New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. I think it's just a fad Kentharu D:

And when did people start changing their avatar into pokemon/digomon characters?

definitely interested in godhood.

Well, I think I might give another crack at a GodNes. However, I need to kinda figure out how to make sure players aren't totally all powerful. Because eventually a "I hit you" "no you didn't I dodged it" argument is going to come up or some complicated crap. I can make a backstory myself so that no conflicts arise about that, but I'll need an effective way to limit players from running rampant. Here is what I'm leaning towards:

-Make the players more demigod-like, roaming existence with very strong magical abilities, but not truly being omnipotent. Their powers would still be great. They could alter their surroundings with great effort and create minions and stuff. Also, no teleporting. That makes crap way too complicated.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

You should tie a God's power to the number of followers that he has. That would prevent people from going wild and killing everyone, as it would eliminate potential converts. Also, people would not worship someone whose first instinct is to kill.

To reduce God's powers, you should make a sort of statistic for "stamina," They would only be able to cause grand catastrophes very rarely.

You could also have the God's function in a more hands off fashion where their primary purpose would be supporting their followers instead of wandering around the earth and causing havoc.

You should tie a God's power to the number of followers that he has. That would prevent people from going wild and killing everyone, as it would eliminate potential converts. Also, people would not worship someone whose first instinct is to kill.

This, among other things, will decide a God's strength. Another factor, which was present in my last God NES, was the concept of balance. While I don't know how much influence I will have it play in this upcoming NES, in my last one it was pretty influential. The universe/existence would naturally balance itself out, or at least try to when things became unbalanced. If one element or aspect of existence gets too strong, it will gradually become harder and harder for it to remain dominant.

But yeah, there will be an incentive for gods to not go around wiping the floor with puny mortals. But it'll be okay to do it every once and a while ;)

To reduce God's powers, you should make a sort of statistic for "stamina," They would only be able to cause grand catastrophes very rarely.

Yeah, I'm replacing the number based "Effort Point" system with a more vague description of a God's strength and possibly their "health". As a god exerts his or herself, it will be more and more difficult, if not impossible, for them to be able to do large scale miracles or what have you. And if they try to do something large-scale while overexerted things could go horribly wrong.
You could also have the God's function in a more hands off fashion where their primary purpose would be supporting their followers instead of wandering around the earth and causing havoc.

I might implement this, or simply have it be a personal choice for each player on how they want to play. Some gods could sit in the clouds and barely exert themselves, leaving most of the work to their followers, while others could be more directly involved in earthly affairs. Both would have their own advantages and disadvantages.

We could follow my 3-tier system, where there are:

Primary Gods
Gods of universal constants, such as time, light, and... say, entropy. ;) These gods often get few worshippers, but their power is the least tied to human worship. They apply a limited influence everywhere, but struggle to apply powerful influence in any single place.

Secondary Gods
Gods of superhuman concepts and objects, like fire, death, and nature. These gods will get more worshippers, and have a far greater ability to affect local events, while having less wide-ranging powers than the primary gods.

Tertiary Gods
Gods of human concepts, like music, wisdom and war. These gods are far removed from the vast-ranging but thinly spread primary gods, their power stems entirely from their human worshippers. In localized situations, a tertiary god can be massively efficient in converting worship into miraculous powers, but without support they are terribly weakened.

Basically, it is a continuum between having 'universal' powers and having 'human' powers. Universal gods are more constant, while Human gods can have much wilder fluctuations in terms of their capabilities.

I believe that for some gods, 'worship' may come in forms of being utterly afraid of them.

ph'nglui mglw'nafh cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Cthulhu worship has been done. Mehrunes Dagon is where it's at.

No, Hastur shall rule the world!

Better yet, Takhisis. The Seven-Headed Queen shall rise from the Abyss to rule over the realm of mortals. Writhe in agony and pain before Her terrible gaze!

Not too complicated, I like it. Will the pokemon become unruly if you don't get badges like in the game, or could I have no badges and a team of charizards?

I don't want to force players to have to get the badges so no. There are obvious advantages to getting the badges(wealth, prestige etc) but I want players to be able to take their own path. I may include some sort of Trainer Skill or Level which improve pokemon performance in battle slightly and allows for stronger/higher level pokemon but this may be overly complicated. I would like to try to keep things simple.

@Omega124 playing pokemon could be a possibility if there are enough trainers but if not I would rather try to keep things simple otherwise there may not be enough trainers to make a game of it.

@Everyone else what's wrong with a PokeNES? NESing can be about any and everything. :(

Thank you Iggy! Those are some good ideas, and I will likely incorporate them into the NES.

Let me hear what you guys have to say about this stat set-up:

God's Name: Fairly self explanatory
God God Description: Probably just gonna be "God of ______"
Strength: A word from a scale showing the god's strength. Here's said scale:

Pathetic/Puny/Minor/Normal/Strong/Mighty/Titanic

Health: While the players consider themselves gods, they are more like demigods, and can be injured. Any health issues concerning a god will be listed here. Health problems can be fixed over time, although if done by another god the process could be lengthy and difficult.

Description: A description of the god. Duh

Example:

Groga
God of Plants
Strength: Minor
Health: Left eye ripped out. Right hand mauled.
Description: Born in an explosion of growth and blossoming of the world's plants, Groga has quickly dedicated himself to spreading vegetation across existence. In the deserts of Hejuo great cacti grow, green obelisks of Groga's power. And his mighty jungles are rapidly expanding across Aeltol's once flat plains. This expansion hasn't gone unheeded though, Malin-Ka taking the form of a mighty hawk and attempting to end Groga, tearing out his left eye and shredding one of his hands to tatters.

Actually, I've been thinking about God NESes.

Why should the player get to choose his own domain? To begin with, he (gender neutral he) should just be a god, his origins and actions shaping what he is actually a god of as the game progresses. I think it would be interesting to see the trade-off between having small amounts of power one can do anything with, to being an old, powerful god, but with abilities limited to whatever domain his worshipper have shaped for him (which may be unlimited if they believe him to be the one and only god).

I've never particularly liked the mechanics of God NESes. Something more akin to lj's old NES, where the players actually create the world in the most literal sense (albeit with occasionally unexpected results) seems more entertaining and still workable.

@Justo If you are doing a strictly mechanical or dice rolled game (as your choice of co-mod would suggest) why not just use mechanics already present in games that would work in such a NES? The game has a purely mathematical way of resolving encounter rates on routes, experience, accuracy, etc.

I would rather see a PokeNES that is storybased and roleplaying oriented, like fc's suggested model of SteamNES

Top Bottom