Civ III Gold Edition no-CD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhrun

Chieftain
I bought a perfectly legit copy of Civ III Gold Edition (the packaging says Firaxis, the instructions inside say Take 2 Games) - it comes with two discs:

Civilization III Gold Edition

and

Civilization III Play the World Expansion Pack

Everything appeared to install fine, but when I try to play it says:

Disk read error:

"Please insert Civilization III: Complete Play Disc into CD Drive"

Neither of the discs I have will work. What gives?
Thanks in advance - I noticed a similar thread in the stickies, but that seemed to apply to patches.
Could patching potentially help this problem? No clue when this particular cash-in edition first appeared, or why it's licensed by Take 2 instead of Firaxis (did they buy them out?).

Well, something is certainly mixed up, but the error message is puzzling. Civ3 Gold Edition is the original vanilla Civ3 plus the PTW expansion pack. "Complete", which is the disk it seems to be asking for is a separate version which includes vanilla, PTW and the Conquests expansion. The game shouldn't be asking for the Complete disk if you've never had Conquests installed.

Have you ever had any other version(s) installed? Conquests used to come as a separate disk when it was first released.

The game publisher shouldn't be an issue. At various times the game has been put out by Firaxis, Take2 AND Infogrames, so any of those are legit.

I bought a perfectly legit copy of Civ III Gold Edition (the packaging says Firaxis, the instructions inside say Take 2 Games) - it comes with two discs:

Civilization III Gold Edition

and

Civilization III Play the World Expansion Pack

Everything appeared to install fine, but when I try to play it says:

Disk read error:

"Please insert Civilization III: Complete Play Disc into CD Drive"

Neither of the discs I have will work. What gives?
Thanks in advance - I noticed a similar thread in the stickies, but that seemed to apply to patches.
Could patching potentially help this problem? No clue when this particular cash-in edition first appeared, or why it's licensed by Take 2 instead of Firaxis (did they buy them out?).

A friend of mine (perfectly legitimate, factory sealed copy) is having an identical error. This is a rather large problem, and support for it on the Civ III site is nonexistent.

Moderator Action: Thread closed.

CFC has a strict No Piracy policy. While there may be a legitimate need for a NoCD crack, using said crack is deeped to be piracy here and therefore against the rules.

Contact Firaxis/Take Two if you're having problems with your game.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom