Megaupload closed down by the Feds.

Skwink

FRIIIIIIIIIITZ
Article

One of the world’s largest file-sharing sites was shut down Thursday, and its founder and several company executives were charged with violating piracy laws, federal prosecutors said.

An indictment accuses Megaupload.com of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed one day after websites including Wikipedia and Craigslist shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to thwart online piracy.

What's your reaction to this?

Now that they've taken down a pirating operation that uses centralized servers, piracy shall end. No other means to pirate mp3s now kids!

Megaupload has never been the go to place for pirating for me. Fileserve or Rapidshare come to mind, but I have used it to upload documents to send to people and this hurts me.

Never used it, and i think it required registering (?might be confusing it with rapidshare?) which is always a bad idea. But overall i can't say i feel sympathy for those people since they make real money out of it, unlike the poor anonymous persons who just dl some pirated content. So i don't mind if the authorities go after the providers, but i hate it if they hunt down users as a scare tactic.

Good riddance to it - pirates are currently causing us enough trouble on the legislative front. If found guilty, I hope they get serious jail time.

But the Motion Picture Association of America, which has campaigned for a crackdown on piracy, estimated that the vast majority of content being shared on Megaupload was in violation of copyright laws.

evidence please, not just a random "estimate"

Good riddance to it - pirates are currently causing us enough trouble on the legislative front. If found guilty, I hope they get serious jail time.

If you honestly think shutting down rapidshare or megaupload impacts piracy in any way shape or form, you do not know enough about internet piracy to comment on it.

If you honestly think shutting down rapidshare or megaupload impacts piracy in any way shape or form, you do not know enough about internet piracy to comment on it.

So if I don't agree with you, I'm obviously too stupid to warrant an opinion. Gotcha!

Never used it, and i think it required registering (?might be confusing it with rapidshare?)

Was neither required for downloading, nor for uploading.

And my reaction: Crap!
I've used MegaUpload as one of the mirrors for my mod, and I don't think any of the other one click hosters allows such big files.
Thanks USA :mad:.

So if I don't agree with you, I'm obviously too stupid to warrant an opinion. Gotcha!

It's a statement of fact.

My reaction to the news: this only hurts innocents.

My reaction to the OP: LOL, "lost revenue".

Nope, not what he said. He said that this shutting down of megaupload doesn't affect piracy, and your failing to see that demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of how piracy on the internet works.

Nope, not what he said. He said that this shutting down of megaupload doesn't affect piracy, and your failing to see that demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of how piracy on the internet works.

He strawmanned me, as I never made the claim that it would impact overall piracy :crazyeye:

Well, if anyone needs space for a legit file missing on MegaUpload, I can host them until finding a new mirror (as long as you don't get thousands of downloads a day or something). Just send a PM.

It was implicit in the "Good riddance, hope they catch the pirates," post.

He strawmanned me, as I never made the claim that it would impact overall piracy :crazyeye:

Then perhaps you could explain what you meant in this post:

And my reaction: Crap!
I've used MegaUpload as one of the mirrors for my mod, and I don't think any of the other one click hosters allows such big files.
Thanks USA :mad:.
I thought the same thing.

It really wasn't a strawman. If you think shutting down centralized services impacts piracy in any way then you don't know enough about piracy to comment on it. Megaupload / Rapidshare are a pittance compared to thepiratebay / torrenting protocols.

Then perhaps you could explain what you meant in this post:

The same thing as when a murderer or rapist gets caught and sent to jail. I don't care if it impacts on overall crime figures or not, that's not the point. I'm glad that people who pirate should be arrested and dealt with by the court system - that is the correct way to deal with a problem like this in a society of laws.

SOPA said:
It really wasn't a strawman. If you think shutting down centralized services impacts piracy in any way then you don't know enough about piracy to comment on it. Megaupload / Rapidshare are a pittance compared to thepiratebay / torrenting protocols.

Well they had better find a way to make it work, or we get SOPA and other nasties that ruin the internet for decent citizens.

Also what I would like to know is why they took down the site before they were proved quilty. I thought innocent until proved quilty was the rule.

Also what I would like to know is why they took down the site before they were proved quilty. I thought innocent until proved quilty was the rule.

If you're on trial, injunctions can be had to stop you from continuing your actions until your guilt / innocence is proven.

Top Bottom