[QUESTION] How do you use Steam Workshop Mods on the Mac Version?

Iamgoofball

Chieftain
Hey there. As the title says, I am curious on how to enable the Steam Workshop mods for Civilization V on the Mac version. I commented out the "Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true )" section of the MainMenu.lua, and the Mods category showed up.

Only problem was, the only thing there was a Scenario that had came with the game when I installed it, despite my having subscribed to a Steam Workshop file, and there was no "Online" or "Downloaded" buttons at the top of the Mod Browser.

So, the question I have is, How do you get the mods from the Steam Workshop to work properly? Do I have to figure out how to disable my Mongols DLC? Or is it just not possible, and Valve and Firaxis decided that Mac sucks again, and refuse to let Mac users activate the mods?

If this is in the wrong section, please move it to the correct one.

Thanks,
Iamgoofball

Moderator Action: Moved to the Mac forum (unless Alan moves it back).

Although Steam shows the patch that includes the workshop as being available for the Mac version, the version number is still the old one. Ryan from Aspyr has said that we'll likely get the patch sometime in the next few days. Once that happens, I'd guess the workshop will be enabled.

Hi guys. I'm assuming that this is the new forum for this.

I'm on the Mac version too and want to find this Mod menu. I've found the MainMenu.lua file but what should I use to edit the hide menu line?

Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome. :wavey:

Not a new forum - it's been going for nearly two years, since before Civ5 was released.for Mac

I use BBEdit, which has a free baby brother called TextWrangler. But any text editor will do - just don't use a full word processing program.

AlanH

Thanks for this. I was following your help on another forum. I eventually used Open Office to edit the file (before seeing your reply) and, it's there. Is the fact that I used a normal word processor going to be an issue if it seems to have worked?

Sadly the Workshop Mod that I subscribed to isn't. Is that a function of the fact that the workshop hasn't been enabled in the Mac version yet? If it is, are we hoping for it to be done soon? When it is, will it be an automatic update and it will just start working?

From your posts in another forum, I seem to have the Steam version (the files were in the folder that you said they would be). You mentioned that I would need to download the mod but it (RED WWII) Mod but I can't see how I would. Again, I'm assuming that this is a Workshop issue.

Thanks in advance.

Ah! You meant it's a new thread, not a new forum.

If your Mods menu is working then I guess you are OK. Open Office may have saved the file in the same text-only format that it was when it opened it, but not all word processors do that automatically.

You can't get mods from Steam Workshop with the Mac version. We are still on version 1.0.1.511, which is not compatible with Steam Workshop, but even when we update next week, I don't think Steam Workshop will work for us, as Aspyr do not enable mods.

Have you looked for RED WWII here? Note that it will only work in version 1.0.1.511, so if your Steam system auto-updates you to version 1.0.1.674 on Tuesday, the mod will no longer work.

Yes I did mean thread rather than forum.

I usually find Open Office a bit more helpful than the MS version. ;-)

How do I disable automatic updates? I'm pretty sure that they are set to "on" and I'd like to turn it off, for now at least.

Thanks for the help mon brave.

There is an "Automatic Updates" option in the Properties=>Updates tab for Civ5 in Steam. However, I have not tried it myself, and I have seen comments that it doesn't actually stop Civ5 from updating. I'm not sure what the logic of this is, but I understand that the safe way to ensure that it doesn't update is to use the Steam menu in the menu bar, and select "Go Offline"

Actually, the issue here was that the Mac version simply doesn't have the new update yet, that is the issue.

Sorry, you can lock this now, as the issue was found.

Actually, the issue here was that the Mac version simply doesn't have the new update yet, that is the issue.

As stated by previous posters, including myself.

Also as stated - even when your Mac version is patched in the next day or two, it is unlikely to support downloading mods from the Steam Workshop, just as it doesn't support the existing online mods system.

Which means I might ask for a refund on Civ V, considering the only thing Mac users will get is not being able to play Multiplayer with anyone because everyone will be using G&K, and the main part of the update is disabled and won't work.

I may be missing something here. Mods have nothing to do with multiplayer, and, barring some surprise patch, Mac and PC versions of Gods & Kings can play games together.

Anyways, since the original question I had was answered, I would like to ask if a Moderator could lock the topic.

We don't lock topics around here unless there's a very good reason to prevent further debate.

Ooh, ok, I'm sorry about that.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the mod menu will at least be updated so you can use the Online and Installed tabs.

I don't know how else to say it more clearly. Aspyr do not provide support for mods. There is no code in the current versions to access the existing online mods repository, and I will be very surprised if they change that policy now and include code to reach the Steam Workshop mods. But by all means, keep on hoping ....

Yeah, update just came out, and they removed being able to get to MainMenu.lua and commenting out the "Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true )" place.

Good thing I got the Experimenter achievement while I could.

I'm just downloading the Mac version of Gods & Kings now. When I have it, I'll have a look. AspyrRyan says the MainMenu.lua file has been moved. It may still be there. However, someone also says that editing it no longer gives you access to your mods.

I'm thinking about it this way. Gods & Kings is a giant new mod that I'll need a few days to get my hands around and in the meantime those who do the voodoo that they do will figure out the workarounds. It pretty much always happens that way.

Aoxo

Oh well. I hadn't really started using mods yet, was just starting to experiment. Still I'll be interested to hear if anybody finds out how to get the Mods menu back post this new update.

Thanks for now.

Top Bottom