What Nation is your Colony?

frisbee

Chieftain
Every now and then I create a colony. I started keeping track, and 8 of the last 10 times, it's been America (all 3 leaders).

This seems randomly implausible (I haven't tracked what other civs were present in my game, which I need to do, but I know in several cases, the USA wasn't present).

Does anyone know the logic behind what civilization you get when you liberate some cities?

Thanks-Frisbee

In my latest game, the AI created a colony and it was England.

America seems like a logical choice for a colony since it's a relatively new civ in real-world terms.

Check your Civ4CivilizationsInfo.xml file. The information is all in there. Look for DerivativeCiv. For example, Carthage's is Spain, Rome's is Byzantine, Babylon's is Persia. Some, such as Russia or Arabia, have none listed--pick at random?
As for America, your perception is valid. All the New World Civs and the colonizing civs have America as the derivative civ.

^Orion, was it the Celts? They're the only ones who have England as a derivative civ.

Check your Civ4CivilizationsInfo.xml file. The information is all in there. Look for DerivativeCiv. For example, Carthage's is Spain, Rome's is Byzantine, Babylon's is Persia. Some, such as Russia or Arabia, have none listed--pick at random?
As for America, your perception is valid. All the New World Civs and the colonizing civs have America as the derivative civ.

^Orion, was it the Celts? They're the only ones who have England as a derivative civ.

Thanks for info (I looked a the file). I'm surprised and disappointed that it's not random.

Did you know you cam choose your vassal, theres a mod I found out when I started a thread in Modding forum. Search my forum handle and you will find the mod. I always play a European leader when I play and I like to choose a European Vassal. Viking is not a bad vassal if they have atleast 5 cities there financial is a good boost, plus there Agressive trait gives them good unit promotions. Perfect combination for a vassal. Holland is a pretty good vassal to have also. When I grant indepence. I like to pick a good civ that can hold its own, Like Viking or Holland. I generally don't like to grant a industrious vassal. Because they compete for wonders.

Did you know you cam choose your vassal, theres a mod I found out when I started a thread in Modding forum. Search my forum handle and you will find the mod. I always play a European leader when I play and I like to choose a European Vassal. Viking is not a bad vassal if they have atleast 5 cities there financial is a good boost, plus there Agressive trait gives them good unit promotions. Perfect combination for a vassal. Holland is a pretty good vassal to have also. When I grant indepence. I like to pick a good civ that can hold its own, Like Viking or Holland. I generally don't like to grant a industrious vassal. Because they compete for wonders.

Thanks for info on mod - I'm not really interested in choosing my vassal (might skew the balance) - Mostly I just enjoy the feeling I get when I unwrap my bright shiny new pet.

No, it was Suleiman and the new civ was Churchill. Maybe Suleiman's set colony was already in the game?

Thanks for info (I looked a the file). I'm surprised and disappointed that it's not random.

If the derivative Civ is not in the game, then you get the derivative Civ. If the derivative Civ is already in the game, it randomly picks from the remaining off-map Civs. So it's kind-of random, depending on how you allocated your Civs at game-start and which Civ you are playing.

Just not fully random.

If the derivative Civ is not in the game, then you get the derivative Civ. If the derivative Civ is already in the game, it randomly picks from the remaining off-map Civs. So it's kind-of random, depending on how you allocated your Civs at game-start and which Civ you are playing.

Just not fully random.

If there any way to modify the xml file to make it random (for example, by making the derivative civ a null value?

I don't want to run a mod - Buffy works just fine for me.

--Frisbee

If there any way to modify the xml file to make it random (for example, by making the derivative civ a null value?

I don't want to run a mod - Buffy works just fine for me.

--Frisbee

If you look in the XML file, some Civs do not have a derivative Civ specified (I haven't looked in awhile, but I think it says NONE in caps or the tag is just empty). Copy-paste that entry over all other derivative Civ entries and it should be completely random.

Standard warning: it would be best to do this in a duplicate file, and drop it into the CustomAssets. That way, your base game files are safe if you make a mistake (just delete your additional file and retry). Also, if the BUFFY mod doesn't have a corresponding file, your CustomAssets file will still be loaded and used instead.

Top Bottom