How small can you get:A FPS game with a total size of 96 KB (complete game) !!!

aneeshm

Deity
I read a bout a game , kkrieger , in a computing magazine , and it was a full-size freeware FPS with a total download size of 96 KB . I was skeptical , but I had to believe it when I saw that it was made by the same people who had created 11-minute 3-d videos fit into a file of size 64 KB . The game is attached here . The video file will be next . If anyone knows how this is done , please tell me .

Note : This is only the beta version . The minimum system requirements are rather high :-

512 MB ram
128 MB vram
1.5ghz proc
105 KB HDD :lol:
a sound card
Direct X 9.0b

Attachments

• kkrieger-beta.zip
    97.8 KB · Views: 5,829
If it's a game and not a virus, it probably makes use of many Gigabytes of built in Microsoft API and various language objects ;)

Originally posted by stormbind
If it's a game and not a virus, it probably makes use of many Gigabytes of built in Microsoft API and various language objects ;)

This was discussed on slashdot a few weeks ago. Stormbind is right, it uses the directx8 api and textures are drawn on the fly. Here's a link to the discussion if you're interest.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/15/1239203&mode=thread&tid=127&tid=186&tid=204

I've tried to run it in Linux with both wine and cvswinex, no go. Since I'm not into FPS in the first place I never bothered booting to Windows to give it a try.

Flabby...

Pretty sure an 80s FP game (NOT a shooter) used about 16K or so. I've seen listings for 1K chess programs.

NOT VERY GOOD chess programs... but it's not a record. Sorry.

Chess is not a First Person Shooter ;)

The precursor to Doom (same developers) was over 1Mb, I'm sure - game with a wizard shooting undead.

Earliest first person perspective game I can think of involved navigating a maze, like 3D pacman. Was really awful line/vector graphics. Think it was a few hundred Kilobytes. I'm no expert of retro gaming though.

The size of this particular game does not surprise me. Microsoft have a lot of objects bundled with the OS that would traditionally need to be custom-made for each application but which can now be imported on the fly.

This is the MS strategy to making Windows (and API) "essential" and never optional. You should avoid such paracitic programs if you desire independence of the corporate empire ;)

I have made the same mistake of using MS components in my programs. Never again! Erm... well, they make it so easy that there's a continuous temptation :(

After learning of the problems the hard way and realising what is really needed, I designed an OS that should blow Windows (and Linux, JavaOS, etc.) out of the water but I'll never have the resources or time to build it :cry:

Do yourselves a favour, never throw out your old PC!! Instead, use it to become familiar with Linux, JavaOS or BeOS (see OpenBeOS for current project) and prepare yourself for a migration to freedom! ;)

Originally posted by stormbind
Chess is not a First Person Shooter ;)

The precursor to Doom (same developers) was over 1Mb, I'm sure - game with a wizard shooting undead.

Earliest first person perspective game I can think of involved navigating a maze, like 3D pacman. Was really awful line/vector graphics. Think it was a few hundred Kilobytes. I'm no expert of retro gaming though.

Ah. I was thinking of Michael Orwin's (?) 3D Monster Maze, circa 1982. It didn't even have vector graphics - just different text shapes printed on the screen to give an illusion of 3D.

The Monster in question was a T-Rex - idea was to get to the exit before it ate you.

Jurrassic Park it was not.

Hm... I think Catacomb Abyss was about 900 KBs or so...

Catacomb Abyss was the first 3D First Person Shooter made. It is the Precursor to Wolfenstein 3D, which is the Precursor to Quake and Doom

Top Bottom