Language translations for leader sayings

Washington's accent is vaguely Virginian, but it might be fake.

The mandarin of Wu Zetian sounds quite proper, but not commanding like I would imagine. She is a Chinese native from mid China, and has neither a northern or southern accent.

Louis XXIV said:
Washington's accent is vaguely Virginian, but it might be fake.
Vaguely Virginian makes sense for Washington, yeah. Hm. Wonder how they picked the voice actor.

Kushluk said:
The mandarin of Wu Zetian sounds quite proper, but not commanding like I would imagine. She is a Chinese native from mid China, and has neither a northern or southern accent.
Wu's Mandarin, I hear, has the correct pronunciation, but the type of Mandarin she uses doesn't befit a ruler at all, I hear (i.e. in terms of formal tense etc). Furthermore she does indeed sound like a teenage girl. :|

Montezuma's Intro is probably something like: "My name is Montezuma, Emperor of the Mayans and Aztecs. Blahblahblah." (Ne cuan e Moctezuma ac! Impero Incan inon Aztecas! Ya (nekiteckyatrehn), nicha-xacatl!)

You know nahuatl?

Also, if he says that he is the emperor of Mayans and Aztecs, what is he talking about Incas?

So Bismarck's accent isn't easy to specifically locate right? What is "high German" anyway? Formal German, or sorta old-fashioned German, like Middle English or something?

Well, High German (or Standard German) is spoken very much as it is written. I believe it is mainly spoken in the middle of Germany (around Hannover?) and is said to be "the purest" form of german. Bismark seems to try to speak this formal german... allthough this is probably what you learn in school anyway, though I don't know if it is accidental or volitional.

Catherine.

Speaks modern Russian.

Attacked: You've mistaken my passion for a weakness, you'll regret about this. = Ты принял мою страсть за слабость, ты пожалеешь об этом.
DeclareWar: You've behaved yourself very badly, you know it. Now its a payback time.= Ты очень плохо себя вел, ты это знаешь. Настал час расплаты.
Defeated: We were defeated, so this makes me your slave. It seems that this is not the worst fate ;) = Мы были побеждены, так что я становлюсь твоей пленницей. Мне кажется это не самый худший удел.
HateHearIt01: And? = И?。
HateHearIt02: Forward. = Дальше.
HateHearIt03: Go on. = Продолжай.
HateHello: What do you need? = Что тебе нужно?
HateNo01: Are you joking? = Ты шутишь?
HateNo02: Excuse me. = Прошу прощения.
HateNo03:This is not acceptable. = Это не приемлемо.
HateYes01: Oh... Very good. = Ох... Очень хорошо.
HateYes02: I think I agree = Пожалуй я соглашусь.
HateYes03: Deal = Договорились.
Intro: I greet you, stranger! If your intellect and tact are comparable with your attractiveness, we'll make it just fine. = Приветствую тебя, незнакомец! Если твой ум и такт сравнимы с твоей привлекательностью, мы замечательно поладим.
NeutralHearIt01: Go on. = Продолжай.。
NeutralHearIt02: Speak. = Говори.。
NeutralHearIt03: Go on.= Продолжай.(same line as 01)
NeutralHello: Hello. = Здравствуй.。
NeutralNo01: Ha! Of course not! = Ха! Разумеется нет.
NeutralNo02: We Decline. = Мы отказываемся.
NeutralNo03: No for sure = Конечно нет.
NeutralYes01: Deal. = Договорились.
NeutralYes02: Wonderful. = Прекрасно.
NeutralYes03: Very Good.= Очень хорошо.
Peaceful: Now its the time to enjoy the fruits of peace. = Теперь пора насладиться плодами мира.
Request: How would you like if I propose this kind of exchange? = Как тебе понравится, если я предложу такой обмен?

black213 said:
You know nahuatl?

Also, if he says that he is the emperor of Mayans and Aztecs, what is he talking about Incas?
No, but a reasonable guess works, as Spanish is part of his reply. Montezuma definitely didn't rule over the Incas, but it might be that the word refers to other natives in the region (hence Mayans in my theoretical translation).

Azalnubizar said:
Well, High German (or Standard German) is spoken very much as it is written. I believe it is mainly spoken in the middle of Germany (around Hannover?) and is said to be "the purest" form of german. Bismark seems to try to speak this formal german... allthough this is probably what you learn in school anyway, though I don't know if it is accidental or volitional.
Interesting! So what determines the "purity" of that dialect? Is it maybe its age, or its formal qualities?

Thanks to Describer for translating Catherine! I made some minor grammatical edits (like adding apostrophes) but beyond that all is intact.

You know what's funny about Gandhi's Defeated message? "You have defeated the weak and helpless"....that's exactly what India is in Civ V. They really need a balance boost. Mughal Fort costing no maintenance in the next patch is fine, but the UA needs some work, and the elephant should get more melee strength.

as a native thai speaker. i think the voice of Ramkhamhaeng has been translated from english dialog. that is why it is sound so wired. but the speaking itself is definitely by native thai.

That might be it then--they approached it starting with English, rather than trying to get a more natural expression out of the voice actors. Firaxis seriously needs more staff that speak multiple languages, as that would make it easier to solve the problem. =|

The Aztecs were not even aware of the existence of the Incas, until they were told of them by the Spanish. They never traveled that far south, and no Incans ever traveled that far north.

So, Catherine uses singular, informal "you"? That's not very diplomatic of her.

Spoiler :
Attacked: You are evil. I/we will be prepared to deal with you [low-status 'you']. (ผู้คนต่ำช้าเราจะเตรียมพร้อมสำหรับรับมือเจ้า)
DeclareWar: You are a lowly person, yet you are arrogant. I/we will make you sad. With words you have shown yourself to be overconfident. (ผู้คนต่ำต้อยจองหองเราจะทำให้เจ้าเสียใจ กับคำอวดดีของเจ้า)
Defeated: Although I/we shall be defeated, even so, only my/our mere possessions will be bothered to stay over the fire continuously. I/we have no way to choose what else to request. Good luck to you [high-status 'you']! (แม้เราจะแพ้แต่เกรดของเราจะลนอยู่ตลอดไปเราไม่มีทาง เลือกใดอีกขอให้ท่านโชคดี) [It's impossible to tell whether he's saying 'ลนอยู่ตลอดไป' or 'รนอยู่ตลอดไป'... both make sense but have quite different meanings.]
Demand: This is an agreement of ours. You [high-status 'you'] shall agree [to the conditions] or you shall agree to die! (นี่เป็นเงื่อนไขของเราท่านจะยอมรับ หรือจะยอมตาย)
HateHearIt01: You say that... (เจ้าบอกว่า)
HateHearIt02: And? (แล้ว) [Devilishly hard to translate.]
HateHearIt03: I invite you to negotiate. (เชิญต่อ)
HateHello: Hello. (สวัสดี)
HateNo01: This is a thing that cannot be agreed on. (นี่เป็นสิ่งที่ยอมรับไม่ได้)
HateNo02: You probably didn't mean that really. (เจ้าคงไม่ได้หมายความเช่นจริงๆ)
HateNo03: You said what? (เจ้าพูดว่าอะไรนะ)
HateYes01: I/we think that you have to make it like that. (เราคิดว่าเจ้าต้องทำเช่นนั้น)
HateYes02: Very good. (ดีมาก)
Intro: I am King Ramkhamhaeng, King of Siam. I regard this occasion as a very great honour, that you are able to come here to visit my country of Siam. (เราพ่อขุนรามคำแหงกษัตริย์แห่งสยาม นับเป็นเกียรติอย่างยิ่งที่ท่านเดินมาได้เยี่ยม ประเทศสยามของเรา)
NeutralHearIt01: Like that? (อย่างนั้นหรือ)
NeutralHearIt02: You say that... (เจ้าบอกว่า)
NeutralHearIt03: I/we am/are listening. (เรากำลังฟังอยู่)
NeutralHello Welcome! (ยินดีต้อนรับ)
NeutralNo01 No. (ไม่)
NeutralNo02 [I'm] not sure. (ไม่แน่นอน)
NeutralNo03 [You] have no chance! (ไม่มีทาง)
NeutralYes01: If [it's] like that. (ถ้าอย่างนั้น)
NeutralYes02: Certainly! (แน่นอน)
NeutralYes03: Okay. (ตกลง)
Peaceful: You are the winner already; but I/we shall come back again in order to get adequate compensation for this [defeat]. (เจ้าชนะแล้ว แต่เราจะกลับมาใหม่เพื่อตอบแทนเจ้าให้สาสม)
Request: Hello. I/we believe that this is an offer that is suitable for both parties. What do you think about it? (สวัสดีเราเชื่อว่านี่เบ็นข้อเสนอที่จะทำสำหรับทั้นส องฝ่ายท่านคิดว่าอย่างไร)

Maybe i can help with the thai translation. Theres a couple of words that are mistranslated here = )... Also, i find the lines to be translated from an english script, especially those trade dialogues. Those lines will never ever come up irl, some doesnt make much sense untranslated.

Spoiler :
Intro: เราพ่อขุนรามคำแหงกษัตริย์แห่งสยาม นับเป็นเกียรติอย่างยิ่งที่ท่านเดินมาได้เยี่ยม ประเทศสยามของเรา
Intro: I, Pho Khun Ramkhamhaeng, King of Siam. It is of great honour, that you would walk to visit the Siamese country of ours.
Attacked: เจ้าคนต่ำช้า เราจะเตรียมพร้อมสำหรับรับมือเจ้า
Attacked: You, lowly fools! We shall prepare to fend you off.
DeclareWar: เจ้าคนต่ำต้อยจองหอง เราจะทำให้เจ้าเสียใจกับคำอวดดีของเจ้า
DeclareWar: You, lowly arrogant fools! We will make you regret your insolence.
Defeated: แม้เราจะแพ้ แต่เกียรติ์ของเราจะดำรงอยู่ตลอดไป เราไม่มีทางเลือกใดอีก ขอให้ท่านโชคดี
Defeated: Although we lost, our pride shall remain. We have no other choice; we bid you farewell.
Note: the word its ดำรง which means remain/proliferate.
Demand: นี่เป็นเงื่อนไขของเราท่านจะยอมรับ หรือจะยอมตาย
Demand: This is our conditions. Would you choose to agree, or to die.
HateHearIt01: เจ้าบอกว่า
HateHearIt01: You say?
HateHearIt02: แล้ว
HateHearIt02: So?
HateHearIt03: เชิญต่อ
HateHearIt03: Go on.
HateHello: สวัสดี
HateHello: Greetings.
HateNo01: นี่เป็นสิ่งที่ยอมรับไม่ได้
HateNo01: This is unacceptable.
HateNo02: เจ้าคงไม่ได้หมายความเช่นจริงๆ
HateNo02: I hope you don't really mean that.
HateNo03: You said what? (เจ้าพูดว่าอะไรนะ)
HateYes01: เราคิดว่าเจ้าต้องทำเช่นนั้น
HateYes01: I knew you would do that.
HateYes02: ดีมาก
HateYes02: Very well.
NeutralHearIt01: อย่างนั้นหรือ
NeutralHearIt01: Is that so?
NeutralHearIt02: เจ้าบอกว่า
NeutralHearIt02: You say?
NeutralHearIt03: เรากำลังฟังอยู่
NeutralHearIt03: We are listening.
NeutralHello: ยินดีต้อนรับ
NeutralHello: Welcome.
NeutralNo01: ไม่
NeutralNo01: No.
NeutralNo02: ไม่ แน่นอน
NeutralNo02: Certainly not.
NeutralNo03: ไม่มีทาง
NeutralNo03: No way.
NeutralYes01: ถ้าอย่างนั้น
NeutralYes01: So be it.
NeutralYes02: แน่นอน
NeutralYes02: Certainly.
NeutralYes03: ตกลง
NeutralYes03: Agreed.
Peaceful: เจ้าชนะแล้ว แต่เราจะกลับมาใหม่เพื่อตอบแทนเจ้าให้สาสม
Peaceful: You have won. But we shall return to repay this debt.
Request: สวัสดีเราเชื่อว่านี่เบ็นข้อเสนอที่จะทำสำหรับทั้งสองฝ่าย ท่านคิดว่าอย่างไร
Request: Greetings. We believe this is a fair proposal for both parties. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for those corrections theabyssal. It seems I mangled a few but did okay with some others. It's very difficult to go Thai --> English. I find that simple things like "เสียใจ" or "แล้ว", etc. don't really have good corresponding English words/phrases, and whatever you put will miss the point a bit.

It would have been better for a Thai person to write the lines IMHO. I agree that some of the lines aren't things you'd hear in real life.

Also thanks for pointing out "ดำรง". That section was really far too quick for me to understand.

:goodjob:

@boehj

no problem = )... id be happy if u learn sth new. if i may say so, your thai is on some pretty extraordinary level. i myself am learning german and i cant understand bismarck as clearly as u could understand ram.

also, yeah we have way too much particle words that doesnt really mean anything, but would make the sentence weird if left without. like แล้ว... it basically turns the whole sentence into perfect tense..

CladinShadows said:
The Aztecs were not even aware of the existence of the Incas, until they were told of them by the Spanish. They never traveled that far south, and no Incans ever traveled that far north.
That's exactly right, and the use of "incas" in Montezuma's Nahuatl is part of the Spanish influence. Hence "Incas y Aztecas".

Thanks theabyssal for corrections, I'll add them to the parent post. Good work from you and boehj. :)

I hope we get all these done, I was long waiting for them.

As a side note: I really hate Augustus's accent, especially in 'Romae' (he pronounces both vowels, 'a', 'e', when it should be just a short 'e' as in Ben).
Side note 2: Catherine wants to be my slave! I knew it :)

ok, now I completed transcriptions of last bits of Oda.

Peaceful : It was honor to fight you. 戦いもうして光栄でござる。

but I'm not sure of translation of this -

Intro : (I) salute (武勇の誉れ高き) you and (I) really hope fair and just partnership (with you). 武勇の誉れ高き貴殿にご挨拶申し上げたく。更に公正かつ公平なる連係を心よりお願い申し上げま する。

武勇の誉れ高き : can be translated to '誉れ高き from 武勇'
'武勇な' is an adjective for a brave warrior or a competent commander. '武勇' is a noun.
'誉れ' means 'fame' and '高き' means 'high' -so 誉れ高き translated to famous.

so '武勇の誉れ高き貴殿' means : you, who is famous from '武勇'
could be 'you, widely known as a great general' or 'you, famous for such gallantry'
but I want to place phrase '武勇の誉れ高き' in front of 'you'.

and finally about this:
Defeated : (You) were much wiser than I estimated. 余が認めた以上に遥かに賢明でござった。

the reason why I used the word ' estimate' was to translate more literally, but does this sounds weird? If so, what would be more appropriate and more, 'literal'?

認める(verb) basically means 'admit' or 'approve', and could be used as, 'estimate' or 'recognize' like in
an artist who isn't 'recognized' in his life. or 'recognized' by boss.

Interesting! So what determines the "purity" of that dialect? Is it maybe its age, or its formal qualities?

I think my last post might have been a bit misleading. "High German" is what somebody in the past once defined as "Standard German" or German. Anything that differs (compared to High German) is a dialect.

i myself am learning german and i cant understand bismarck as clearly as u could understand ram.

Don't forget that Bismarks german isn't that perfect either. There where two sentences where even I didn't understand him allthough I am a native german. And most of it isn't "everyday-german" :)

So, Catherine uses singular, informal "you"? That's not very diplomatic of her.

I can't speak for the time period, but I know ancient rulers (even ones that were seen as either God-Kings or messengers of the gods) would often address each other as "brother". The idea was that, among equals, they were addressed informally. Like I said, I don't know how the concern of Europe handled things (short of those who were actually related), so it could be different.

Modern High German is considered as the Standard German today.

- Middle High German (high as moutainous) was the southern Regions native Dialect.
- Low German Dialects (low as flat) -> northern Regions.
Martin Luther translated the Bible into German in his native High German.
In this way High German became standard German.
Northern Germans learned it as a "foreign language", hence they speak the purest
modern High German today :crazyeye:

And hence German UNLIKE English is actually consistently pronounced as spelled!!! :D

Top Bottom