Trying to Install BTS... need old activation code?

Kyroshill

Huh?
So I just downloaded BTS on Direct2Drive today.... when I tried to install it, the installer said it needed to upgrade my vanilla to the latest version. It then proceeded to fail to install the patch and aborted the install.

After several tries of this.... I went ahead and installed 1.74 so I could install BTS.

So now the BTS installer says I need to activate 1.74 before I can install BTS.

When I try to activate 1.74, it asks for an activation code. No code came with the patch. I have no idea how to find my original activation code either, since it was also a purchased download.

so what code do I need? I can still play 1.61, but not 1.74... does that make sense?

It's like there are 2 versions on my PC now... Civ IV and Civ 4

I just wanted to try the new lategame stuff.... but I am about to try to get a refund.

Help!

Thanks!

I contacted them.... I don't know where I bought the original.... can't find any email confirmations.... must have deleted them..... guess I'll have to go thru old bank statements.

Anyone have any idea how I find the activation code on my current 1.61?

So now I have 1.61.... 1.74.... and whatever BTS I just downloaded... but can still only play 1.61.... I'd like to at least see the changes I had been avoiding :(

but you did download it, i.e. not a cd/dvd version you are playing?

The problem is that those versions and as far as I know various digital versions out there seem to be having compatibility problems with each other, i.e. you should stick to one distribution. I never heard of activation codes for the patches so I cannot help there - but this really sounds like a digital version. Sorry to be of no further help :(

Edit: there is no activation code for cd/dvd versions - so I suspect its a digital one and that code would need to have been send to you when you purchased it.

Got my original activation code from TryMedia.... is does not work on my 1.74 patch.....

Sounds like I need to get a refund from D2D and buy BTS all over again... to avoid compatibility issues?

look here for the right patch from trymedia - you could then try to install BtS as well - I have my doubts that it will work with the d2d version - but its probably worth a try :)
As you can see in that same thread you are not alone in having BtS install problems with digital versions :gripe:

OK.... downloading patch from TryMedia now..... hopefully this will get somewhere..... hope I can install BTS too... but at this point I doubt it.... will update again...

Thanks for the help so far!!

As expected.... the patch worked.... the BTS still does not..... it is looking for its own version of the software I guess?

BtS looks in the windows registry for whether Civ4 is installed and patched to 1.74 - unfortunately all the digital versions out there use their own versions of registry entries - and thus their BtS installers don't find Civ4 from other sources. The only thing that works reliably is installing any digital version of BtS on a CD/DVD versions of Civ4 and installing a digital version of BtS on a digital version of Civ4 from the same vendor :(

So basically.... if I want BTS, I have to buy Civ 4 all over again....... YEAH RIGHT!! Not a chance!
Can any of this even be LEGAL????

It's not a matter of buying upgrades.... it's being forced to repurchase the original item in order to upgrade.... it's collusion plain and simple..... they know about the incompatibility issues and yet keep selling anyway!

Top Bottom