civ editing problem

ZackHatesYou

Chieftain
Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with a problem, I edited my city.txt and rules.txt files to replace some civs, and now whenever a civ runs out of standard named cities and should be going into the generic cities, the game crashes. I replaced the edited files with the standard files, and it worked fine, so I was hoping someone could help me figure out what I screwed up, because I just can't seem to figure out what i did wrong here.

I haven't got a clue about what you messed up, but I'd guess that you can get around the problem by adding a buttload of city names. At least for a while...........could well crash in the end anyway.

Did you remember to put '@STOP' at the end of the city list? That might be the problem.
'Adding a buttload' won't help, on the other hand - I have tried putting 50 names in the list, but after no. 30 it still jumped to the extras.

Did you remember to put '@STOP' at the end of the city list? That might be the problem.
'Adding a buttload' won't help, on the other hand - I have tried putting 50 names in the list, but after no. 30 it still jumped to the extras.
Strange, I have no problems passing 30. I added 60+ names for some of my favorite civilizations and I never seen that. (2.42 and MGE)

Strange, I have no problems passing 30. I added 60+ names for some of my favorite civilizations and I never seen that. (2.42 and MGE)

Well, on my old computer I couldn't go beyond 30. I don't know what version that was, - the sleeve on the CD I bought it on said ToT, but I've since realized it definitely wasn't. I've got MGE now, but haven't tried putting more than 30 names in, believing it to be an inherent limitation, like the max. 256 cities. I'll try it now, though - my gamestyle normally means I build a lot more than 30 cities.

By the way, Zack, if you're still around, I've thought of another possible explanation for your problem. You haven't accidentally deleted the extras or the line saying '@EXTRA'? That would almost certainly make the game crash.

Top Bottom