ExtremeMod

Looks very interesting...but I cannot download from Atomic Gamer at all, The download always stops randomly. And I don't want to wait 5 minutes each time the download stops...over and over and over again.

Can you maybe provide a alternate host? If the file size isn't too large, anything from Rapidshare to Megaupload to Mediafire would be fine.

I noticed the alternate link. I will download this and give it a whirl.
I bet it will be fun.

Of course, my idea of fun is sometimes much different then other people's. :)
I'll be sure to come back here and tell you things about it.
I like the new trait ideas. It reminds me of the Better Tomorrow mod and a few other mods that redesign the traits system.

Also, constant threats from invasions? Well, now I know to build the Great Wall right away. :)
Better make sure the AI doesn't get overwhelmed by them. The AI has a tendency to be rather uh, stupid.

Very true. The Great Wall is a blessing. Actually, in our test group we forbid people to build it; it was our little house rule. That would change the dynamics of the game quite a bit.

And the AI is often a bit dense but they can also be quite crafty, and I have seen them use units in very interesting ways.

Heh. I haven't seen any barbarian hordes yet to be honest. Of course, it's 100 AD. :)

Maybe the mod got messed up, or something, So, maybe something did get wonky.

Also, Great Wall is useful alright.

I'm playing on Settler, but that usually doesn't make Barbarians not spawn. :)

Also, I seem to be getting a lot of Great Doctors, no, really, like, a 12% chance gives me a Doctor 9 times out of 11.
That's supposed to be 1 out of every 8, Game.

Also, technology seems to run through on a fast pace, at least on Normal speed.
I'm about to research Rifling. At 100 AD or so. :)
I think I'll have tanks before 1200 AD. Breaking my all time record of tanks by 1400.

Let's see, oh, Bureaucracy is utterly blank. There's no text in it to describe it at all.

And Organized religion has a 13149159 or so happiness per city in it's description. :)
Don't worry it doesn't do that.

Although, the "We desire religion freedom" is kind of annoying.
I have the Force now though. So that's not a problem.

Religions have all been researched, I believe.
All by me with the exception of one. :)

Oh, and why does Agricultural drop the amount of great people by 7%? That seems a bit weird.

Oh, a big deal here is the lock or canal. Once you research it, the Automated workers immediately replace their building of forts with it. So, you end up going bankrupt very fast.
You might want to either drop the cost down to zero, or magically prevent automated workers from building it.

Also, why are the Barbarians replaced by the Vikings? Uh, did I miss something. The Vikings were civilized. :) Barbarians aren't.
Plus, it's a bit weird to see Viking territory on the map and have them considered Barbarians.
Er, one other thing, You can take multiple arrowheads promotions...which seems a little weird.

Uh, why does Steam Power cause one unhappiness? It's one of the biggest technological innovations of all time. Not a big deal or anything, just seems weird.

Coal itself causing unhealthiness, well, I agree with that. :) Even Uranium to a degree, because of waste...

But Steam Power itself causing unhappiness?

Oh, by the way, the Great Mosque that's supposed to increase desert trade? It doesn't. Matchu petchu still works though.
Wait, no, neither of them actually boost anything beyond their own tiles. The Desert trade thing doesn't increase any desert tile with + 2 commerce.
And the MAchu doesn't increase any peaks at all other than it's own.

Also, apparently, Spies don't gain experience for counterespionage.
Uh, Titanium Steel is the name of a tech...Uh, maybe you meant Titanium and Steel? :)
Titanium Plate mail would be vastly superior and lighter than Steel Plate mail by the way.
Also, Tungsten Steel? That's not really efficient to combine the two. Tungsten is heavier than lead. :)
Also, getting a lot longer delays in turns after Turn 175 which is kind of annoying. It's up to between 18 to 30 seconds, sometimes a little longer.

Alright! Tanks in 590 AD! A new record! :)

ExtremeMod was tested almost exclusively on Noble, and on Epic speed with Aggressive AI and Raging Barbarians.

You would be the first to play on Settler as far as I know. Anything at the level would have been simply be the stock settings of the previous Mod (Thomas' War) or even the vanilla settings. I really see no point at playing a game at such a simple level that it offers no challenge, and I cannot give any strategic hints.

You have made allot of comments but I will touch on a few:

My Advice -- don't use automated workers. I will look at why they do that, but you are losing so much of the game by automating things -- there is no race, so take your time and use workers sparingly and effectively.

Try playing on Noble (and Raging Barbarians) and without the Great Wall to protect yourself (you will see barbarians and plenty of them). That is how the mod was designed to be played!!!

Don't play the game on Normal speed. Play it on Epic.

I am unsure where you are seeing the -7% unless you are looking at one of the traits for a specific culture?

Steam Power created a cultural environment dependent on carbon (coal, wood, even fossil fuels to a less extent) fuel sources to such a degree that life during those times was quite unhealthy. The Era of Steam was the most unhealthiest times to live -- look at 19th century England for examples of the miserable living conditions.

Wonders were picked up from the previous Mod, but I will take a look at them.

Overall, you need to really step your game up a bit. Its fun, in a childish way, I guess playing on Settler, but not even my youngest testers would seriously consider a game at that level.:confused::confused::confused:

:( Saying that it's fun in a childish way to play on Settler is probably not the nicest thing to say...

That said, playing on Settler is something I've done since Civilization 2.
It's hard to change my ways right away.
Also, a mod should be balanced on all difficulties. At least, that's usually what I've heard of during testing.
And why would anyone want to play with Raging Barbs? Especially on the higher difficulties.

I know this mod is called Extrememod, but still.

Maybe Zergrushmod would have been more apt? :) I kid, I kid.

I can try to play on a higher difficulty. But then you'd hear me wonder why everyone is beating me like a redheaded stepchild. :)

I can assure you, the game is not laughably easy on Settler. There's all types of people who have different styles. But unless Settler changes every single thing in the game in your favor, which according to the laws of Probability is not likely, I don't think it's that easy.
The only time I played Civ 2 without cheating on Settler and came close to winning was about 10 years ago. And that computer got burnt in a fire, because some wiseguy decided to burn down my school's computer lab.
Stupid Carthaginians and their SDI. Stupid Cold War...

And good point about the Automated, but I've always had them automated. I mean, why not? Having to give them orders all the time would get tedious.

I am unsure where you are seeing the -7% unless you are looking at one of the traits for a specific culture?
Uh, I'm playing the Vietnamese, and my Agricultural drops my GP by 7%.
Maybe I'm just unlucky.

And playing a game on Epic? Ugh...That's like telling a person to sit down and read War and Peace...sure it can be fun, but oye, it's going to take a long time.

Also, don't forget the big deal with Bureaucracy being totally blank on the civics menu.
That's a big bug.

Also, why are the Vikings the Barbarians in this game? It's a little weird seeing a lion under control of the vikings. :)

To each his own on choosing the difficulty -- I just find it hard to understand why people say that a game is too easy when you play on the easiest level? What do you expect, I guess?

Mods aren't designed to be played on all levels of difficulties, actually they are designed to be played at specific levels of difficult. I designed my Mod for my friends and myself, with the hopes that others like what we did. I never designed my mod to be played with all the hundreds of variations that are possible, but rather a very specific set. If you were confused by that, then I have hopefully elaborated that on the front page of the mod.

The barbarian option was an early choice, by changing them to something more distinctive than just a non-descriptive culture. We originally had them the Romans, but in the end we chose Ragnar; just fun to mix things up.

Raging barbarians are extremely fun and challenging. Try it sometime, it makes the game so much more interesting (with the provision that you don't just build the Great Wall). You actually gave me a good idea to turn off the Great Wall (or scale back its usefulness) in the next release of the mod.

If I seemed a bit forward, I apologize. I always like differing opinions and you will help make the next version even better. I would rather have negative opinions of my mod, then no opinions at all.

I hope you continue to play the game, and truly hope you play on a more aggressive level to find new fun in the Mod.

Time. Also about your comment about the tanks. Don't be too cheerful about your record because my mod starts at 5000 BC (1000 years before the standard) and my turns are each 15 years rather than 50 for the first couple of eras.

Ah. Fair enough. I'll continue to play the mod. I'll try to play on Epic speed, at a greater difficulty, but I can't guarantee it will be fun.

The thing is, uh, maybe I don't know that much about Civ 4 mod making, but for games like Doom and the like, Difficulty settings are important for mods. If you thought I was crazy about it....you should see people in the Doom community when people don't test the difficulty settings. :)

Uh, yeah, again, Bureaucracy is still not displayed. And the Agricultural gives me -7% as the Vietnamese why?
Also, as I've said, the Great Desert Mosque and MAchu Pechu don't do exactly what they say.

There's no boost to tiles for the deserts, and only one peak is changed, and no others anywhere.

Also, for some Reason, Standard size maps seem a bit bigger...
My save game was clocking in at 450+ KB.
That rarely happens unless I'm playing on a larger map.

But yeah, I will try a harder difficulty.
Also, I love No Tech Brokering.

The font I'm seeing, I think is Desdemona. It is the same font displayed in the link you have for the 'New HUD'

Or at least let me know how to change it. :)

that is a most horrid font. I hope others are not experiencing that problem! I had that issue initially, but thought I had gotten rid of it and others that tested the game never said they had that problem.

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\ExtremeMod\Resource\Fonts

Inside that folder you should only see: arial.ttf, CharlemagneStd-Bold.otf, and sylfaen.ttf.

First I guess you could double click on each of those fonts, loading them into your system. I am assuming you would already have Arial but the other two may not be in there?

Alternatively, See if that nasty font is in the Fonts directory? If so, can you move it into another folder (I doubt you would ever want that font)?
I looked into my Windows folder and didn't see that font.

I am grasping at straws here.

When I first found that mod and used it in my creation, I thought the same thing -- what a horrible font to use in the game. I messed with it for a couple of hours and eventually it seemed to have started using Arial. I tried it on three other computers and they had the same font, so I thought I had fixed it.

This is the font that should be used for all menus and screens:

What a strange mystery. The offending font isn't anywhere to be seen in the mod. I'll try reinstalling it. I've opened all of the other fonts (though they were already in my system).

Having reinstalled, I still have the same problem. I don't know what to think.

Have you tried adding the fonts in the Mod's Font directory to your Window's directory?

Also, did you try to download the original mod at all (the Civil War Mod)? I wonder if it somehow corrupted one of the fonts -- perhaps re-installing the mod would help (though hopefully you won't have to redownload it).

This is the craziest thing?

Also check: C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS

make sure there isn't anything there?

Top Bottom