Info on Next Patch

Fix Maritime city states, increase unhappiness from # cities to nerf ICS, reduce the punitive food costs for decent size cities, nerf puppets, and improve tactical unit AI.

Everything else is a distant second.

I think it's great they are thinking of adding AI and diplomacy to the game... /snark

My original post before I paired it down for length addressed the second half. Basically, something to do with more clearly defined spheres of influence, so hostility isn't automatically generated by touching borders, but by intrusion into your sphere. But I do think hostility for other reasons (such as interference with city-state relationships or breaking a Pact of Secrecy) should exist. I'm also not opposed to simple warmongering from aggressive leaders. I just think natural conflict over borders should not lead to war when neither side did anything wrong.

But I think with how simplistic diplomacy is in Civ games you can't take the information the game gives you as the only thing going on. You have to roleplay, use your imagination a bit. Close borders could imply that there are incidents going on, and just because the game isn't telling you about them doesn't mean they aren't there (in the roleplay empire building fantasy you are creating :) )

Originally Posted by andrewlt
This proves that you don't know anything about what you are saying. There is such a screen in Civ V - under Global Politics.

Furthermore, even if it were missing, it is just a simple UI fix and I fail to see how it is a fundamental, unresolvable "DNA" issue.
No, it's a CORE issue which CAN be fixed, i think with the help of UI changes. That's the whole story. You see, he have a point. Or do you know a shortcut to "view the global politics WHILE the offer is on the table" ?

The advisors are all over the place, EXCEPT when you need them most. That's a CORE problem, sir.

No, it's a CORE issue which CAN be fixed, i think with the help of UI changes. That's the whole story. You see, he have a point. Or do you know a shortcut to "view the global politics WHILE the offer is on the table" ?

The advisors are all over the place, EXCEPT when you need them most. That's a CORE problem, sir.

A core problem is a problem that is tied to the way the game is designed and therefore needs a re-thinking of the whole foundation to be fixed. Having a (already existent) screen displayed when you are in conversation with a leader is hardly a core issue, it's just a simple UI tweak.

Some more quotes from 2k Greg:

The first patch was not AI and Diplomacy focused; there were a couple small changes in there but for the most part it was interface, stability, and bug fixing.

I do understand that you really would like to see improvements in the multiplayer department, but right now the AI and Diplomacy is what we have decided to be the most important part of the game to improve.

Yeah, stability improvements and bug fixes are always going to be part of patches. There is a late turn crash issue we're looking in to now in fact.

I have answered the question before: I don't have any details on forthcoming multiplayer improvements other than the fact that Hotseat and Pitboss will be implemented in a free patch. Right now the focus is on AI and Diplomacy. As soon as this changes, I will let you know.

:thumbsup:

I went over that, stating that , between lines of course , this can be fixed yes, like everything in the game can be fixed, but I was not sure at all that this and many other aspects would be fixed.

I am still convinced they do not want to introduce new features therefore for example the possibility to see the above mentioned screen when you need it most. Correct.

I would be back on this argument after the next patch, I will have to highlights to those guys if I was right or wrong on my esoteric visions ;) ...... or if they simply were dreaming about a bright future when it is clear ( at least to me ) that this will never happen.

Only time will judge who is right and who is wrong on this matter, bets have already been placed by all of us.

Stay tuned, time is passing by quickly :)

-

A core problem is a problem that is tied to the way the game is designed and therefore needs a re-thinking of the whole foundation to be fixed. Having a (already existent) screen displayed when you are in conversation with a leader is hardly a core issue, it's just a simple UI tweak.

Yes, everybody agrees here, it was obvious and implicit that I was arguing about Firaxians mind wideness to decide to fix it or not, not the UI simple tweak.

This is CORE ( Firaxis mind ) , the DNA, yes again.

And now if you want to merge yourselves again all together like jackals against me I drop the ball, I am only waiting for the next patch when Firaxians will miss again an ounce of brain giving naval and air units a proper alghorithm of movement management.

An example ? Already given, no need to detail it or to explain what's written between lines, this is my opinion, this is a forum, you have to live with people who have ideas different from the mass, I am sorry if some republicans here disagree.

-

gunter

you make no sense whatsoever!

Back on topic,

I doubt the patch will make the AI godlike, but hopefully we will be able to interact with the AI a bit more then renewing trade every 30 turn.

I want to be able to threat the AI
tell him not to settle near you. it's limited but it's there already.

I want to be able to bribe the AI to like me
I want to tell him to lay of that attack against a city state or I will DOW
pledge to protect all your cs allies. whenever a major civ attacks one of your CS allies, a conversation text pops up. tell him "you will pay for this" and dow him next turn.

I want to be able to coexist with a neighbour peacefully
don't settle cities in his direction. give him favorable trading terms. go for open borders/POC asap. hope to god that the doesn't mow down all the other civs in your area however b/c when that happens you'll be next regardless of how much you guys like each other. Only way to change this would be to reintroduce vassal states, and who wants to be some computer's b**** while the computer takes out all the other computer players?

There's a lot you can to with diplomacy with a patch, It will improve but I would not expect some kind of miracle.

I miss having friends like in Civ IV.

I know that Shafer and the other guy have said in many interviews that they wanted to change diplomacy in a way that the player could not make the AI do things that were against its best interest. But sometimes those situations make me feel more immersed and are more fun.

In Civ V, I feel like I have no connection with any of the other AI Civs, they just seem like emotion-less robots that will backstab me the moment they have a chance. This is something I hope they address in future updates.

you mean kind of like the way a human player would backstab you while your army was on the other continent? that's just good tactics. maybe the strategic ai is better than we thought.

Yes, everybody agrees here, it was obvious and implicit that I was arguing about Firaxians mind wideness to decide to fix it or not, not the UI simple tweak.

It was a feature that was in previous Civ games, who were developed by... Firaxis ! It will be a feature also in this game as well, I have no idea what DNA you are talking about. The lead designer for Civ5 is the same guy of Civ4 BTS expansion.

And now if you want to merge yourselves again all together like jackals against me I drop the ball

this is my opinion, this is a forum, you have to live with people who have ideas different from the mass, I am sorry if some republicans here disagree.

Lol ?

:lol::lol::lol:

And now if you want to merge yourselves again all together like jackals against me I drop the ball, I am only waiting for the next patch when Firaxians will miss again an ounce of brain giving naval and air units a proper alghorithm of movement management.

The Firaxians....Axis of Fire?

I smell a cool mod idea there. Avatar meets WW2.

I am sorry if some republicans here disagree.

Umm....what?

I sincerely hope that this thread will be read by Fire Axis, there too many good suggestions to take inspiration from that it would be a bad move to patch without listening to customers feedbacks.

I sincerely hope that this thread will be read by Fire Axis, there too many good suggestions to take inspiration from that it would be a bad move to patch without listening to customers feedbacks.

I :lol::lol::lol: at the fact that you consider naval and air units AI management good as they are.

It's adorable that I never said anything about naval or air units on this thread but you saw that I did.

Top Bottom