Indonesia Civ

civilleader

Prince
I decided that in addition to the Khmer, we need one more Southeast asian civ. Its either Indonesia, or Polynesians. Ilike Indonesia more, since it is the world's largest islamic nation and the fourth largest nation populationwise, on the globe. I think it could be modled after India or China, ie. 20th century leader w/ GL from previous times.

I personally Like Sukarno as Leader.

Here is a city list so far: (added Malaysia, Singapore into this civ, since they speak nearly the same language.) Tell me if I'm incorrect.

Jakarta
Surabaya
Semarang
Medan
Palembang
Ujungpadang
Samarinda
Balikapan
Jambi
Banjarmasin
Jayapura
Pontianak
Surakarta
Malang
Yogyakarta
Badung
Manado
Banda Aceh
Tanjungbalai
Singapore
Mataram
Denpasar
Bogor
Cianjur
Palangkaraya
Bandar Seri Begawan
Kuala Lumpur
Kota Baharu
Kota Yerengganu
Ipoh
Padang
Garut
Sumenep
Raba
Memboro
Enda
Dili
Ocussi
Tepa
Saumlaki
Kokas
Sorong
Manokwari
Bosnik
Serui
Sarmi
Kepi
Birab
Meruake
Ambon
Bula
Piru
Wayabula
Galela
Weda
Labuha
Talok
Palu
Sinkang
Sinjali
Bantaeng
Majene
Watampone
Kumai
Dumai
Sibu
Magelang
Puwokerto
Saumlaki
Sinabang
Gunungsitoli
Padangsidempuan
Binjai
Sibolga
Bukittingi
Taiping
George Town
Alor Setar
Melaka
Serembang
Labuha
Tual
Banyuwangi
Turban
Kota Kinabalu
Bintulu

Oops, I took cities from Brunei, and East Timor too. My logic is that the extended city lists for India have Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi cities, therefore I think Indonesia could have one too.

We definitely need one more civ to populate the Southeast Asian islands. They're too different from the peninsular Indochinese to be lumped together with the Khmers or the Siamese.

IMO no problem adding Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore to this civ. I actually think you should add Philippines to this also, but call this civ "the Malays" instead of Indonesian. That would take care of any current "nationalistic" problems.

Historically, all these nations actually shared the same racial, religious and cultural stock before European colonization divided them and they then developed separately.

Indonesia had its pre-colonial moments of glory - the Srivijaya and Majapahit empires. Malaysia too - the Malacca Sultanate. You can research on these and find some more cities and leaders for this civ. Do keep Indonesia as the major component because they were the largest power in the area then. (and even maybe now.)

I also nominate Philippines' Dr. Jose Rizal for Malay civ scientific GL. :)

All right, I added a few cities since I last posted, I think I'll add the Philippenes too then if all agree. But for nation name, should we make it the Mahajaphit Empire, since that did unify the archepelago? The Malays is an adjective, not a proper noun to, to describe the empire though, so what to do about that. What would be the unique unit? I think some sort of sea vessel, since that's where they were the best. Otherwise, an elephant archer or some thing. What would you say about the leader. Who should it be. Now with so many "malay" nations, I think Hayam Wuruk would be the best over Sukarno, agreed?

For naval UU some sort of oversized outrigger canoe with troop carrying capacity I guess. But this would come quite early in the tech tree.

For land UU some fanatical kris-wielding half naked warrior. These guys would have rope tied to strategic points along their bodies, arms and legs to restrict circulation, and fed potions before being sent off to battle. The result is a warrior that feels no pain, can take lots of hack and arrow wounds, and will continue to fight until collapsing and dying from massive loss of blood. I don't know how to implement this in the game though. :D

Here's some pictures of the kris. It's a dagger with a wavy blade.

I can make a guy UU wearing a sarong but I haven't found the proper weapon yet (and there are other units queued in at my palette-maker's now) but I could maybe make it.

religious, even today in indonesia, every person is required to register as a Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist. It is the largest islamic nation in the world. They adopted other people's religions as their own very quickly, ie. Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam.

For Your Information,

in indonesian map, some of the cities name spelled like this:
Balikapan -> Balikpapan
Badung -> Bandung (badung means naughty in indonesian :D)
Meruake -> Merauke

also IMHO you are missing some important cities there:
Surabaya, Medan, Karawang.

:)

Thanks, Surabaya and Medan are at the very beginning. Fpr spme reason I never found Karawang on the atlas I was using. How big is it?

I tend to mispell things. Thanks for the feedback.

Being an indonesian regen2ndx, do you agree with Hayam Wuruk as GL for an indonesian civ?

I added a new word to my bhasa vocabulary! I used to have
Selamat Datang-Welcome
Keluar-Exit
Pintu-Door
Duduk-Seat

now I know Badung! (I was in Malaysia for a day, picked up a little bhasa in the process.)

Cool,
The land unique unit, if implemented, could be named Pendekar( Warrior in Malay)

I'm Malaysian.

Hm, I'm a bit confused. So are Indonesians, Malaysians, and Phillippinos, all part of a greater "malay" group, sort of lik the dutch germans and austrians are all germanic?

I prefer indonesia having a unique naval unit, since there are so many islands, and they defeated Genghis Khan in naval warfare. Right now temporarily I have indonesia in my game with cities, GL as Hayam Wuruk, the appropriate military leaders, and religious and expansionist traits. I'm playing PtW still. The Polynesian Hokulea is a temporary UU, and Tangaloa by Sween32 is the leaderhead. This will all change once I get a UU and Leaderhead. I prefer though a boat since thats how they've been playing for a while. If you all believe in a land UU, then I'll buy that though.

Are the Dutch are considered as German still, aaminion00? I thought that ended in the 1500's.

Originally posted by civilleader
Are the Dutch are considered as German still, aaminion00? I thought that ended in the 1500's.

I never said German.

Originally posted by civilleader
Thanks, Surabaya and Medan are at the very beginning. Fpr spme reason I never found Karawang on the atlas I was using. How big is it?

I tend to mispell things. Thanks for the feedback.

Being an indonesian regen2ndx, do you agree with Hayam Wuruk as GL for an indonesian civ?

I added a new word to my bhasa vocabulary! I used to have
Selamat Datang-Welcome
Keluar-Exit
Pintu-Door
Duduk-Seat

now I know Badung! (I was in Malaysia for a day, picked up a little bhasa in the process.)
actually Karawang is noat a big city at all, but it is an important city since it produce rice a lot.

Hayam Wuruk as GL? Unfortunately I don't know much about history. So I can't say I agree or disagree.

more vocabulary :D good for you.

:)

I think their civ traits should be commercial and religious.

They ancient Malay empire plays and important role in trading between east(China) and west(India and Arabs) in the past.

Religious because they receive influences from Hinduism(Srivijaya and Majapahit) and Islam(Malacca Sultanate).

What do yoiu guys think?

Top Bottom