Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Even with this rants placeholder thread in place, I'm still seeing a lot of 'rants' threads out there.

Not that I'm surprised really. Though I do wonder how many pages THIS thread would be if all other rants were amalmagated into it.

There are those who'd question why rant at the ciV forums at all when you can just get back to cIV. Aah, because $60 is no laughing matter; because the graphical improvements are just too good to pass up (for me anyway - why play Arena when you have Oblivion? - why play sc1 when you've got starcraft 2?); and even if I'd never get a ciV start to mid/late game, I can never get over the promise of a good game though I know I'd never get one.

My only rants about the game:

- I love 1UPT. Units are finally valuable. Positioning finally matters. However, the AI has absolutely no idea what it's doing. In the previous games, it was viable for the AI to send blobs around the map. Now that combat has a strategic focus, the AI is lacking greatly in terms of warfare. It's very easy to decimate the AI even when out-numbered. This is definitely a knock against the AI and not the concept of 1UPT.

- Multiplayer is terrible. No animations, no leaders, laggy, really long turns, tons of bugs, no manual save feature, lack of options, etc. It really, really needs some work.

Only one main reason:

You get attacked right at the very start. Now, I always know that everyone starts a war with you 1-20 turns in and rapes you because they build a bunch of armies that don't require resources. I think that is what ruins this game. I don't want to play a game where I spend $50 and when I play it, I am being attacked without even laying down a second city. I used to enjoy playing Civ3 and Civ4 where you build up your civilization first. If someone attacked you, you atleast had SOMETHING to defend with.
In Civ 5, your workers get raped and your capital is stomped to the ground within 1-20 turns.
I think they need to fix the game's AI abilities pronto because I feel like they are abusing it to a point the player gets bored of playing this game because it's the same damn thing: Attacked at the very start.

Of all the reasons to dislike CiV this isn't one of them.

Man this game is a real dissapointment I thought I was getting the sequal to civ 4, but instead I get a streamlined game that is more like civ rev 2.0 with one exception at least civ rev was fun for a few hours this game is garbage I just returned it to the store what a pece of crap.

dave, prepare for bashing and accusationfest from people unhappy that you didn't like the turd called Civ5. And yeah, I don't care about infra, it's not like I'm posting here a lot nowadays ;)

well I figure that there is mostly fanboys left on the board as I was late getting to this game but nice to see so many people are still here that know this is a crap game. Looks like it has some good mods at least, but moders should not have to fix a game.

Civilization Revolution has too much class to compared to Civilization 5. The fomer knows exactly what it wants to do; it's a game that got rid of many complicated features for the sake of a game that can be played in one setting. When I need a quick civ fix, but don't have the tme to start a real game and see it through, there's always Civ Rev. Its not bad, its just different in the goal, and I can respect that.

However, Civilization 5 fails because it wants to pander to both sides of the fence, so it panders to neither. It wants to be "for thehardcore", but got rid of popular-but-unworked features like religion and espionage. It wants to be "streamlined", but adds a huge combat overhaul, which was well-intentioned but poorly executed. It advertizes that all playstyles and victories are equal, but with an AI that will denounce you if you so much as look at them funny, all it leads is to war. At points, I think they made changes for the sake of changes, like the policy tree.

So, please think before you compare the two games together, think about what they were intended for.

Moderator Action: Moved into rants thread.

Boy when civ V first came out, I thought we'd get post like these for a few weeks, but then weeks dragged into months...

Ah yes, I've totally forgot about "sweep under the carpet, so nobody can see" option :D

@Skwink Caesar
Yeah I know, truth is sometimes so hard to cover up... We Polish people for a century and a half were told that Poland doesn't exist and it didn't work. I imagine Russia was pissed :D

Boy when civ V first came out, I thought we'd get post like these for a few weeks, but then weeks dragged into months...

Newsflash! It's still crappy and a huge disappointment. :lol:

I'm still subscribed to this thread: If for nothing else to confirm why I uninstalled it ;)

I'm not sure what it is about civ 4 that makes it so much better than anything else, since; the familiarity of the interface, the tech development, the seemingly endless challenges and every new game is so different. And then there is the 100's of Civ 4 mods (including my own), many of which I have yet to try.

However, after the trend since Civ 4 - CivRev, Colonisation, many of the younger developers cut their "coding" teeth on these and even the lead designer was a youngling, what could I have expected. It really is nothing more than CivRev 2 for the PC and Mac, Iphone, Android, Xbox, PS3, Wii, PSP, ... so it may make a lot of money initially ... by being portable (watch this space), but it won't have the staying power/re-playability/immersion of Civ 4 ... ever. It's just simply a quick ... it's the end of wonderful franchise ... doomed to play out on an iphone near you ... whoop de do :(

Newsflash! It's still crappy and a huge disappointment. :lol:

I was going to write the same thing. The game in my opinion still sucks. In fact, the only thing that makes me not condemn it further is some of the mods that have been released by the players. And on that point, Firaxis - get off your arse and release the proper dev-tools so the players can fix your game. :rolleyes:

Even then as it stands right now, player mods do not make it playable. I can still beat Civ V at diety difficulty and ffs, I'm not a good player of Civilization.

I don't want to admit it but I think it's now time to start "means-testing" Firaxis' releases. I used to buy anything they'd release without reading a review. Now, I'm not so sure anymore. Their inability to fix what I deem important in Civ V leaves me with a feeling that I've wasted my money. Oh well, this isn't the first game and I'm sure it won't be the last that I'll purchase and then second-guess my purchase down the track.

Top Bottom