SGOTM 12 - Rules Discussion Thread

Are we allowed to use nukes?

Obviously we need to clean up the fall out before winning. But, Stalin may need to reap what he sowed or other AIs may need extra convincing that peace is the way.

Obviously we need to clean up the fall out before winning. But, Stalin may need to reap what he sowed or other AIs may need extra convincing that peace is the way.

I think you just answered your own question.

Overall Stalin has to die before we reach space. I would assume any nukes we launch after the launch would need to be cleared up.

Are we to understand that this statement means that the modified BUFFY we'll be playing under also includes some modified units and resources?
No. Erkon is simply indicating that some livestock has survived, so you have access to bonus resources. He explicitly stated:
Erkon said:
I refer to units that can be built in the game ...
... and I said ...

AlanH said:
So far, the only changes that have been made [to BUFFY] are already stated in the signup post

Is the ruling on Colonies the same as SGOTM11 (that any colony spawned must also be alive and at peace with us at end-game)?

vassal states are off kcd ;)

time for some civ again!

No victory option but space enabled means we can't accidentally win by dom or lose to AI cultural (lol) right? Why are you doing that, isn't it more challenging otherwise?

Correct. You can't win by domination, and you can't loose to AI cultural. I'm afraid that disclosing my reasoning may spoil some of the fun for you, right? :lol:

Overall Stalin has to die before we reach space. I would assume any nukes we launch after the launch would need to be cleared up.

Yes, you can nuke as much as you want, as long as you clean up after you :D

Is the ruling on Colonies the same as SGOTM11 (that any colony spawned must also be alive and at peace with us at end-game)?

Only the opponents from SGOTM10 needs to be alive and at peace with you at end-game. Colonies (if for any reason spawned) can be treated anyway you wish.

So if there is no fallout on the map before launch and we launch a nuke one turn before launch, are we responsible for cleaning up (a) the fallout from that nuke and (b) any radioactive dust that may fall after the SS launch?

So if there is no fallout on the map before launch and we launch a nuke one turn before launch, are we responsible for cleaning up (a) the fallout from that nuke and (b) any radioactive dust that may fall after the SS launch?

(a) yes
(b) I don't know why any dust would fall after the SS launch, so please PM me if that happens and if it's not your fault, then you're all right. We will be generous to players who suffer from uncontrolled AI activities, or unpredictable game mechanics. If you are not completely sure of the consequences of end game nukes, then I suggest you refrain from using them, right? :lol:

(a) yes
(b) I don't know why any dust would fall after the SS launch, so please PM me if that happens and if it's not your fault, then you're all right. We will be generous to players who suffer from uncontrolled AI activities, or unpredictable game mechanics. If you are not completely sure of the consequences of end game nukes, then I suggest you refrain from using them, right? :lol:

That's like handing a kid a nuclear weapon. Then telling the kid not to hit the launch button. ;)

I assume the mod will not change the mechanics of any part of the game including the rising sea option. I assume it is merely there to record more data?

I assume the mod will not change the mechanics of any part of the game including the rising sea option. I assume it is merely there to record more data?

I repeat my previous post:

So far, the only changes that have been made [to BUFFY] are already stated in the signup post

Alan -

I've not used the rising sea option previously. It appears to be option related to the Global Warming Mod that's included in BUFFY/HOF. I did some digging and found one small explanation by Minor Annoyance, who is the mod creator, as follows:

If a desert tile next to a water tiles is hit by global warming it turns to a coast tile. "Next to" means any of the eight squares around the tile and it doesn't have to be the ocean, it can be an inland lake. City tiles can't be hit so it could turn a city into an island but it won't destroy it.

Basically, what I take from this explanation, is that only desert tiles are impacted by "rising seas". Of course, I imagine that quite a few desert tiles could be generated in this game, with fallout, than what we start with.

I thought folks unfamiliar with this option, might appreciate this explanation. However, I wanted to confirm if this is the SGOTM's staff understanding of the rising sea option, and whether you have anything more to add/amend to MA's explanation.

thanks

Sounds about right. If that's what the mod creator says it does, then I doubt if the SGOTM staff could give a better or different description. Since Global Warming turns tiles to desert, and Rising Seas turns desert into coast, you'll probably lose some land.

(a) yes

I have played some nuke heavy games where I would get radioactive dust falling long after the launch of a nuke. I just wanted to check to see if we are responsible for cleaning those up. It sounds like we should just not expect to launch any nukes at the end of the game and discourage the AI from doing so too.

...Basically, what I take from this explanation, is that only desert tiles are impacted by "rising seas". Of course, I imagine that quite a few desert tiles could be generated in this game, with fallout, than what we start with.

I thought folks unfamiliar with this option, might appreciate this explanation. However, I wanted to confirm if this is the SGOTM's staff understanding of the rising sea option, and whether you have anything more to add/amend to MA's explanation...

I don't get global warming and rising seas to work as I want, and I will look at that once the start screen shot is release. Then I will confirm your statement. :goodjob:

I have played some nuke heavy games where I would get radioactive dust falling long after the launch of a nuke. I just wanted to check to see if we are responsible for cleaning those up. It sounds like we should just not expect to launch any nukes at the end of the game and discourage the AI from doing so too.

I've never seen such dust appear in my games :confused: Thanks for the info. Yeah, launching end game nukes is certainly playing with fire :lol:

I've never seen such dust appear in my games :confused: Thanks for the info. Yeah, launching end game nukes is certainly playing with fire :lol:
Launching nukes just before the finish, or any time earlier, for that matter, is hardly behavior warranting atonement.

Be true to your scenario!

With CivV coming soon and requiring Windows7, should we be concerned about people upgrading from Windows XP during the course of this SGOTM and causing problems for the cheating checker? My kids have a ton of old programs that may not work with Windows7 so I've been putting off the switch. For that matter, will CivIV still run on Windows7? I fear change. ;)

For that matter, will CivIV still run on Windows7?

I can run Civ4 on Windows 7 64 bit perfectly happily. I must admit I haven't played a SGOTM on Windows 7 but I'm sure I've seen posts from those who have done this.

That being said I don't think it's the wisest of ideas to switch operating system whilst playing a SGOTM. I waited until I finished my last SGOTM before switching from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit.

With CivV coming soon and requiring Windows7, should we be concerned about people upgrading from Windows XP during the course of this SGOTM and causing problems for the cheating checker? My kids have a ton of old programs that may not work with Windows7 so I've been putting off the switch. For that matter, will CivIV still run on Windows7? I fear change. ;)
The Old Ways are Best.

I successfully (albeit rockily) changed from an XP machine to a new Windows7 computer during SGOTM11.
Spoiler :
I need to check the dates, but pretty sure I played a SGOTM11 turnset on the old computer and one on the new one. I had trouble getting Civ to run initially.
Spoiler :
and still have an error on audio for techs that I haven't pursued
but working ok now.
Did I break the an xotm rule?

Top Bottom