The UU-A-Day Countdown

I think we can all agree that the Musketeer should require the chocolate resource.

Anyway, 9 days until release! The recent Escapist preview has put me in an Iroquois mood, so we'll look at their unique Swordsman, the Mohawk Warrior, today. A fierce infantry that fought for centuries against European gunpowder, this unit works best in its natural habitat - namely, it receives a combat bonus in forest and jungle.

This unit feels very Civ4-like, as it gains what appears to be a nice bonus for marginal combat territory. What's very un-Civ4-like is that this unit looks to be orders of magnitude more useful than the old Woodsman UUs, due to the death of stacking. Combined with Great Warpath (which negates the movement penalty for woods movement), this UU moves through forest as if it were open terrain, and can thus swiftly maneuver without the open field penalty. Thus, there's no reason not to stick to the tree hexes with the Mohawk: the decision between "get a defensive and UU bonus" or "get hit with a penalty" is one you don't need a spreadsheet to make. :D Thus, any offensives with this unit will almost certainly take place in woodlands, barring some logistical issues (desert crossings) - any maneuvering headaches are more than paid off with strength boosts. For defense, this unit once again shines, as the invading general has to make a nasty decision: slog through forests and get cut to bits by Mohawks, or go across flatland and suffer the open land penalty? By compounding the issues facing ancient invaders, the Iroquois can stave off a larger force by smart movement. In the end, smart movement is what this UU is all about: keep them on the right hexes, and you'll be richly rewarded.

I think the Iroquois UA only treats forests like roads within the cultural boundaries.

Also, where did you get verification that the unit gets a combat bonus in forests? I thought that was just speculation?

As far as speculating is concerned, I bet it is also resourceless.

I think the Iroquois UA only treats forests like roads within the cultural boundaries.

Also, where did you get verification that the unit gets a combat bonus in forests? I thought that was just speculation?

As far as speculating is concerned, I bet it is also resourceless.

Check the credits in the opening post; I edited them a few days ago.

It's not resourceless; it requires iron.

The Praetorian Guard was simply the body guards of the Emperor. Not only were they not common, they really didn't fight much. The same could be said of the Immortals (although they at least fought against the Greeks). They're doing it for flavor more than anything else and Musketeers are iconic of the era of Louis XIV. They were pretty cool too.

No, the Immortals campaigned quite a lot; and they may not always have been personally led by the Persian kings either (e.g. they were with Mardonius at Plataea according to Herodotus). They were fundamentally different from the Praetorians in this regard.

The first ability seems unremarkable - really, who cares about jungle? - until you factor in Civ5's start bias. Whereas Civ4 was happy to drop the Aztecs in some bleak tundra, Civ5 will try and place Monty someplace tropical, to ensure that his flavor/abilities are relevant.

I am not saying I don't believe you, but this is almost too good to be true, and I am going to have to ask for some sort of source :)

I am not saying I don't believe you, but this is almost too good to be true, and I am going to have to ask for some sort of source :)

I don't have any source, but I will support what he said. I remember reading that in some interview or preview that was posted here... And there were lot of conversation on the matter after that.

I don't have any source, but I will support what he said. I remember reading that in some interview or preview that was posted here... And there were lot of conversation on the matter after that.

Don't get my hopes up! Does anyone have any kind of source?

That civilizations will be placed on the map according to the climate they belong to. Like Aztecs near jungle, Arabs near desert and so on.

That civilizations will be placed on the map according to the climate they belong to. Like Aztecs near jungle, Arabs near desert and so on.

I believe this information came from one of the player reports from Gamescom.
I'll see if I can find it...

I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you

Ah ha...this was what I remembered.
The first post in this thread made by The_J includes the following comment:
Looked at "Remove starting bias": It seems, that normally the civs are distributed in a special connection to the terrain, and that this option removes this. E.g. normally the english start near the water, the Iroquis in the woods, and this option removes that.

It's brilliant. I certainly hope that means what we think it means. It would be most awesome, and I might even want to play randomly generated maps then.

No, the Immortals campaigned quite a lot; and they may not always have been personally led by the Persian kings either (e.g. they were with Mardonius at Plataea according to Herodotus). They were fundamentally different from the Praetorians in this regard.

Yeah, I was wrong there. Although Herodotus seems to be the biggest source about them. Compared to the Praetorian Guard, even having them fight at Thermopylae and Platea is far, far better.

Anyway, the Mohawk Warrior isn't bad, but it does bug me. It seems the Iroquois are putting far too many of their eggs in one basket. If there are no trees, they're screwed. I realize you can have start biases, but that seems the only way to make them good.

Given what we know about the tile yields (which isn't yet complete, I'll grant you), not having forests nearby would be a major problem for any civ. Certainly more pronounced for Iroquois, but you were probably going to be behind as anyone.

I realy like the mohawk warrior. The Iroquois nation wasnt one that I wanted to try at first since they looked like just another Aztek-like war nation, but now I realy wanna try them out they seem much more versatile what I though

2 hours of gameplay footage later (thanks 2k Greg :goodjob:), we're at 8 days remaining. We'll look at a unit revealed today via Greg's video, the German Panzer. A long-time favorite (who doesn't like high-power Tanks?), the Civ5 version doesn't disappoint: whereas the Landy had a discount, the Panzer has no pretenses about its purpose. This UU gets an unparalleled +10 strength (60) and one extra movement point over standard Tanks.

Of all the UUs I've analyzed so far, this one can be tactically discussed in a single word: Wow. It's like the Companion Cavalry, warped forward 2500 years, and given extra strength for its trouble. For the German player that wanted a warmonger's UU, this is their big payoff. 60 strength is absolutely staggering, giving this unit an edge over anything short of Modern Armor and the GDR. A 24-strength advantage over the resourceless unit of its age (60 vs 36) is something well worth exploiting, and more specialized units will fall to the mighty Panzer. More importantly, the counter - the aptly-named Anti-Tank Gun - gets a mere 4 strength advantage after its bonus is applied. For sake of comparison, even a lowly +10% strength bonus will push the Panzer over its main counter. Just let that sink in - for all intents and purposes, the Panzer is uncounterable. When a UU overpowers the unit designed to stop it, you know you've got something good on your hands. :goodjob: To make things even better, the Panzer gets an extra move point, making it the fastest (or second, depending how you count Gunships) land unit this side of the Sipahi. The extra move will make the Panzer fantastic at cleaning up shelled units, and the extra strength guarantees victories. While flanking maneuvers matter less in the industrial era (no Archer lines to tear through, or siege detachments to wreck), the Panzer can exploit any that arise.

In short, anyone dismayed by the Landy should feel redeemed by this modern power.

UU- and UA-wise Germany seems to be a late starter (which fits the view of realism btw). While a combat bonus against barbarians doesn't seem too strong and the Landsknecht doesn't impress as well, the industrial era seems to be the turnaround for a German CIV.

Two abilities that seem to make the Panzer very powerful. + 10 strength AND a movement bonus. Close to be 'overpowered'? Only if you think in terms of previous CIV-versions:

Movement: Speed is power. In CIV III for example the panzer's bonus was +1 Movement, without any strength bonus... and it was a good UU-ability. In Civ V, I think movement is not that important like before, especially in later eras. As we could see in Gregs gameplay video, the modern eras are "spammed" with units. OK, you still can get your newly produced Panzers quickly to the front. However once they arrive the frontline, they should have some difficulties to use their movement-bonus at maximum benefit, just because the front will be spammed with units.

Strength: We don't know much about the exact calculations for combat. +10 strength looks indeed powerful, but maybe just at a first glance? It's speculation, but I think it is an educated guess, that the relation between strength-values of the units is decisive, and not the absolute number. A Panzer vs a Tank is 60 vs 50, which is 20% better than the non-UU. A Hoplite is at a strength of 9 vs a 7-strength-Spearman, which makes a UU-bonus of 29%. So, +10 strength seems to be much, but you have to look at it in comparison to its non-UU counterpart.

However: Overall it looks like a strong and interesting unit, which can be very strong in the hands of a good human player :)

I think the Panzer will be awesome. I think its most viable counter is going to actually be "Softening up with flying units." Then you attack with your anti-tanks and your gunships.

From watching ZOC in action - if you rewatch the videos, you can see the gigantic difference in blue outlines when he's moving around Napoleon's troops - I'd say that you can stop true flanking by having a well created line of infantry - a unit may die, but the Zone of Control will halt significant offensive mobility from that point.

I think if Germany's on your border, this becomes a sensible precaution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line

Top Bottom