Sid Meier on CNN.com

Civrules

We the People
They announced that last year. It has been known for a while, though updates are few and far between.

I thought it was a video interview. Anyways, nothing new. Just the same stuff Sid has been talking about for awhile now.

So it's gonna be out by next winter?! Awesome!

Interesting article! Nicely explains how much of a different ballpark this is.

I shuddered at the grainy Civ5 image at the top, though.

My two cents:

Like anything on Facebook, a waste of time and effort.
I know the social aspect is what Sid is aiming for but I prefer a fully featured Civ game with more *social* features than a fully fledged social *site* with Civ lite.

Now, if Civ 6 (or Civ 5 with Service Pack 10) adds optional integration with Facebook, then fine, but I still expect a fully fledged game (or fixed game) that doesn't force me to get into Facebook (or GameSpy or Steam or...)

The next Civ it's going to be on the twitters, and the Androids and the Macintosh's Pads too.

The funny thing is that facebook users couldn't care less if they are playing the original or not, Zynga's finest efforts are poor copies of other successful games (yet they work).

I know that throwing the buzzword "on facebook..." works great on your usual shareholder meeting, because whatever "on facebook" and "on twitter" means doesnt really matter. What matters is the boys at firaxis are being proactive, doing lateral thinking, and immersion and web 2.0. Because that's were the synergy is within the cloud computing, going guerrilla style in the street.

And change you can believe in, you betcha.

I'm not attempting to be a troll, just trying to interject community opinion here -- I don't think it's physically possible for me to care less than I currently do about Facebook Civilization.

Console Civilization (Civ Revolution) was utter garbage, and yes I own it and have played it. It's not possible for me to imagine how Facebook web-browser Civilization could be less crappy than Civ Revolution.

I know these dumbed-down games are meant to appeal to the siren song of the "non-gamer", but are the denizens of this forum really non-gamers? I really don't think so.

It's clearly not civfanatics that Sid is trying to win over with this move, and that's fine. If you consider this "the next civ" you'l be disappointed, but you'll be making a mistake. Yes, it's a completely different direction, but I think they know that, and I get the sense that they want to keep the facebook/console stuff separate from the core of the series. So don't play it if you don't like it, but I hope there's minimal kvetching about the death of civilization from people who try it and don't enjoy it. This clearly hasn't conflicted with patching Civ 5 into something good (not quite right yet, but getting closer every patch and certainly an enjoyable game at this point) and I don't yet have reason to think it will.

I use facebook but have never bothered with the games. I think if implemented right it can work. It wouldn't be comparable with civ V though.

Although this certainly has alot of potential I think the risk of failure is pretty big. Sid apperently just wants to get on the social media bandwagon. Which is fine ofcourse, but for a complex game like Civ he'd have more succes in perhaps ten years or so. When social media has taken a more permanent form, is used more troughout the world and the technical capabilities in general are more advanced.

It's clearly not civfanatics that Sid is trying to win over with this move, and that's fine. If you consider this "the next civ" you'l be disappointed, but you'll be making a mistake. Yes, it's a completely different direction, but I think they know that, and I get the sense that they want to keep the facebook/console stuff separate from the core of the series. So don't play it if you don't like it, but I hope there's minimal kvetching about the death of civilization from people who try it and don't enjoy it. This clearly hasn't conflicted with patching Civ 5 into something good (not quite right yet, but getting closer every patch and certainly an enjoyable game at this point) and I don't yet have reason to think it will.

didnt patch a single thing in multiplayer to date, and i dont play mind numbing ai

I'm getting really tired of Facebook starting to dominate everything.

Not me. The more time my wife spends on facebook, the more time I get to spend playing Civ :D

I would love to see a spectacular fail of this product.

I totally agree. The entire Facebook game model is repellant to me - con people into buying fluff for a game; rope your friends into making profits for the game company. The gameplay is deliberately designed to be repetitive and ultra-easy (for the "casual" crowd.) And if it works there won't be a new Civ (at best); any Civ game they design will be aimed at the dollar signs, e.g. the Facebook crowd, and it will make Civ Rev look deep and complicated.

Every facebook user is an exceptional individual.And this game will fail.

Top Bottom