civ 2 crashes on windows 7

I've had problems playing Civ 2 on Windows 7 32bit, so quite a while ago I installed XP virtual PC. But that way Civ2 didn't run properly, it was slow and stuttering.
So I didn't play civ2 for quite a while until this friday and just tried starting Civ 2 from windows 7 and it suddenly worked. And I noticed I didn't have the disc inserted. But when I wanted to play again yesterday it stopped working again, with a NTVDM error. And today I started to close applications to see if anything made civ2 not working properly, and noticed i had inserted the cd. And when I ejected the cd and tried again it suddenly worked. So my problem was the cd, which means I can only play without the cd, which means no High Counsil and no music.
Does anyone have a fix for this problem? I'm happy I can play but I really like the high counsil.

I'm having no compatibility options enabled by the way.

I can run civ2- mge on windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I installed the 64 bit patch(I don't remember from where) and it runs fine. My only complaint is with the ever hostile AI. Unfortunately 2.42 will not run on a 64 bit OS. I am trying to find a patch for the hostile AI. Unfortunately, two different patches may pose a problem. During the beta period for windows-7 I tried the XP virtual machine. It looked like it might work, but the heavy cpu usage of civ caused a problem.

I really want my 2.42 back.

Can anyone help me? running windows 7 64-Bit but wont save the game
Am new to this board not sure how to use it to post
Thank you

There may be more than one 64 bit patch out there. I can save and reload games properly. So far, the only abnormal thing I see is that you get a black screen with a rotating circle when you start up. Clicking on the screen gets you started.

Another thing, I get music but after one tune, it stops, sometimes until a windows opens, or some such interrupt.

Did you use the one by mastermindx referenced here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215

Dude!! Thanks!!! It works!!! =)

Civ2 On Windows 7, RLZ! =)

If anyone is still having trouble getting civ 1 & civ 2 running in windows 7 then try this website:
http://www.classicgamingpresents.co...lection-classic-games-windows-vista-p-33.html

They have both civ 1 & 2 packaged with a custom installer for modern operating systems that works. It was $7.70 USD for both civ 1 & civ 2 with their installer but works 100% in one effortless install and is worth every penny. Also you can feel safe buying from them as they accept Paypal as a method of payment.

If anyone is still having trouble getting civ 1 & civ 2 running in windows 7 then try this website:
http://www.classicgamingpresents.co...lection-classic-games-windows-vista-p-33.html

They have both civ 1 & 2 packaged with a custom installer for modern operating systems that works. It was $7.70 USD for both civ 1 & civ 2 with their installer but works 100% in one effortless install and is worth every penny. Also you can feel safe buying from them as they accept Paypal as a method of payment.

@Ltarmstrong3:

Looking at the web site, I can't figure out two things:
1) Is this a way to get 16 bit civ 2.42 to run on a 64 bit OS?
2) Does this fix the music stoppage problem when civ 2.42 is running on 32 bit vista or W7, and not on XP?

yes, i have problems with Win7 64bit :(

i have taken civ2 by classicgames and it runs well, but i wish have it with italian language, :(

a italian conversion of civ2 compatible win 7 64bit is possible?

Hi.
I had the same problem. There was need to download patch file. In my case the file is designed for XP 64 bit but works fine in Win 7 64 bit too (Civ2XP64Patcher.exe)
I have seen this file somewhere on this forum:).
You have to run this file, point Civ2.exe source path and patch it. After run Ciwilization 2 with Win XP SP3 compatibility mode.
http://pages.videotron.ca/masterx/civ2xp64patcher.zip

So, I had a problem with Civ II where as soon as I gave a command to my first settler to build a city, it would crash (Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium).

I downloaded the patch from MastermindX (here on this forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215)

And now the game works great! After an hour or so, the background music started to skip, but sound effects work fine. (It had been so long I forgot how good the music was!)

Anyway, I can finally enjoy one of the best game ever made on Win 7.

(My Civ 2 was installed from the disc that came in the Civilization Chronicles box set, and I applied this patch to MGE. I haven't tried it on TOT, but it supposedly works fine there too.)

Ok, so nothing happened when I saved. So of course, there was no save to load. After moving the directory around as stated above, the issue persisted. However, after switching the compatibility mode from win 95 to win xp sp3, I could save the game. BUT, when I load the save, the game crashes..... :confused: I'm stumped at this point.

edit: sorry for double post. Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled Civ Chronicles (where my Civ II MGE is from) and that didn't help. I also ran the latest update for MGE. Now the game doesn't even play, let alone save. :cringe:

I hate windows 7.

EDIT: I changed the filepath for Civilzation II to be in "program files" instead of "program flies (x86)". Then I used Mastermind's patch. Now it plays fine (no compatibility), loads, saves, autosaves, never crashes. BUT, the music skips after a while, and the heralds, council, intro, and wonder movies are just a black space. At least it plays. :)

Hi.
I had the same problem. There was need to download patch file. In my case the file is designed for XP 64 bit but works fine in Win 7 64 bit too (Civ2XP64Patcher.exe)
I have seen this file somewhere on this forum:).
You have to run this file, point Civ2.exe source path and patch it. After run Ciwilization 2 with Win XP SP3 compatibility mode.
http://pages.videotron.ca/masterx/civ2xp64patcher.zip

Thanks man you know your stuff it works finally!!)) Thanks alot:)):D

I had a really cool game, pretty advanced (my spaceship landed but I love to play till whole map is mine) and I was so afraid I've lost it. The patch worked perfectly, I have no problems with the game whatsoever :)

You could play by using Windows XP Mode or Virtual PC.
Here's the link from Microsoft.

I would like to add my wholehearted thank you as well. I was seriously considering creating a dual boot system just so I can play Civ II as well. You ingenuity and easy to follow instructions made it so easy to forego that solution and now just play it on my new Windows 7 system. Thank you so very, very much gurus!!!

Top Bottom