How will my reputation fare in this scenario ???

PhoenixRose

Chieftain
Ok, so I didn't take all the forum advice to NOT go into MPP :blush: & now I'm in a bit of a quandary !!

Here's the leadup to where I am now .... this is the sequence of comms with other civs, each with a turn or two between them.

Unprovoked, the Persians declared war on me (Germany, regent level) & took my town. There were no alliance or MPP agreements with any of the civs at this time.

I sought an alliance against them with the Russians, who had been moving troops into the area anyway. So now the Russians are also at war with Persia.

Eygpt and Persia announced an alliance against Russia.

Egypt & England announced an alliance against Russia.

India agreed to an alliance with me against Persia.

India asked for a MPP with me & as I was already allied with them against Persia, I agreed.

All these alliances/agreements are still in force.

Persia (who is bigger, stronger, more advanced etc than me) offered a peace treaty with no other conditions.

Soooo ... here I am, trying to decide whether to accept the peace treaty or not, & not being really sure of what effect it will have on my rep with other civs.

As it stands, I have one town which Persia would have to take before they could access the rest of my territory by land, so I may be able to hold them off while the MPP & alliance agreements are still active, although Knights/mustketmen are my strongest units, while the Persians have cavalry & bombard ships.

Help :crazyeye: what would some of you more experienced players recommend ?!

Well if you agree to peace all the other civs will still be at war probably for a while. It will screw up your rep a little if you make peace before the 20 turn alliance is over. But they wont declare war on you or anything.

But knights can easily beat cavalry on attack, 4 attack v s 3 defense, and muskets fortified in a town can do ok vs cavs also. I think you should stick it out, most alot of units into your 1 city and hold it. If persia sends considerable troops at you, it will be weak elseware and all the other civs might take a nice chunk out of them.

any way how does the MPP rep work if I have a MPP with Hammuraby (don't ever allow him in ur games ) and he declared war on the persians then they attack and I'm forced into war ........ when can I peacefully make peace ? I saw hammuraby making peace before our MPP expire so can I do the same without rip hit or should I cancel the MPP deal first ?

AFAIK, you don't take rep hits for "breaking" MPP's, just MA's

MPP's require you to declare war on your attacked teammate. It dosen't commit you to continue the war for 20 turns like MA's.

I just beat regent with a diplomatic victory, and I signed peace treaties with MPP's and I didn't notice any rep (or attitude) hits. I had no problem getting them all to gracious (and getting every vote, besides the one that voted for himself).

PhoenixRose said:
I sought an alliance against them with the Russians, who had been moving troops into the area anyway. So now the Russians are also at war with Persia.

India asked for a MPP with me & as I was already allied with them against Persia, I agreed.

All these alliances/agreements are still in force.

Persia (who is bigger, stronger, more advanced etc than me) offered a peace treaty with no other conditions.

Soooo ... here I am, trying to decide whether to accept the peace treaty or not, & not being really sure of what effect it will have on my rep with other civs.

Help :crazyeye: what would some of you more experienced players recommend ?!

Those are the relevant bits. If it less than 20 turns since the deal with Russia, peace now will be breaking your deal, and it will toast your rep.

Peace won't directly toast your rep in any other way. However, as soon as Persia enters Indian territory, it will trigger the MPP, put you right back at war with Persia, and toast your rep for breaking the peace treaty.

First option is either to tough it out until the MPP with India expires, and keep your rep intact. If you can no longer handle war with Persia, your second option is to toast your rep completely, and declare war on India. If you don't declare on India, you'll end up with a toasted rep and still at war with Persia. Next time, don't sign an MPP unless it clearly benefits you.

I guess it depends how badly you want to keep your rep intact.

Taking a PT with Persia before both Russia and India take peace will toast your rep. Also be aware that even if you wait for your allies to accept peace before taking a PT, there's the chance that India will go to war with Persia again before your 20 turn MPP deal is up and you will still lose your rep. This will be very likely if other MPPs are also in force.

What do I recommend? If you are strong enough, tough it out but do not accept any PT until you can cancel the MPP. If you accept peace whilst the MPP is in force, you risk losing your rep. This may mean that Persia's other allies also turn against you. Can you cope with that? The good news is that as soon as they attack you, India will be forced back into the war again. If there are other MPPs in force, this could turn into a horrible struggle but one that you can extracate yourself from as long as you refrain from any more alliances.

If you don't think that you can hold off Persia (allowing for the possibility of Persia's allies also declaring on you), then you may have to accept peace. Losing your rep will restrict your play for the rest of the game though and so it's something that I normally avoid at all costs.

If in doubt, I'd go for the first option. If you are laying the game just for fun, what have you got to lose?

Oh yes, and listen to sanabas. Don't sign an MPP unless you have a very good reason to!

Good luck

Top Bottom