ImmacuNES III: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

@KF: you can upgrade leaders but there are no rules for it. I can envision things like magic items for example.
@Seon: i'm thinking about it- i think i have some workable models but i need to play test them.

EDIT: Stats are out!

Achatin, I think we should try to join forces to fight off these aifons. If you have msn, add me on the_ekolite@hotmail.com and we can try and sort something out. (other players feel free to add me as well)

Also Immac, what do the various tech lines actually do? If you have time could you possibly make some sort of tech list which shows what you get at each tech level. Just the first 5 ranks or so would be extremely helpful.

most buildings and units require ranks in more then one tech. like many units that require high organization (formation spear, sword) require government and culture in addition to military. Growth and development is required for horsemanship. Trade is required for sailing. All this is in addition to the military tech. About half the buildings require more then one tech.

Thats why you have the building and unit lists. Sorry, i don't think it can be cleaned up any further.

If you want to see what getting a particular rank in a tech is, i would suggest you just overwrite your current rank in your spreadsheet and see how stuff changes. It should update automatically.

Also remember that the food and growth, crafts and metals, trade and exploration, and government and culture will all have passive effects upon your city's capacity to produce goods, allow more leaders, etc.

Lastly, remember that military, trade and exploration, religion and arcana knowledge ranks have passive effects upon the quality of your troops and in some cases, their spell-casting capacity.

Seon, others,

Forts
  • Forts

Starting Forts add 1 defense value to the hex (adding to the ‘quality’ of military units defending the hex). Like the other ruralities it costs 10 hammers to build. Its population will produce taxes and consume food but won’t produce resources.

Forts with a population greater then one may be invested in to increase the defense modifier their provide. A starting fort with a population of 2 or greater can be invested in (20 hammers) to increase it defense to 3. A fort with a population of 3 or greater and a defense value of 2 can be invested in (for 30 hammers) to increase its defense value to 3. And so on...

Spoiler :

A sermon on Lust

We humble beings gather here,
To bask in your Perfection.
To Pledge our one true Possession,
In your name and for your glory.
May you find us worthy of your Gifts.

Guide us along the path to Perfection, responded the mass of worshipers kneeling in front of the priest.

He looked out among the crowd with great disdain, so many meek and unworthy beings, so little faith. They would never be worthy of any Gifts let alone reach Perfection. He had devoted all of his life to the Flesh and has barely begun his journey. Perhaps starting these sheep along the path would prove him worthy of more Gifts. His body shivered at the thought of more Gifts. Either way it is his duty to spread His Perfection.

“I have heard rumors of some of you have been giving yourselves completely to your own lust”, he paused letting those guilty squirm under his gaze,” I find it my duty as your guide along the path to warn you against this. To lose one’s self to the pleasures and lust will cause you to revert to something more like a beast than a man. And only Man may reach Perfection, this is what makes us unique, no superior to the beast.”

“Yet as I warn you against over indulgence do not shy away from these urges. They are merely the callings of the Flesh telling you what you personally need to reach Perfection. They are no different than the pangs you feel when you have not eaten, and as you all know ignoring these pangs will cause your Flesh to wither and yet eat past what your body tells you and the Flesh will become useless. So too is it with these lust.”

“On this note do not discriminate against your fellow men if their lust differ from your own even if you find them vile. Merely remember he may find yours equally foul in his eyes. All men are unique so too are his callings and path to Perfection. Now go forth upon your paths and may the Emperor guide you.”

May he grant us strength.

(OOC: I think things are going to be very interesting when mine and Northen Wolf's nations meet)

interesting story merciary... i couldn't help but think that the whole,

“On this note do not discriminate against your fellow men if their lust differ from your own even if you find them vile. Merely remember he may find yours equally foul in his eyes. All men are unique so too are his callings and path to Perfection. Now go forth upon your paths and may the Emperor guide you.”

makes your nation the San Francisco of the time.

From Lack-witted Laymen to Silent Soldiers
Spoiler :
A gnome flanked by a pair of dwarven Guardians stood before the Fourth Slinger Brigade, reciting from a scroll, “Men of Achat, you have fought bravely for years, and decades for some. You have faced everything that the Diabhal Iasc could throw at you. Your actions have protected your families and friends, as well as spared the next generation the horrors that you have gone through. However, we cannot keep this indefinitely. In our hurry to send you to the front lines, we neglected some of the most basic training. This must be remedied. As you well know the situation has not changed, we still need every one of you out here holding back the hordes, and your leaders back home simply can’t send out replacements while you’re sent home for training. As a compromise, Lord Sharad has said that certain individuals be sent to a special training camp, where those few will learn of combat and strategy. They will return and teach the rest of you what they learned. Do not think this will be a picnic, you will be through worse than you can imagine, worse than your sergeant here can on his worst days.” A disgruntled looking dwarf saluted at this. The gnome continued “You will go though six months of hell. Those who wish to volunteer for this service please stay, all others are dismissed” and he nodded to the drill sergeaNT

A burly dwarf stood stock-straight and bellowed at the top of his lungs, “You heard the gnome! Get back to your tents you miserable excuses for throwbacks! Turn about and… MARCH!” The ranks of slingers left in almost straight lines, with a great deal grumbling as the sergeant continued haranguing at them. The gnome looked at the two dozen people left, some hopeful youths and the veterans who saw one too many companions die because of incompetence. The gnome rolled up his scroll and stood ramrod straight. “Gentlemen, you are going to come with me back to Achat for testing. If during those tests you are found lacking in what is needed you will be returned here. You have exactly thirty minutes to say your farewells and grab essentials. Dis-MISSED!” The gnome turned and marched to his mule, packing the scroll safely for the next brigade.

Sharad looked at the assembled soldiers, over three hundred had volunteered in total. This was obviously far too many. He marched down the line, who were giving their best attempts at standing to attention, and questioning random soldiers. He stopped before a sickly looking one, who couldn’t be more than twenty years of age, “Soldier, state your name.”

“I-I-I’m kn-known as Odr-r-ran s-sir” he stuttered

“Why did you join the army, Odr-r-ran sir?” Sharad said, staring very intently into Odran’s left eye

“H-horrors ki-killed my family” Odran began

“LIE! Answer truthfully!”

“I-I-I don’t kn-know what you me-mean s-” Odran tried to say

“Your left eyelid is twitching. Now tell me the truth”

“THAT IS THE TRUTH!” Odran shouted back, and then slapped his hands over his mouth in shock at what he just said

Sharad glared at him for a moment before bursting out laughing. He slapped Odran on the back “Good, you’ll make a fine soldier.” and he continued down the line.

An hour later Sharad pointed at various soldiers down line, maybe half of them, and the rest were led away to be sent back to their regiments. Sharad stood and addressed the rest, “The test will begin now. This test will be quite deadly for those who are found lacking, and there is no dishonor in backing out now. Leave now if you have any doubts whatsoever. You have twenty minutes to decide what you’re going to do. You are to be totally silent during this time, this is a personal decision and is not up to public discussion” and he sat down, talking to some of his advisors about the purposed plans for building a public discussion building while a different one pushed for a building for training soldiers. After twenty minutes passed Sharad stood up again, “Your time is up, your decision is made. Now all who wish to leave can do so.” Over half the soldiers stood and left, eyes avoiding those of their comrades. The few who remained, about fifty, looked at Sharad nervously. “And now for the test! You all pass, congratulations. Training begins tomorrow and now I’m leaving you in the capable hands of Mr. Rearden. Good day” There was a low murmuring in the crowd as Sharad left “what did he say?” “we passed” “did something seem wrong with his shadow to you?” “what about the test?” “that was the test” “hey, you got any food? I’m starving over here” “what?” “what do we do now?” “what do you think we’ll have to do?” “I see your acorn and raise it three smooth pebbles”

Training began the next day. The gnome had spoken truthfully, it was worse than even their Drill Sergeant could imagine. In six months Sharad had taught them how to lead their fellows, kill without mercy, and die for something more than them. They came boisterous and full of youth’s confidence in their vital importance to the world, they left silent and fully aware that they can and will be killed on the battle field. They left as soldiers.

you continue to write excellent stories KF. thank you for working so hard to bring life and depth to this world.

maps:
Spoiler :

inscription carved on the deepest of the stones of the Kaer of the Kraz-Ke-Meka. Legend has it that it was inscribed by the last of Gnomish lords, before, or during, his fall to insanity, consumed by his work. Remarkably, it shows a very complete knowledge of the various gods and angels, in a time where most of them were barely remembered as obscure legends.

Lugus gives them sight
So that he may know his path

Sirona gives them wisdom,
So that he may know himself and others

Bhall gives them passion,
So that he may know righteous wrath and perfect love

Nantosuelta gives them faith
So that he may know when his actions are right

Amatheon gives them self
So that he may know a desire to survive

Junil gives them justice
So that he may know a desire for justice above all else

Nemed is forgotten
but his blood runs through all​

Arawn gives them life and death
So that he may know a beginning and an end

Danalin gives them serenity
So that he may know a choice of action

Dagda gives them balance
So that he may know all before he decides

Kilmorph gives them drive
So that he may know the worth of hard work

Sucelleus gives them growth
So that he may know a desire to reproduce

Oghma forgot all
But memory of her still stirs the embers of learning​

The Fallen are noticed,
Acknowledged and Denied
For they are corrupt

All save The Lord of Hope
Who will give him a self

The inscription was found over a table on which smashed golem sits. Residual enchantments are still strong in that room, even to this day, and any magic cast in it’s vicinity are likely to go awry. The golem itself has proven to be impossible to study, of a design so complex as to have no meaning to any modern Kraz-Ke-Meka, and perhaps even to the Luchuirp of the past, as it’s creation is likely what drove the last of the Gnome lords past the brink of Sanity

Past and Present
Spoiler :
A consciousness crept through Achat in the dying heat of the late afternoon, moving from shadow to shadow. It stopped and watched three children were playing, swinging a rope while singing a song.

“O woe is me! O woe is me! I used to have a hamster tree! But it was eaten by a newt, and now I have no cuddly fruit! O woe is-”

There was a crash as the child missed a jump and hit the ground, rope tying her legs together. The other children giggled “You messed up first!” “Bah, it’s a stupid game.” “Yer just sayin’ that cause you’re a sore loser!” “what’s a hamster anyways?” “It’s a kind of horror and it will eat you if you aren’t careful!” explained one child. "Liar" "Meni told me so!" “what do you mean I’m a sore loser? You messed up the rithem!” “That’s not how its pronounced moron” and the argument went on. The entity smiled to itself and moved on to an inn further down the street.

A couple workers were in a heated debate while basking in the glow of fresh beer. “All I’m saying is that its about supply and demand! If I ain’t got any money I ain’t gonna buy mutton”

“You’re being stupid, Keynes, if I raise a dozen sheep then someone’ll buy it, having the sheep’ll make people want to buy them”

“But if no one has money then who’ll buy the sheep, huh Saye?”

The entity grinned at this too, comparing them to the children. It continued on its way around the city before returning

He stood on the steps of the Great Temple as horrors scaled over the walls. Thousands, nay, tens of thousands of them climbed up ladders, ropes, even the corpses of their comrades in their blind rush. The defenders, though they fought valiantly, were driven back. He ran into the temple when he saw the last one on the wall collapse into nothingness. A young woman, it was Alari, still alive, grabbed his arm and said something in hurried tones, she thrust an amulet into his hands. He placed a hand to his ear and tried to say that he couldn’t hear her, dropping the amulet into a pocket. She repeated herself but the sounds of the battle filled his ears. He glanced behind him and saw a dozen horrors charge the priests, ripping their insubstantial forms apart. Alari tugged at his arm and ran down a hallway, one among many fleeing forms. He tried to keep up but was separated in a crowd. The crowd suddenly changed directions, moving with him, horrors had circled around. He ducked into an empty hallway and ran faster than he ever had in his life, sprinting down corridors and abandoned prayer rooms. He had to find it, it was here somewhere. After what felt like years of running he found it, a room with the last portal just as the horrors caught up again. He dove through, all thoughts of his friends and family eradicated in his need to escape. As the portal’s magic moved him he saw through the walls at the city burning, all was truly lost. Then there was darkness

Sharad woke up in a cold sweat, the dreams were returning. He shook his head, trying to clear his mind. A cup of cold water removed the remaining sleep. He stared into the mirror the hung above his bed, seeming to contemplate an old amulet set with a piece of ebony. The dreams… the horrors must think him a spineless coward, that bringing back the memories would cause him to buckle. The dreams only strengthened his resolve, the ones who caused this will pay.

I have this sneaking suspiscion that sooner or later Immac will begin sending me these

Spoiler :

Orders due tonight.

Also: If you want to contribute towards naming places on the map, please feel free to make suggestions.

hopeful names for my area:
Àit de Scáths
for my home peninsula

Oileán de Oighear Dubh
literally: island of black ice. Gives the island a distinctive feature. For the island just NW of my position.

I don't know about the other players but I'd really appreciate one of those annoymous graphs you did for FFHNES 2 to show relative gold/food/hammers income. It would be nice to know where I stand.

I wouldn't mind one of those graphs either

I was stumbling around via Stumble and came across this awesome artist and I thought some of his art fit this NES:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

He's got a ton more awesome work that's mostly futuristic.

Every now and again a game needs a few tweaks to maintain balance. I try to play-test my games, but they still need help sometimes.

Gnomish racial growth rate will be modified from 1.8 to 1.6
Elvish racial growth rate will be modified from 3.2 to 2.7
Dwarven racial growth rate will be modified from 2.1 to 1.9
Troll racial growth rate will be modified from 2.8 to 2.4
Human and orc racial growth rates will not be modified.

These changes are not retroactive. There will be no changes to your stats to 'compensate' for changes, etc.

Woo! more people! dances a jig
can we count that in for this turn or does it take affect after this update?

Top Bottom