., not to be confused with 'faction'). This is an infallible ability. As this ability has only one use, choose carefully. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Théoden survives to the end of the game.

• Rohan are the largest faction at the end of the game.

MAFIA ROLE
WITCH-KING OF ANGMAR

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, the Witch-King of Angmar, are Sauron's most deadly servant. You are the most powerful of the Nazgûl, or which you are the leader. Your lair of Minas Morgul serves as a base through which you can carry out your Lord Sauron's will, finding the One Ring through whatever means necessary.

FACTION
  • Mordor

ABILITIES
  • Can (once per turn) kill. This means that every night you must confer with your Mordor colleagues and decide on a victim, whose identity will be relayed to me by yourself and by your leader, Lord Sauron. Note that Mordor has two kills each night; one by yourself in concert with the other Nazgûl, and one by Gothmog.
  • Can (three times) role block. This means that on three occasions of your own choosing, you may role block a character. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • You know the identity of all members of the Mordor faction. Lord Sauron; sprig, whose cover role is Elven Archer. Gothmog; Stuck in Pi, whose cover role is Pippin. Nazgûl Horse Rider; tycoonist, whose cover role is Everard Proudfoot. Nazgûl Fell beast Rider; CivGeneral, whose cover role is Freda. Please note that Lord Sauron is your faction leader, and your kill order must be sent by both Lord Sauron and yourself to be confirmed (barring exceptional circumstances).

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Mordor Victory. The One Ring is possessed by a member of the Mordor faction at the end of the game.

• No members of the Miscellaneous Town faction remain at the end of the game.

• Kill Gandalf.

classical_hero (Samwise)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

SAM

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Samwise Gamgee, are the faithful companion of the ring-bearer, Frodo Baggins. The One Ring is the most powerful weapon on Middle Earth. With it, the enemy could bring down terror on the innocent like none seen before. Although merely a small hobbit from the Shire, you must ensure that the ring does not fall into enemy hands.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Hobbit

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect Frodo. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect the character of Frodo. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be Frodo. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive Gollum.

• Majority of Hobbits survive to the end of the game.

• Successfully choose Frodo to protect.

Csargo (Iorlas)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

You are a neutral character, i.e. you are neither designated as innocent or mafia. If you are confused about any information in this PM, please do not hesitate to ask questions.

IORLAS

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Iorlas, are a man of Gondor, although your allegiance falls not to Gondor, but to your Steward, Denethor. You must ensure that the faction of Denethor survives the perils of Middle Earth, warding off any potential factions that pose a threat to that of Denethor; particularly that usurper Aragorn and his band of Gondorian rebels.

FACTION
  • Denethor

ABILITIES
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Denethor; Diamondeye. You know the identity of the Guard of the Beacon of Minas Tirith; Khazaar.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Denethor victory. Denethor's faction is the largest faction at the end of the game.

• Guard of the Beacon of Minas Tirith survives to the end of the game.

• Outlive all members of Gondor's faction.

• Successfully determine the faction of two members of the Gondor faction.

D'Artagnan59 (Rosie Cotton)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

ROSIE COTTON

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Rosie Cotton, are a hobbit and barmaid at the Green Dragon Inn in the Shire. You have many admirers, the foremost of which is Samwise. You will do whatever it takes to help him and Frodo keep the One Ring out of enemy hands, for the sake of Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Hobbit

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) investigate a character to determine their true alignment. This means that you can on one occasion investigate a character of your choice to determine their true alignment (innocent, mafia, etc., not to be confused with 'faction'). This is an infallible ability, although note that some may be impervious to your charms. As this ability has only one use, choose carefully. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Samwise survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of hobbits survive to the end of the game.

Diamondeye (Denethor)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

You are a neutral character, i.e. you are neither designated as innocent or mafia. If you are confused about any information in this PM, please do not hesitate to ask questions.

DENETHOR

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Denethor II, are the Steward of Gondor. Although you are in charge of Gondor, you will not bow to that ranger from the north, Aragorn, and only live to serve your own needs. You will have no part in the battle of the One Ring. Your battle is for your Stewardship.

FACTION
  • Denethor

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine whether they are part of the Gondor faction, part of the Hobbit faction, or neither. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can (three times) convert a character of the Gondor or Hobbit factions to your faction. This means that you may on three occasions of your own choosing attempt to convert a character of the Gondor or Hobbit factions to your faction. For this ability to be successful, the player you select to convert must be either a member of the Gondor faction, or of the Hobbit faction. Failure to select a correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. Note that some players are impervious to your ability, and may not be swayed by your conversion attempt. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Iorlas; Csargo. You know the identity of the Guard of the Beacon of Minas Tirith; Khazaar.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive Aragorn.

• Convert at least one character to your faction.

Diana Abnoba (Elrond)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

ELROND

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Lord Elrond, are ruler of Rivendell. As one of the most respected elves on Middle Earth, you will carry a heavy burden as you help to keep safe the One Ring, with which the enemy would wield untold force. You are father to Arwen, and wish for her to be happy; to not waste her life on a fool's hope of victory and life with the Gondorian Aragorn, although you will do all within your power to breath life into that small, fading hope.

FACTION
  • Elf

ABILITIES
  • Can (three times) protect Aragorn and other members of the Elf faction. This means that you may on three occasions of your choosing attempt to protect the character of Aragorn, or other elves. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must either be Aragorn or an elf. Failure to select a correct player will result in the forfeiture of one use of this ability; your use of the ability will have been wasted. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • Narsil. The blade that was broken. Only you may reforge this legendary sword as Andúril, and only Aragorn can wield it. You may gift this sword to Aragorn, and Aragorn only, as a Night Phase Ability. Both the reforging of the sword and the gifting of the sword can be done via an order sent to me. If you do not choose the correct player to gift it to, the sword will not be gifted. This item gives you no special abilities.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Arwen survives to the end of the game.

• Arwen chooses to be part of the elf faction.

• Reforge Narsil as Andúril, and gift to Aragorn.

Double A (Gollum/Sméagol)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

You hold a very unique role. You have one character, but that character has two roles. Please read here if you are unfamiliar with the character (and hence the reasons for representing him in two roles). You will alternate between the two roles of Gollum and Sméagol, turn by turn, with Gollum being your role on odd turns (Day & Night 1, 3, 5, etc.) and Sméagol being your role on even turns (Day & Night 2, 4, 6, etc.). Your abilities depend on which role you are, and your victory conditions will depend on what role you are in the turn the game ends (if you are dead, it will be decided by whether the game ends on an even or odd turn). Note that Gollum can be regarded as a Mafia role, and Sméagol as an Innocent role. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions regarding your roles or this PM if you are unsure about anything.

'ODD TURN' ROLE
GOLLUM

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gollum, are the creature who possessed the One Ring for many centuries, before it was found by Bilbo Baggins. You once were Sméagol, but the One Ring, your Precious Ring, poisoned your mind, turned you into the creature you are. But your Precious has been stolen, and you must get it back, whatever the cost. Those filthy hobbits stole it from you!

FACTION
  • Gollum. You are the only member of this faction.

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) kill. This means that you may, on one occasion of your choosing kill any character at night. You will come into possession of any items they possess. Should you target another Mafia character, you will die in your attempt. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Gollum victory. You possess the One Ring at the end of the game.

• Outlive Samwise.

• No members of the Hobbit faction remain at the end of the game.

• Kill the ring-bearer, and hence come into possession of the One Ring.

'EVEN TURN' ROLE
SMEAGOL

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Sméagol, were once not too dissimilar to a hobbit. But you killed your friend Déagol for the One Ring, the Precious, and it destroyed you, allowing Gollum to take control of you. But you don't need Gollum anymore. You can fend for yourself. The Precious must not come into the hands of the enemy, the Precious must be protected.

FACTION
  • Miscellaneous Town

ABILITIES
  • Can (three times) role block. This means that you may on three occasions of your own choosing role block a character. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Hobbits are the largest faction at the end of the game.

• Successfully role block a mafia.

Note that after his lynching, Double A became Gollum permanently.

DrumStudent (Figwit)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

FIGWIT

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Figwit, are an elf escort of Rivendell. Although you are only of lowly societal rank, you find yourself in position to affect the course of events, to help save Middle Earth from the great despair that would befall it should the enemy come into possession of the One Ring.

FACTION
  • Elf

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine if they are an elf, or not an elf. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Elves are the largest faction at the end of the game.

• Determine the faction of at least two other elves.

Earthling (Haldir)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

HALDIR

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Haldir, are an elf of Lothlórien, and leader of a regiment of Elven Archers. You are brave and courageous, and will face death as you help stop the enemy from gaining possession of the One Ring, the weapon with which they could wreck untold havoc upon the lands of Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Elf

ABILITIES
  • Can (three times) protect a character. This means that you may on three occasions of your own choosing attempt to protect a character. You will die if this protection is successful. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Do not survive to the end of the game.

• Majority of elves survive to the end of the game.

• Successfully choose to protect a member of the Rohan faction.

electric926 (King of the Dead)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

You are a neutral character (neither specifically Innocent or Mafia). If you are confused about any information in this PM, please do not hesitate to ask questions.

KING OF THE DEAD

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, King of the Dead, are a member of the living dead, cursed until your oath be fulfilled and you can rest in peace. You desire nothing more than your freedom from this world, but you cannot leave yet. You care not for the trivialities of the living. Your only desire is to have your oath fulfilled, so you must no longer wander the Dimholt.

FACTION
  • Army of the Dead. You are the only member of this faction.

ABILITIES
  • Cannot be killed until Elrond reforges the sword Narsil as Andúril, and gives it to Aragorn. For this to happen, Elrond must know the identity of Aragorn.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Elrond reforges Narsil as Andúril and gives it to Aragorn.

• Do not survive to the end of the game.

• Outlive Denethor.

• The Gondor faction is larger than the Denethor faction at the end of the game.

• Publicly name Aragorn in the game thread.

I think that was my most poorly constructed role.

Frozen In Ice (Rohan Peasant)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

ROHAN PEASANT

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Rohan Peasant, have been called up by your King, Théoden, in this dire time, to help defend Rohan from the evil forces from the East. You have seen too many winters, but you are one of the few who still is half capable of defending the people.

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect Haleth. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect the character of Haleth. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be Haleth. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Gamling survives to the end of the game.

• The Rohan faction is larger than the Gondor faction at the end of the game.

• Successfully choose Haleth to protect.

johnhughthom (Déagol)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

DEAGOL

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Déagol, are the cousin of Sméagol, and one time ring-bearer. But Sméagol murdered you for the One Ring, and fled into exile. Miraculously, you have come back to life, and you desire nothing more than to save Middle Earth from the evil you saw in your death. And to avenge your own death...

FACTION
  • Hobbit

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine if they are a member of the Hobbit faction, or not a member of the Hobbit faction. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive Sméagol.

• Determine the faction of at least two other members of the Hobbit faction.

Khazaar (Guard of the Beacon of Minas Tirith)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

GUARD OF THE BEACON OF MINAS TIRITH (Minas Tirith Guard, for short)

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Guard of the Beacon of Minas Tirith, are a sworn servant of the Steward of Gondor, Denethor. You answer to no-one but Denethor, and are loyal to him, not to Gondor. Your job is simple; guard the Beacon of Minas Tirith to prevent any folly and dabbling in the War of the Ring, that foolish thing the rest of Middle Earth is fighting over.

FACTION
  • Denethor

ABILITIES
  • Can (three times) prevent a specific character from stealing items. This means that you can on three occasions of your own choosing select a character to prevent from item stealing. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Denethor; Diamondeye. You know the identity of Iorlas; Csargo.

ITEMS
  • Torch of the Beacon of Minas Tirith. This item gives you no special abilities. However, you must, above all else, ensure that it is not stolen by anyone, who would then use it to light the Beacon of Minas Tirith, something expressly against the wishes of Denethor. You may not give this item to anyone.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive Pippin.

• The Beacon of Minas Tirith is not lit.

kill fire (Harry Goatleaf)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

HARRY GOATLEAF

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Harry Goatleaf, are the gatekeeper of West Bree, charged with protecting the entrance to the town. Your post may not be of the highest significance, but you can play a crucial role in protecting the One Ring, and making sure the enemy does not gain control of Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Miscellaneous Town

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) investigate a character's abilities. This means that you may, on one occasion of your own choosing, investigate a character to determine what, if any, their ability or abilities are. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can (twice) role block. This means that you may, on two occasions of your own choosing, prevent a character from performing their role at night. This is a Night Phase Ability. Be warned, however, that some of the fiercer characters may not take too kindly to being blocked.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Barliman Butterbur survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of the Miscellaneous Town faction survives to the end of the game.

• Role block a mafia.

Lord OST (Beechbone)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

BEECHBONE

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Beechbone, are an ent of Fangorn Forest, and friend of Treebeard. You enthusiastically follow your leader Treebeard into war to avenge the atrocities committed to your kind by the evils of Isengard and Mordor. You will do all in your power to prevent the capture of the One Ring by the enemy, with which they would rule mercilessly Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Ent

ABILITIES
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of all fellow ents. Leaflock; z4ckdabeast. Skinbark; Nictel. Treebeard; Methos.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• At least one of every innocent faction survives to the end of the game.

• At least three ents (including yourself) survive to the end of the game.

• Determine the faction of at least two members of the Hobbit faction.

Love (Gwaihir)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

GWAIHIR

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gwaihir the Eagle, are the swiftest and greatest of all eagles on Middle Earth. You are a close friend of Gandalf, and help to ensure the One Ring stays safe from the forces of evil in the world. You may be but an eagle, but you have a large contribution to make in the War of the Ring.

FACTION
  • Miscellaneous Town

ABILITIES
  • Can (twice) protect. This is a special protection ability, in that this ability comes with the ability to view all mafia kill orders. In order to use this ability, you must send in your order during the Day phase, so that the length of the Night can be doubled. In the first half of the doubled Night Phase, all others must send in their orders. Then, you will be shown the mafia kill orders, and you can then choose to protect any character of your choice. Remember, you can do this twice.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Gandalf survives to the end of the game.

• At least one member of all innocent factions survives to the end of the game.

• Successfully protect two separate characters.

Methos (Treebeard)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

TREEBEARD

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Treebeard, are the Shepherd of the Trees; leader of the Ents. Although you thing the War of the Ring is not your war, the Shadow of the East has done severe damage to your friends. This wrongdoing must be avenged. You must enter into the War of the Ring.

FACTION
  • Ent

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect Merry or Pippin. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect the character of Merry or the character of Pippin. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be either Merry or Pippin. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can (three times) kill. This means that you may on three occasions attempt to kill another player at night. However, this may only be done the night immediately following the death of another Ent at the hands of Isengard. So, you may only use this ability immediately after a fellow Ent is killed by Isengard, and only a maximum of three times. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of all fellow ents. Leaflock; z4ckdabeast. Skinbark; Nictel. Beechbone; Lord OST.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Merry and Pippin survive to the end of the game.

• At least a total of three ents survive to the end of the game.

• Successfully kill a member of the Isengard faction.

Nictel (Skinbark)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

SKINBARK

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Skinbark, are an elderly ent of the Fangorn Forest. Although you will go to war with the rest of the ents, you are reluctant about the prospect, and would much rather you retire to the quieter parts of the forest. Whose foolish idea was it to instigate this trouble? Surely it will be the death of the ents.

FACTION
  • Ent

ABILITIES
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of all fellow ents. Treebeard; Methos. Leaflock; z4ckdabeast. Beechbone; Lord OST.
  • Can (once) investigate an ent to determine their true alignment. This means that you can on one occasion investigate an ent of your choice (either Treebeard (Methos), Leaflock (z4ckdabeast) or Beechbone (Lord OST)) to determine their true alignment (innocent, mafia, etc., not to be confused with 'faction'). This is an infallible ability. As this ability has only one use, choose carefully. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive Merry and Pippin.

• Exactly three ents survive to the end of the game.

• Vote for a mafia character that is subsequently lynched.

Renata (Arwen)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

ARWEN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Arwen Evenstar, are the elf daughter of Lord Elrond. You must make a choice as you strive to assist in the protection of the One Ring, with which the enemy would destroy Middle Earth, between your desire to live with Aragorn of Gondor, or remain an elf

FACTION
  • Elf. This is your initial faction. You must decide whether to switch to the Gondor faction, or stay with the Elf faction, by the half way point of the game (by the time there are only 22 characters left). Which faction you choose will determine your victory conditions.

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect Aragorn. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect the character of Aragorn. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be Aragorn. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can (once) resuscitate a murdered player. This means that you may on one occasion of your own choosing bring back to life a player of your choice. Not that this only applies to murdered, not lynched, players. A player can only be resuscitated the night immediately after they die (i.e. the order to resuscitate a player must be given the night following their murder). This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • Light of the Evenstar. This item allows the possessor to have a 50% chance of surviving one lynch. It may be given at any time to any player, via an order sent to me. Its special abilities do not extend to you (i.e. this item is useless in your possession).

VICTORY CONDITION

• If a member of the elf faction. Elrond survives to the end of the game.
  • If a member of the Gondor faction. Aragorn survives to the end of the game.

• If a member of the elf faction. Elf faction is the largest faction at the end of the game.
  • If a member of the Gondor faction. Gondor faction is the largest faction at the end of the game.

• If a member of the elf faction. Keep the Light of the Evenstar.
  • If a member of the Gondor faction. Give the Light of the Evenstar to Aragorn.

RRRaskolnikov (Faramir)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

FARAMIR

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Faramir, are the son of the Steward of Gondor, Denethor, and brother of Boromir. You owe your allegiance to Gondor first and foremost, but long to impress your father; to gain his love. In your attempts to serve Gondor and protect the future of Middle Earth, your overriding desire is to gain this love, and in order to do this, you must make a martyr of yourself.

FACTION
  • Gondor

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect the ring bearer. This means that you may on one occasion of your own choosing attempt to protect the bearer of the One Ring. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be the ring bearer. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. Additionally, you may choose to take the ring from the ring bearer on your use of this ability, provided that the ring bearer is actually attacked and your protection is actually successful. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can (once) kill. This means that you may on one occasion of your own choosing attempt to kill another player at night. Note that this will also result in your death. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Make a martyr of yourself by killing a mafia.

• Eowyn survives to the end of the game.

• Successfully choose the ring bearer to protect.

Seon (Éowyn)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

ÉOWYN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Éowyn, are the niece of Théoden, King of Rohan. You are the Shieldmaiden of Rohan, and as such hold an important role in leading the people of Rohan when the men have all gone to fight. But you have just as much to fight for as they do. Why should you be confined to a cage, unable to do your bit to prevent the capture of the One Ring by the enemy?

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect Théoden. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect the character of Théoden. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be Théoden. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can (once) kill. This means that you may on one occasion of your own choosing attempt to kill another player at night. Note, however, that unless you target the Witch-King of Angmar, you have only a 50% chance of success, and a 50% chance of death. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can fool investigators. This means that anyone investigating your faction will not be successful in their investigation.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Merry survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of Rohan faction survives to the end of the game.

• Kill the Witch-King of Angmar.

Snerk (Celeborn/Saruman)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
CELEBORN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Celeborn, are the Lord of Lothlórien, and husband of Galadriel. You are one of the wisest of elves, and look to help the inhabitants of Middle Earth overcome the great evil spreading through the lands.

FACTION
  • Elf

ABILITIES
  • Can (three times) perform a post-mortem. This means that on three occasions of your own choosing, you may determine the true alignment and faction of a deceased character of your own choosing. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Galadriel survives to the end of the game.

• The elf faction is the largest faction at the end of the game.

• Perform a post-mortem on a mafia.

MAFIA ROLE
SARUMAN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Saruman the White, are a wizard of great power, and the leader of Isengard. You wish for the One Ring, with which you can rule Middle Earth, and you will do whatever is necessary to possess it.

FACTION
  • Isengard

ABILITIES
  • You know the identity of all members of the Isengard faction. Wormtongue; Beefy187, whose cover character is Eothain. Uglúk; Autolycus, whose cover character is Theoden. Please note that you are the faction leader, and all kill orders (of which your faction has one per night) must be sent by both yourself and Uglúk to be confirmed (barring exceptional circumstances).

ITEMS
  • The Palantír of Orthanc. This gives you no special abilities. You may not give this item to anyone.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive all members of the Miscellaneous Town faction.

• Use Uglúk to kill Gandalf.

sprig (Elven Archer/Sauron)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
ELVEN ARCHER

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Elven Archer, are a member of Haldir's regiment of archers from Lothlórien, tasked with defending the people of Middle Earth against great evil. Your superb skills in archery and swordsmanship will prove invaluable in the fight against the Shadow of the East, as you fight to prevent the capture of the One Ring, with which the enemy would surely prevail.

FACTION
  • Elf

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect a member of the Rohan faction. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect a character of the faction of Rohan. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be a member of the Rohan faction. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Haleth survives to the end of the game.

• Successfully choose a member of the Rohan faction to protect.

MAFIA ROLE
SAURON

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Lord Sauron, are the dark Lord of Mordor, the greatest evil on Middle Earth. You desire one thing; power. And to get this, you need nothing but the One Ring, so that your spirit, shown in the Lidless Eye of Dol Guldur, can take physical form yet again. You and your servants will be unrelenting in your search for this one ultimate weapon, your weapon that man failed to destroy when they had the chance.

FACTION
  • Mordor

ABILITIES
  • You know the identity of all members of the Mordor faction. The Witch-King of Angmar; civplayah, whose cover role is Eomer. Nazgûl Horse Rider; tycoonist, whose cover role is Everard Proudfoot. Nazgûl Fell beast Rider; CivGeneral, whose cover role is Freda. Gothmog; Stuck in Pi, whose cover role is Pippin. Please note that you, Lord Sauron, are the Mordor faction leader, and all kill orders (in your case, two kills per night) must be sent in by both yourself, and Gothmog and the Witch-King of Angmar respectively, to be confirmed (barring exceptional circumstances).

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• All of the Gondor faction are dead at the end of the game.

• Use your servants to kill Aragorn.

Stuck in Pi (Pippin/Gothmog)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
PIPPIN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Peregrin Took, are a hobbit of the Shire, and volunteer to the Fellowship, assisting Frodo as he keeps safe the One Ring. Although you would rather be at the Green Dragon enjoying a pint, you and your best friend Merry must face the many dangers of Middle Earth as two of the key characters in this tale, perhaps helping to light the Beacon of Gondor along the way.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Hobbit

ABILITIES
  • Can (twice) steal an item. This means that you may on two occasions of your choosing attempt to steal the items possessed by a selected player. Failure to select a player with an item will result in the forfeiture of one of your uses of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Merry; thomas.berubeg.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Merry survives until the end of the game.

• Steal and use the Torch of the Beacon of Minas Tirith.

MAFIA ROLE
GOTHMOG

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gothmog, are the lieutenant of the Witch-King of Angmar, and servant of Lord Sauron. You desire nothing more than inflicting pain and suffering on the scum of Middle Earth; the innocents, and show no mercy.

FACTION
  • Mordor

ABILITIES
  • Can (once per turn) kill. This means that every night you must confer with your Mordor colleagues and decide on a victim, whose identity will be relayed to me by yourself and by your leader, Lord Sauron. Note that Mordor has two kills each night; one by yourself, and one by the Witch-King of Angmar and the two Nazgûl.
  • You know the identity of all members of the Mordor faction. Lord Sauron; sprig, whose cover role is Elven Archer. The Witch-King of angmar; civplayah, whose cover role is Eomer. Nazgûl Horse Rider; tycoonist, whose cover role is Everard Proudfoot. Nazgûl Fell beast Rider; CivGeneral, whose cover role is Freda. Please note that Lord Sauron is your faction leader, and your kill orders must be sent by both Lord Sauron and yourself to be confirmed (barring exceptional circumstances).

ITEMS
  • None

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive all of the Gondor faction.

• Kill the ring-bearer.

taillesskangaru (Legolas)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

LEGOLAS

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Legolas Greenleaf, are a member of the Fellowship, tasked with preventing the capture of the One Ring, the most powerful weapon on Middle Earth, by the enemy. Using your cunning wit and powerful abilities, you may play an integral role in the quest to keep the One Ring out of enemy hands.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Elf

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect Gimli. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect the character of Gimli. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be Gimli. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can (once) investigate a character and determine their ability/abilities. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing investigate another player to determine their ability or abilities. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Can (once) kill. This means that you may on one occasion of your own choosing attempt to kill another player at night. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Gimli survives to the end of the game.

• Kill a mafia at night.

Takhisis (Théodred)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

THEODRED

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Théodred, are the only son of the King of Rohan, Théoden, and heir to the throne of Rohan. Although you were injured in battle against the forces of Isengard who freely roam the land, you have recovered to be able to continue in the struggle to prevent the One Ring, the most powerful weapon, from coming into the hands of the enemy.

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine what faction they are a member of. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Éothain and Freda survive to the end of the game.

• Determine the faction of one hobbit and of one member of the miscellaneous town faction.

tapdancingowl (Gimli/Shelob)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
GIMLI

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gimli, son of Glóin, are a member of the Fellowship, tasked with preventing the capture of the One Ring, the most dangerous weapon on Middle Earth. Should this item fall into enemy hands, great peril would befall this world. As a key member of the Fellowship, you may play a key role in protecting the One Ring from capture.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Miscellaneous Town

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect a female character. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect any female character. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be female. Failure to select an applicable player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Legolas survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of Fellowship survives to the end of the game.

• Successfully protect a female character.

MAFIA ROLE
SHELOB

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Shelob, are the bloodthirsty and ever-hungry giant spider that lurks near the top of the Giant Staircase in the Mountains of Shadow. You live to eat, and to eat flesh. Any fine jewellery that you come across in the process is an added bonus.

FACTION
  • Shelob

ABILITIES
  • Can (once per turn) kill. This means that every night you may make one kill.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION
  • Shelob Victory. You possess the One Ring at the end of the game.

• Outlive all of the tasty Hobbit faction.

• Kill Frodo.

TheForestAuro (Gamling)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

GAMLING

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Gamling, are the trusted Lieutenant to King Théoden of Rohan. You are loyal to your King, and desire nothing more than the defeat of the evil forces that threaten the security of Rohan, and play an important role in organising defence of the realm and all the peoples of Middle Earth.

FACTION
  • Rohan

ABILITIES
  • Can (three times) protect a character. This means that you may on three occasions of your own choosing attempt to protect a character. However, each use of this ability only has a 50% chance of success. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

TheLastOne36 (Bilbo)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

BILBO

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Bilbo Baggins, are the uncle of the ring-bearer, Frodo Baggins. You found the One Ring many years ago, and passed it on to Frodo, who now must face the task of keeping it out of the hands of the enemy, for the sake of the whole of Middle Earth. You want to help Frodo along the way, though, and will do all in your power to ensure his mission is successful.

FACTION
  • Hobbit

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) steal an item. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to steal the items possessed by a selected player. Failure to select a player with an item will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • Mithril Coat. This item gives you no special abilities, but may be useful for other characters. This item may be given away to any character during any Night Phase, as a Night Phase Ability, via an order sent to me.
  • Sting. This item gives you no special abilities, but may be useful for other characters. This item may be given away to any character during any Night Phase, as a Night Phase Ability, via an order sent to me.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Give two items to Frodo.

thomas.berubeg (Merry)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

MERRY

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Meriadoc Brandybuck, are a hobbit of the Shire, and volunteer to the Fellowship, assisting Frodo as he keeps safe the One Ring. Although you would rather be at the Green Dragon enjoying a pint, you and your slightly more careless best friend Pippin must face the many dangers of Middle Earth as two of the key characters in this tale.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Hobbit

ABILITIES
  • Can (thrice) silence a player during the day. This means that you may on three occasions of your choosing silence a selected player for the day phase, allowing them to only post their vote, and nothing more. You must inform me of your desire to use one of your three silencing abilities during the night immediately prior to the silencing period.
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of Pippin; Stuck in Pi.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Pippin survives until the end of the game.

• Silence a mafia at least once.

trada (Aragorn)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

ARAGORN

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Aragorn, are the descendant of Isildur, and heir to the throne of Gondor. You hold the hopes of men in your quest to protect the One Ring from capture by the enemy. As the leader of Gondor, you play a key role in warding off the enemy and ensuring the victory of good over evil.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Gondor

ABILITIES
  • Protection ability. This means that you can, once per night, select a character to protect from the Nazgûl, the slaves of Mordor. This ability will only be successful for protecting against an attack by the Nazgûl. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive all members of Denethor's faction.

tycoonist (Everard Proudfoot/Nazgûl Horse Rider)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

'COVER' ROLE
EVERARD PROUDFOOT

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Everard Proudfoot, are an old hobbit of the Shire, and are sick at all the trouble makers wandering around. You are happy with status quo. But this means that the enemy must not prevail. You cannot let them win. They will ruin the Shire.

FACTION
  • Hobbit

ABILITIES
  • Investigative ability. This means that you can, once per night, investigate another player to determine if their faction. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive Gandalf.

• Determine the faction of at least two other members of the Hobbit faction.

MAFIA ROLE
NAZGUL HORSE RIDER

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, the Nazgûl Horse Rider, are a feared Ring-Wraith, servant of Lord Sauron under the command of the Witch-King of Angmar. Your sole purpose is to find the One Ring, with which Sauron will be able to rule Middle Earth. You will let nothing get in your way, as you ride the countryside on your monstrous black horse, killing all that stands in your way.

FACTION
  • Mordor

ABILITIES
  • Can (once per turn) kill. This means that every night you must confer with your Mordor colleagues and decide on a victim, whose identity will be relayed to me by the Witch-King of Angmar and by your leader, Lord Sauron. Note that Mordor has two kills each night; one by yourself in concert with the Witch-King of Angmar and the other Nazgûl, and one by Gothmog.
  • You know the identity of all members of the Mordor faction. Lord Sauron; sprig, whose cover role is Elven Archer. The Witch-King of Angmar; civplayah, whose cover role is Eomer. Gothmog; Stuck in Pi, whose cover role is Pippin. Nazgûl Fell beast Rider; CivGeneral, whose cover role is Freda. Please note that Lord Sauron is your faction leader, and your kill orders must be sent by both Lord Sauron and the Witch-King of Angmar to be confirmed (barring exceptional circumstances).

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• No members of the Miscellaneous Town faction remain at the end of the game.

• Kill the ring-bearer.

Winston Hughes (Frodo)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

FRODO

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Frodo Baggins, are the bearer of the One Ring, the most powerful weapon on Middle Earth. With it, the enemy could bring down terror on the innocent like none seen before. Although merely a small hobbit from the Shire, you must face this burden as the central character in this tale. Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

FACTION
  • Fellowship
  • Hobbit

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) have the determining lynch vote. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing, have the one deciding vote during the Day Phase. When you choose to use this ability, you must inform me of your decision to use the ability, and the victim of your vote at least 3 hours prior to the end of the scheduled Day Phase.
  • Can (once) appoint a character to the Fellowship. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing appoint one selected player to the Fellowship, giving them the Fellowship ability. This is a Night Phase Ability, and will take effect from the following morning.
  • Can (once) protect Sméagol. This means that you may on one occasion of your choosing attempt to protect the character of Sméagol. For this protection to be successful, the player you select to protect must be Sméagol. Failure to select the correct player will result in the forfeiture of this ability. This is a Night Phase Ability.

ITEMS
  • The One Ring. This item gives you no special abilities. You may not give it away.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Gandalf survives to the end of the game.

• Majority of Fellowship survives to the end of the game.

• Possess at least four items at the end of the game.

Zack (Leaflock)
Spoiler :
ROLE PM

LEAFLOCK

CHARACTER SUMMARY
  • You, Leaflock, are an ent of Fangorn Forest. Your leader, Treebeard, has decided that it is time for the ents to go to war against the forces of evil that maim your friends. You will do all in your power to prevent the One Ring, the ultimate weapon, from coming into the hands of the enemy. However, you harbour a dislike for Treebeard and his rash decisiveness. The ents would be better off without him.

FACTION
  • Ent

ABILITIES
  • Can (once) protect a character. This means that you may on one occasion of your own choosing attempt to protect a character of your own choosing. This is a Night Phase Ability.
  • Mason ability. You know the identity of all fellow ents. Treebeard; Methos. Skinbark; Nictel. Beechbone; Lord OST.

ITEMS
  • None.

VICTORY CONDITION

• Outlive all members of the Gondor faction.

• All ents except Treebeard survive to the end.

OK, then, yes, electric's role was crappy.

Top Bottom