SGOTM 11 - Barley Demons

I like 1S of the wheat as our next city. I would also allow us to put the fish/horse city on the coastal incense, saving us the chore/many worker worker turns of improving a tile we'll never want to work.

Also forgot we're SPI which also works well with Pyramids for free government civics switch, so put me firmly in the if-we-go-for-a-wonder-make-it-Pyramids-camp ;)

Okay. Let's have this as our plan:

Research: Med->Priesthood->Masonry->Writing

Builds: Get workers and warriors out of our cities. And two settlers.

Cities: Next city goes 1S of the wheat and will attempt the Oracle. This can be timed so it is founded as Priesthood is discovered. Its purpose is to build Oracle, then granary, then boats. It passively provides wheat and will probably be a hybrid city with cottages on the plains. We can mine its hills so they can be used to jumpstart the incense city west of it.

Fourth city goes on the stone and can be timed so it is pre-connected by roads and is founded as we discover Masonry. It's purpose is to provide Stone to Bombay for the Pyramids. It will serve the empire as a cottage city.

One of the things I've been thinking about after trying to dotmap this continent is that maybe we need to simply pick the very best sites here and then concentrate on expanding off the island (at least north and west where Zara isn't) as quickly as we can. The more food we can secure for ourselves, the easier diplo will be.

Let me throw my support in as well for a plan that looks like the one Compromise is proposing.

Just a question of who is up?

Re: Who's up... Except for occasional comments, timmy's out through Sunday. How about if we have SilentConfusion swap with him and run the next turnset?

Per the plan, I think the natural breakpoint is at the discovery of Priesthood and--at the same time--the founding of the 1S-of-wheat city. An earlier city founding will just slow down the research methinks.

I sure hope we can get another worker or two out too.

I guess we haven't discussed it: Meditation vs Polytheism. Poly is on the road to Literature, but Meditation is quicker. (By the time we have temples to build, we'll be able to get Meditation easily and cheaply, so I don't see temples as a factor.)

I lean toward Meditation for speed since I think we're cutting it close with the Oracle.

I'd be ok to take the turnset.

So goals are:
-Synchronize settling of next city (1S of Wheat) and PH.
-Get to that point (PH/city) as soon as possible within reason.
-Build a settler, a worker or two, a warrior or two.
-Finish the granary in Bombay.
-build road to new city site and be ready to chop
-build tile improvements as needed so we don't work unimp'd tiles.
-spawn bust as much as possible the West so we don't have barbs.

If I missed anything or am not thinking correctly let me know.

I'll try to draw up more detailed plans soon.

I've been playing with some micro calculations and I think we'll get PH on 79 or maybe 78. I'll keep playing with it. It takes 3 turns to move the settler so 3 turns before the tech comes in.

Sounds good, SC. I presume that "PH" means "Priesthood", not "Plains Hill." :)

Also, there is a little more coast to reveal toward the southwest of the continent.

Also, except for barb defense, we might rather be pre-chopping forest for the Oracle than roading to the city site. However, we probably want to be working 3H forested plains hill while building. Certainly before the wheat is improved. (I'm not sure how to best micro this....)

Sounds good, SC. I presume that "PH" means "Priesthood", not "Plains Hill." :)

Also, there is a little more coast to reveal toward the southwest of the continent.

Also, except for barb defense, we might rather be pre-chopping forest for the Oracle than roading to the city site. However, we probably want to be working 3H forested plains hill while building. Certainly before the wheat is improved. (I'm not sure how to best micro this....)

Yeah, PH for me is Priesthood. Ph is plains hill, but that is potentially confusing.

It's possible that pre-mining might come in to play so we can work the 3h tile until it becomes 4h. For that city we'll want the wheat improved as soon as possible so we can grow onto those plains hills and if they are already pre-chopped or pre-mined all the better. And we definitely work a Phf (plains hill forest) until the wheat is improved.

Just so there is no confusion, I wanted to confirm that SilentConfusion is running the next turnset. After that swap, we'll have timmy run the next one.

Just so there is no confusion, I wanted to confirm that SilentConfusion is running the next turnset. After that swap, we'll have timmy run the next one.

That's how I understood it. I can probably sit down and do it tonight if we are ready.

Back in action. I'd say that while we have not gotten every member's assent, we haven't gotten any strong objections so we should go ahead. And confirm that although I am back, SilentConfusion should go ahead with this set and I'll take the next.

Alright guys. Sorry I didn't get to it earlier, but I'm playing the turn right now. I play them quite slowly so it may take me a little while to finish it and have it posted, but it will be done in not too long.

I'm taking the turn up to teching Priesthood and founding the first city, which should be on the same turn.

I took a pause in the middle of my turnset to do some calculations. Turns out it took me more hours than I thought to find the worker turn combination I wanted. As a result, it won't be until tomorrow that I have the turn finished, and posted. Sorry to promise it sooner. You can be sure, though, that it's the best I could do with this turnset.

Sounds like the workings of a micro-demon! I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I am away Friday through Saturday. Probability of internet access is low. Should be back online Monday. If it's obvious what to do, timmy can run the next turnset. Knowing us, however, I suspect we'll take some time to discuss it. :)

Ok. Turnset done.

Here are the basic stats for the turnset. Will post and upload save, and then edit to add all the details. Just want people to be able to look at it in the meantime.

EDIT: Ok. It should be fully updated. If I forgot something or you have questions let me know.

Here's the Turnlog, but I don't like the format so I put the basic stats below.
Spoiler :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 2400 BC to 2025 BC:

Turn 66, 2350 BC: Zara Yaqob adopts Slavery!
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Barbarian's Warrior (2.00) vs Gandhi's Warrior 5 (Delhi) (3.00)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Combat Odds: 9.9%
Turn 66, 2350 BC: (Plot Defense: +50%)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 5 (Delhi) is hit for 16 (84/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 5 (Delhi) is hit for 16 (68/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (76/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 5 (Delhi) is hit for 16 (52/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 5 (Delhi) is hit for 16 (36/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (52/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (28/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (4/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (0/100HP)
Turn 66, 2350 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 5 (Delhi) has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!

Turn 71, 2225 BC: Barbarian's Warrior (2.00) vs Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) (3.00)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Combat Odds: 9.9%
Turn 71, 2225 BC: (Plot Defense: +50%)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) is hit for 16 (84/100HP)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) is hit for 16 (68/100HP)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) is hit for 16 (52/100HP)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (76/100HP)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (52/100HP)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (28/100HP)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (4/100HP)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 24 (0/100HP)
Turn 71, 2225 BC: Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!

Turn 72, 2200 BC: You have discovered Meditation!

Turn 74, 2150 BC: You have trained a Warrior in Delhi. Work has now begun on a Settler.
Turn 74, 2150 BC: You have trained a Warrior in Bombay. Work has now begun on a Fast Worker.

Turn 75, 2125 BC: The borders of Delhi have expanded!
Turn 75, 2125 BC: The borders of Bombay have expanded!

Turn 76, 2100 BC: You have trained a Settler in Delhi. Work has now begun on a Warrior.

Turn 77, 2075 BC: Delhi can hurry Warrior for 1? with 22? overflow, 16? added to the treasury, and +1? for 23 turns.

Turn 78, 2050 BC: The enemy has been spotted near Bombay!
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Bombay can hurry Fast Worker for 1? with 13? overflow and +1? for 27 turns.
Turn 78, 2050 BC: You have discovered Priesthood!
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Barbarian's Warrior (2.00) vs Gandhi's Warrior 8 (Bombay) (2.00)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Combat Odds: 50.0%
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 8 (Bombay) is hit for 20 (80/100HP)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 20 (80/100HP)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 20 (60/100HP)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 8 (Bombay) is hit for 20 (60/100HP)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 20 (40/100HP)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 8 (Bombay) is hit for 20 (40/100HP)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 8 (Bombay) is hit for 20 (20/100HP)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 8 (Bombay) is hit for 20 (0/100HP)
Turn 78, 2050 BC: Barbarian's Warrior has defeated Gandhi's Warrior 8 (Bombay)!
Turn 78, 2050 BC: While defending, your Warrior 8 (Bombay) was destroyed by a Barbarian Warrior!

Turn 79, 2025 BC: The enemy has been spotted near Bombay!
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) (1.84) vs Barbarian's Warrior (0.80)
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Combat Odds: 99.6%
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) is hit for 17 (75/100HP)
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) is hit for 17 (58/100HP)
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 23 (17/100HP)
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 23 (0/100HP)
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Gandhi's Alfred (Warrior) has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Your Alfred has destroyed a Warrior!
Turn 79, 2025 BC: Vijayanagara has been founded.
Played: turns 64 (inherited turn) through turn 79 (3rd city build and Priesthood discovered).

Named: Humphrey (Warrior), Alfred (Warrior), Godfrey (Warrior), Edmund (Warrior), Charles (Worker)

Teched: Mediation (T73) and Priesthood (T79)

Built: Warrior (Delhi, T65), Granary (Bombay, T66), Fast Worker (Delhi, T67), Warrior (Delhi, T75), Warrior (Bombay, T75), Settler (Delhi, T77)

Culturally Expanded: Delhi (2nd, T75), Bombay (1st, T75)

Battled: Barb Warrior attacks Humphrey (9.9%, loses), Barb Warrior attacks Alfred (9.9%, loses), Barb Warrior attacks Warrior 8 (Bombay) (50.0%, wins), Alfred attacks Barb Warrior (99.6%, wins)

Improved: 3 Chops (into Settler, T67, T67, T69), Mine (2N1E of Delhi, shareable, T72), Cottage (2N of Delhi, shareable, T72), 3 Roads (to Vijayanagara, T73, T75, T77), Pasture (Cow, T78)

Partially Improved: Cottage (1W of Delhi, previously improved, 1/6), Road (1N2E of Bombay, Cow, 1/3), Chop (1S1W of Vijayanagara, 3/5)

Photos:
Spoiler :
Here's our cities at the end of the turnset:
Spoiler :

Delhi:
Pop: 3
Food: 33/39 (+4 fpt)
Culture: 156/750 (2 cpt)
Production: Warrior, 18/22 (5 hpt)

Bombay:
Pop: 3
Food: 18/39 (+0 fpt)
Culture: 18/150 (1 cpt)
Production: Fast Worker, 63/90 (8 hpt + 6 fpt)

Vijayanagara:
Pop: 1
Food: 0/33 (+0 fpt)
Culture: 0/15 (0 cpt)
Production: The Oracle, 0/255 (4 hpt)

Here's what our continent looks like currently. The red dots painted on show where our spawnbusting warriors are. I moved the spawnbusters each turn based on where Zara's scout was to cover the maximum ground.
Spoiler :

The founding of Vijayanagara (that's quite a name). The more southern Plains hill forest has three chops in it already out of five and there's 1 out of 8 turns for the farm completed.:
Spoiler :

Fun with Barbs. We killed 3 Barb Warriors, while losing 1 of our own Warriors:
Spoiler :
This is Humphrey about to face off against the first Barb Warrior, defending the forest.

Here Alfred is fighting off a second Barb Warrior. Humphrey is in Bombay healing.

The conclusion of Alfred's battle:

After Humphrey heals, he goes back out on duty and spots this Barb Warrior. This Barb was not seen again for the rest of the turn, so is undoubtedly still lurking up there.

Then a Barb Warrior is spotted on our Eastern border. A scrambling of Warriors to get into position ensues. He subsequently goes 1NE, so I moved my warriors up that way to protect my Fast Workers.

And sure enough, the Barb Warrior is threatening our Fast Workers. I move another Warrior on the pile (making two), so it is not possible to lose our Workers on an unlucky roll.

Our newly built Warrior 8 (Bombay) dies at 50% odds. He didn't even live long enough to get named.

Alfred kills the wounded Barb Warrior the next turn at 99.6% odds.

My Annotated Turn Log:
Spoiler :
T64: Switched to 0% research for binary research and switched tech to Meditation. Worker moves to Grass hill forest NE of Delhi. Worker chops Gf 2N of Delhi (2/5).

T65: Switched to 100% research. Warrior built in Delhi, and a Fast Worker is started. Bombay grows to size 2. Delhi grows to size 4. Granary is 1-pop whipped in Bombay. Worker chops Ghf NE of Delhi (1/5). Worker chops Gf 2N of Delhi (3/5).

T66: Granary built in Bombay, Fast Worker is started to take the overflow. Fast Worker is 2-pop whipped in Delhi. Worker chops Ghf 1NE of Delhi (2/5). Worker chops Gf 2N of Delhi (4/5).

T67: Fast Worker built in Delhi, Settler is started to take overflow. Bombay switches production to a Warrior to grow. Humphrey defends in a forest NW of Bombay versus a Barb Warrior, who attacks with 9.9% odds, and survives. He is wounded however and heads back to Bombay. Worker chops Ghf 1NE of Delhi (3/5). Worker finishes chopping 2N of Delhi (30 hammers to Delhi). New Worker finishes chopping 1N of Delhi (30 hammers to Delhi). All of the whip overflow plus the two chops will go into the Settler.

T68: Shift spawnbusting Warriors around based on the location of Zara's scout. Worker chops Ghf 1NE of Delhi (4/5). 2 Workers start to mine Gh 2N1E of Delhi (2/6).

T69: Shift spawnbusting Warriors around based on the location of Zara's scout. Worker finishes chopping 1NE of Delhi (30 hammers to Delhi). Worker continues to mine Gh 2N1E of Delhi (3/6). Worker starts to cottage 2N of Delhi (1/6).

T70: Shift spawnbusting Warriors around based on the location of Zara's scout. Delhi switches from Settler to Warrior to grow and because Settler is not needed yet. Worker continues to mine 2N1E of Delhi (4/6). 2 Workers continue cottaging 2N of Delhi (3/6).

T71: Shift spawnbusting Warriors around based on the location of Zara's scout. Worker continues to mine 2N1E of Delhi (5/6). 2 Workers continue to cottage 2N of Delhi (5/6).

T72: Shift spawnbusting Warriors around based on the location of Zara's scout. Alfred defends the same patch of forest that Humphrey did earlier against a similar looking Barb Warrior attacking at 9.9% and Alfred similarly defeated the attacker. Switched research to 0% because would lose more than we had that turn. Bombay grows to size 2. Worker finishes mine 1NE of Delhi. Worker finishes cottage 2N of Delhi. Worker starts road 1NE of Bombay (1/3).

T73: Shift spawnbusting Warriors around based on the location of Zara's scout. Meditation discovered despite being at 0% (only needed 1 beaker) and Priesthood selected as next tech. Research set back at 100%. 2 Workers finish road 1NE of Bombay. Worker moves 2NE of Bombay.

T74: Shift spawnbusting Warriors around based on the location of Zara's scout. 2 Workers start road 2NE of Bombay (2/3). Worker moves to Phf 3N2E of Bombay.

T75: Shift spawnbusting Warriors around based on the location of Zara's scout. Warrior built in Bombay and the Fast Worker is resumed. Warrior is built in Delhi and another Warrior is started, because Settler doesn't need to be finished yet. Delhi grows to size 3. Bombay grows to size 3. Worker finishes road 2NE of Bombay. Worker starts to road the Phf 3N2E of Bombay. Worker starts road on Cow 1N2E of Bombay.

T76: Zara's scout has left the area so can't keep dancing around him to increase spawnbusted area. Delhi switches to resume building the Settler, which will be completed the next turn. Research is turned to 0% to gather gold for the stretch run to Priesthood. Bombay border pops. Delhi border pops. 2 Workers start pasturing the Cow 1N2E of Bombay (2/6). Worker continues to road Phf 3N2E of Bombay (2/3). Barb Warrior appears on our Eastern border. Garrison troops shift positions to handle the threat.

T77: Research turned back to 100%. Settler built in Delhi, resumes building the Warrior. Settler moves to 1SW of Bombay. 2 Warriors moved to Cow 1N2E of Bombay to defend workers from Barb Warrior. 2 Workers continue to pasture Cow 1N2E of Bombay. Worker finishes roading Phf 3N2E of Bombay.

T78: Warrior 8 (Bombay) dies to Barb Warrior at 50% odds before getting to be named. Alfred kills the offending Barb Warrior at 99.6% odds. 2 Workers finish pasturing Cow 1N2E of Bombay. Settler moves to Phf 3N2E of Bombay. Worker chops Phf 3N2E of Bombay (1/5).

T79: Settler founded Vijayanagara and Vijayanagara starts building the Oracle working a Phf. Worker starts farming Wheat 1N of Vijayanagara (1/8). 2 Workers chop Phf 1SW of Vijayanagara (3/5).

Assessment of Current Situation:
Spoiler :
Delhi builds a Warrior to replace Warrior 8 (Bombay) in 1 turn and grows back to size 5 in 2 turns. I think we'll start on a Settler with the option of 2-pop whipping it to completion. The whip unhappiness should be about gone by then. Bombay is 2 turns from building a Fast Worker. After that it may want to build a barracks until we get Masonry and can start building the Pyramids. Bombay and Delhi can share the irrigated corn, as well as a grass cottage and a grass mine, so make sure to switch back and forth depending on who needs what. Vijayanagara is building the Oracle working a Phf. The Wheat should be farmed in 2 turns at which time Vijay can work that and grow while the Workers chop and mine the Phf 1SW of Vijay. Make sure you chop first and then mine.

The Workers can also prepare a road for Settler #4 to the stone site. So that the Stone can get to Bombay right when it is settled. Protect the roading Workers with the spawnbusters and remember that the Workers will spawnbust, so we can move the Warriors farther afield to spawnbust more. Watch out for that Barb Warrior up near the Clams.

Run 0% research then 100% until gold is too low, then repeat. Try and see if we can get Settler close to the time Masonry's done and settled on stone ASAP to hookup stone for Bombay's Pyramid run.

Delhi's going to have to get another Settler out to settle our GPF city. After that city is improved it can spit out the rest of our Settlers if we want. Compromise has suggested the possibility that we don't fill our island, but just the main cities and then try to settle off island. I would say we should settle GPF, Clam City, and maybe a Rice FP City at least.

Keep Your Neighbors Close:
Spoiler :
Zara researched BW on T66 and converted to Slavery. He teched Mysticism on T76 and has 11 turns left on Sailing. His EP went up by 2 as it has been doing until T68 at which point it started going up by 4 each turn. I don't know if this is because we had a certain amount on him, and he is trying to keep up or what. I think he just recently finished a Settler on T77 but hasn't founded a second city yet.
His hammers:
Code:
Turn	IC	SP	EP	Hamm
64	727	176	222	26
65	732	244	224	36
66	736	0	226	0     Build compete. Switch to slavery = anarchy
67	736	0	226	0
68	745	122	230	18    ZY 2-pop whips his capitol.
69	754	0	234	0     Build complete.
70	763	372	238	55   This is some of the overflow of the whip
71	772	461	242	68
72	781	549	246	81
73	791	637	250	94
74	800	725	254	107
75	809	813	258	120
76	818	901	262	133
77	827	0	266	0     Build complete.
78	836	0	270	0     Build complete.

Save File

Nice, detailed report! Not too much bad luck vs the barbs. :)

I glanced at the save and noticed that Aksum is size 3. I guess he whipped something?

We don't need the fogbuster in the northeast any more...We and Zara have busted the desert, though maybe not the river.

Barb questions: Do we want to fully fogbust the continent, or do we want barbs to spawn? Perhaps even a city? If I understand the spawning rules, units won't spawn within 2 squares of an existing unit, but cities can still sprout up in any tile that's unseen by anyone. (Right?)

I'm off on a trip in the morning. Back Monday. Timmy is up. Sounds like we could use some micro-management to suggest Masonry/City4 timings, but perhaps it's not as critical.

Hope we get the Oracle....

Thanks, SC.

Prelim thoughts:

Micro: Delhi gets the corn this turn to speed growth.

Bigger thoughts: Do we want stone city (still on the stone right?) as city 4?
The megafood city is going to whip out a lot of settlers but it will take some time to get running - needs culture, and probably needs to build its own boats, and no forests in the first ring. So maybe that should be #4 and stone #5, what are people's opinions on how much a risk of not getting Pyramids that entails?

Top Bottom