SGOTM 12 - Rules Discussion Thread

I have some questions about selecting between the new BUFFY_SG12 mod for SGOTM-12 and standard BUFFY for all other Games (xOTM, HoF, etc.):

After installing BUFFY_SG12, can we select BUFFY_SG12 through the standard BtS menus for use with SGOTM-12?
Yes. It's just another mod, with a different name. BtS will treat them as distinct mods and allow either to be loaded using any of the normal mechanisms for selecting them.
Can we assume that this will also work with a BtS ini file that automatically loads standard BUFFY by default? To use BUFFY_SG12, this would presumably require BtS to reload itself with the manually selected BUFFY_SG12 mod?

Can we, thus, retain BUFFY auto loading for HoF or other xOTM or SG (BtS) games?
Yes. That's the way I operate, since I have BUFFY-3.19.003 set in my .ini file, in order to build BOTM start files.

Note that, if you double click the SGOTM 12 saves they should launch BtS and auto-load BUFFY_SG12. You should not even have to manually load BUFFY_SG12.
Will non-SGOTM-12 Games continue to be loadable via standard BUFFY and not loadable via BUFFY_SG12 and visa versa?
Yes. Once a game has been set up to use the standard BUFFY, it should auto-load BUFFY regardless of your .ini setting. Again, double clicking it should cause BUFFY to load up. A game that requires BUFFY-3.19.003 will not run if you try to load it with BUFFY_SG12, and vice versa.
Finally, it should not be possible to invalidate BUFFY Games via BUFFY_SG12 or visa versa, since the Games will require the mod they were originally created with when loading, right?
Correct. They will be different games, and the two mods will work independently in recording data for each game. You can currently have multiple HoF or BOTM games in play, all using standard BUFFY, and there should be no interaction between them. BUFFY_SG12 isn't even the same mod as BUFFY so far as BtS is concerned.
I realize that some of these questions may have been already answered by implication, directly or via prior knowledge, but I want to understand with crystal clarity how the BUFFY_SG12 mod will affect my current & future standard BUFFY Games as well as SGOTM-12, before I install the BUFFY_SG12 mod.

Sun Tzu Wu
No problem. I hope I've clarified the situation.

my eyes may be deceiving me, but the two tiles below (in red) don't appear to match

Grass forest - Is this a grass/hill forest or a plains/forest? The tile yield is 1F2H
Grass fallout
Grass forest settler
Grass forest - looks to me like just grass fallout
Plains hill fallout

Couple of questions:

1) When a desert tile has been hit by global warming, is it a percent each turn that it may turn into coast, or does it automatically turn to coast the immediate turn?

2) It was mentioned some where above that only nukes that have been dropped and not fallout that has been placed can induce global warming (which I'm not even sure is true). So, say6ing this, what type of fallout do we have - the kind that can induce global warming, or the kind that can't?

If a tile is selected for global warming, then it takes affect immediately. First the game decides if there will be global warming for the specific turn, and how many tiles that will be affected. The game picks these tiles at random, and not all tiles are affected by global warming.

Nukes will drive nuclear winter (the actual explosions, not the fallout). Global warming is driven by the combined impact from all cities (population unhealth, building unhealth, power usage).

However, the defense against these effects is significant, so you will probably not experience any effects at the end.

A question to help me preparing the test game.
If it's possible to answer, of course.

You stated that we have contact with all the AIs and that we start at war with them.
Of course this is not an AW scenario, but the war is triggered in WB.
Do the AIs have contact between all of them?

This can be seen once we have the save, so i don't think it's a classified info.

A related question is who declared war on whom? Them on us or us on them?
If i'm not wrong, when you set war between the human and an AI in WB, is the human who declares.
FWIK there's no way to make it work in the opposite way.

Either that or he added units to get contact, alt-clicked, deleted units, added back fog of war.

Me thinks the Diplomacy screen is easier but you never know :)

You have declared war on them. They don't have contact between them. The reason why I'm reluctant to reveal too much info in this thread (even if all these things will be obvious once you open the save) is that I don't want anyone to ask questions that are not scenario or rule related i.e. your strategic thinking may leak into your questions. Your questions may trigger thoughts in other teams that will help them :eek:. Please keep that in mind when you post. :D

Erkon said:
Strategic thinking.

:eek: That is quite a serious accusation. :eek:

I'm thinking of signing up for this, but first, I'd like to know: will we be able to clean up the fallout before the modern age?

I'm thinking of signing up for this, but first, I'd like to know: will we be able to clean up the fallout before the modern age?
Affirmative.
The good news is that you have managed to retain the knowledge of Ecology. The bad news is that the opponents have most certainly retained advanced knowledge as well, perhaps even nuclear technology.

All biological units have died from exposure to radiation, except your settler.

Does this mean the AI Civs do not start with any units or workers?

Yeah, this is actually a very important point to know, especially about units.

"The AI capitals are pre-settled. All biological units have died from exposure to radiation, except your settler."

"All" in this context means world wide, so the AI will not start with any workers. As stated earlier, "biological" in this context means any unit that breathe and eat. A scout is a biological unit, a work boat is not for example. I hope this definition suffice.

Top Bottom